Melbourne Football

AFL 2016 Season

Jimmy

50 minutes ago, Dylan said:

If was a player that was banned I would be suing the fuck out of that club

Yeah.

I have some sympathy for the players (lessened by them not taking the sweet heart deal they were offered, just stupid, now they reap the harvest) but none for the club and none for those sycophantic supporters who kept going on about "we did nothing wrong".

I've never followed AFL and tbh couldn't care about it, but did Essendon actually win anything while on the drugs? Pretty poor effort not doping hard enough if they didn't considering what Lance Armstrong achieved 

Edited by haz
  • Like 2

it sucks that the players and the supporters are the ones who have to pay for the club's horrendous governance and management of both the supplements program and the ensuing legal affairs but for sport to have a future, you've got to protect its integrity so ultimately it's a decision that had to be made. 

still wouldn't put it past Carlton to end up with the wooden spoon though lolol

5 minutes ago, Nate said:

it sucks that the players and the supporters are the ones who have to pay for the club's horrendous governance and management of both the supplements program and the ensuing legal affairs but for sport to have a future, you've got to protect its integrity so ultimately it's a decision that had to be made. 

still wouldn't put it past Carlton to end up with the wooden spoon though lolol

Players arnt entirely off the hook, a couple did say no to it.

7 minutes ago, strider said:

The AFL did make a mess of it. Yes, let's wait 3 years to ban the Bombers. 

My take on it is that Essendon threatened to sue the shit out of the AFL if they came down too strongly, so the AFL punishment was a bit of an agreement between the two clubs more than anything. 

Maybe the AFL is to blame in some small way in not acting more strongly, but it was Essendon who went through the whole saga kicking and screaming and dragging everything out that got them this outcome. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hedaik said:

My take on it is that Essendon threatened to sue the shit out of the AFL if they came down too strongly, so the AFL punishment was a bit of an agreement between the two clubs more than anything. 

Maybe the AFL is to blame in some small way in not acting more strongly, but it was Essendon who went through the whole saga kicking and screaming and dragging everything out that got them this outcome. 

Its just one big boys club. You can tell by the ex player or ex club people reaction compared to people who haven't got that background. The AFL and Essendon thought they could get some deal through ASADA and WADA was having none of it.

Like with all sports, the players are ultimately responsible for what goes into their body - food, supplements, etc.  I remember talking with a former AFL Players Association senior rep recently (was there when all this shit came out) and they said one of the most frustrating parts was how naive the senior Essendon players were.  None of the Essendon players seemed to want to double check, even with all the players association does around doping.  For the record this senior rep was a fellow AFL player at the time.  

People can claim Essendon players are victims all of they like, you are just covering for players that were stupid, incompetent or naive in their thinking.  

I do feel for the fans a little tho.  You pay your money only for this shit to happen. At least the ASADA / WADA side is over now.

From a football / soccer / FFA perspective it does seem like a gift that keeps on giving

Edited by mattyh001

In my view I thought the fans should have pushed for a complete cultural and management change at the club and the resignation of little and his board.

To achieve this one option would have been a membership strike. Instead the fans got behind the perpetrators and helped them dig the hole they are now in. (By this I mean Little's confrontational approach, the retention and support of Hird and the refusal to consider guilty pleas).

The only fans I have sympathy for are the kids.

What a disaster.

I still can't believe how people can so harsh on the players, yes, they are naive in the sense they should've asked questions about what they were taking, but when you go to the doctor, and they prescribe you something, do you ask questions about it or just take it? These athletes put their faith into their trainers/medical staff and got fucked over completely. As someone who knows people who are professional athletes, getting needles is nothing new in professional sports these days, so as i said previously if anything the players were naive, no intention of cheating on their part, just a failing of governance in the club to stop stephen fuckhead dank from ruining everything. And fwiw the only person who rejected the program was David Zaharakis (to my knowledge anyway) not because he knew what he was being injected with, rather the fact that he does not like getting needles.

Now I just hope out of all of this that Stephen dank is never let around any type of sporting organisatioin ever again and james hird, please just shut up. FWIW too if the afl is consistent jobe should be stripped of his brownlow. If we get anything out of this season, i hope it's the number one draft pick, cause we ain't getting anything else.

Absolutely shattered

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

What a disaster.

I still can't believe how people can so harsh on the players, yes, they are naive in the sense they should've asked questions about what they were taking, but when you go to the doctor, and they prescribe you something, do you ask questions about it or just take it? These athletes put their faith into their trainers/medical staff and got fucked over completely. As someone who knows people who are professional athletes, getting needles is nothing new in professional sports these days, so as i said previously if anything the players were naive, no intention of cheating on their part, just a failing of governance in the club to stop stephen fuckhead dank from ruining everything. And fwiw the only person who rejected the program was David Zaharakis (to my knowledge anyway) not because he knew what he was being injected with, rather the fact that he does not like getting needles.

Now I just hope out of all of this that Stephen dank is never let around any type of sporting organisatioin ever again and james hird, please just shut up. FWIW too if the afl is consistent jobe should be stripped of his brownlow. If we get anything out of this season, i hope it's the number one draft pick, cause we ain't getting anything else.

