Melbourne Football

The Sky Blue Derby: Melbourne vs Sydney 2 Jan

strider

Suck it Simon, you useless hack of a player. At least we don't have worry about you breaking Mooy's leg as you run around like a demented headless chook on crack, making tackles that only Mike Cockerall thinks is good play

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/simon-hit-one-match-ban?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fourfourtwo_autopost#:FyuXETsNVgiocA

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Suck it Simon, you useless hack of a player. At least we don't have worry about you breaking Mooy's leg as you run around like a demented headless chook on crack, making tackles that only Mike Cockerall thinks is good play

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/simon-hit-one-match-ban?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fourfourtwo_autopost#:FyuXETsNVgiocA

Yep, happy with that. Unbelievable that he got cited but Jade North gets away scot free for attempting an eye gouge on Retre? Should be a 4 week ban minimum! Don't care if the ref already carded him, pretty sure the ref didn't see the incident and only carded based on linesmans advice.

Anyway, this is a huge game. 3 points mandatory or we are massive pretenders.

There are going to be occasions where there are sporting events happening on the same day/at the same time - and other events/festivals etc. as well - whatever we do. My view is that we have to stand on our own two feet and attract spectators on our own merits rather than because there's nothing else to do that day.
We'll never get more and better football i.e. an expanded league, better overseas players etc. if we're going to run for cover every time there's something else on.
FFA needs to understand this when it's planning the future for football in this country.

Edit: And I'll add something I raised with the club in S1 or S2 - where's the advertising for this match? Go to the club website and all you can see is a tiny little black tile at the top of the page. Should be a big advertisement "Next Home Match."

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jun said:

I was wondering if there'd be any issues with kit clash, both teams playing with a mix of sky blue and white, but I guess if FFA was happy with all silver vs all white, they'll be more than happy with this.

We have played in our home (and best) kit numerous times against Sydney.

Reality is we have 15 matches to go, 9 of them at home. History suggests we will need 42 points to finish 3rd or 4th, so we need a minimum of 7 wins from here to secure our first home final.

That's the equation. Every defeat from here makes the equation tougher, every win makes it easier. We know we've got the talent in the squad, and IMO it all comes down to whether we've got the bottle.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dylan said:

We have played in our home (and best) kit numerous times against Sydney.

But that's been all white vs sky blue and navy blue. Sydney will have to wear their change socks or forfeit the game, if fifa's (and indeed the FFA's rules) are to be respected (there was a team that forfeited an FFA cup game early in the piece for not bringing suitable change socks for an away game)

4 minutes ago, Jun said:

But that's been all white vs sky blue and navy blue. Sydney will have to wear their change socks or forfeit the game, if fifa's (and indeed the FFA's rules) are to be respected (there was a team that forfeited an FFA cup game early in the piece for not bringing suitable change socks for an away game)

Rest assured sydney will bring a change of socks if they are told to. 

Just now, Dylan said:

Rest assured sydney will bring a change of socks if they are told to. 

No doubt, in which case we'll be treated to a nice mess of white and sky blue all over the pitch. Any chance we could wear our change kit plz? None? k thx n e way

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Reality is we have 15 matches to go, 9 of them at home. History suggests we will need 42 points to finish 3rd or 4th, so we need a minimum of 7 wins from here to secure our first home final.

That's the equation. Every defeat from here makes the equation tougher, every win makes it easier. We know we've got the talent in the squad, and IMO it all comes down to whether we've got the bottle.

Actually the equation is how many games are against teams above us. We'll win or draw the others. So firstly we'll beat Sydney this weekend and probably finish third.

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

There are going to be occasions where there are sporting events happening on the same day/at the same time - and other events/festivals etc. as well - whatever we do. My view is that we have to stand on our own two feet and attract spectators on our own merits rather than because there's nothing else to do that day.
We'll never get more and better football i.e. an expanded league, better overseas players etc. if we're going to run for cover every time there's something else on.
FFA needs to understand this when it's planning the future for football in this country.

Edit: And I'll add something I raised with the club in S1 or S2 - where's the advertising for this match? Go to the club website and all you can see is a tiny little black tile at the top of the page. Should be a big advertisement "Next Home Match."

That's unfair IMO, there was a massive ad on the BACK of the sports section in the Herald Sun today.

Wouldn't have come cheap.