Melbourne Football

AFL 2016 Season

Jimmy

2 hours ago, cadete said:

FWIW a number of fairly well known wogs played cricket for WA in the 90's.

And I agree with you that it makes much more sense for Soccer Fans to be more Anti-Cricket than Anti-AFL as they two sports Professional Seasons dont compete with each other... However a look at this forum and many other Soccer Forums in Australia sees a lot more Anti-AFL crap (ALF) than Anti-Cricket comments.

EDIT: And FWIW my first day of work really sucks after being in "Anglo Principality of Noosa" for a week.

I would also imagine soccer probably loses more of it's potential players to Aussie Rules rather than cricket.

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

Well that's not true, its all that they've talked about on SEN today.

In fairness SEN is a largely AFL network, there so many better sporting stories to talk about like the aus open then flogging this dead horse. I just don't know what hirds interview added to the drug saga outside of throwing dank and robinson under the bus.

Edited by kingofhearts

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

In fairness SEN is a largely AFL network, there so many better sporting stories to talk about like the aus open then flogging this dead horse. I just don't know what hirds interview added to the drug saga outside of throwing dank and robinson under the bus.

Yep and the more he tries the worse it makes him look.

Chin up King, odds are you'll still finish ahead of the Gold Coast 

Well, Hird was always whingeing that one day he would say his piece and the truth would come out. He was given a friendly forum - no antagonising from the interviewer, no 'gotcha' questions/moments - to say his piece and he convinced no one. Indeed, it only reinforced people's opinion. Last night on the news, he said that he did not want to make any further comments - make it so, forever.

15 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Our first top up player is a bona fide drug cheat, how ironic.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Actually kudos to the recruiters and the club to ignore all that and sign him anyway.

Even I know they desperately need a player like that. Astute signing.

Seeing as ten Non AFL Listed top up players are needed to be found from somewhere a bloke that still can obviously still perform well at AFL level is a pretty good start, of course I say this as a Geelong fan who has shouted more than a little venom at Crowley over the years.

I also always thought Mitch Brown (Who I know was not a Top Up Player but recruited in the draft) was a better footballer than he showed at his time at Geelong. I think the game just speed up heaps with all the over the top goals you see these days after he was recruited which meant he was not able to exhibit his good skills at marking/spoiling/and set shots like if he had been around and established three or so years earlier.

TBH I think he would still be at Geelong as the piece of meat you put on the opposition's power forward as others attempt intercept marks if it was not for Lonergan being around who performs this role so well.

Edited by cadete

• 2 weeks later...
On 29 January 2016 at 2:22 PM, hedaik said:

McCarthy given indefinite leave and allowed to return to Perth by GWS after they refused to trade him to us.

Idiots. 

idiots?

Now everyone who signs a contract with GWS knows they will make you honour it.

Dummy spitting won't get you traded.

Now I don't know why he's got leave (so will refrain from slagging him) but clearly the club's outside of traditional areas need to look at the big picture, not just the individual trade.

31 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

idiots?

Now I don't know why he's got leave (so will refrain from slagging him) but clearly the club's outside of traditional areas need to look at the big picture, not just the individual trade.

Also PPL can get over hard events in their life and their outlooks can change: 

Gary Buckenara... ended up still doing okay once he got over not being able to go back to "W FUCKEN A".

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

idiots?

Yes I think they are idiots for missing out on first 2 round draft picks when all signs were pointing to him being a problem for the club for the next 12 months.

Macarthy is also an idiot (although I would tend to think hes been misguided by a shit player manager) for extending his contract with them when he should have known full well that Fremantle would probably chase him. 

Geelong have the side capable of going all the way this year I think, although they'll need a super run with injuries if they are to do so.

Will probably have close to the best starting 18 in the league this season, although for me the knock is on their depth, particularly in the midfield area.

Keep Selwood and Dangerfield on the park at the same time and they'll go close, if one goes down (particularly Dangerfield), it could unravel very quickly.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2016 at 5:48 PM, Thrillhouse said:

ticketek cunts charging afl members $2.70 to print off tickets, upped prices to reserve a seat aswell, and still impossible to reserve a seat to any collingwood games at etihad through ticketmaster, fucking useless

Etihad was built to replace a place that was out of date a couple of years from its birth for as it was to Big and Barren... and it only took a couple of years for Etihad to also be out of date for being to Dark, Small and really Soulless.

