Melbourne Football

Beattie Goad

Murfy1

One to watch: Beatrice Goad

melbourne-city-forward-beatrice-goads-we

15 December 2015 

It seems Beatrice Goad has been turning heads and breaking records ever since she’s begun playing in the Westfield W-League.

From becoming Melbourne Victory’s youngest ever goal-scorer to being the youngest ever Victorian to play in a grand final across both the men’s and women’s competitions.

The 18-year-old attacking midfielder is regarded as a long-term future Matildas star and it’s easy to see why.

While she crossed the Melbourne divide this season – joining high-flying City – Goad’s performances have gone to a new level.

In eight games for the unbeaten City this season, the Victorian-born playmaker has scored two goals, had eight shots, been involved in 39 duels and created four chances for her team-mates.

She’s an exceptional talent and a player definitely worth keeping track of in the race for the NAB Young Footballer of the Year.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/one-to-watch-beatrice-goad/16wqjsmlk4meo1vrnupt5j8b

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Soccer star on track for international goal

January 4, 2016

Meredith Eriksson

Beattie Goad has never been one to do it easy. The 18-year-old was playing in the boys soccer team long before she knew it might lead to a career as a professional player.

On Monday, as she received an almost-perfect score in the International Baccalaureate, the Lauriston Girls School student and Melbourne City player finally took a moment to draw breath.

The journey from being the seven-year-old girl who plays in the under 8s boys team to the girl who sits under a blazer with more sports badges than cotton has been long but it has not come at the expense of academic success.

"I was always watching my brother play and I always wanted to play. I just joined a team and no-one could stand in my way, even if they tried." she said.

In her final year of schooling, Goad was present for only half the time as her drafting into the W-League pulled her from Melbourne to Vietnam and China and back again.

Beattie attends Lauriston alongside fellow IB students Jinyi Cheng and Jenna Golusin, who were among only 30 Australian students to receive a perfect score of forty-five out of forty-five.

Asked what a day in the life of the IB student entailed, the girls grimaced at each other knowingly.

"Hectic." Jenna said.

Both Jinyi and Beattie completed the community service component of their schooling at local nursing homes, undertaking approximately fifty hours of service over the two year program.

Lauriston Girls is one of 163 Australian schools that offer the baccalaureate, which is taught in 147 countries.

Principal Susan Just said the IB offered students a broad base of knowledge and understanding.

"If we talk about young people today, the thing that I note particularly is that they strive to be well-rounded, they strive to want to make a difference," she said.

Goad hopes to turn her soccer talent into a scholarship at a US college and has already applied to such sporting heavyweights as Virginia, Stanford, UCLA and UC Berkley.

Jinyi and Jenna have both applied to Monash University to study medicine and law.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/soccer-star-on-track-for-international-goal-20160104-glz4b6.html

• Like 2

Melbourne City’s Beattie Goad pulls off incredible academic feat

Sarah Olle

January 07, 2016

BEATTIE Goad finished in the top one per cent of high school students in Victoria.

That’s impressive.

But the fact she achieved the academic feat while balancing studies with a fledgling career in the W-League makes her one of the most unique stories around.

While most of her friends went to parties on the weekend, Goad played for Melbourne City, the undisputed queens of the W League.

“I went to Perth the Thursday before my English exam,” she said.

“I was there until the Sunday and then flew home that night because I had my English exam on the Monday.

“That was quite a big deal, especially with the time difference.”

With her busy schedule, you’d forgive Goad for being half-hearted with her approach to school, for flunking the exam or not caring about her ATAR score.

But you probably wouldn’t expect her to score 42 in her International Baccalaureate (IB), placing her in the top one per cent of students in the state.

“It was a pleasant surprise to get such a high ATAR score, but I’ve always been quite academic and I’ve always enjoyed my schooling so I wanted to make sure I didn’t let myself down in that respect,” Goad said.

“I wouldn’t call myself a perfectionist, but I am very organised and if I set myself a goal I like to achieve it.”

The next goal in Goad’s pipeline is winning the W-League championship with her Melbourne City teammates at the end of the month.

City remains undefeated after 11 games and is four games and 14 goals clear of the next best, Canberra.

With a home semi-final and the minor premiership already secured, Goad said City’s desire to taste the ultimate success has remained unwavering.

“We don’t have big egos, our heads are level,” she added.

“We all work really hard and challenge each other.

“We’ve made sure we’re not complacent and that’s why we’ve been so successful.”

And at the heart of that success is City’s coach Joe Montemurro — someone who has watched Goad’s development closely.

In fact, he’s coached Goad three times: at the National Training Centre, Melbourne Victory and now at Melbourne City.

“It’s been fantastic to watch her grow as a footballer, but more importantly as a person,” Montemurro said.

“For Beattie to be achieving what she’s achieving in sport and her academic areas at the heights that she is — and to do it with such humility and desire to be better and better — is all credit to her and her family.”

It is also a credit to Montemurro and his team at Melbourne City who, in their inaugural W League season, have outclassed every opponent they’ve faced.

At only 18-years-old, Goad is one of the younger players in the squad.

But she is also one of the most valuable having played in every game, starting in seven of a possible 11, and travelling to Perth, Canberra, Sydney and Brisbane.

It’s a fulltime travel load for a fulltime athlete, but not something that sounds compatible with the fulltime workload of a year 12 student.

But Goad says Montemurro’s easy going nature made her situation a manageable one.

“We have quite a close relationship,” she said.

“I owe a lot to him.

“I had to take a few trainings off and I had to bring homework to training.

“He was really understanding with everything.”

That includes Goad’s training schedule, one which was highly individualised and tailored towards getting the best out of her football and her schoolwork.

Indeed, when Goad initially signed on to play with Melbourne City, one of the first things the club did was sit down with her to map out her training program.

But even then, Montemurro said he still had to tell Goad to leave the training track at times during the season.

“I think the hardest thing was to hold her back with football,” he said.

“I had to tell her a couple of times to go home and study.

“She loves her football and I think she found it as an important grounding away from the studies.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/melbourne-citys-beattie-goad-pulls-off-incredible-academic-feat/story-e6frf423-1227700248696

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...