Melbourne Football

AFL 2016 Season

Jimmy

11 minutes ago, cadete said:

This Bye Week is bloody stupid...

They should have it a week before the Grand Final so we can have the best possible sides playing in the biggest match of the year and not before the finals so all the teams can regroup. It takes away a lot of the advantages the Higher Ranked Sides used to get with their Home Finals.

Also I knew the Gods would punish me when I dared to watch Collingwood and hope they would win yesterday afternoon... I deserved that result for such a foul act.

The bye was a typical KneeJerkFL reaction to last years situation, which in itself was a pretty rare occurrence. Should have never happened full stop.

IMO Hawthorn is a good result for you guys. You'd be foolish to write them off, but i dont reckon theyre anywhere near the money this year. GWS are a decent smoky to go all the way this year i reckon, the obvious knock being their finals experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

The bye was a typical KneeJerkFL reaction to last years situation, which in itself was a pretty rare occurrence. Should have never happened full stop.

IMO Hawthorn is a good result for you guys. You'd be foolish to write them off, but i dont reckon theyre anywhere near the money this year. GWS are a decent smoky to go all the way this year i reckon, the obvious knock being their finals experience.

All I know is we can beat anyone in the league or lose to anyone in the league... in other words I sweet fuck all about what we are going do in this finals series.

14 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Glad that seasons over. Good to finish with a win and had a tear in my eye for Pav's farewell. Confident that we'll be in the top 8 next season. 

I feel officially old now Pav's retired seeing as his debut season was my last year of school...

5 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Who have people got for the flag this year? I reckon it'll be between Geelong and Sydney, with Sydney to take it home

Hawks I guarentee it. They will find a way to win and I will stop speaking to my obnoxious mate who barracks for them. Plus I would consider dumping the missus too.

Deja Vu

Sydney

I am hoping Hawthorn are like Geelong like post 2011 where had some good years and high finishes but our habit to win games in tight finishes was ultimately exposed in the finals. (Could end up being very wrong).

Geelong could do anything from being knocked out in straight sets by 30 plus points in each to winning three finals in a row by 30 plus points... 

On their Home and Away Form GWS deserve more than one finals win but considering the age of their list if I was involved with the club I would be happy with them making a Prelim. If they did win the flag I wont be very happy to hear Cinderella Story Crap considering it will be an AFL won flag.

Edited by cadete

13 minutes ago, cadete said:

On their Home and Away Form GWS deserve more than one finals win but considering the age of their list if I was involved with the club I would be happy with them making a Prelim. If they did win the flag I wont be very happy to hear Cinderella Story Crap considering it will be an AFL won flag.

Financial and draft doping, its worse than anything Essendon did. Plus will make bugger all difference to crowds.

Edited by thisphantomfortress
fuck off cunts

15 minutes ago, cadete said:

And the commentary team focused solely on Majak Daw's four early first term touches for that half...

Will probably take a hanger and kick a goal and they'll rave about how well he's playing, not realising he's ran into Waite/Brown/Petrie's space and cut off their lead at least 5 times for the quarter.

Edited by bt50

37 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Will probably take a hanger and kick a goal and they'll rave about how well he's playing, not realising he's ran into Waite/Brown/Petrie's space and cut off their lead at least 5 times for the quarter.

I wonder if he will do a Milky Warren and stay on at Werribee next season, that's unless you guys keep him on after ditching Boomer which would be both fucken hilarious and the dumbest move in List Management since Gerard Nesham was around .

1 minute ago, cadete said:

I wonder if he will do a Milky Warren and stay on at Werribee next season, that's unless you guys keep him on after ditching Boomer which would be both fucken hilarious and the dumbest move in List Management since Gerard Nesham was around .

Tbh I think he'll probably get another contract with us on the back of this being his best season, not that thats saying much.

If not I'd be pretty confident someone will pick him up. He's actually a worthwhile pickup as a ruckman, I actually rate him in that position; he just has very stiff competition at North. Not a forwards arsehole though.

14 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

BigoT50 up to his old tricks

You social justice warriors are all the same; all appearance and no substance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Tbh I think he'll probably get another contract with us on the back of this being his best season, not that thats saying much.

If not I'd be pretty confident someone will pick him up. He's actually a worthwhile pickup as a ruckman, I actually rate him in that position; he just has very stiff competition at North. Not a forwards arsehole though.

Sometimes I dont get how some players get to be AFL and others VFL, maybe its because it is purely that there problems at AFL level are centred around Game Speed that the best State League Players dont make it...

Because I have seen Daw smashed in the ruck against Port at least three times in four years, and Waite in particular absolutely dominated at FF for Preston when he was at Carlton against Port. 

Another time our FF kicked six on Zac Dawson who came back from injury to Sandy and then he went straight into a GF bound St Kilda side the next week.

Edited by cadete

3 minutes ago, cadete said:

Sometimes I dont get how some players get to be AFL and others VFL, maybe its because it is purely that there problems at AFL level are centred around Game Speed that the best State League Players dont make it...