Absolutely shattered

hang in and stick by the club in 2016, it'll be tough and it'll be mostly shit but you'll get to watch your remaining senior players giving it their all and you're probably going to unearth some future stars

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

In my view I thought the fans should have pushed for a complete cultural and management change at the club and the resignation of little and his board.

To achieve this one option would have been a membership strike. Instead the fans got behind the perpetrators and helped them dig the hole they are now in. (By this I mean Little's confrontational approach, the retention and support of Hird and the refusal to consider guilty pleas).

The only fans I have sympathy for are the kids.

FWIW there was always a small number of people like myself who disapproved of James Hird appointment as coach and we warned that it would end in tears. Secondly, a membership strike would have caused huge losses to the club putting in greater jeopardy. Thirdly a complete spill of the board would mean that there are suitable alternative candidates ready to step in, alas I fear that this is not the case. The board is faction ridden by tools that believe that they are the messiah. Instead the approach of annually replacing members of the board will become the norm but there remains the problem of suitable candidates as worthy ones are reluctant to touch the club with a ten foot pole. Fourthly Little is not that confrontational, his general approach to business is trying to get a win-win situation, so I fear in an attempt to placate/worship Hird he went confrontational to get ASADA/AFL to offer better terms. He failed. Paul Little is gone.

Finally, I lay the whole problem at James Hird's feet. He has damaged the club like no other individual has ever damaged the club. He was and remains responsible for this whole fiasco. If some of the banned players sue the club/AFL I also hope that they personally sue James Hird.

7 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

What a disaster.

Absolutely shattered

I did have sympathy for the players until more information was made public. The fact that they could record everything that they ingested but the injections means that they obediently did as they were told. Only one player recorded that he received an injection for vitamin B supplement. This was contrary to what the AFL education program on anti-doping. Also, McDevitt had it right - they were not at the time kids (Fletcher a kid???) they were all over 18 years of age and recognised as legal adults upon whom the full weight of the law applies. Which brings me to another thing that annoys me - the infantilisation of teenagers and young men but I digress.

I hope that I am never driving my car and see Stephen Dank crossing the street. I hope that the reason why the AFL did not immediately strip Jobe Watson of his Bronlow was not to further humiliate him or the club. I also hope that JW returns the Brownlow and that it remains unawarded  for that year.

Finally, I hope that once the federal election is over that parliament convenes a committee to review the ASADA legislation. For starters, I did not like the leaking to the press as it provided a legal cover for not going to trial because of the publicity. Secondly, I remain unconvinced that players will have such an extensive knowledge of what chemical compounds they are being given and so they bear an unusual burden. Third, does ASADA have sufficient legal powers? ASADA could not interview Dank and I am not sure whether they were able to acquire records from the compounding pharmacist. They should have the power to acquire records from all involved.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I did have sympathy for the players until more information was made public. The fact that they could record everything that they ingested but the injections means that they obediently did as they were told. Only one player recorded that he received an injection for vitamin B supplement. This was contrary to what the AFL education program on anti-doping. Also, McDevitt had it right - they were not at the time kids (Fletcher a kid???) they were all over 18 years of age and recognised as legal adults upon whom the full weight of the law applies. Which brings me to another thing that annoys me - the infantilisation of teenagers and young men but I digress.

Yep the players deliberately mislead ASADA by not lying about their injections, they've lost their sympathy from me and most of the public Id assume after that info came out. 

4 hours ago, Luke said:

Waiting for Rebecca wilson's approval 

What are you talking about?

4 hours ago, cadete said:

LOL - We get it...

You are a Sick Football-Purist Ethnic who probably typed the above post in a Singlet.

Nice to have you back Cad,  I was a little disappointed my post hadn't receive any attention.

Problem is I'm not an idiot, so if I was a Sick Football-Purist Ethnic I'd be against cricket and not AFL. Considering cricket is the most fucking bogan, or at least non-wog, sport and directly in competition with soccer (and with alarming recent success tbh), as opposed to AFL which is followed and played by many wogs while not being a major concern for thje growth of soccer in this country.

I bet even Kasprowicz was like some 3rd generation boganised wog.

12 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Nice to have you back Cad,  I was a little disappointed my post hadn't receive any attention.

Problem is I'm not an idiot, so if I was a Sick Football-Purist Ethnic I'd be against cricket and not AFL. Considering cricket is the most fucking bogan, or at least non-wog, sport and directly in competition with soccer (and with alarming recent success tbh), as opposed to AFL which is followed and played by many wogs while not being a major concern for thje growth of soccer in this country.

I bet even Kasprowicz was like some 3rd generation boganised wog.

FWIW a number of fairly well known wogs played cricket for WA in the 90's.

And I agree with you that it makes much more sense for Soccer Fans to be more Anti-Cricket than Anti-AFL as they two sports Professional Seasons dont compete with each other... However a look at this forum and many other Soccer Forums in Australia sees a lot more Anti-AFL crap (ALF) than Anti-Cricket comments.

EDIT: And FWIW my first day of work really sucks after being in "Anglo Principality of Noosa" for a week.

Edited by cadete