Melbourne Football

Round 9: Newcastle away Sunday 2pm, on Fox and ABC

Kinnibari

As predicted, it's a matter of Melbourne City having to break the Jets down, hence the attacking formation change:

W-League: Breaking down Jets is key to winning

12 December 2015

Melbourne City FC defender Steph Catley believes her side's patience will be key to unlocking Newcastle Jet's back four.

New South Wales has been a happy hunting ground for Melbourne this season, taking maximum points from its two fixtures in Sydney and Gosford.

A 6-0 opening round win against the Sky Blues saw Joe Montemurro's girls return with three points before defeating reigning champions Canberra United 4-2 on the Central Coast.

Gearing up four its third trip north in the space of two months, Catley said preparations were running smoothly in camp ahead of tomorrow's Round 9 clash at Hunter Stadium.

“Preparations have been going really well this week. It feels like it's been a while since we've had the whole team together for an entire training week so that always a huge bonus,” Catley said.

“The sessions have been intense and sharp and everyone seems to be buzzing for Sunday.

"I think we can expect an energetic and hard working Newcastle side that like to counter attack but try to play as well. Newcastle have come a long way as a team in the last few years and I think it will be a really tough contest," she added.

Like City, Newcastle boasts the best defensive record in the 2015-16 W-League season.

Both sides have conceded only three goals, with Newcastle maintaining four clean sheets out of a possible six.

Breaking down Newcastle’s tight defensive unit is sure to hand City one of its more difficult assignments this weekend, but Catley said her side's patience will be crucial in dismantling its fourth placed oppoenents.

"That statistic (three goals) says a lot about their organisation defensively and having watched some footage of their games, it's clear that they are a very strong side defensively.

"I think the key for us is to not get frustrated on the ball and also being clinical and ruthless in front of goal when we have opportunities". 

City Welcomed back eight girls from international duty last week as Montemurro's girls defeated Melbourne Victory 4-0.

Catley was one of the travelling party as the Matilda's journeyed to South Korea the week prior.

It was the third time this season the full back had received an international call up.

“It's been tough at times," she conceded.

"We're very well looked after at both the Matildas and Melbourne City to ensure that our training loads are balanced and our bodies are recovering after travel and games.”

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/w-league/155p9klid0d9r1gaavpb8iwoxw

I wouldn't mind seeing a replay of that Crummer offside goal, as it didn't look too bad to me.

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

Because it's our home and primary kit and should be worn at every opportunity. 

No. Definitely not that. Girls have worn red & white heaps this season. It's more they have predetermined games they will wear certain strips in order to keep the sponsors happy.

The sponsors wishes seem to be several orders of magnitude higher in priority than the fans at MCFC.

• Like 1