Melbourne Football

Osama Malik

Cityscape

33 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Malik as very good under Gombau, hopefully wazza has the same influence. 

Tbf Malik's best games for us have been very good. Ill certainly never forget how good he played at Adelaide away when we won 1-0. Unfortunately Ossies good games seem to be roughly 1 in 10 and are far outweighed by his bad ones.

I get what people see in him, but surely You favour consistency over the odd brilliant game in a squad this talented.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, neio said:

I think Osama can be a solid player, but we have to keep him in the one spot. We flick him between CB and CDM to often and he loses confidence and concentration

He shouldnt be pushed back to CB at all unless we are out of all other options (Bort, Jako, Tongyik and La Rocca) imo, or is replacing someone off the bench after an injury.

His best games have all been as a DM, he's pretty much useless at CB.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

Just now, bt50 said:

He shouldnt be pushed back to CB at all unless we are out of all other options (Bort, Jako, Tongyik and La Rocca) imo, or is replacing someone off the bench after an injury.

I agree, he is a better CDM. Was just saying that he gets flicked between the 2 too often in the past

2 minutes ago, neio said:

I agree, he is a better CDM. Was just saying that he gets flicked between the 2 too often in the past

Yeh its good he's a bit flexible, but for mine that's more of a handy thing for players on the bench. You certainly wouldnt want him starting at CB unless absolutely necessary. As you said, hopefully the coaches see it that way, and if he is to get game time this season its as a mid.

55 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I can't believe we have to be discussing how we are going to get Malik in the XI. He will have to push out one of Kilkenny, Budzinski, Carusca, Mark or Brattan and he is clearly not as good as any of them

I dont want him in the XI at all. I'd take one of La Rocca or Malik on the bench to be the CB/DM sub if needed and the other not in the squad at all.
I doubt anyone here thinks he's best XI, we are more just musing about if he has to be used, how we would use him.

Just now, bt50 said:

I dont want him in the XI at all. I'd take one of La Rocca or Malik on the bench to be the CB/DM sub if needed and the other not in the squad at all.
I doubt anyone here thinks he's best XI, we are more just musing about if he has to be used, how we would use him.

What I meant is that given he is a Joyce favourite and now in this leadership ground, its forcing us to have to look how to include him because its pretty clear he is going to be in the XI. 

Basically, its all Joyce's fault ;)

3 minutes ago, Dylan said:

What I meant is that given he is a Joyce favourite and now in this leadership ground, its forcing us to have to look how to include him because its pretty clear he is going to be in the XI. 

Basically, its all Joyce's fault ;)

Eh, i dont think its 100% clear. We havent played a game with a full list to choose from yet and tbh its pretty hard to pick him in the starting XI when we have a full list to choose from, even if you do think he's alright. Our midfield depth is ridiculous really. Leadership group might mean he'll get first crack at a matchday squad spot, but i dont think it guarantees him a spot at all.
If he continues to get selected despite poor form over the opening 6 weeks of the season, then I'll be right on board with you. Until then, im not going to count the devil chickens until they hatch.

:hoff:

28 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Eh, i dont think its 100% clear. We havent played a game with a full list to choose from yet and tbh its pretty hard to pick him in the starting XI when we have a full list to choose from, even if you do think he's alright. Our midfield depth is ridiculous really. Leadership group might mean he'll get first crack at a matchday squad spot, but i dont think it guarantees him a spot at all.
If he continues to get selected despite poor form over the opening 6 weeks of the season, then I'll be right on board with you. Until then, im not going to count the devil chickens until they hatch.

I hope that you are right.
Wazza's comments on Malik don't make any sense to me: "Osama is a fantastic character and player we see great potential in developing..."
The guy is 27 years old. How's he going to develop further?

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I hope that you are right.
Wazza's comments on Malik don't make any sense to me: "Osama is a fantastic character and player we see great potential in developing..."
The guy is 27 years old. How's he going to develop further?

PED's I assume

1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

No doubt he is going to be given a chance and Wazza likes him over Brattan.  Hopefully the coach has made the right call and he rediscovers the form that saw him so highly rated a few seasons back.  Otherwise he will cost us points

It was at Adelaide, about 12 months prior to joining us, but he was being talked about as a serious Socceroos prospect at one stage iirc.

If Malik pushes Kilkenny to bench then that's a massive error. 

