Melbourne Football

RD 8 Derby II 3pm @ Kingston Heath.

Dylan

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the pitch at the original venue is in a poor state:

Melbourne City W-League coach Joe Montemurro hits back at Matildas' midfielder Elise Kellond-Knight

December 4, 2015

Daniel Cherny

Melbourne City W-League coach Joe Montemurro has hit back at Matilda Elise Kellond-Knight, saying he doesn't understand her criticism of his dominant team.

City have won all six of their games thus far in what is their first season in the competition. They are eight points clear on top of the table, and have conceded just three goals to the halfway point of the campaign.

But Kellond-Knight, who plays for German club Turbine Potsdam, was quoted earlier in the week questioning whether City's unprecedented recruiting spree was good for the competition, suggesting they had weakened other clubs.
"I'm not sure it's a great thing but it's interesting to watch," Kellond-Knight said.
However Montemurro said that while he welcomed Kellond-Knight's opinion he struggled to understand her stance.

"In the same breath she said it's probably one of the best assembled W-League sides ever, so we thank her for the kind words. [But] I'm not exactly sure what her opinion's trying to state - in terms of how it's detrimental," Montemurro said.

Midfielder Kellond-Knight, 25, spent six seasons at Brisbane Roar before heading to Germany, and was one of seven Roar players in the Australian squad that went to this year's World Cup in Canada, a point not lost on Montemurro.

"It's quite funny because she comes historically from a Brisbane team that's always been stacked with Matildas, and last year brought in the best goalkeepers in the world in Nadine Angerer.

"I don't understand how we're weakening sides. I don't understand the cause of the opinion."

In any case Montemurro said he hoped City's success would force other clubs to step up their game, both in terms of signing top talent and developing talented youngsters.

City had the bye last week and return to action when they face Melbourne Victory in the second derby of the season this Sunday at Bulleen. The match was moved from Kinston Heath due to the poor state of the Cheltenham venue. Montemurro's team edged the sides' first meeting in round two 2-1, a game in which they had to make do without several Matildas stars.

The coach said he was planning on rotating players in the back half of the campaign, providing greater opportunities for the likes of Melina Ayres, Alex Chidiac, Olivia Ellis and Anisa Guajardo.

However he was nevertheless expecting the eight City players who spent last week away on international duty to be available to face last-placed Victory, who opened their account for the season when they beat Perth Glory 3-1 last weekend.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-wleague-coach-joe-montemurro-hits-back-at-matildas-midfielder-elise-kellondknight-20151204-glfh9j.html?&utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=nc&eid=socialn:twi-14omn0023-optim-nnn:nonpaid-27/06/2014-social_traffic-all-organicpost-nnn-age-o&campaign_code=nocode&promote_channel=social_twitter

26 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

The change in venue might not impact crowd numbers, but it will probably make a fair bit of difference on who actually goes.  Those two grounds are a long way apart, me i wasn't interested in going to Kingston Heath, but Bulleen is a lot more palatable. 

IIRC it was the only one scheduled south of the Yarra, so makes a big difference to those who live in the S-E. Doesn't affect me personally because I'm out for Germano, but if I was fit I'd be a bit pissed off.

First match that I have been to watch and it was really entertaining. Great skills, excellent understanding and some fabulous playmaking.  If you haven't been along its highly recommended - I certainly shall.

Had a few Victory supporters behind complaining that City is the "richest club" and "its not fair that they have most of the Matildas".  Come on guys, this is what every womens team should be aiming for, and the standard of the w-league should only improve.

Much to my surprise my youngest agreed to go but only for half a game, (pretty good for her, hadn't been to an A League game this year) so I have a "half a match report".

First the venue, well as I knew and others have said there is bugger all parking there, so the fall back is on the verge of the busy Bulleen Road. Not great. Safety for pedestrians to the ground is questionable.

The game was on their main ground, which for those that don't know, is synthetic. I reckon it's getting old now so whilst the ball ran true, every time it hit the deck a puff of those black plastic things ( the bane of mums, wives and partners) would shoot in the air. Not surprisingly the pitch played a lot slower than grass.

As to the crowd well any announced figures will be understated because they just waved us through when we flashed our memberships, so they'd only count the sales.

With both teams A League sides playing away it probably helped the turn out. Not sure about numbers but the long stubby grandstand was close to full and the cement terrace on the other side half full, plus quite a few standing on the fence. Plenty of tards there, enjoying watching their side get smashed. As per usual the vocal ones displayed their normal knowledge of the rules of the game (do you have to fail an intelligence test before you are accepted as a supporter?)

as to the game itself we went into the sheds at half time 1-0 up courtesy of a Beattie header. We had had all the ball and whilst we hadn't peppered their goal we'd done enough to hit the post twice. They on the other hand had tried a few quick counters, none of which had led to a shot. So all in all we were well on top and not only that, there was clearly a big differential between the 2 sides. TBH it wasn't hard to see why they were last, a couple of their players just didn't look good enough for the W League.

