Melbourne Football

RD 12. Anti football comes back to Brisbane. 27/12 7pm

Dylan

14 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I want to know how Zullo is going. Based on what the club has said in the past about players that aren't on the injury or squad list it means he's recovered and is now gaining fitness for games. He's been in some of the pictures of the team walking out for training so he mustn't be far away. I'd assume the club, like with other players, isn't going to rush him back. 

In saying all that it'd make things so much easier if the club actually communicates with members on these things. 

I reckon he will play in the youth team this week

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I want to know how Zullo is going. Based on what the club has said in the past about players that aren't on the injury or squad list it means he's recovered and is now gaining fitness for games. He's been in some of the pictures of the team walking out for training so he mustn't be far away. I'd assume the club, like with other players, isn't going to rush him back. 

In saying all that it'd make things so much easier if the club actually communicates with members on these things. 

I am hoping he may appear in the youth side.

Yes it would be nice to hear a bit more.

8 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I am hoping he may appear in the youth side.

Yes it would be nice to hear a bit more.

Seems like they are being ultra cautious given he is coming back from a knee reco.

wouldnt be surprised if his calf issues were a result of the knee reco either

20 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I actually disagree. Why does he need to be mentioned if he is not injured and not a change from last weeks' squad. It's not like they're going to add the following line in the squad list:

11. ZULLO. (Was injured, isn't anymore but not ready to make this squad yet).

I don't check, but do they announce the youth team anywhere? If so and he is named as an IN, then it's communicated.

2 minutes ago, rass said:

I actually disagree. Why does he need to be mentioned if he is not injured and not a change from last weeks' squad. It's not like they're going to add the following line in the squad list:

11. ZULLO. (Was injured, isn't anymore but not ready to make this squad yet).

I don't check, but do they announce the youth team anywhere? If so and he is named as an IN, then it's communicated.

For a number of reasons.

1. It's what clubs do, especially clubs that have very good communication to its members.

2. It further engages members with the goings on at the club. 

3.  I want to know, like many others, how our players are travelling with their recovery.  

4. If the club is going to bother saying a player will be out for x amount of weeks with injury then they should continue to communicate the players progress after they recover.

If this communication from the club isn't important to you that ok, i don't care tbh. But personally I would like to know because he is an important players for us. 

• Like 1

Just now, n i k o said:

For a number of reasons.

1. It's what clubs do, especially clubs that have very good communication to its members.

2. It further engages members with the goings on at the club. 

3.  I want to know, like many others, how our players are travelling with their recovery.  

4. If the club is going to bother saying a player will be out for x amount of weeks with injury then they should continue to communicate the players progress after they recover.

If this communication from the club isn't important to you that ok, i don't care tbh. But personally I would like to know because he is an important players for us. 

My point is more about the actual squad list that is published every week. There's just no need to have him named in that.

But yeah, I get what you're saying and agree to a point. I think it would be nice to have a separate article, or interview on him that says how he is progressing. Or a separate list on their site somewhere that shows the status of all players.

No need to change the team from the Derby, I'd assume they are in no rush to get Zullo back as the back four have improved over the last couple games. 

If we are leading this game by the 75th minute I'd like to see Hughes brought on for an attacking player to sure up our defence again like in the Derby.  Would give me more confidence in us achieving the win 

As I understand it, players not named are not injured as such, but they are not selected for the match-day squad for whatever reason - lack of match fitness, JvS doesn't like them, not selected for tactical reasons, etc.

"Ins" are players not in the squad for the previous match but are in for this one.

"Outs" are players in the squad for the previous match but not selected for this one.

"Unavailable" can include injured, NT duty, etc.

So, my reading of this weeks list is that Michael Zullo, Callum Richardson, Jason Trifiro and Steve Kuzmanovski are not injured but that they are not selected for whatever reason.

