Melbourne Football

Nathaniel Atkinson

Murfy1

I'm confused. How is Warren Joyce a "speed hump" in Atkinson's career?? Joyce gives him regular game time week in week out. He's on a pro contract until 2020 and he's played something like 25 games or more in the A League. The kid has been given opportunity after opportunity (A League every game, Young Socceroos, Olyroos camps). Sorry I must be missing how Joyce is to blame for Atkinson's career hitting a speed hump. Surely any slide backwards in performance has to be Atkinson's own fault??

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Tomi said:

I'm confused. How is Warren Joyce a "speed hump" in Atkinson's career?? Joyce gives him regular game time week in week out. He's on a pro contract until 2020 and he's played something like 25 games or more in the A League. The kid has been given opportunity after opportunity (A League every game, Young Socceroos, Olyroos camps). Sorry I must be missing how Joyce is to blame for Atkinson's career hitting a speed hump. Surely any slide backwards in performance has to be Atkinson's own fault??

Not necessarily. Game time is a huge part of the equation, the other parts are being played in your natural position, clear game plan, clear instructions and a team that is comfortable playing together. One of the frustrating things following this club is the number of players that have been played out of position week in week out. WJ is the latest knob to do this. Last year NA was full of confidence playing as a winger with an attacking mindset. And as is clearly evident, WJ game plan is to park the bus and when going forward to score from a set piece. This season...

If some of the other youth scholarship holders were given 25 games like Atkinson i think they would have developed into far better footballers by comparison. Joyce needs to change his tact, put atkinson out of the team for a period and try some of the other players available to him. This Atkinson experiment has gone on to long now and is not bringing the results. No more excuses for Atkinson, play well with consistency in any of the positions you are asked to play in or get off the pitch. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Time for a bump. 

Promising first start for him. He was in the wars early on and grew into the game. Some lovely chipped passes that should’ve been converted. He was creative and solid defensively yesterday. What I also like about him is he’s got a bit of mongrel. 

He’s more comfortable on the wing given that’s where he has mostly played but it’s often said that it’s easier to learn the defensive side of the game than the attacking side, so converting wingers to fullbacks is simpler than the reverse. I think he could make that spot his but Jamieson will probably walk straight back in and Galloway shifts back over. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, haz said:

Unfortunately will lose his spot to Jamieson the moment he is back.

If we genuinely believe in promoting talent then that would be a travesty. Like Glover, Metcalf and Genreau, we should simply be working on the basis that if you're good enough, you're old enough. And he was not only serviceable cover last night, he was the best player on the pitch for us, good defensively, but able to move quickly into an attacking role. His speed of thought, his movement and his physical commitment were all exemplary. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I also like that the noise around McArthur has gone away, we saw how the Tommy Oar stuff snowballed up until an announcement pretty quickly so hoping it’s a sign that he’s staying on with us.

I could be wrong but I believe he’s homegrown which means he’s partially exempt from the cap for us?

6 hours ago, Deluka said:

I also like that the noise around McArthur has gone away, we saw how the Tommy Oar stuff snowballed up until an announcement pretty quickly so hoping it’s a sign that he’s staying on with us.

I could be wrong but I believe he’s homegrown which means he’s partially exempt from the cap for us?

Yep he’s Homegrown made him first senior appearance at our club and came though our academy 

• 6 months later...
On 11/02/2020 at 10:24 AM, Harrison said:

Well done to this kid, 50 senior appearances and still just 20 years old. Has played really well since the Olyroos ban and it’s always good to see him in the XI. 

I really like the way he plays, he’s a modern fullback who is a playmaker from out wide. I can’t help but see some similarities to Trent Alexander Arnold, not just in the way he plays that position but also that he’s come through the Academy and become a proper senior player before he was 20.

Hope he plays out the season and we re-sign him because his contract is up soon. 

Can’t believe he’s going now. Obviously we don’t know what happened with demands and things like that but this is a weird one because Atkinson is a prospect with a fair bit of upside. Good luck to him though because he might be our next Socceroo bombing down the right wing. 

23 minutes ago, neio said:

Have to give him some credit then, his standards or passion didn't decrease the slightest. If anything they went up

Interesting to know if the rest of the squad knew, but more importantly if Mombarets knew?

For a coach to play a player leaving isn't common. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think clubs are entitled to approach a player coming out of contract without notifying the player's current club.

Hmmm perhaps, but I don't think it's ethically the way to go - and I am sure the current club would then be entitled to deal with the new club much less respectfully when that time comes around again in the future.

1 hour ago, rass said:

Hmmm perhaps, but I don't think it's ethically the way to go - and I am sure the current club would then be entitled to deal with the new club much less respectfully when that time comes around again in the future.

Is it even confirmed that Perth approached him. It very may well have been Atkinson's agent looking to get him whatever it is he wanted that we couldn't or wouldn't offer.

30 minutes ago, malloy said:

Is it even confirmed that Perth approached him. It very may well have been Atkinson's agent looking to get him whatever it is he wanted that we couldn't or wouldn't offer.