Our team, as we've come to expect played lovely possession football with an ample display of class.

Great game to watch. One of the best Melbourne Derbys I've experienced in a while (hard to top a thumping 4-0 win). I can only echo the sentiment to get along to the remaining 3 home matches this W-League season.

Melbourne City continue winning streak with 4-0 win over Melbourne Victory

December 6, 2016

Matt Windley

THERE is no stopping Melbourne City’s all-conquering women’s team, who maintained their perfect W-League start with a 4-0 derby rout of Melbourne Victory on Sunday.

City is now seven from seven in its debut season.

The Manchester City-backed club wasn’t at full strength when it defeated Victory 2-1 in Round 2, but definitely was on Sunday in front of 753 fans at the Veneto Club in Bulleen.

And it showed.

Jennifer Beattie opened the scoring in the 35th minute after a Kim Little corner, a goal that was coming given City had spent the majority of the half camped in bottom-placed Victory’s defensive third.

Matildas striker Larissa Crummer sent a scare through the City camp when she went down clutching her left knee early in the second half, but was soon up to double the margin in the 50th minute.

Crummer had a brace by the 72nd minute after poking home a neat square ball from Lisa De Vanna, before Little completed the rout in the 79th.

In yet another poor look for the sport, Sunday’s game was only moved from Kingston Heath Soccer Complex on Friday after City officials inspected the ground and alerted Football Federation Australia to the shoddy state of the Bentleigh pitch.

Bulleen’s pitch is synthetic — which made things even more uncomfortable in Sunday’s heat — and has also had a bad track record when it comes to injuries.

City coach Joe Montermurro said he was disappointed by the last-minute switch.

“It’s just the message that it sends,” Montemurro said.

“We’re trying to keep a level of professionalism in the game and then all of a sudden there’s venue changes and pretty dramatic venue changes too because of the change in surface.

“It’s just about getting the protocols and processes right, getting someone out there during the week to make sure the ground is good so there’s no issues at 5pm on a Friday night.”

Despite the scoreline, Victory coach David Edmondson was full of praise for his young team that contained two 16-year-olds and two 15-year-olds.

“For the majority of the time we did what we’d planned to do,” Edmondson said.

“They scored three goals on the counter. When we’re playing against the best team in the league and some of the best players in the world, we said we were going to go out and make things difficult for them and I think we did that.

“Their goals were coming on the back of our best bits of possession, which we knew could happen.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/wleague-melbourne-city-continue-winning-streak-with-40-win-over-melbourne-victory/news-story/418eb52aba5633a72a9e8d02851db54d

6 hours ago, Kinnibari said:

Full time, 4-0. De Vanna is being interviewed by the fan radio commentary team, anyone listening to it?

The interview is at 5.20 minutes here, after the match report:

So for the seventh time in seven games, we score an even number of goals, and with it we record a win which puts this current run into the top 10 (well, as equal 10th) in the longest unbeaten streaks in W-League history. Unfortunately I'm not sure how many of the other runs in that category were entirely wins, but I'm guessing...not many.

Next round we're up against Newcastle Jets, who have an identical defensive record to us, with only three conceded, but in six games to our seven. They have, however, scored only seven to our 26. Could be one of those "unstoppable force meets immovable object" games.

Also, I'd just like to end by saying that it's now mathematically impossible for the visitors to catch us this season.

Edited by Falastur

8 hours ago, Falastur said:

Also, I'd just like to end by saying that it's now mathematically impossible for the visitors to catch us this season.

How satisfying. Also the fact that it was a direct defeat that sealed it is the cherry on top.

Crowd figure is a little disappointing given we got ~500 to our last game, but the weather was pretty off putting and I have no idea where more people would have parked.

Thanks for the video link @Murfy1

Ok having listened, couple of interesting points:

- This is the first time any City team has won successive derbys

- She talked a little about Crummer and said she wished Crummer would listen to her more and learn from what she was saying, like working on holding up the ball to bring other players in

2 hours ago, Kinnibari said:

Ok having listened, couple of interesting points:

- This is the first time any City team has won successive derbys

- She talked a little about Crummer and said she wished Crummer would listen to her more and learn from what she was saying, like working on holding up the ball to bring other players in

My take is that the Crumm lacks the touch to hold the ball up well. This will take a long time to change.

In regards to the crowd like I said I don't think they counted members. Have to add at least 200 and maybe a lot more.