Melbourne Football

What do you do and what are your plans?

strider

Thought it would be cool to get a thread going for us to network. 
Discuss job opportunities, studies all that good stuff and provide help to each other if possible.

I'll kick it off -- currently work in PR/Comms but looking to go back to uni to do either an MBA or teaching. 
Previously worked in Data Analysis and Market Research.

So if anyone needs any help regarding the above areas I've worked in -- reach out and vice versa. 

Note: Yes you can discuss the shitness of your job here. My boss is a fuckin' derro. He's filthy rich but socially inept. 

7 minutes ago, strider said:

Discuss job opportunities, studies all that good stuff and provide help to each other if possible.

I'll kick it off -- currently work in PR/Comms but looking to go back to uni to do either an MBA or teaching. 

So if anyone needs any help regarding the above areas I've worked in -- reach out and vice versa.

Note: Yes you can discuss the shitness of your job here. My boss is a fuckin' derro. He's filthy rich but socially inept.

lovejoy3.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, strider said:

I don't think an MBA is right for you from what I know, seems to be more for people who are looking to move into management with not much of a business background, probably too early in your career. But then again I'm not sure I fully understand MBAs since in the US they are needed to become an associate in an IB and in Australia they seem to be common amongst academics in commerce.

Anyway, it seems Australia is a weird country where education is undervalued and being overqualified is actually something you have to worry about, something to think about if you want to do an MBA. 

PS where you trolling when you said you were doing a Masters in Psychology?

PPS teaching is surprisingly well paid, and despite a lot of your posts I can confidently say you are smarter than many teaching grads. 

Edited by Tesla

3 minutes ago, Tesla said:

PS where you trolling when you said you were doing a Masters in Psychology?

PPS teaching is surprisingly well paid, and despite a lot of your posts I can confidently say you are smarter than many teaching grads. 

Tes of course I was trolling when I said I was doing a Masters in Psych (although it was a part of my undergrad -- toyed with the idea of post-grad but no thanks) 

Teaching is a great, comfortable job. I say that with confidence as I know many people in the industry (idk how I'd ever be able to teach a 13 year old Strider). 
I suppose the only issue is the job opps for teachers. If anything I'd get into secondary -- doesn't seem like there is much on offer apart from relief/casual teaching. 

How about you, Tes? What did you do to roll around in your Rolls Royce? 

Just now, strider said:

Tes of course I was trolling when I said I was doing a Masters in Psych (although it was a part of my undergrad -- toyed with the idea of post-grad but no thanks) 

Teaching is a great, comfortable job. I say that with confidence as I know many people in the industry (idk how I'd ever be able to teach a 13 year old Strider). 
I suppose the only issue is the job opps for teachers. If anything I'd get into secondary -- doesn't seem like there is much on offer apart from relief/casual teaching. 

How about you, Tes? What did you do to roll around in your Rolls Royce? 

Teaching actually seems to be one of the easiest careers to get into as a grad currently since the growing population has created lots of jobs for teachers, and if you knew how retarded the average teaching graduate is you wouldn't be worried about getting a job.

There was actually a government inquiry/report into it recently because the standard is so bad, but I'm sure your mate Cad can tell you more about that.

As for myself, I'm just forever trying to find a way to make money with minimal effort, the 40 hours a week,  for 46 weeks a year, for 50 years of your life business isn't for me,  I'll let you know when I figure it out. 

11 minutes ago, Tesla said:

As for myself, I'm just forever trying to find a way to make money with minimal effort, the 40 hours a week,  for 46 weeks a year, for 50 years of your life business isn't for me,  I'll let you know when I figure it out. 

... So what do you deal? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I work in hospitality so my plans are to either get out of hospitality or kill myself, whichever comes first 

latest?cb=20121214210610

6 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Jail isn't for me either, I love freedom too much, and I know too many people that have been to jail and life is an uphill battle after that.