I stand at the footy so I ESP hate it there and I am a pretty committed fan so I reckon there must be a lot of PPL who simply cant be fucked going to games if they have to go watch them in what feels like a timewarp back to 2001.

1 hour ago, cadete said:

Etihad was built to replace a place that was out of date a couple of years from its birth for as it was to Big and Barren... and it only took a couple of years for Etihad to also be out of date for being to Dark, Small and really Soulless.

I stand at the footy so I ESP hate it there and I am a pretty committed fan so I reckon there must be a lot of PPL who simply cant be fucked going to games if they have to go watch them in what feels like a timewarp back to 2001.

I pretty much exclusively go to games at the 'G. I avoid Etihad at all costs. Probably doesn't help my hatred for the place that I work nextdoor.

8 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I pretty much exclusively go to games at the 'G. I avoid Etihad at all costs. Probably doesn't help my hatred for the place that I work nextdoor.

You are a Dons fan right?

I assumed then that it must really piss you off how they play so many games there because of vote cast years ago.

I say this because every time Geelong plays Essendon only once a year it shits me off chronically because the standing room is packed (ESP near the City End) and you can barely see a thing. It makes no sense why a Team with so many supporters still host games there against other Victorian sides.

TTDIM: Geelong having its own Home Ground and Standing Room... well worth the hour drive IMO.

Edited by cadete

Just now, cadete said:

You are a Dons fan right?

I assumed then that it must really piss you off how they play so many games there because of vote cast years ago.

I say this because every time Geelong plays Essendon only once a year it shits me off chronically because the standing room is packed (ESP near the City End) and you barely see a thing. It makes no sense why a Team with so many supporters still host games there against other Victorian sides.

Yea really drives me nuts. Thankfully we aren't playing there until May 14 against North. Only game that really annoys me this year is Hawks and Geelong (but its your home game off the top of my head)

TBH I will probably get to most of our games there unless they clash with the Rebels games. I just don't like it

6 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

BT50 wrong wide of the mark as per usual. Don't let the bright lights of the city blind your country eyes. It's terrible.

Thought you'd be all about pro-choice seeing as how you're a staunch libertarian?

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Yea really drives me nuts. Thankfully we aren't playing there until May 14 against North. Only game that really annoys me this year is Hawks and Geelong (but its your home game off the top of my head)

TBH I will probably get to most of our games there unless they clash with the Rebels games. I just don't like it

Geelong vs Hawthorn games have gotten worse and worse... the crowd is far to combative and we are of course we are in the minority so it's really annoying when it's our home game and you have to on the lookout for nutcases the whole time. (The amount of PPL who stand in the Geelong Standing Area since they started always beating us has really dropped off recently as well).

What is really annoying is being a Home and Away Geelong Member which most Geelong fans I stand around are... because we rock up to more games than every other type of member but have been shunted a fair bit over the past few years.

Sell Outs at Etihad like the Cats vs Saints game in 2009 being the best example because we had paid for a membership that included this game like all others in Melbourne but if we did not get an expensive ticket that sold out straight away (which was impossible as it was the obvious only preview to the GF all year) we did not get entry.

Then they also brought in the stupid rule where to secure entry at games in Melbourne you needed to upgrade a ticket (luckily this ended when the sell outs dropped off) and then the dumbest thing they did was how we had to pay a small charge to secure a Standing Room Ticket at KP for a couple of years. The thing that was so dumb about this move was it lead to PPL buying the tickets and not rocking up and since then the Standing Room when went from being so packed you could smoke at HT to having only half the amount of fans.

Every time they do a new one of these things I tell them how the system of ticketing for away games and finals should be allocated like in the UK where the PPL who attend games the most should be those who are bloody awarded not some folks who fork out for some seats on the wing in Geelong they use five times a year.

13 minutes ago, bt50 said:

FWIW I quite like Etihad for footy. Shite for soccer obviously, but yeh its easy and convenient with a good atmosphere for 40,000+ crowds

No offence mate but watching Geelong play North at that place is a totally different deal to when we play sides like Essendon and Carlton... the ease of using services is completely different for one.