I don't take much notice of these lists TBH, because so much can happen between their announcement and the actual kick-off. IMO what contributes to the uncertainty surrounding players is that JvS seems to make changes to the squad seemingly without a great deal of reason for doing so, and also that some players (such as Richardson and Trifiro) disappear without mention for so long that you begin to wonder if they are still at the club. Further, our bench often looks fairly weak and not capable of changing the outcome of a game, and so therefore I think it is natural for fans to wonder about the status of players who we would expect to see named in the squad (e.g. Zullo).

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

JvS seems to make changes to the squad seemingly without a great deal of reason for doing so

I don't think we can expect to know his exact reasons for not playing players. No one here is privy to what happens during training sessions (performance, effort, attitude etc) or even outside of training. So of course it does seem there isn't a great deal of reason because we won't get access to that information. And that's fair enough. However what we do need, or the club needs to do, is provide simple communication regarding players which have fully recovered from injury that are not mentioned. 

Example: 11. ZULLO (returning to fitness) 

Just for the record I don't think the club need to report on players that may be underperforming, like Kuzi. That's a coaching management decision members don't need to be aware of.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

Perhaps we can assume things have changed regarding Gameiro. For his sake I hope so. 

You can assume an acl is bare minimum a twelve month injury 

And i can kinda understand clubs not being accurate with regard to whos available etc. Why would any club shout that from the rooftops and let other clubs know exactly whats happening 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Luke said:

You can assume an acl is bare minimum a twelve month injury 

And i can kinda understand clubs not being accurate with regard to whos available etc. Why would any club shout that from the rooftops and let other clubs know exactly whats happening 

Are we sure gamiero had the full traditional knee reconstruction, or did he have LARS surgery. If Lars then 3 months is about the right time frame 

leading into this weekend i thought i'd give a bit of a parallel for people given that (a.) we play our worst ever coach, and (b.) the Mariners are the team propping up the league.

after Round 12 two seasons ago, JA was sacked following a 0-1 loss at home to Wellington.

our record at the time (11 games going into the Wellington game) was 4 points from 4 draws, 9 Goals Scored and 21 Goals Conceded. 

CCMs record tonight for this season (11 games going into tonight's Sydney game) is 5 points from 1 win 2 draws, 11 Goals Scored and 24 Goals Conceded. 

i doubt Walmsley (the CCM coach) is close to the sack, yet JA correctly was being question seriously (firstly by us then by the media) about performance and found JA had a complete lack of ability to find an answer.  more than anything this does make me wonder about the impact of marquees, injury lists, etc.

of course JA did have two full preseasons before getting the boot, having taken over a finals making squad from JVS in May 2012.  Walmsley took over from Phil Moss towards the end of last season (March this year) when Moss had shown nothing and the Mariners were (and still are) scrapping the bottom of the barrel after having to sell their best players to cover costs.  the Mariners are on such a small budget that they dont have marquees either.

yet you dont really hear Walmsley whinging and whining like JA about injuries, being unlucky.  plus the Mariners at least try to bring an attacking mindset.

couldnt say that about JA during his tenure with us.

and who is anti football again???

Robert Koren, Aaron Hughes to fight for Melbourne City starting position

David Davutovic

26 December 2015

HIGH-PROFILE visa players Robert Koren and Aaron Hughes will have to win their first XI spots back, according to Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip.

The coach brought his elated players back down to earth, telling them to forget about the epic 2-1 Melbourne derby win upon returning to training last week.

Midfielder Jacob Melling also looks set to start on the bench with last week’s winning derby XI set to be rewarded when City plays Brisbane Roar on Sunday night.

A re-laid Suncorp Stadium should make for an attractive game between two of the A-League’s most watchable teams, with City smashing in 16 goals in four games since Roar coach John Aloisi’s “anti-football” rant after their 1-1 draw.

While Koren, Hughes and Melling have been first XI players, the form of defenders Ben Garuccio and Jack Clisby and derby goalscorers Stefan Mauk and Paulo Retre looks set to be rewarded.

“It’s not given that when you’re fit you’re a starting line up player,’’ van’t Schip said.

