Melbourne Football

Anthony Caceres

strider

3 hours ago, Deviant said:

Everyone will develop better without mooy.

Happy to sacrifice one player, Mooy, for the good of the overall team.

Furthermore, I look forward to the ACL where Mooy won't play due to being sold.

Note: I'm not Mooy bashing, he's outstanding and deserves to be sold to a euro club.

I'm terrified tbh

Note: I'm not Mooy bashing, he's outstanding and deserves to be sold to a euro club.

I've said this for a long time. For all his ability he is a classic hog.

I can't believe how many times he has the opportunity to pass the ball to a free man in a better position but instead goes for the touchline and tries to pass three players with some deft footwork.

People continue to be blinded by the number of assists he makes. Well? He should be doing this. That's what his role is supposed to do. Put Caceres in there, he'll probably do that as well in time so don't write him off too early. But he will not get the chance because JVS has no other tactical ideas other than to "get it to Mooy".

We could be better off without Mooy. We were better without Villa as well. We've become so one-dimensional and besotted with "get the ball to Mooy" that other teams have worked him and us out. Watch the last few games and see how many times Mooy was dispossessed in mid-field which led to problems elsewhere on the pitch. I think it was young Oxborrow who marked him out of most of one match that had Mooy in tears at half time because he couldn't cope with being man-marked.

This statement is controversial no doubt. I'm sure many will disagree.

I think Mooy is a gifted footballer who thinks he has to do all the work himself and forgets that it is a team game. Perhaps some may argue that those around him are spuds, but they will continue to remain that way if Mooy tries to take on the world himself.

• Like 1

Too many times, people neglect the easy pass to a person making a run and pass the ball to Mooy. Heaping more pressure onto him than needed.

1 hour ago, Nate said:

I'm terrified tbh

lol of what? Only good can come of this! Either JVS gets sacked, or JVS gets 'promoted' away from the club. 

3 minutes ago, Ray said:

I've said this for a long time. For all his ability he is a classic hog.

I can't believe how many times he has the opportunity to pass the ball to a free man in a better position but instead goes for the touchline and tries to pass three players with some deft footwork.

People continue to be blinded by the number of assists he makes. Well? He should be doing this. That's what his role is supposed to do. Put Caceres in there, he'll probably do that as well in time so don't write him off too early. But he will not get the chance because JVS has no other tactical ideas other than to "get it to Mooy".

We could be better off without Mooy. We were better without Villa as well. We've become so one-dimensional and besotted with "get the ball to Mooy" that other teams have worked him and us out. Watch the last few games and see how many times Mooy was dispossessed in mid-field which led to problems elsewhere on the pitch. I think it was young Oxborrow who marked him out of most of one match that had Mooy in tears at half time because he couldn't cope with being man-marked.

This statement is controversial no doubt. I'm sure many will disagree.

I think Mooy is a gifted footballer who thinks he has to do all the work himself and forgets that it is a team game. Perhaps some may argue that those around him are spuds, but they will continue to remain that way if Mooy tries to take on the world himself.

Sorry mate that is just wrong.

• Like 1

That's OK. Just stating what I believe.

I'm not saying he is a bad player - far from it. It's just that he'd be a better player if he played differently.

Let's see when he goes to another club and see if he plays in exactly the same way. I hope sincerely that he does get a huge offer to a better club and becomes even more successful.

I just don't think he will be allowed to play like he does now and enjoy not having the freedom to run around and do whatever he pleases. That's perhaps what Poppa didn't like about him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ray said:

That's OK. Just stating what I believe.

I'm not saying he is a bad player - far from it. It's just that he'd be a better player if he played differently.

Let's see when he goes to another club and see if he plays in exactly the same way. I hope sincerely that he does get a huge offer to a better club and becomes even more successful.

I just don't think he will be allowed to play like he does now and enjoy not having the freedom to run around and do whatever he pleases. That's perhaps what Poppa didn't like about him.

I think he's been down on what he produced early this season and late last, but he has been carrying that rib injury.

His work ethic is phenomenal. He has high figures in tackles and also distance traveled so clearly he works hard both ways and does it better than any other player in the league. I don't think he just ambles around and does what he pleases or what's easy. He often plays what's best for the team. Can't remember the game but a player from the opposition actually man marked him for a good 60mins. So he basically took himself into areas that opened up for the rest of the team and unbalanced the opposition and he still had an influence late. 