If he is replacing Brattan then maybe. 

But surely Budzinski is a locked in starter for first 2 or 3 along with Kilkenny. That leaves 1 spot for Brattan Mauk and Malik to fight for and Carusca to come on for the last 20 or 30.

Maybe Malik is the answer but after last season's form I'm not sure. 

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

But surely Budzinski is a locked in starter for first 2 or 3 along with Kilkenny. That leaves 1 spot for Brattan Mauk and Malik to fight for and Carusca to come on for the last 20 or 30.

Good post. You'd think Killa and Bud will be locks, and Carrusca to be a 60-80 min sub into the CAM position. Whether that sub is for Bud direct, or for one of the winger and Bud shifted wide remains to be seen. The third spot is up for grabs no doubt, but its very hard to imagine Malik pushing out both Mauk and Brattan for it in my mind.

Not relevant for this week, but I'm utterly intrigued to see how Cahill will be used this year. I think he almost certainly has to play as a striker off the bench given our glut of midfield options. Do people think that Ross or Bruno for that matter could be utilised wide? Or do we change our forward/midfield set-up after 60 min to a 4-4-2 etc?

50 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Malik is garbage,  nfi how he's in the leadership group.  He shouldn't be anywhere near the starting line-up,  leave him on the bench and he can bring out the oranges at half time ,  hes useless. 

But hes a nice guy

Its like the Chinese guy who was in their national team for the Asia Cup, the team admitted he was only selected for being a nice guy

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Based on the cup game he's behind Genreau in my book, but I'm not the gaffer 

• Like 1

I don't think Malik will take Kilkennys spot. If anything it's Brattan that'll lose his spot depending on what type of player Wazza wants on the pitch. If you look at the stats Malik had a total of 9 shots on goal last season, 6 of those with his head. It's a pretty obvious statement but clearly he isn't being chosen for his attacking ability but his defensive ability. So if Wazza is thinking more defensively then the only two areas I can see that Malik has Brattan is in his ability to screen the backline and that he is more willing to get back and defend rather than push forward into attack. Perhaps Wazza is thinking something along the lines of this where he will have 5 defensively minded players behind the ball.

Bouzanis/Galekovic

Muscat      Bort      Jakobsen      Jamieson

Malik      Kilkenny

Budzinski

Fitzy/Brand.                 Ross              Kamau/Arzani

The reality though is Malik has been pretty average for us on the whole, bordering on being a liability at times. Should Malik play on Friday all I hope for is that Wazza sees something in him that I can't see. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Not really at all. He's been dog shit all preseason. Deserved criticism regarding the past, deserved praise for last night. 

When it comes to the sort of criticism say you or I might deliver than I agree- that is stuff along the lines of "he played poorly tonight etc" but in regards to random definitive absolute comments (and you don't have to look very far back in this thread to find them) then those people will indeed look pretty silly.

2 minutes ago, neio said:

Malik was very good last night, but be needs to do it next week and the week after and the week after

We will find out alot about him next week. Troisi, Milligan and Valeri is a much bigger test than dagastino, calletti and McKay 

I doubt milligan plays next week tbh, or if he does itll be a limited role. Troisi will depend on whether he starts on Tuesday as to whether he plays much Saturday.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I was thinking surely after what happened last night when he was out, his knockers would realise the role that Malik (and his ilk) play in a football side.

Then I looked on Facebook......

Our fans are genuine idiots. Malik has been easily one of our best this season, particularly over the last month. We really missed him last night, and Brattan's game suffered in his absence as well. Hope he's back for next week

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I was thinking surely after what happened last night when he was out, his knockers would realise the role that Malik (and his ilk) play in a football side.

Then I looked on Facebook......

90% of people on facebook are idiots, they have no idea

There was one bloke who wanted Malik dropped next week because he gave ninkovic and mierzejewski too much space on too many occasions

When we lose, it's Malik's and bouzanis fault no matter what happens 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Can you guys please make your mind up. Is Malik the worst player  or sorely missed MVP and reason why we crumbled last night.

The issue isn't just about Malik. No doubt he does some good things, no doubt he's also frustrating to watch, but when he dropped off the team lineup it moved other team members around. We always play worse when Jakobsen is in midfield, for instance, Muscat came into the lineup. Brattan's role changes without Malik as DM