“Hughes and Koren are fit but they have to fight back into the team.

“Mauk came into the team and is doing well, and the boys that are playing doing well, they’re gelling. But we’ll keep on looking, see who’s tired, who needs a rest.

“It’s good when you have players like Robi back, they certainly want to prove they should be in starting line up.

“There won’t be any big differences from last week with the squad, but Melling is back.’’

Eager to keep the momentum going, van’t Schip told the players to shift their focus to Brisbane Roar as soon as they returned to training at their Bundoora training base last week.

“At a certain moment we said the derby was gone,’’ he said.

“If we want to be a team in the top places, there is no time to look backwards, we have to look forward.

“We all know the next game is important and we have to leave the derby behind. The build up is always big, the win makes it bigger so we have to make sure we turn it into a positive.

“We know Brisbane will be a tough game, they have back to back wins and they are in a confident mood also.’’

Van’t Schip said the comments of former City coach Aloisi five weeks ago played no motivational part in City’s prolific, unbeaten run since.

He said City’s tactical approach will be no different to their last meeting.

“They were comments that none of us thought were the truth but we haven’t talked about it,’’ van’t Schip said.

“We kept on doing what we did and got players fitter and as a result we’ve had a few good wins.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/aleague-robert-koren-aaron-hughes-to-fight-for-melbourne-city-starting-position/news-story/60b84617b06ac645272af6c4f184c39e

Important game for us, 4 games into our winning streak, 3rd on the ladder and a game that is an important test of the team's character. These are always the games that we have lost in the past and then have had a subsequent return to mediocrity. I won't #Believe that anything has changed for us unless we win this game. We struggled to retain the ball against the visitors last week but we usually play well against Roar. 

Not sure, maybe a score draw.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Important game for us, 4 games into our winning streak, 3rd on the ladder and a game that is an important test of the team's character. These are always the games that we have lost in the past and then have had a subsequent return to mediocrity. I won't #Believe that anything has changed for us unless we win this game. We struggled to retain the ball against the visitors last week but we usually play well against Roar. 

Not sure, maybe a score draw.

Maybe i am still drunk from Christmas but i think we will win convincingly. I might just be starting to #believe in this club

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Walmsley is yet to put a 4'6" striker up front and whack high balls into him.

in addition Aloisi had a much better squad then Walmsley has. 

agree wholeheartedly Shahanga, which is why i find the parallel so amusing.  they guy had no clue.

the fact he has had a reasonably full squad to chose from in Brisbane and that they havent put anyone good to the sword / done it consistently inflates their current performance.

unfortunately none in the media seem to notice it.

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

agree wholeheartedly Shahanga, which is why i find the parallel so amusing.  they guy had no clue.

the fact he has had a reasonably full squad to chose from in Brisbane and that they havent put anyone good to the sword / done it consistently inflates their current performance.

unfortunately none in the media seem to notice it.

The media doesn't write about it because that would require work. JA controlled the narrative after our last meeting with the whole 'anti-football' thing. He makes those comments in his post game presser and thats all davutovic, hassett et all write about for a week. His comments were ridiculous, the challenges on Broich were no more or less cynical than those on Mooy and Novillo and the match was relatively even (and shit). He has done a similar thing this week by describing our attack as the best in the league, its a comment he can use as an excuse if they are poor tonight. All the while deflecting any criticism of his coaching. Classic self preservation as always.

He pulled the same shit at Heart, the media still describes his first coaching stint as unlucky rather than an abject failure on every level because he gives catchy soundbites to our hack football media.

Edited by Jacques Le Cube
spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

He pulled the same shit at Heart, the media still describes his first coaching stint as unlucky rather than an abject failure on every level because he gives catchy soundbites to our hack football media.

Agree but I think both it is still now as it was then that the media still see him as a national hero for that penalty. So they don't want to be seen as slagging him off unless it is totally obvious. 

Agree about him being on the front foot to control media. 

Either way he's still shit as a coach

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1