Melbourne Football

Osama Malik

Cityscape

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, moops said:

Should only be considered only for the Jedinak type role, limited technically and creatively, but can be the hardman screener who lays off simple passes to the more creative midfielders, not much else imho.

Agree with this, Malik plays much better as a CDM, and I think Kilkenny has more influence as a CM.

---------Malik------

Caceras--Kilkenny

With Brattan warming the Pine

Edited by haz

16 minutes ago, haz said:

Agree with this, Malik plays much better as a CDM, and I think Kilkenny has more influence as a CM.

---------Malik------

Caceras--Kilkenny

With Brattan warming the Pine

But Kilkenny is the perfect CDM. So Malik is either backup CB or warming the pine.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jovan said:

But Kilkenny is the perfect CDM. So Malik is either backup CB or warming the pine.

Box to Box for me, he has so much energy and tonight he scored.

Our Milligan if you will, Killa and Genreau would be more dynamic, but maybe not as defensive, though Gener's impressed me, but it's the only game I have seen him play. So Malik and Killa in a defensive triangle with Caceras up front, Kilkenny box to box type for me or regista.

Or like Haz said, Malik as a single screener, with Caceras and Kilkenny in the middle, especially if we want to play a pressing game.

Edited by moops
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Can i say, we should've just kept Mauk and let him go for at the end of the season, compared to trading for this guy.

I don't know what he provides to the team outside of being a massive disappointment.

Totally agree. Malik was already second choice at Adelaide, so why bring him to us? All we did by swapping Mauk was wreck Wade Dekker's leg.

I recall just one match when I was impressed with Malik - the FFA Cup Final. Unfortunately he's contracted to us for another season.

I'm not over-impressed by Michael Petrillo's Australian recruiting - far too much focus on Adelaide for my liking. His appointment just adds to the questions I have about the wisdom of a number of CFG decisions.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Totally agree. Malik was already second choice at Adelaide, so why bring him to us? All we did by swapping Mauk was wreck Wade Dekker's leg.

I recall just one match when I was impressed with Malik - the FFA Cup Final. Unfortunately he's contracted to us for another season.

I'm not over-impressed by Michael Petrillo's Australian recruiting - far too much focus on Adelaide for my liking. His appointment just adds to the questions I have about the wisdom of a number of CFG decisions.

And his performance in the 1-0 win at Adelaide away last year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm of the view that as much of our problem is down to bad recruitment as poor management.  Our squad is unbalanced, carries too many underperformers, and fails to work together on the pitch.  So however good the individuals, the collective is a dog's breakfast.  Top that off with woeful selections and wayward tactics and you get a season like this one.  So Petrillo for me has to carry a lot of that.  One Tongyik does not make up for all the calamities, both incoming and outgoing.

Edited by fensaddler
Correction
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, japiedog said:

glad you have confidence in me @Shahanga

I'd get a yellow in the first 5 minutes for kicking Bobo, then another one 10 minutes later for kicking him again

Well before you got out there how about this. Might as well save wasting your time and just break his leg in those first 5 minutes and save waiting another 10 minutes for the inevitable red card. It probably what Muscat will do anyway if he plays.

in all seriousness though, we would have few options if Malik is indeed suspended, which is part of the reason why our defence is so poor.

I'm starting to think Muscat might be a better option than Malik anyway, especially next to Tongyik. Tongyik and Malik are so similar and share a lot of weaknesses (concentration, positioning), Ruon has an excuse as he's on the younger side of the scale but Malik is what he is at this point.

If Jakobsen isn't available, which he likely won't be, I'd have Muscat in there until he's back.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Embee said:

I'm starting to think Muscat might be a better option than Malik anyway, especially next to Tongyik. Tongyik and Malik are so similar and share a lot of weaknesses (concentration, positioning), Ruon has an excuse as he's on the younger side of the scale but Malik is what he is at this point.

If Jakobsen isn't available, which he likely won't be, I'd have Muscat in there until he's back.

With all due respect that's a scary thought. 

