Melbourne Football

The APL/FA Management Thread

thisphantomfortress

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Lowy jr never should have got the job in the first place. The only thing he did was tarnish his old mans legacy.

not even close to up to the challenge 

I wasn't that fussed when he got the job: ex-socceroos so he knwos teh game, highly paid exec in the corporate the world, even though he inherited that, so he knew the ropes for running a corporation and had contacts. However he did disappoint massively because he had no vision, he could not lead, he could not read the play and ultimately he could not manage. Time for him to go followed by that idiot Gallop.

• Like 1

Didn't know about the new combined Macarthur/SWS bid - that's an interesting bid with its "community ownership" component.

IMO we should push ahead with expansion irrespective of what happens to the FFA Board. There'll never be an obvious absolutely perfect climate for expansion, and there will always be an element of risk involved. The League is stagnating as it is, and we need to move ahead.

4 hours ago, Harrison said:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/ffa-war-could-delay-a-league-expansion

Good summary of the situation and what could happen in the next few months. Very messy period coming up with big decisions to be made every month until the end of the year. 

Just a scare tactic from FFA to get the state Feds on their side.

Was always going to end up messy. I dare say that expansion will still happen as I dare say the new congress will want to have as smooth a transition as possible. 

I think overall the Lowry model hassnt been great at all, starting with the ignoring the original...Crawford report was it? I only moved in Melbs in 05 so I came in right at the start of the end of the NSL so I have no deep knowledge of the issues that had. But from what I have read, what Lowy ended up doing was definitely needed, and perhaps he could have been the only one to have squeezed out govn funding.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Its over

Thank goodness. We also get an independent A-League, to start probably 2019/20, but looks like expansion might be delayed. The A-League clubs were known to favour going to 14 clubs (rather than FFA's 12), so maybe a delay in expansion is a good thing.

Some job losses could be on the cards I'd say. Gallop has lost his patron, and O'Rourke won't be required once the A-League is independent.

Interesting times.

21 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

does that mean that they would have the power to remove the salary cap system and operate as a free market like everyone else does except North America?

What ever they want to do. As long as AFC are happy with it too

• Like 2

2 hours ago, haz said:

What ever they want to do. As long as AFC are happy with it too

That's how I understand it too. And it's important to remember that the club owners are not stupid - they are going to make decisions that they believe will benefit the league, not torpedo it.

It made me laugh to hear Lowy refer to the dangers of "vested interests." As if Westfield is an organization that does not have "vested interests" in the decisions it makes. Doubt it concerns itself with the death of local shopping strips when it opens a new shopping centre.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's how I understand it too. And it's important to remember that the club owners are not stupid - they are going to make decisions that they believe will benefit the league, not torpedo it.

It made me laugh to hear Lowy refer to the dangers of "vested interests." As if Westfield is an organization that does not have "vested interests" in the decisions it makes. Doubt it concerns itself with the death of local shopping strips when it opens a new shopping centre.

The funnier part of his speech for how he had to correct himself when he said he was unanimously 'appointed' rather than 'elected'.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Dylan said:

Fozz for chairman!

Conroy would be good too. Is a big football supporter (Heart) and ex politicians are always good to have to get some funds

I suspect Fozz could be a divisive figure. I don't sense he has the capacity to bring people together. However he would be OK as a committee member who is willing to give his opinion forcefully :tooth:

I saw a replay of the event last night and honestly, those that talk the loudest and longest are not necessarily the right people. This was a media event and it favours those people who are comfortable in front a camera or microphone or in the media generally. People who don't have that background could come across as being awkward but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good board member.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

I suspect Fozz could be a divisive figure. I don't sense he has the capacity to bring people together. However he would be OK as a committee member who is willing to give his opinion forcefully :tooth:

I saw a replay of the event last night and honestly, those that talk the loudest and longest are not necessarily the right people. This was a media event and it favours those people who are comfortable in front a camera or microphone or in the media generally. People who don't have that background could come across as being awkward but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good board member.

Why and how? 

Also with the last part. The way the FFA board is now going to be elected you are going to have to put your face out there and advocate. Its moving away from a typical business board where no one really knows or cares until something goes wrong and a decision made by a small range of people, to one where there is a very broad and diverse range of stake holders that need to be convinced. 

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

I suspect Fozz could be a divisive figure. I don't sense he has the capacity to bring people together.

He has a blunt, jack hammer approach and exudes a know all style. As a chairman I reckon he'd get into more strife than the early settlers. As a chairman you need a calm, inclusive temperament that gets the most out of people who have quite different backgrounds. My opinion that's all.

