Melbourne Football

AFL 2016 Season

Jimmy

41 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

more so the umps giving it to them on a platter (yes like gws list from the afl)
double standards at both ends of the ground, giants got fisted by the maggots

srs? One of the more unusual AFL opinions Ive heard this season

Happy for Footscray to win, but I think I was more glad that GWS arent going to be gifted a premiership this year. 

Edited by hedaik

5 minutes ago, hedaik said:

srs? One of the more unusual AFL opinions Ive heard this season

ended up with about 10+ free kicks
handing out holding the ball free kicks immediately against gws when there wasn't much prior opportunity but very lenient towards dogs (main one after the goal review went dogs way, coast to coast where dahlhaus tackled and dogs goal)
happened most of the season but umps don't give a fuck if a defender is standing over the mark
missed this one but at the end dogs player ran through the restricted zone in the centre which would of put the giants inside 50 

ps stringers a fraud

9 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

ended up with about 10+ free kicks
handing out holding the ball free kicks immediately against gws when there wasn't much prior opportunity but very lenient towards dogs (main one after the goal review went dogs way, coast to coast where dahlhaus tackled and dogs goal)
happened most of the season but umps don't give a fuck if a defender is standing over the mark
missed this one but at the end dogs player ran through the restricted zone in the centre which would of put the giants inside 50 

ps stringers a fraud

One thing that drives me nuts is people thinking free kick stats (this applies to all sports) need to be balanced or ref/umpire is bias. 

A higher level of free kicks means on the balance of play one team was better. Which last night the Bulldogs clearly were, their midfield was all over the Giants and their defensive pressure was emense.

The Giants back line just took about a billion marks inside their own 50'which kept them in the game and Patton and Greene were clinical. 

I see the free kicks being balanced in the Bulldogs favour as a testiment to their pressure rather than umpire bias.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

One thing that drives me nuts is people thinking free kick stats (this applies to all sports) need to be balanced or ref/umpire is bias. 

A higher level of free kicks means on the balance of play one team was better. Which last night the Bulldogs clearly were, their midfield was all over the Giants and their defensive pressure was emense.

The Giants back line just took about a billion marks inside their own 50'which kept them in the game and Patton and Greene were clinical. 

I see the free kicks being balanced in the Bulldogs favour as a testiment to their pressure rather than umpire bias.

Agree wholeheartedly, and would add you need to look at (a.) The nature of the free kicks and (b.) Who benefited more from a string of 50/50 decisions.

Unfortunately the free kick stats count the blatant frees with the 50/50s, which skews free kick counts - particularly when really good defensive pressure wins lots of frees in tandem with some rub of the green.

In terms of the second point, Hawthorn last week had a shit load of 50/50 decisions go their way consecutively in term 1 and early term 2.  Almost ruined the match, but it happens.  

Am very hard pressed to see where that happened for the dogs last night

12 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

didn't work for us in 2010 but dad tried ringing a bunch of interstate clubs as they get a bunch of tickets

Yeah, its a load of crap that Bulldogs fans will miss out because clubs like Adelaide and WCE get a couple a thousand tickets and then make them only available as part of an expensive travel package that includes a dozen other items you dont need as well as the actual ticket.

I knew some PPL that use to do one of these packages each year and they did not even have to be members of Adelaide, all the had to do was pay for the expensive package the club ran through a well known Travel Agent.

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

If you didn't tear up at least a little bit at that Bob Murphy moment you're absolutely kidding yourself

Best grand final for a looooong time. Magic ending and yes..... tissues were heavily depleted in this household.

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 1

public stoning of the umps in sydney pls
more free kicks in the 1st quarter (9) than the swans got in the whole game (8)
many decisions resulted in dogs goals, sickening those duds won it
hannebery could of had his leg snapped ffs and no free
bulldogs wank fest last couple weeks, was no way the afl wasn't going to make sure of it

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

public stoning of the umps in sydney pls
more free kicks in the 1st quarter (9) than the swans got in the whole game (8)
many decisions resulted in dogs goals, sickening those duds won it
hannebery could of had his leg snapped ffs and no free
bulldogs wank fest last couple weeks, was no way the afl wasn't going to make sure of it

LOL.  Free kick count should have been even more the 'Dogs way- Boyd gets his head ripped off- gets free against for incorrect disposal. Swans goal.  WTF? Buddy shoves two handed in the back, mark paid and goal.  The over-turned goal?  Thats 3 goals for the swans right there.

