Melbourne Football

Osama Malik

Cityscape

I wouldn't worry too much. Williams either goes now, or if he doesn't he certainly goes at the end of this season.

P.S. Are we the only set of supporters who (every season) start talking about "next season" half-way through the current season?

Anyway, I've had a little too much pinot noir celebration tonight (it's my birthday tomorrow) so fuck off Williams (now or in May) and good riddance.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I wouldn't worry too much. Williams either goes now, or if he doesn't he certainly goes at the end of this season.

P.S. Are we the only set of supporters who (every season) start talking about "next season" half-way through the current season?

Anyway, I've had a little too much pinot noir celebration tonight (it's my birthday tomorrow) so fuck off Williams (now or in May) and good riddance.

One of your better posts :tooth:

22 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Stuff that just tell him he's playing in the NPL if he doesn't go, we do alright without him anyway. I'm pretty sure the way tuna and Harry are playing, zinni or dekker might be enough cover for super David.

You cant just cancel his contract mate. 

• Murfy1 locked this topic
  • malloy unlocked this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm sure he'll be quality once fit but it'll probably take the rest of the season to get 100% match fit since his had next to no game time. We've made quite a few signings this season of players just coming off injury so let's hope they've learned a lot and Osama only needs little game time get going. 

FWIW he is fit. The article says he is travelling to Brisbane for the game. So he wouldnt travel if he wassnt ready to go. I am stoked about this deal. If we want to continue to play with a 3 5 2 Malik is the perfect player to have

Edited by Dylan

Hmmm. Liked how he performed under Gombau, not so much under Amor (but then none of the players are performing as well under Amor as they were under Gombau). So an JVS make Malik perform to the level he was last season? That will determine Malik's success. I hate even asking that question whether JVS can make a player perform...

So he has signed until the end of 2017/2018 season. A lot of people were speculating he would be the injury replacement for Chapman, but I didn't see the sense in this because Chapman may be back before the end of the season.

It's good to see this is a long term signing and hopefully he can add a bit more solidity at the back.

1 minute ago, silva10 said:

So he has signed until the end of 2017/2018 season. A lot of people were speculating he would be the injury replacement for Chapman, but I didn't see the sense in this because Chapman may be back before the end of the season.

It's good to see this is a long term signing and hopefully he can add a bit more solidity at the back.

If fit and in form he was dominant last season. If he reaches that with us he will make a massive difference. A lot of ifs, but welcome aboard to the fella and hope he can prove to be a good move. 

• Like 3

Agree there's multiple Ifs with Malik, with the main if being his fitness. If fit he's a top signing for us.

On the injury replacement deal, it was speculated that perhaps Malik would be an injury replacement player for 2 months--while Chapman is recovering from injury--hence the club could pay Malik for 2 months outside of the salary cap, and then move him inside the salary cap and have him be a normal salary cap player thereafter. However the details of Malik's signing weren't made 100% clear, just as the details of Caceres' signing weren't made 100% clear. Neither Malik or Caceres or Fitzgerald were announced as injury replacement players. And while David Williams was reportedly getting paid stupidly big money this season, I doubt we've managed to sign all 3 of those players with the salary cap money freed up by Williams' departure. I'm not even sure we have enough squad spots--I'd say we must have 24 or 25 players with Malik and Fitzgerald officially signed--hence logically some of these players must be injury replacement signings.

Anyway putting the details to one side, Osama Malik is a top quality A-League defender. And he's a very capable ball playing defender, who can pass out from the back. So Malik looks set to provide a really big amount of value to Melbourne City's team.

Edited by Murfy1

12 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Agree there's multiple Ifs with Malik, with the main if being his fitness. If fit he's a top signing for us.

On the injury replacement deal, it was speculated that perhaps Malik would be an injury replacement player for 2 months--while Chapman is recovering from injury--hence the club could pay Malik for 2 months outside of the salary cap, and then move him inside the salary cap and have him be a normal salary cap player thereafter. However the details of Malik's signing weren't made 100% clear, just as the details of Caceres' signing weren't made 100% clear. Neither Malik or Caceres or Fitzgerald were announced as injury replacement players. And while David Williams was reportedly getting paid stupidly big money this season, I doubt we've managed to sign all 3 of those players with the salary cap money freed up by Williams' departure. I'm not even sure we have enough squad spots--I'd say we must have 24 or 25 players with Malik and Fitzgerald officially signed--hence logically some of these players must be injury replacement signings.

Anyway putting the details to one side, Osama Malik is a top quality A-League defender. And he's a very capable ball playing defender, who can pass out from the back. So Malik looks set to provide a really big amount of value to Melbourne City's team.

Was Mauk paid outside of the cap Murfy? Also maybe we have saved money with Tando going. The there is Gameiro's salary.

With these players only playing for half the season, maybe they have managed to squeeze them inside the cap.