Melbourne Football

AFL 2016 Season

Jimmy

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 1:17 AM, Nate said:

how good were the Blues! Probably would've won if we had a key forward who actually knew how to kick.

Levi Casboult and Simon White should just be cut from the team. Taking up spots and onfield opportunities from other players who could have actually contributed to our team, and not the opposition.

If it's not levi blasting the ball out of bounds in the forward line, it's white blasting the ball out of bounds in the backline and in the very next play giving away a shit free kick not even 20m out!

Edited by Pete Heartspur
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2016 at 1:17 AM, Nate said:

how good were the Blues! Probably would've won if we had a key forward who actually knew how to kick.

I only watched some of this game and the quality of free flowing footy looked better than we have seen in past few years and I hoping this the rule changes around more space for players when they take a mark.

I also liked how a lot Carlton players I really barely knew took the game on and kept running and were able to get some goals over the top.. If they can keep their confidence up and doing as such they will more games that most PPL would have first thought prior to the Season.

Edited by cadete

On 26 March 2016 at 2:43 PM, kingofhearts said:

I wonder how much essendon will lose by today hmmm.

I'll say 10 goals

So good to start the new season with a win, especially after the disaster of last year (including the disgrace of easily losing the opener to Melbourne). Long way to go in the season though.

• Like 1

The Season Opener set the tone with there being so much more ball movement than last Season's games of whole periods of games being dominated by sides going down to the line to an opposition Intercept Mark or a Boundary Thrown In.

Good to see Geelong win and not by a couple of points, but obviously Hawthorn's outs were a major help... however us not playing Menzel or Vardy is a bit of an upside for us as well. After a number of years of poor/injured ruck stocks it was great to see both Smith and Stanley put in pretty good performances.

8 hours ago, cadete said:

The Season Opener set the tone with there being so much more ball movement than last Season's games of whole periods of games being dominated by sides going down to the line to an opposition Intercept Mark or a Boundary Thrown In.

Ye I noticed the ball movement flowed a lot better, I really like the new "keeping the ball alive" rule. Makes a massive difference when the balls in the front/back pocket, forces teams to actually play footy.

9 hours ago, cadete said:

Good to see Geelong win and not by a couple of points, but obviously Hawthorn's outs were a major help... however us not playing Menzel or Vardy is a bit of an upside for us as well. After a number of years of poor/injured ruck stocks it was great to see both Smith and Stanley put in pretty good performances.

You guys seemed so much quicker than us and the tackling pressure is ultimately what undone us. We were missing a few big names and had just as many scoring shots at goal but we only played 1 decent quarter of footy, thats never enough against you guys.

I can't see us getting a top 4 spot based on yesterday.  We might even get pumped by 10 goals next week.

11 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Ye I noticed the ball movement flowed a lot better, I really like the new "keeping the ball alive" rule. Makes a massive difference when the balls in the front/back pocket, forces teams to actually play footy.

You guys seemed so much quicker than us and the tackling pressure is ultimately what undone us. We were missing a few big names and had just as many scoring shots at goal but we only played 1 decent quarter of footy, thats never enough against you guys.

I can't see us getting a top 4 spot based on yesterday.  We might even get pumped by 10 goals next week.

I think the new space around people when they take a mark "may" mean other teams can now play more like Hawthorn of the last few years with the short accurate kicking to go from end to the other. When you guys were doing as such and getting into your forward line easily via the wing in the the Third Term we looked terrible ESP when the ball ended up with Gunston who takes shots in the pockets like they are straight in front.

Geelong's did well with its tall forwards staying at home... Hawkins had a poor game but he let others like Smith off the hook. I am hoping forwards staying nearing to goal is not a short term thing that gets worked out by the coaches after a couple of weeks because it was good to see the kind of football league wide we were used to see five years back.

Edited by cadete

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, cadete said:

Hold that thought, Vardy out for 6 with an ankle.

11 minutes ago, cadete said:

Well at least we have Smith, Stanley and Blitz then... 

TBH I dont know how those three and the two Tall Germano's of the club in Clarke and Vardy can all fit in.

They can't. The trap is avoiding the temptation of trying to fit them in at the expense of team balance. Nice problem to have.

7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Looking good vs Freo ("the painters"), dismantling them right now ( but half the game left). We look a different side to the hopeless mob from last year.

Strange being at the game, thought at first Freo was gonna run away with it but seems other way.

FWIW can't believe how fucking shit the atmosphere is.  Melburnians shit all over 'em. Would help if Freo was up but shit all the same.

2 hours ago, HeartFc said:

The umpires have been given instructions for 2016: The doggies need a flag.

obviously didn't catch the first half 

Shattering day. Can get over the loss (even though we blew it) but the Bob Murphy injury is gonna be bloody difficult to get over. That'll be his career

38 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Fark umpires are so hot with the deliberate rule now, hopefully the umps will calm down a bit with the rule

what happened to incorrect disposal? quite a few times pies players tackled a saints player, dropped it so clearly holding the ball and we get pinned for holding the man

Trying (unsuccessfully) to get my head around what is going on this season.  Last year we won four games, yes, that's just 4 games.  For the year. The equal least amount, along with those AFL powerhouses Carlton and Brisbane.

So we lost 2 of our stars in Dixon (which made all the experts claim strengthened his new club's flag hopes, great) and Bennell (a future Brownlow winner, apparently).  On top of that we seemed to give all out draft picks to Essendon and again the experts raved about what a good deal it was (umm for Essendon that is).  With that as the background, even with the bald guy back I didn't have a lot of hope and what do we have now - 3 games, 3 wins?  

I assume ASADA are running their tests right now............

34 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Trying (unsuccessfully) to get my head around what is going on this season.  Last year we won four games, yes, that's just 4 games.  For the year. The equal least amount, along with those AFL powerhouses Carlton and Brisbane.

So we lost 2 of our stars in Dixon (which made all the experts claim strengthened his new club's flag hopes, great) and Bennell (a future Brownlow winner, apparently).  On top of that we seemed to give all out draft picks to Essendon and again the experts raved about what a good deal it was (umm for Essendon that is).  With that as the background, even with the bald guy back I didn't have a lot of hope and what do we have now - 3 games, 3 wins?  

I assume ASADA are running their tests right now............

I can tell you. 

His initials are GA...

• 2 weeks later...
On 22 April 2016 at 10:58 PM, HeartFc said:

Pretty clear that we simply can't lose games. Cheers AFL.

Maybe true but Geelong starting winning games in the manner you do when we started to slide. (However u are obv my Flag tip still).

The Power starting that fight was funny as... Geelong's reaction reminded me of when other sides stupidly start fights with The Borough at North Port.

On 25 April 2016 at 2:33 PM, cadete said:

Maybe true but Geelong starting winning games in the manner you do when we started to slide. (However u are obv my Flag tip still).

The Power starting that fight was funny as... Geelong's reaction reminded me of when other sides stupidly start fights with The Borough at North Port.

You're forgetting we have the maggots on our side this season.