The Dogs are a very clean tackling side that's why not many frees paid against them/  And they're ferocious and fast on the ball and the oppostion know it- hence poor tackling.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 3

lmao the goal review was right
4 free kicks to half time and like 3 were from out on the full, +12 free kicks today, +10 last week and in the positives in their other 2 finals #freekickbulldogs

then there was the abortion of the norm smith voting, shit hair bloke wasn't even top 3 yet wins it, kennedy clearly best on

6 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

4 free kicks to half time and like 3 were from out on the full, +12 free kicks today, +10 last week and in the positives in their other 2 finals #freekickbulldogs

then there was the abortion of the norm smith voting, shit hair bloke wasn't even top 3 yet wins it, kennedy clearly best on

Can I conclude that you are a Swannies supporter?

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Tbf he's right about JJ. There were like five footscray player's alone who played a better game.

No doubt.

Most Bulldogs fans on their forum have Boyd ahead.

Scary thing is the Dogs's reserves are also premiers, making it 2 flags in the last three years.  Their first 22 are the best, and their next 22 are the best.  And they play the same way- first team player out, second team player slots in and knows what to do. That's a philosophy City would do well to emulate.

27 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

No doubt.

Most Bulldogs fans on their forum have Boyd ahead.

Scary thing is the Dogs's reserves are also premiers, making it 2 flags in the last three years.  Their first 22 are the best, and their next 22 are the best.  And they play the same way- first team player out, second team player slots in and knows what to do. That's a philosophy City would do well to emulate.

Problem is we don't have a seconds team. Oh, and of course the much bigger problem of JVS.

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Boyd was comfortably the best Dogs player yesterday. Johannisen had plenty of it but torched it by foot.
Kennedy was a standout for three quarters but probably went out of the game in the last quarter.

agree and think that credit where credits due; the Doggies did well to neutralise him and was the difference in the fourth quarter in terms of the Dogs winning by nearly 4 goals.  as good as Kennedy was, you do need to play four quarters.  

I've also never been a massive fan of a player on the losing team being MOM when the team gets done by a few goals, particularly when its a GF.  for me it'd have to be a huge four quarters from that player, and surely someone on the winning team can be seen to have made a massive contribution at key moments

didnt mind Johannisen winning Norm Smith, was a constant threat coming out of the backline / on transition.  Johannisen butchered a few things early but picked up as the Doggies forward entries improved over the course of the game.  thought Boyd and Picken did well, as did many others - stood up when it was required.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

Couldn't give a fuck about the Norm, we won the fucking flag!

• Like 1

As a Bulldogs supporter this last month has been incredible. I had Picken and Boyd ahead of JJ, with Morris, Hamling and Dahlhaus on par, but JJ's long runs were invaluable for relieving the pressure and forcing Sydney onto the back foot, even if his disposal was often a little wasteful. 

As for the umpiring, I thought it did favour us but not by as much as the Swans fans seem to think (although I don't blame them). It's not a conspiracy, we've been slaughtering the free kick count all season and there is no way the AFL has been planning a Bulldogs premiership from round 1. It turns out having a squad that can receive and handball in under a second, are constantly on the move at pace and come in a variety of hard to tackle sizes means they get a lot of free kicks, and conversely our pressure and ability to force the opposition to panic gets us frees when we don't have the ball as well. 

This has been an epic year. All season I've been saying if you are going to sneak a Premiership this is the year to do it, and after Wallis and Redpath went down I conceded we probably couldn't do it, but they proved me wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, hedaik said:

This has to be the best trade period that Fremantle has ever had. 

I just can't believe you're still running with the anti-Rebecca Wilson profile pic tbh. Somebody think of her family, you heartless cunt.

But yeh good few days for Freo. Ross the Boss Strikes Back.

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I just can't believe you're still running with the anti-Rebecca Wilson profile pic tbh. Somebody think of her family, you heartless cunt.

But yeh good few days for Freo. Ross the Boss Strikes Back.

Thanks for the reminder, will try and update it tonight.

Still to get Kersten as well, I'd imagine a 3rd round pick for him. With him, Apeness and Macarthy we're going to have a half decent forward line for once. 

Edited by hedaik