We will be a worse team without him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mulhollanddrive said:

Can't believe what people have said about Mooy here!

That he's a good player? and deserves a berth in Europe? 

Atrocity!

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I think he's been down on what he produced early this season and late last, but he has been carrying that rib injury.

His work ethic is phenomenal. He has high figures in tackles and also distance traveled so clearly he works hard both ways and does it better than any other player in the league. I don't think he just ambles around and does what he pleases or what's easy. He often plays what's best for the team. Can't remember the game but a player from the opposition actually man marked him for a good 60mins. So he basically took himself into areas that opened up for the rest of the team and unbalanced the opposition and he still had an influence late. 

We will be a worse team without him. 

We're a worse team if we don't look up and see the other runs off the ball that the likes of fornaroli and novillo make. 

He's a good player, individual brilliance! But for the team as a collective to take that next step, won't happen with him in the team. He's too much of a ball magnet.

1 hour ago, loriente said:

For what it's worth, the Fox commentary team (who are far from reliable) did say that Caceres was nominally a holding midfielder before he was converted into a 10 by the Mariners after Rogic was sold.

Fox commentators aren't right. Caceres played all his youth football as an AM. Available information shows that he was introduced to the defensive role by GA. When Moss took over he played in both positions and TW definitely used him as an AM. I really think that if JVS changes formation to a 4-4-3 or 4-4-2, these will allow both Mooy and Caceres to be the playmakers. We'll be in for a treat of high quality football while "el tuna" and "le Novillo" will get tired of scoring goals.

Caceres as a 10 @ Mariners:https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dfw-ZXUWFhfA&h=rAQHaw3DI

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

Fox commentators aren't right. Caceres played all his youth football as an AM. Available information shows that he was introduced to the defensive role by GA. When Moss took over he played in both positions and TW definitely used him as an AM. I really think that if JVS changes formation to a 4-4-3 or 4-4-2, these will allow both Mooy and Caceres to be the playmakers. We'll be in for a treat of high quality football while "el tuna" and "le Novillo" will get tired of scoring goals.

If and only if jvs changes from his incessant 352 against everyone. Good managers analyse opposition teams and set out there stall accordingly. 253 is ok against some but not all teams.

• Like 1

Interesting. I'm not quite sure why we are discussing Aaron Mooy in the Caceres thread, but we are. IMO some of what Ray says about Mooy is correct. He is a very good player at A-League level, and worthy of being a marquee, but it's not a good idea for us to rely on him as the only playmaker. IMO the whole point of us signing Caceres was to give us more options in that area, and for Caceres to play the AM role that Koren was supposed to but didn't. I still think that that's CFG's plan going forward.
We hired Michael Petrillo specifically for list management and I think he's working on that with CFG going forward. Somehow we've worked out a way to accommodate the "Lampard Rule" and IMO we'll see Luke Brattan and Caceres with us next season as well as Mooy if we can keep the latter.
TBH I'll be surprised if Mooy goes anywhere outside the CFG. If he's really keen to go elsewhere I can see him being signed by Manchester City and then sent out on loan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, possiblygeorge said:

Heard from a mate that there was a problem between Koren & Mooy, Koren asked the Club it's either him or Mooy (gone) and that resulted in Koren's termination 

That must've been a choice to make...

EDIT: Shit, @GreenSeater beat me to it in the other thread haha

Edited by hakz7
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rass said:

1st yellow was a little unlucky, but also a messy tackle.

2nd was a pure payback reaction from the ref to his no-goal fuckup.

Agree totally with your comments.

The issue in this case isn't Caceres. He's not a dirty player by any means.  played 69 games for the mariners and was never sent off. The problem are the poor level of referees in Australia.

They're shocking. There isn't a game in the HAL where a ref goes unnoticed. Imo, they don't have the football "savy", culture, smart.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wfc_10 said:

Is he out for 3 games now?

Pretty certain he's just out for the 1 game again:

Further to clause 6.4, unless otherwise specified in the A-League competition rules, a Player who accumulates the following number of direct Red Cards during the Regular Season or Finals Series, must serve the following Mandatory Match Suspension:

(a) 1st occasion, equates to a one (1) match suspension;

(b) 2nd occasion, equates to a one (1) match suspension;

(c) 3rd occasion, equates to a two (2) match suspension; and

(d) 4th occasion, equates to a three (3) match suspension,

to be served in the Club’s next A-League Match(es) and/or FFA Cup Match(es), (whichever come(s) first).

