Melbourne Football

Larissa Crummer

Murfy1

Melbourne City forward Larissa Crummer not focused on W-League scoring record

December 18, 2015

Daniel Cherny

She may have more than twice as many goals as the next most prolific players in the W-League this season, but Larissa Crummer says she is not thinking about the possibility of breaking the competition's single-season scoring record.

Melbourne City forward Crummer has found the back of the net 10 times already, having played in seven of her side's eight straight wins to start the season. With Joe Montemurro's team having already qualified for the finals, Crummer could have as many as six games remaining to pass the mark of 15 goals set by Canberra United star Michelle Heyman in the 2011-12 season.

Seven other players enter round 10 on four goals, including Heyman, and Crummer's City teammates Kim Little and Marianna Tabain.

However, it is not the prospect of setting a new benchmark that is driving Crummer, who remarkably does not turn 20 until next month. Instead it is the prospect of teeing up the premiership. Despite having four matches to play, City could lock away top position should they defeat Perth Glory at home on Sunday, and second-placed Canberra get anything less than a win when they host bottom of the table Melbourne Victory on Saturday. 

"[I'm] not thinking about [the record] at all at the moment," Crummer said on Friday, having returned from this week's Matildas training camp in Canberra.

"It's a team sport and my main goal is to help Melbourne City take out the premiership and then win the grand final."

Crummer said her remarkable scoring run could be credited in large part to the supply of midfielder pair Little and Jess Fishlock.

In spite of their dominance, Crummer added that City were not looking too far ahead. "We don't really think of where we are on the table. We go out, and we train, and we do as Joe says, and we just want to keep getting better and better."

Montemurro has been on record flagging the possibility of squad rotation in the weeks leading up to the finals. It is a luxury afforded by his side's all-conquering run. Crummer said she would be comfortable sitting out for a game if Montemurro thought it best. "If Joe wants to rest me then I would 100 per cent trust Joe. He's the coach and if he thinks resting me is the best decision for the team then I trust him."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-forward-larissa-crummer-not-focused-on-wleague-scoring-record-20151218-glqxr1.html

I like the look of "The Crumm", big, strong, quick, with an accurate and powerful shot, she looks like a good player already and at 20 has a lot of potential.

Fir a player of her vbuild though she needs to get better at holding the ball up (as De Vanna said). To me her touch looked like it needed to improve. Not easy to chNge at 20, but if she wants to step to the next level that's what she needs to do.

7 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I like the look of "The Crumm", big, strong, quick, with an accurate and powerful shot, she looks like a good player already and at 20 has a lot of potential.

Fir a player of her vbuild though she needs to get better at holding the ball up (as De Vanna said). To me her touch looked like it needed to improve. Not easy to chNge at 20, but if she wants to step to the next level that's what she needs to do.

She reminds me of a female version of Zlatan in someways 

23 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Crummer said her remarkable scoring run could be credited in large part to the supply of midfielder pair Little and Jess Fishlock

Yes, I wonder how she'd go in a team that didn't give her such good service. Still, you have to be able to do something with the ball once you've got it, so it's not like she isn't playing well.

Guardian Australia writers’ breakout sports stars of 2015 – part I

Kathryn Kernohan, Pete Smith, Russell Jackson, Matt Cleary

24 December 2015

[...]

Larissa Crummer (football)

It just keeps getting better and better for Larissa Crummer. At the start of the year Crummer seemed just another unremarkable name among the W-League ranks. But coach Alen Stajcic recognised the promise in Crummer, and the Sunshine Coast-raised teenager has blossomed into a star within the space of 12 months.

To say it has been a remarkable year for the 19-year-old would be an understatement. At international level, Crummer was a surprise selection for the Women’s World Cup in Canada where she was the youngest member of the squad. Stajcic decided Crummer’s role should be in the forward line after three years in a variety of roles at club level. She came off the bench in attack in the crucial final group game against Sweden, and also the quarter-final against Japan. Crummer took to the rarefied atmosphere of World Cup football like an old-hand. It was a brief cameo, but her powerful running and natural game sense amid the great and good of world football had tongues wagging.

After Canada, Crummer made the move from local club Brisbane Roar to new all-star side Melbourne City, where she was handed the No9 role in the centre of the forward line ahead of headline-name Lisa De Vanna. Crummer scored a double on debut and hit the 10-goal mark after just six matches. She had previously scored just twice in three full seasons. The W-League golden boot seems assured.

Next up are the Olympic qualifiers in February. The Matildas tackle Asian opposition where five of the world’s best sides are battling for just two tickets to Rio. It is an intense level of competition, arguably unmatched across the globe, Europe included. And a schedule of five games in 10 days adds further to what looms as a gruelling ordeal. But the Matildas have forged a reputation for succeeding against the odds, and if they do so, expect Crummer to be among those making an impact in Rio. PS

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/dec/24/guardian-australia-writers-breakout-sports-stars-of-2015-part-i

• 4 weeks later...

W-League: Golden Crummer hits another high

20 January 2016

Melbourne City FC's Larissa Crummer is still shaking her head in disbelief following a remarkable 12 months that now includes winning the Westfield W-League golden boot.

Crummer scored a double on her debut for City and hit the ten-goal mark after just six matches, before ending the campaign on 11 goals to sit three clear of teammate Kim Little. Yet, incredibly, Crummer had previously scored just twice in three full seasons.

The youngster made the move to Melbourne in the knowledge it was an opportunity to be the number nine for the new glamour club.

“It (playing striker) was one of the main reasons I came to Melbourne,” says Crummer, who hailed the influence of City coach Joe Montemurro over the past few months.

Crummer has typically been used as something of a utility throughout her young career.

The raw 16-year-old was transformed into a fullback in 2012 by then Sydney FC boss Alen Stajcic for her debut season.

The Sunshine Coast raised Crummer subsequently featured in numerous positions for Brisbane Roar over the past two seasons.

“To be honest, no,” says Crummer when asked if she imagined the season going so well both personally and for the team. “It has been my best season and I couldn’t ask for anything better.

“I have learnt so much from Joe (Montemurro), and playing alongside Kim Little and Jess Fishlock. It has helped me a lot, even training with them, I learn something every day.”

Crummer follows in the footsteps of some of the competition’s great goalscorers, a list that includes Leena Khamis, Michelle Heyman, Kyah Simon, Kate Gill and England’s Jodie Taylor.

At one stage Crummer appeared on track to overhaul Heyman’s record tally of 15 goals set in Canberra United’s all-conquering 2011/12 campaign.

She ultimately fell short of that target but is understandably delighted at an impressive achievement for someone that only turned 20 a few weeks back.

“Golden Boot kind of just happened, it is not something I really set out to do,” Crummer said.

Crummer hopes to be a key figure when the Westfield Matildas open their 2016 Rio Olympics campaign next month.

But firstly there is the small matter of City’s debut Westfield W-League finals match when Brisbane Roar visit AAMI Park on Monday (kick-off 4.30pm).

“I’m buzzing about the game, and can’t wait to get out there,” says Crummer about facing her old club. “I’m really, really looking forward to it.”

Westfield W-League 2015/16 top goalscorers
11 - Larissa Crummer (Melbourne City)
8 - Kim Little (Melbourne City)
7 - Ashleigh Sykes (Canberra United), Marianna Tabain (Melbourne City)
6 - Vanessa DiBernardo (Perth Glory)
5 - Michelle Heyman (Canberra United), Abby Dahlkemper, Rosie Sutton (both Adelaide United), Kyah Simon (Sydney FC)

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/w-league/2aea70naz1dc10gb4bzjml1f0

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...