Muscat has failed terribly every time he has played and to put him at CB alongside Ruon is a recipe for disaster. 

We have 3 games to sort out a competitive structure to avoid humiliation in the first final.

I am also of the same opinion that Jakobsen is done and if not then he can't be relied upon. Therefore what options do we have. 

Muscat. Malik (after he returns) and Rose all to play alongside Ruon. Neither are their preferred positions and none fill me any confidence that they will succeed against quality attacks.

Rose has been very good at LB so for me he is lock. So to Franjic  (although his form has fluctuated but much like the team) So what that then leaves us?

Kilkenny. For me he is the only logical solution. Yes we lose a great deal from his midfield workrate and his ability which has been hugely under rated but when balancing up the options it's our only real alternative. 

I would then bring in either Retre or Arzani to play alongside Brattan(who in any circumstances needed a rest) and maybe without Kilkenny next to him Brattan might regain his earlier season form. Which also incidentally occurred when Kilkenny was playing in that floating CB role using that 3 at the back structure. 

Having not played for 6 weeks (I think ) we probably have to put a line through Jakobsen. Each week say "if" he plays is keeping your head in the sand and not dealing with the problem. 

So my line up for next 3 or 4 weeks would be

Sorensen 

Franjic     Ruon    Kilkenny   Rose 

Brattan        Retre/Arzani 

Fitzy                Caceras           Colazo 

Fornaroli 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Embee said:

He's still a makeshift CB though, just like Malik. I understand K League has only started, but Chapman not getting a game in 2nd division atm, we could have really used him.

But you could be right, Malik doesn't look happy and has made some horrible mistakes, both options are pretty even in my eyes.

43 minutes ago, Jovan said:

With all due respect that's a scary thought. 

Muscat has failed terribly every time he has played and to put him at CB alongside Ruon is a recipe for disaster. 

We have 3 games to sort out a competitive structure to avoid humiliation in the first final.

I am also of the same opinion that Jakobsen is done and if not then he can't be relied upon. Therefore what options do we have. 

Muscat. Malik (after he returns) and Rose all to play alongside Ruon. Neither are their preferred positions and none fill me any confidence that they will succeed against quality attacks.

Rose has been very good at LB so for me he is lock. So to Franjic  (although his form has fluctuated but much like the team) So what that then leaves us?

Kilkenny. For me he is the only logical solution. Yes we lose a great deal from his midfield workrate and his ability which has been hugely under rated but when balancing up the options it's our only real alternative. 

I would then bring in either Retre or Arzani to play alongside Brattan(who in any circumstances needed a rest) and maybe without Kilkenny next to him Brattan might regain his earlier season form. Which also incidentally occurred when Kilkenny was playing in that floating CB role using that 3 at the back structure. 

Having not played for 6 weeks (I think ) we probably have to put a line through Jakobsen. Each week say "if" he plays is keeping your head in the sand and not dealing with the problem. 

So my line up for next 3 or 4 weeks would be

Sorensen 

Franjic     Ruon    Kilkenny   Rose 

Brattan        Retre/Arzani 

Fitzy                Caceras           Colazo 

Fornaroli 

Id prefer Kilkenny as well tbh.

Re Jakobsen, he must be having recurring minor setbacks. It makes absolutely no sense to keep stringing everyone along otherwise. I certainly wouldnt put a line through him, but i wouldnt be counting on him until he's in either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moops said:

He's still a makeshift CB though, just like Malik. I understand K League has only started, but Chapman not getting a game in 2nd division atm, we could have really used him.

But you could be right, Malik doesn't look happy and has made some horrible mistakes, both options are pretty even in my eyes.

*Chapman has started one and come off the bench for another out of the 3 games in Kleague classic (top league). He started in cdm in one match and came on as a cb in another. 