8 minutes ago, cadete said:

Geelong vs Hawthorn games have gotten worse and worse... the crowd is far to combative and we are of course we are in the minority so it's really annoying when it's our home game and you have to on the lookout for nutcases the whole time. (The amount of PPL who stand in the Geelong Standing Area since they started always beating us has really dropped off recently as well).

What is really annoying is being a Home and Away Geelong Member which most Geelong fans I stand around are... because we rock up to more games than every other type of member but have been shunted a fair bit over the past few years.

Sell Outs at Etihad like the Cats vs Saints game in 2009 being the best example because we had paid for a membership that included this game like all others in Melbourne but if we did not get an expensive ticket that sold out straight away (which was impossible as it was the obvious only preview to the GF all year) we did not get entry.

Then they also brought in the stupid rule where to secure entry at games in Melbourne you needed to upgrade a ticket (luckily this ended when the sell outs dropped off) and then the dumbest thing they did was how we had to pay a small charge to secure a Standing Room Ticket at KP for a couple of years. The thing that was so dumb about this move was it lead to PPL buying the tickets and not rocking up and since then the Standing Room when went from being so packed you could smoke at HT to having only half the amount of fans.

Every time they do a new one of these things I tell them how the system of ticketing for away games and finals should be allocated like in the UK where the PPL who attend games the most should be those who are bloody awarded not some folks who fork out for some seats on the wing in Geelong they use five times a year.

No offence mate but watching Geelong play North at that place is a totally different deal to when we play sides like Essendon and Carlton... the ease of using services is completely different for one.

Which is fine. I can only work with the games I go to, and imo Etihad is fine.

I really couldn't give a fuck re crowd sizes to be honest. Obviously atmosphere improves a bit when you move past the 40k mark as a bonus, but for me its  always about being able to get a good view of the game and the facilities, in which case Etihad passes in flying colours for mine.

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Which is fine. I can only work with the games I go to, and imo Etihad is fine.

I really couldn't give a fuck re crowd sizes to be honest. Obviously atmosphere improves a bit when you move past the 40k mark as a bonus, but for me its  always about being able to get a good view of the game and the facilities, in which case Etihad passes in flying colours for mine.

North Port Oval...

A Toliet is always free ten metres away, no line for VB/CD Cans is at decent prices and ten metres away, Borough Burgers and a massive packed Paper Bag of chips are cheap/eatable and twenty metres away, Killer Pythons are ten metres away and you smoke as many darts as you like... and when you call Ahmed Shaad a kent and to hurry up and take his set shot he actually hears you say it.

I know you will say Country Footy has all of this as well and more car honking (something all levels of footy needs) but the level of footy at VFL is not that much noticeably worse than AFL.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Just now, cadete said:

North Port Oval...

A Toliet is always free ten metres away, no line for VB/CD Cans is at decent prices and ten metres away, Borough Burgers and a massive packed Paper Bag of chips are cheap/eatable and twenty metres away, Killer Pythons are ten metres away and you smoke as many darts as you like... and when you call Ahmed Shaad a kent and to hurry up and take his set shot he actually hears you say it.

I know you will say Country Footy has all of this as well and more car honking (something all levels of footy needs) but the level at VFL is not that much noticeably worse than AFL.

No VFL side would get with 10 goals of an AFL side, and would rarely get within 100 points.

Off topic and not really the point you were making, but just saying.

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

No VFL side would get with 10 goals of an AFL side, and would rarely get within 100 points.

Off topic and not really the point you were making, but just saying.

No I def agree...

Not even a SANFL side could get within 100 points of an AFL side, in fact I am pretty sure not even a combined SANFL side would be able to do so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

When the Swiss courts inevitably strike down the ludicrous CAS ruling, what's the contract situation with the top up players?

Not too sure tbh, they way we're playing atm, do we really want those banned players to come back? Dyson who?

1 hour ago, hakz7 said:

In all seriousness, you'll beat us in the regular season too.

I'd like to believe that, but you guys were missing 6-7 players today. We'll be lucky to win a game all year tbh

• 4 weeks later...