Melbourne Football

Osama Malik

Cityscape

Feel good to be vindicated (albeit its only one game). Always thought Malik would be a great signing for us now and into the future. Loved in the build up how everyone was saying Adelaide got the better of the deal (except for Kossie in the pregame) and then he pulls this out of the bag. I just hope this issnt one game because he knows Adelaide so well. 

11 hours ago, Dylan said:

Feel good to be vindicated (albeit its only one game). Always thought Malik would be a great signing for us now and into the future. Loved in the build up how everyone was saying Adelaide got the better of the deal (except for Kossie in the pregame) and then he pulls this out of the bag. I just hope this issnt one game because he knows Adelaide so well. 

Feeling the same. He had great form last season and proved to be a quality A League player. If he can produce more like last night then we may have solved our #6 position. 

He kind of reminds me of a young Kisnorbo. Good positioning good in the air and great in the tackle just a little sloppy or limited with the ball. If he plays within himself and maintains consistency he is a decent anchor in the midfield. 

A-League talking points

Jonathan Howcroft

14 March 2016

[...]

On Friday night you could have drafted this column in praise of Osama Malik.Melbourne City’s January recruit had just steered his side to only their third clean sheet of the season and looked the missing piece of the premiership puzzle. He stepped out confidently from his station at the base of City’s midfield to intercept, assert himself physically, and recycle possession. City possess the best strikeforce in the competition by some margin but with only one clean sheet before March it was impossible to back them for silverware with any confidence. Venturing interstate to unseat the ladder leaders and restricting them to only two shots on target all night changes that perception.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/mar/14/a-league-talking-points-competitive-intrigue-is-something-you-can-sell

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

Has this bloke settled or what? Watching him and Mooy do very different but equally important things in the centre of the park is fantastic.

Thinking the same. Just need the third locked in. Fitzy has looked better especially second half. Be good to see if Caceras Melling or Retre can lock in a spot. That third mid will determine how far we can go.

17 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Thinking the same. Just need the third locked in. Fitzy has looked better especially second half. Be good to see if Caceras Melling or Retre can lock in a spot. That third mid will determine how far we can go.

So true. Been saying all along our midfield isn't as strong as it can be. You can see the thinking behind having Koren, unfortunately it was a flop. 

Think what this team could be if you had a ball playing midfielder who could knock the ball around with Mooy. At present, only really Tuna and Harry play ball - and they're forwards.

No team could shut down a team with these players. Throw in Fitzy/Gameiro as well... 

On 19/03/2016 at 11:44 AM, Tommykins said:

Has this bloke settled or what? Watching him and Mooy do very different but equally important things in the centre of the park is fantastic.

Yes, very much agree. And he was what all good "defensive" Number 6s should be: unobtrusive. Just patrolled the area, cut out some passes, won some headers and played simple balls to the feet of others. Most of which Paartalu could generally do, except the simple balls to feet and not trying to play million dollar through balls, which is why Malik has been so much better, if not quite as much of an attacking aerial threat.   

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Malik content with Melbourne move

Bill Molloy

15 April 2016

Osama Malik says he had no doubts about making the move to Melbourne City earlier this season.

The utility was part of a swap deal with now premiers Adelaide United in the January transfer window but speaking on Daily Football Show, he is sure he made the right move leaving his home town.

“Obviously it was great living at home and spending so much time with the family but in life I think you’ve got to move on and try to explore different things,” Malik said.

“When the opportunity came to come to Melbourne I was all for it. I jumped at the opportunity and I was fortunate it went through in the end.”

Malik still has a chance to win some silverware this season as City’s finals campaign begins on Sunday against Perth Glory.

Perth were beaten comprehensively by Sydney FC last week, but Malik is wary that the otherwise in-form side will look to bounce back.

“You want to be analysing them when they’re playing their best football to get the best idea about how they play,” he said.

“If any team has been 10 or 15 per cent off their best then they get run over and I think that’s what happened on the weekend.

“They didn’t quite show up and Sydney were the better side on the day so obviously we’ll be expecting them to turn that around and put in a better performance.”

The 25-year-old is also confident that City can beat any side if they play to the best of their ability.

“We know on our day we can beat any team in this league,” he said.

“If we put in three good performances we can win the title, so that’s our aim.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/malik-content-melbourne-move#:aYtzkwLiaFA9EA

• 7 months later...

Was having the Chapman Vs Malik debate with a mate last week,  I'm firmly in the Malik corner.

He just needs a leader next to him,  when he was good at unites he has boogard next to him and he looks a much better player when jakobsen is next to him rather than Chapman 

Was bloody good last night

Rather than switching them every week, I'd like to see Osama get a really good run at it

He also has a ripper song 

Am I the only one who thought Malik was no where near MOM. I don't think he had a bad game I just thought he was far from our best. got beat multiple times one on one, mistimed headers and misread balls over the top and they rarely went to a player. When Jakobsen went up for a header, even when it looks like he has misjudged it, he still gets the ball and is more likely to be trying to get it to one of our players as opposed to just getting a head on it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, malloy said:

Am I the only one who thought Malik was no where near MOM. I don't think he had a bad game I just thought he was far from our best. got beat multiple times one on one, mistimed headers and misread balls over the top and they rarely went to a player. When Jakobsen went up for a header, even when it looks like he has misjudged it, he still gets the ball and is more likely to be trying to get it to one of our players as opposed to just getting a head on it.

I'm with you on this and definitely Jakobsen for me as well. But if we were clinical about the game I am sure we would find that all players made errors.

6 hours ago, malloy said:

Definitely thought Jakobsen was man of the match and think Malik was far from perfect, but he played a lot better than I've ever seen him play for us. Yeah he got skinned a few times, but most of the game was absolutely dominant. A great performance from him.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Fanjic at least tries whereas the other two, try as they might, they are a nightmare.

Agree with that. Franjic is miles ahead and has been really good of late. Tonight he was off. Ball watching let that guy through for the first goal. 

The only time Malik has really played well for us was as a stay at home 6 for a few matches with JVS last year.  I just don't know what his role is for the team now - Tongyik and Jacobsen clearly better as CBs, and Kilkenny playing the 6 role for us.  Unless we play a 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-1-3 I just cant see much of a role for him.  He needs to define himself pretty soon and pull his finger out or it does look pretty grim career wise.  Having said that, the above two formations are what we are screaming to do with a proper number 10 who can play a ball.  Only with changes in coaching can this happen - and we know given the repeated stubbornness that it's unlikely at the moment.

It seems to me that he's the sort of player that needs to be on notice to play his best. Coming off the bench (where his versatility would be useful) or playing as an injury replacement in the starting lineup seems to be his go. As soon as he's established, he seems to get comfortable and have a nightmare game. I don't think he was the reason we lost last night (they didn't really capitalise on his howlers), but he certainly didn't help our cause in any way.

I think he is a very capable player but he needs a strong player next to him.  When he was playing well for united he has boogard next to him,  a strong leader 

His few good games this season has been when jakobsen has played well,  when jakobsen doesn't Malik doesnt