Melbourne Football

The APL/FA Management Thread

thisphantomfortress

I have a different view on it. I'm ok with no right of appeal, the FFA needs to get the ratbags out of the game & I strongly suspect most of the "innocent" were  maybe just banned on the wrong day. It's easy for someone to claim they are "innocent", but it doesn't mean it's true. On that note I think the letter Niko posted would have had a lot more credibility if the author had signed it. Given he was already in the Daily Telegraph I would have thought he didn't have a lot to lose.

I do think though that if you have no right of appeal, (or a chance to defend yourself), then surely privacy goes with that.

15 hours ago, belaguttman said:

@kingofhearts I certainly agree with the expectation that fans should behave during matches and that sanctions should result from misbehaviour. Unless we all believe that security teams have not made a singe error in identifying 198 miscreants from a crowd of active supporters then they should have natural justice with a right of appeal. Currently the only people who have no right to hear the evidence against them nor have a right of appeal are asylum seekers and football fans. Of course there's no proof that any of the fans have been mistakenly identified, that is the point, there's also no proof that any of them have been correctly identified for the same reason. An appeal process allows allegations to be tested, if found guilty then they should be excluded. 

The second issue is one of privacy. I believe that very few of these people have been charged with a crime and perhaps only 1 that I know of has been convicted. If this is the case then on what basis have these identities and photos been published? Some of these people are minors, even the Childrens Court surpasses their identity from public reporting in situations where young people have been charged and convicted. The real story here is that there is a list of excluded people in football and probably all other sports but that this list has been prepared without a proper process of evidence and appeal. The other issue is really how many other sports bother at all, I find it hard to believe that cricket puts any effort into excluding fans who cause trouble

Whilst i agree with most of what you're saying i still stand behind the that:

1)This issue does not effect us as much compared to clubs such as Victory and Wanderers and does not warrant a 90 minute protest (considering these two active areas are only doing a walkout at a specific point in the game compared to ourselves who are abandoning the game entirely)

2)There are more important issues (such as JVS) which i feel should be protested before a topic like this. 

3)I also feel as if what the cove did in talking with sydney police officers and the ffa I believe is a more effective way of sorting the issue out then silent protesting.

Whilst i strongly disagree with the protest i respect the amount of time and money the Melburnians put into making the active area as amazing as it is so if they believe this issue deserves a 90 minute protest i guess we have no option other then to support them on game day. I think the Melburnians however better be ready tomorrow to cop some flack from the crowd judging by the general attitude towards the protest on here is anything to go by.

• Like 1

I can already see all the fat lazy atmosphere sponges outside active sitting on their asses, sooking and even yelling out to active " why aren't you singing! Support your club! It's disgusting!! Blah blah!

hope active can ignore these clowns and not get into verbal confrontation.

• Like 3

So apparently the so called death threats was a parody put on by a Wanderers supporter. Word is police didn't know it was a parody until they got to his house and realised there was nothing to it. Below is the link to it.  At 2.34 is the subtitled version. This may explain why Wilson and co. didn't come forward with evidence of these threats. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v8fas6bx1M

Edited by n i k o

6 hours ago, Jestr said:

I can already see all the fat lazy atmosphere sponges outside active sitting on their asses, sooking and even yelling out to active " why aren't you singing! Support your club! It's disgusting!! Blah blah!

Now dance, rummy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

So apparently the so called death threats was a parody put on by a Wanderers supporter. Word is police didn't know it was a parody until they got to his house and realised there was nothing to it. Below is the link to it.  At 2.34 is the subtitled version. This may explain why Wilson and co. didn't come forward with evidence of these threats. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v8fas6bx1M

The problem with doing something like this is many people will find it in bad taste and use as a reason to justify their opinions. It's the day and age we live in. Individuals in the press are happy to demonise and ridicule others in print but are hyper sensitive about their own privacy and rights. Take for example this stellar piece of karma handed out to Ray Martin a few years back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsbcScp9wpU Ray had no issue with pursuing these bogans but didn't like it when the same tactics and shaming were turned on him. Many of these media commentators are just bullies. 

If I was a wsw member looking to make a joke about the author of the piece that named them I certainly wouldn't in the currently climate: a.) imitate a terrorist organisation or b.) threaten (even jokingly) violence against women in act or deed.