Because I have seen Daw smashed in the ruck against Port at least three times in four years, and Waite in particular absolutely dominated at FF for Preston when he was at Carlton against Port. 

Another time our FF kicked six on Zac Dawson who came back from injury to Sandy and then he went straight into a GF bound St Kilda side the next week.

Absolutely there's some baffling ones. In saying that, there's not a single assistant coach or coach in the AFL that I would hold my opinion in higher regard than. Footy clubs are all different beasts and unless you know whats happening behind the scenes its tough to have a fully informed opinion. IMO footy clubs in the AFL are that professional these days that blokes dont just fall into coaching jobs (except maybe Hirdy) without having significant knowledge and skills.

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Absolutely there's some baffling ones. In saying that, there's not a single assistant coach or coach in the AFL that I would hold my opinion in higher regard than. Footy clubs are all different beasts and unless you know whats happening behind the scenes its tough to have a fully informed opinion. IMO footy clubs in the AFL are that professional these days that blokes dont just fall into coaching jobs (except maybe Hirdy) without having significant knowledge and skills.

FWIW I would agrue the same about Bucks considering he inherited the youngest Premiership side of all time and Hird's coaching record sits 48% and Bucks is only slightly higher at 53%.

Edited by cadete

1 minute ago, cadete said:

FWIW I would agrue the same about Bucks considering he inherited the youngest Premiership side of all time and Hird's coaching record sits 48% and Bucks is only slightly higher at 53%.

Hmm to a degree, but at least Bucks had done somewhat of an apprenticeship. And even now I think you can still pick out some things that Bucks is pretty decent at. Obviously as a package he hasnt worked; but even if you have the best 18 coaches of all time coaching against each other, someone has to come last.

Hird was appointed without a skerrick of experience, and really was put in as a marketing ploy. Not too dissimilar to one John Aloisi tbh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cadete said:

Younger than the 93 Baby Bombers? Wow. Also look what happened to the baby bombers - not much after that, ditto Collingwood.

21 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Younger than the 93 Baby Bombers? Wow. Also look what happened to the baby bombers - not much after that, ditto Collingwood.

They were obv younger than the 1993 Baby Bombers... but that the Bombers were a young side that got a fair bit of luck in the Grand Final against a much fancied opponent like in the 2008 GF.

Collingwood were strong favourites almost all year to win the 2010 flag, 2011 flag all year until GF week and for the 2012 flag before the season had started.

Edited by cadete

6 hours ago, cadete said:

They were obv younger than the 1993 Baby Bombers... but that the Bombers were a young side that got a fair bit of luck in the Grand Final against a much fancied opponent like in the 2008 GF.

Collingwood were strong favourites almost all year to win the 2010 flag, 2011 flag all year until GF week and for the 2012 flag before the season had started.

A fair bit of luck for the whole season. Strange thing was that most clubs played below their best and Essendon just reaped the wins.

11 hours ago, NewConvert said:

A fair bit of luck for the whole season. Strange thing was that most clubs played below their best and Essendon just reaped the wins.

Yeah, there was much stiffer competition in 89, 91, 92, 94, 95, and 96... the two more even years of that period where 90, and 93 which of course for me as a kid just had to be the years Geelong decided to take off.

Not saying we would have won it but 93 was when Malcolm Blight completely changed Geelong's team plan to be ultra defensive and only went back to his traditional ultra attacking team plan with half the season to go. Off course in true 90's Geelong style we then ended up on a winning streak beating several finalists that saw us just finish outside the six. 

NOTE: FWIW 97 was the most even season I think I ever saw.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1 September 2016 at 9:32 PM, NewConvert said:

Still can't believe Essendon came from behind to beat Adelaide in that prelim. They looked gone for all money.

Later I found out Adelaide were silly enough to travel on game day. No wonder they ran out of legs.

Bloody GWS stuffing up the Finals Draw...

We will now will have to play the Swans who not be fazed by the MCG to make the GF and "IF" we get there Hawthorn have a very strong chance of being there too.

Then knowing my luck they will end up beating us to make Friday Night the best game I have ever been into one that nobody will really remember anymore.

7 hours ago, cadete said:

Bloody GWS stuffing up the Finals Draw...

We will now will have to play the Swans who not be fazed by the MCG to make the GF and "IF" we get there Hawthorn have a very strong chance of being there too.

Then knowing my luck they will end up beating us to make Friday Night the best game I have ever been into one that nobody will really remember anymore.

Surely Hawthorn can't beat both Dogs then GWS, surely! 

1 hour ago, cadete said:

Personally I think 50/50 at this stage... hopefully by late Saturday Night its all over for them.

I think all of Australia besides a small enclave of yuppies will be wishing for this.

Got tickets to the game and to this point I've seen hawthorn win every finals game of theirs I've been to so I'm looking to break that run.

• 2 weeks later...