Have you studied anything? I think you might have mentioned it a while back

23 minutes ago, strider said:

latest?cb=20121214210610

Have you studied anything? I think you might have mentioned it a while back

Yes, I have a bcomm and completed 1/3 of a master in finance before putting it on hold which I'd have to return to this coming semester if I want to complete it but cbf tbh. I'd only be continuing it because I'm interested in learning rather than for career reasons as it's an industry which is the opposite of what I described above (very long hours as opposed to my goal of putting in minimal effort to making money). I'd be qualified to do a phd after as well if I wanted to but that's a big commitment and phds are not valued/respected in Australia (unlike the US for example) and only really good for a career in academia (which does seem to tick the 'minimal effort' box going off what I've witnessed).

These are things I need to think about when I get home but tbh I'm more interested in booking another holiday with the low fares available to the US these days :up: 

48 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Quality thread Strider. 👍👍👍

Thanks Jovjov

35 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Yes, I have a bcomm and completed 1/3 of a master in finance before putting it on hold which I'd have to return to this coming semester if I want to complete it but cbf tbh. I'd only be continuing it because I'm interested in learning rather than for career reasons as it's an industry which is the opposite of what I described above (very long hours as opposed to my goal of putting in minimal effort to making money). I'd be qualified to do a phd after as well if I wanted to but that's a big commitment and phds are not valued/respected in Australia (unlike the US for example) and only really good for a career in academia (which does seem to tick the 'minimal effort' box going off what I've witnessed).

These are things I need to think about when I get home but tbh I'm more interested in booking another holiday with the low fares available to the US these days :up: 

Let's go to Vegas together 

I'm currently studying to be a primary school teacher and work part time as a gardener/concreter/guttercleanerperson/will do anything for cash

Are you interested in teaching primary school or high school teaching strider? I can give you pro's and cons of primary school teaching pretty simply as:

Pro's:

Theres lots of women

Con's:

Theres lots of women

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I'm currently studying to be a primary school teacher and work part time as a gardener/concreter/guttercleanerperson/will do anything for cash

Are you interested in teaching primary school or high school teaching strider? I can give you pro's and cons of primary school teaching pretty simply as:

Pro's:

Theres lots of women

Con's:

Theres lots of women

I'm thinking high school. In fact just got accepted into RMIT's Master of Teaching (secondary) just a few hours ago...

Lots of women is a con? In what world?

Currently doing year 12 IB. Cannot be fucked picking a uni course, studying it for 10 years then not getting a job out of it. Literally want to be a career firefighter, but everyone's demotivated me about that aspiration, saying its a waste of my potential.

Edited by jeffplz

Just now, jeffplz said:

Currently doing year 12 IB. Cannot be fucked picking a uni course, studying it for 10 years then not getting a job out of it. Literally want to be a career firefighter, but everyone's demotivated me about that aspiration, saying its a waste of my potential.

I tried IB for one semester in year 11 last year. Couldn't be fucked anymore so I just continued with VCE which I finished this year.

3 hours ago, strider said:

I'm thinking high school. In fact just got accepted into RMIT's Master of Teaching (secondary) just a few hours ago...

Lots of women is a con? In what world?

It's good because even if you're hideous as fuck as me you can still pick up a pretty decent braud and always have hood eye candy to look at

It's bad because it's so female dominated their are fights over some of the most petty shit you wouldn't believe. It can lead to some environments feeling like it's high school all over again.

But if you're doing high school their will be a better balance of male and female teachers so i don't think you have to worry about that

• Like 1

Currently in my second year of a Bachelor of Arts at uh *cough* VU *cough*, majoring in Asian Studies and Professional Writing. Right now I am studying in Japan for six months which has been awesome so far. Somehow managed to get myself a Japanese scholarship, I have no idea how that happened.
To be honest, I've found that studying abroad is a whole lot easier than studying in Australia, I have a friend studying in Korea at the moment and they agree haha. I am also the only Australian here, and I have found that I have gravitated towards the German students, rather than the native English speakers, make of that what you will.
Plenty of really attractive girls too, so that's a positive.