Whilst a joke both of them are only going to get you in deep shit and not really allow you to get your point across. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jestr said:

Just like they did the last time we had a protest when we didn't stand for mediocrity. But try getting them to engage in any form of support throughout the game and they just stare back with a look on their face suggesting we've insulted their support. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete Heartspur said:

That's why it's called News "Ltd"!

That should really be entered for a short film award. News Limited should really be called Limited News.

Good humour really cuts a fine line between discomfort and slapstick. The video uses all the fears used daily by Jones et al on their propaganda broadcasts and paris them to finish up with 'Love Life', the opposite message to the hatred preached by Jones et al.

Edited by belaguttman

8 hours ago, tomby said:

Everyone should still come into the active bay. I know of about 25 of us who will be there chanting our lungs out, come join us!

See you all tonight! 

WE ARE MELBOURNE - WE ARE CITY.

Keep it up lads, doing fucking excellent. 

WE ARE MELBOURNE - WE ARE CITY. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, dr lime said:

YAWN !! ..... One of the most useless, impotent, pointless exercises in deluded self-importance I have seen in a long time. Our active support crew are now officially almost as arrogant and self-absorbed as the tossers at WSW and Victory, whose heads are so far up their own arses they can't see daylight. As If the shit we have endured on the park isn't enough, now we have the awkwardness of  lame, half-baked political statements to embarass us as well. Perhaps well-intentioned but ultimately just a prize wank.   

Any cunt siding with the xenophobic media can get fucked

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Luke said:

Any cunt siding with the xenophobic media can get fucked

If you think I am siding with the xenophobic media you are totally wrong. Just because I think the form of protest could be better doesn't mean I support the pricks at News Ltd. However I think that we should find other, more useful ways to "protest" and express our disgust. Not turning up to a game as a protest against the xenophobic anti-football media is like cutting off your dick because your girlfriend won't give you a headjob. Self-defeating. 

Edited by dr lime
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, dr lime said:

If you think I am siding with the xenophobic media you are totally wrong. Just because I think the form of protest could better doesn't mean I support the pricks at News Ltd. However I think that we should find other, more useful ways to "protest" and express our disgust. Not turning up to a game as a protest against the xenophobic anti-football media is like cutting off your dick because your girlfriend won't give you a headjob. Self-defeating. 

I do understand where you're coming from, i reckon wilson and co would be feeling pretty smug that they've gotten under the skin of supporter groups 

15 minutes ago, dr lime said:

YAWN !! ..... One of the most useless, impotent, pointless exercises in deluded self-importance I have seen in a long time. Our active support crew are now officially almost as arrogant and self-absorbed as the tossers at WSW and Victory, whose heads are so far up their own arses they can't see daylight. As If the shit we have endured on the park isn't enough, now we have the awkwardness of  lame, half-baked political statements to embarass us as well. Perhaps well-intentioned but ultimately just a prize wank.   

Yes how true. They actually think THEY represent all the fans whereas they are self aggrandising. Tonight's performance from this troupe was just arrogant.

Better just go and support your team instead of lame politics.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ray said:

Yes how true. They actually think THEY represent all the fans whereas they are self aggrandising. Tonight's performance from this troupe was just arrogant.

Better just go and support your team instead of lame politics.

Believe it or not, I haven't posted a lot of stuff i thought, simply because i want to support the young melbourians leadership, who I believe mean well.

For me though was a disappointing that they went ahead when it was clear support (including from the terrace) was at about 5%.  if you can only convince 5% of your friends, how can you convince anyone else?  In addition there was an alternative (and more sensible) model of protest put forward by the cove.

Anyway, (as they say in the classics), whatever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dconder13 said:

when the entire stadium joins in, something melburians could never achieve 

Isn't that because the Melburnians are scattered throughout the stadium rather than being down one end? I thought that the protest was actually quite effective and the point of it was exactly illustrated when security over reacted and assaulted fans at the GA end when they dared to hold up a banner - what criminals and terrorists they must be!

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, dr lime said:

If you think I am siding with the xenophobic media you are totally wrong. Just because I think the form of protest could be better doesn't mean I support the pricks at News Ltd. However I think that we should find other, more useful ways to "protest" and express our disgust. Not turning up to a game as a protest against the xenophobic anti-football media is like cutting off your dick because your girlfriend won't give you a headjob. Self-defeating. 

I don't think that protest has to be 'either/or', there'd be little point in boycotting the active area for more than one game but there are other forms of protest that can continue and make the point in a more subversive and humorous way.

• Like 1

• jw1739 changed the title to The APL/FA Management Thread
  • jw1739 pinned this topic