Clubs are allowed to approach players without consent from the club if they have 6 months or less remaining on their contract 

13 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Clubs are allowed to approach players without consent from the club if they have 6 months or less remaining on their contract 

I am not disputing that, I am responding to Rass' comment saying that Perth may have acted unethically or immorally by approaching Atkinson (even if it is within the rules).

What I am querying is whether we are even certain that Perth initiated the contact (as it may have been Atkinson's agent approaching other clubs) and if Perth didn't initiate contact then have they acted unethically or immorally?

Crikey.

if I was Perth and a player like Atkinson hadn’t been re-signed by his silly club I’d be approaching him. 
In fact, to be clear, if I was the Chairman and my football manager felt “it was unethical”, I’d fire him and get someone who was competent in his place. Not going to get too far if you aren’t even willing to play by the rules.
Losing Atko is purely down to us I’m afraid.

12 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Crikey.

if I was Perth and a player like Atkinson hadn’t been re-signed by his silly club I’d be approaching him. 
In fact, to be clear, if I was the Chairman and my football manager felt “it was unethical”, I’d fire him and get someone who was competent in his place. Not going to get too far if you aren’t even willing to play by the rules.

Yes. Entirely down to us. We either didn't want him, asked him to stay but didn't offer him enough, or didn't tell him that we wanted him, or couldn't be fucked telling anyone anything... 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Crikey.

My post was merely trying to say that people shouldn't be saying that Perth's behaviour was unethical because we don't even know what their behaviour was.

IMO it is quite possible that Atkinson's manager was the one that approached Perth.

There were rumours of Perth' and WU's interest in Atkinson in May/June 2019. Atkinson may have turned down an offer back then on the hopes of forcing his way into our starting lineup. With that looking less likely in January, his manager  could have approached Perth and WU to see if they were still interested.

Now regardless of whether Atkinson or Perth were the ones to initiate contact is irrelevant imo. I agree that we are at fault for letting it get to that stage.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, malloy said:

I am not disputing that, I am responding to Rass' comment saying that Perth may have acted unethically or immorally by approaching Atkinson (even if it is within the rules).

What I am querying is whether we are even certain that Perth initiated the contact (as it may have been Atkinson's agent approaching other clubs) and if Perth didn't initiate contact then have they acted unethically or immorally?

Just to be clear, I didn't say Perth acted unethically nor did i say that Perth approached Atkinson. I just responded to JW's comment with my own opinion that I think it is unethical for any club to approach a player from another club, without also letting that club know they're doing it... but i do get that it happens; it's just my opinion.

I don't know what happened in Atkinson's case, but whatever did, it's clear it happened quite a while ago.

59 minutes ago, Nate said:

Given the rumours of Wales's potential departure as well, I can't help but put on my trashy tabloid hat and wonder whether the Cambodia incident had anything do with him being pushed to move on.

IMO a good chance that this is a factor. Novillo was pushed out because of an alleged domestic dispute. One can debate whether a football club should have standards of off-field behaviour, but I guess that many employers do have such standards.

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO a good chance that this is a factor. Novillo was pushed out because of an alleged domestic dispute. One can debate whether a football club should have standards of off-field behaviour, but I guess that many employers do have such standards.

Well on that note, Wales won’t be renewed yay!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

The club still haven’t announced Atkinson departure 

Take from this that it may not be over. Looked to me like Perth tried to bounce it, and I suspect the player sees the world differently to February. So much is in flux that this could all change again. Right now the move to Perth looks bonkers. They're in turmoil, haven't paid their players, barely turned up for the post lockdown season, and don't have a manager. Why would you leave one of the two clubs paying wages consistently, where you're a regular pick, performing well, a terrace hero, and who have just been edged in the GF? And your former youth team manager, who rates you, has just taken over. Not over until the fat lady warbles I reckon... 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Take from this that it may not be over. Looked to me like Perth tried to bounce it, and I suspect the player sees the world differently to February. So much is in flux that this could all change again. Right now the move to Perth looks bonkers. They're in turmoil, haven't paid their players, barely turned up for the post lockdown season, and don't have a manager. Why would you leave one of the two clubs paying wages consistently, where you're a regular pick, performing well, a terrace hero, and who have just been edged in the GF? And your former youth team manager, who rates you, has just taken over. Not over until the fat lady warbles I reckon... 

On 25th July (in a joint statement about Bouzanis and Genreau) the club announced that Genreau would be leaving "...after the conclusion of his contract" but didn't say where he was going.

I wonder whether we are in fact waiting for confirmation of Atkinson's departure?

All rather odd.

59 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

On 25th July (in a joint statement about Bouzanis and Genreau) the club announced that Genreau would be leaving "...after the conclusion of his contract" but didn't say where he was going.

I wonder whether we are in fact waiting for confirmation of Atkinson's departure?

All rather odd.

Atkinson still hasn’t even announced his signing on social still has City as his club in his bio