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/dct/ffa-dtc-performgroup-eu-west-1/A-League%20Disciplinary%20Regulations%20Season%202014-15%20FINAL_o2u9n4jo7miv1sxdcfmyixsq8.PDF

Caceres has lucked out with the refs, but I'm tipping him to bounce back in his next game.

Edited by Murfy1

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's direct red cards. Caceres hasn't had one of those.

Interesting. Just from my faulty memory, I can't remember a player getting any red (either a straight red or two yellows) and playing the following week. They always get suspended for a red regardless, don't they?

Yes. And I've just read the latest rules I can find, and it's clear to me that an "indirect red card" - i.e. a red card issued as the result of two yellow cards during the same match, is punishable by a one-match suspension only. Not only that, the yellows do not count in the accumulation of yellow cards.

Caceres will therefore serve a one-match suspension.

• Like 1

Looking forward to see Caceres play against the nix. Agree what most people say about Mooy here and that he can only improve and perhaps, the only way for that to happen is for him to play in a better league and for us to move on and imrpove the squad by adding a different player. However, we should all enjoy watching him play with el-tuna and co while they are all here. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yep, agreed. Caceres really needed to step up last night, and he certainly did so. He was great on the ball, and linked well with the front 2 ( and the 2 wingers). I think that goal last week did him the word of good confidence-wise. I wonder if JVS will try and fit him into the team once Mooy is back? Only option I can see ( if we keep 4-4-2) is on the left of midfield drifting in- probably with Zullo going back to LB.

On 1/31/2016 at 8:35 AM, Deviant said:

Bump.

Big fan of Caceres by the way.

It'd be a big loss if both mooy and him leave. 

and his mrs can play, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Melbourne City signing Adrian Caceres aiming to repay faith club showed in him with title win [sic]

April 15, 2016

Matt Windley

ANTHONY Caceres says he knew deep down that Melbourne City would be his ultimate destination once Manchester City came calling.

But while he’s not sure what the future holds post-season, Caceres is hellbent on “rewarding the faith” shown in him by helping his team win a maiden A-League title.

Through no fault of his own, the 23-year-old was the centre of league-wide controversy in January when Manchester City signed him from Central Coast before loaning him to Melbourne for six months.

A-League clubs are not able to pay transfer fees to each other, so The City Group swoop — while legal — was criticised by opposition clubs.

Caceres said it was easy enough to block out the furore.

He was just chuffed a global giant like Manchester City saw fit to sign him.

“It was unbelievable,” Caceres said.

“To tell you the truth, it’s not something that seemed possible — especially in the position the Mariners were — to attract interest from a club like that.

“The City Group saw something they liked in me and I obviously had no hesitation in jumping at such an opportunity.

“Being loaned out to Melbourne City, I couldn’t have asked for a better environment to come in to.

“I was over the moon about it and I just want to reward the faith they’ve put in me by continuing to improve and hopefully winning something this year.”

The midfielder said when he signed all he knew was that “it was for The City Group”, not specifically which club.

“I didn’t know straight away it was going to be Melbourne,” he said.

“But my heart told me it would be, it turned out that way and I couldn’t be happier.”

That fellow former Mariner Nick Fitzgerald, one of his best mates, also signed in January helped the transition.

What didn’t help Caceres was the fact he copped red cards in his second and third games for City.

“I’ve never had a red card in my life,” he said.

“Coming to a new club and having that happen — twice — wasn’t easy. But (coach John van’t Schip) was very supportive and understanding of my situation, that it wasn’t something that happened intentionally.”

Playing at a new club and in a new role as a more defensive midfielder has been an adjustment.

But while the Sydneysider said he has room to improve, he also feels as if he’s finding his feet.

“When I can get on the ball and try to start play, that’s when I’m at my best.

“I’m never completely satisfied with my performances, I always find areas where I can improve.

“Luckily I’m in the right environment to do that.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-signing-adrian-caceres-aiming-to-repay-faith-club-showed-in-him-with-title-win/news-story/8ab08201ab4022265eb36f88288869f9

Interesting article that confirms what many have suspected: that there are now players that don't belong or play for any club per se, but instead belong to "The City Group".

Edited by Murfy1