2 hours ago, xXJawsaXx said:

Currently in my second year of a Bachelor of Arts at uh *cough* VU *cough*, majoring in Asian Studies and Professional Writing. Right now I am studying in Japan for six months which has been awesome so far. Somehow managed to get myself a Japanese scholarship, I have no idea how that happened.
To be honest, I've found that studying abroad is a whole lot easier than studying in Australia, I have a friend studying in Korea at the moment and they agree haha. I am also the only Australian here, and I have found that I have gravitated towards the German students, rather than the native English speakers, make of that what you will.
Plenty of really attractive girls too, so that's a positive.

What part of Japan? Is it as advanced as people make it out to be? 

1 hour ago, Nate said:

Casual at Bunnings, just finished my second year of Sport Management at uni. 

no idea where I want to end up really, not too certain there's anywhere TO end up

Get a job at Melb City when you finish and fix the fuckin' mess haha. I had that feeling too halfway through my undergrad... finish your degree and ride the wave of life.
Better than over-thinking IMO.

I work in customer service at the moment, trying to write a book and planning on starting up a sports website early next year hopefully. Plus get my MMA website back up and running maybe through the other website. Ultimate goal would to move to USA and be a MMA journalist but i know that would be a hard thing to accomplish 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BeardedHeart said:

I work in customer service at the moment, trying to write a book and planning on starting up a sports website early next year hopefully. Plus get my MMA website back up and running maybe through the other website. Ultimate goal would to move to USA and be a MMA journalist but i know that would be a hard thing to accomplish 

What's the book going to be about?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, strider said:

Get a job at Melb City when you finish and fix the fuckin' mess haha. I had that feeling too halfway through my undergrad... finish your degree and ride the wave of life.
Better than over-thinking IMO.

Haha, one day perhaps. Or maybe the FFA, god knows half the deadshits in my course could probably do a better job than some of those guys.

I've got the grades to do post-grad though so I'll probably do that first and see where it goes from there.

1 hour ago, tomby said:

What's the book going to be about?

Well im not going to give the plot away but  find myself writing more and more thriller based. I'm my biggest critic though and seem to write a few chapters and then don't like the direction so start all over again which really is not  getting me any closer to writing the book

• Like 1

11 hours ago, strider said:

What part of Japan? Is it as advanced as people make it out to be? 

I am in an area of Tokyo called Kodaira, so out in the suburbs basically. Uh, it depends really, this area is nice, but parts of Japan look kind of run down and scummy the further away from the city you get tbh. The touristy parts like Shinjuku and Akihabara are very sleek and nice looking. There are little things that are more advanced than in Australia, but then there are other things that are shit (The wi-fi here sucks balls for example).
Also, if you do come to Tokyo and stick around areas like Shibuya and Harajuku the cashiers and stuff will speak English to you. Even if you know Japanese haha.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I bought some Labradors, King James Cavaliers and Chihuahuas today. I'm going to start an inbred puppy farm in the spare room. Weird guy at the store even gave me some dog aphrodisiac, he swears it gets them in the mood.

So anyone want a cute puppy in a few months?

Can confirm @Jimmy and I have the yellow heart on snap chat 

18 hours ago, xXJawsaXx said:

I am in an area of Tokyo called Kodaira, so out in the suburbs basically. Uh, it depends really, this area is nice, but parts of Japan look kind of run down and scummy the further away from the city you get tbh. The touristy parts like Shinjuku and Akihabara are very sleek and nice looking. There are little things that are more advanced than in Australia, but then there are other things that are shit (The wi-fi here sucks balls for example).
Also, if you do come to Tokyo and stick around areas like Shibuya and Harajuku the cashiers and stuff will speak English to you. Even if you know Japanese haha.

I've seen what happens on those Jap subways and trains...

I don't know how i'd cope up there to be honest... I'd be tired as fuck by the time i get to where i'm going.