I am pretty sure Valkanis and Petrillo will lose their jobs at season end for poor recruitment and letting Chapman go midway through the season without a replacement. Word is Chapman asked to leave because of lack of opportunity and concerns about the clubs direction and was advised he had to stay until a replacement was found. We had Papadopolous (brisbane new cb) allegedly pretty much signed and once he signed Chapman was free to leave. The Papadopolous deal fell through at the last minute so City said to Chapman he couldn't leave without a transfer fee and his new club then chipped in for the transfer. Somehow Brisbane tied up the Papadopolous deal that City couldn't so it doesn't look good for Petrillo and Valkanis. Think about the points gained if we had a half competent CB either still with us or Papadopolous joined. 

There is no doubt Chapman would've been playing and improving our defence and we would be sitting higher on the table if he stayed. Malik and Tongyik's defending abilities are laughable. To be fair the midfielders are piss weak infront and Kilkenny and Brattan offer absolutely no defensive support. 

Edited by melby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, melby said:

*Chapman has started one and come off the bench for another out of the 3 games in Kleague classic (top league). He started in cdm in one match and came on as a cb in another. 

I am pretty sure Valkanis and Petrillo will lose their jobs at season end for poor recruitment and letting Chapman go midway through the season without a replacement. Word is Chapman asked to leave because of lack of opportunity and concerns about the clubs direction and was advised he had to stay until a replacement was found. We had Papadopolous (brisbane new cb) allegedly pretty much signed and once he signed Chapman was free to leave. The Papadopolous deal fell through at the last minute so City said to Chapman he couldn't leave without a transfer fee and his new club then chipped in for the transfer. Somehow Brisbane tied up the Papadopolous deal that City couldn't so it doesn't look good for Petrillo and Valkanis. Think about the points gained if we had a half competent CB either still with us or Papadopolous joined. 

There is no doubt Chapman would've been playing and improving our defence and we would be sitting higher on the table if he stayed. Malik and Tongyik's defending abilities are laughable. To be fair the midfielders are piss weak infront and Kilkenny and Brattan offer absolutely no defensive support. 

Thanks for that mate, it's hard to find information on Chapman, good to hear he will play, he deserves it.

Thanks for the added info on Papadopolous, sounds like a mess. Fair enough about game time, I wonder what his concerns were about the direction of the club? Nothing positive, that's for sure.

Thanks for your insights, interesting.

12 hours ago, Embee said:

I was strong on this a few weeks back (as I agree with your assessment of Malik & Tongyik). Valkanis obviously felt the same, as he started Manny at centre back twice in that period. First game he got an own goal, 2nd he got a red and conceded a penalty.

After that I STFU about him playing centre back. Reckon Valkanis might be thinking the same.

10 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I was strong on this a few weeks back (as I agree with your assessment of Malik & Tongyik). Valkanis obviously felt the same, as he started Manny at centre back twice in that period. First game he got an own goal, 2nd he got a red and conceded a penalty.

After that I STFU about him playing centre back. Reckon Valkanis might be thinking the same.

Muscat's only real position is playing right back. That is the position where he is least likely to completely balls it up. Problem for him is Franjic is much better and even the kid showed more in his one game. 

So unless Valkanis wants to revisit Muscat at CB I don't believe he will start a game for us ever.

30 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Muscat's only real position is playing right back. That is the position where he is least likely to completely balls it up. Problem for him is Franjic is much better and even the kid showed more in his one game. 

So unless Valkanis wants to revisit Muscat at CB I don't believe he will start a game for us ever.

Muscat can also play a DM role if need be as he has done in the past for Wellington. 

Maybe if we're considering Kilkenny in a CB role this week, maybe put Manny in a DM role where at the bvery least if he's caught out, he has his CB's as cover.

We already have Brattan and Caseras as the creative midfield paring so i wouldnt hurt.

1 minute ago, [LIBBA] said:

Muscat can also play a DM role if need be as he has done in the past for Wellington. 

Maybe if we're considering Kilkenny in a CB role this week, maybe put Manny in a DM role where at the bvery least if he's caught out, he has his CB's as cover.

We already have Brattan and Caseras as the creative midfield paring so i wouldnt hurt.

Didn't know that. What about Retre?