I think you'll find there's a lot of people that don't like Fozzie and as @HEARTinator mentions, he's a bit of a know it all. He might have the vision, but like most in the soccer media, doesn't understand that there is significant financial barriers blocking many of the investment and growth opportunities in the game. 

30 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think you'll find there's a lot of people that don't like Fozzie and as @HEARTinator mentions, he's a bit of a know it all. He might have the vision, but like most in the soccer media, doesn't understand that there is significant financial barriers blocking many of the investment and growth opportunities in the game. 

Without being too glib about it, Foster would probably end up being as bad as the current administration as he definitely puts everyone in the "Best Friend" or "Worst Enemy" camp.

• Like 5

I don't know enough about any of the possible candidates. But I'm pretty sure we need a "healer" in the position, to heal the wounds of the divisive regime of Lowy, someone who can bring all the stakeholders together. I always feel people such as Lowy, Gallop and O'Rourke get too close to micro-management, and IMO FFA should not be that close to every day issues but have much more of a "strategic direction" role.

Also I don't want to see some of the louder voices drown out the others. Sure, an independent A-League is the way to go, but I don't want to see it dominated by, for example, CFG. Otherwise we'll just go from the frying pan into the fire.

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't know enough about any of the possible candidates. But I'm pretty sure we need a "healer" in the position, to heal the wounds of the divisive regime of Lowy, someone who can bring all the stakeholders together. I always feel people such as Lowy, Gallop and O'Rourke get too close to micro-management, and IMO FFA should not be that close to every day issues but have much more of a "strategic direction" role.

Also I don't want to see some of the louder voices drown out the others. Sure, an independent A-League is the way to go, but I don't want to see it dominated by, for example, CFG. Otherwise we'll just go from the frying pan into the fire.

Wasnt Gallop considered a 'healer'? His history shows he can stablise, but not progress. Which was obvious in the last few seasons

Funny thing is that GWS couldn’t bring themselves to saying that Carrozzi was pursuing a seat on the soccer board of FFA

http://m.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2018-11-19/carrozzi-resigns-from-board

“GIANTS Deputy Chairman Joseph Carrozzi has resigned from the club's Board of Directors to pursue new opportunities.”

• 1 month later...

At the moment we cant call the A-League a success...

I think the FFA made the right move with creating the League, and its rules like the limit of International Players, the Salary Cap and Marquees but now we need move into the World Market because the League is what North Korea is the rest of world in its insular nature limiting its progress. The Soccer Market is Global its not like sports like the AFL and NFL as so we cant persist working with the sports version of Controlled Economics as its only to our league and NT's determent.

The 2006 Socceroos side was born from the NSL. In order for a young footballer to earn a professional wage in those days players they had to work hard and play against veterans and show they were one of the top players in the country and worthy of being paid one of highest wages. Then from there if they were good enough the could try play in European and not just earn a wage to be a professional but actually a good professional wage.

The limit on International Players now means an Australian Player now just needs to be good enough to get spot in the around 220 (I dont have the exact number) guaranteed for Australian players to be a full time professional footballer. There is none of the fighting up the ranks to make it to be a professional and this shown by the constant stream of players who move from club to club as list fillers. Its no wonder that the Australian National Side is no longer anywhere near as good.

If the league allowed for sides to have half their lists being International Players the standard would automatically rise with Australians having to work far harder to make it as professionals. A ton of half decent South Americans would be more than happy to play in Australia where they be guaranteed a wage. Likewise a lot of players from the Europe (Esp the UK) would come for the Australian Lifestyle. 

This would eliminate the "two year contract journeymen" who move from club to club, Australian players would have a better league to develop their skills also players would be offered longer contracts. Alongside this supporters would see a better product and clubs would be more inclined to offer longer contracts to players meaning fans could become more attached to them.

If you compare the careers of Babalj to Nabbout you can see my point, Babalj had an immense amount of talent was given everything early including a spot on an A-League Squad as a 17 year old and was signed to be a starting striker by Red Star. Nabbout had to work his arse off and play for Heidelberg and then even leave them (due to be put on the bench for MHFC reject Kamal as the club tried to avoid eventual relegation) for the already relegated Moreland Zebras as a 20 year old before MV gave him a NYL squad spot.

One is playing in India and the other is a Socceroo.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

According to the Victory chairman, FFA are negotiating the independent model this week, which shapes to be the biggest decision made for this league in a long time. 

I think the PL model would work well. It’s simple and democratic. All options are on the table though.

If they get this right, the league will be positioned nicely to grow its revenues and hopefully bring better footballers down here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

According to the Victory chairman, FFA are negotiating the independent model this week, which shapes to be the biggest decision made for this league in a long time. 

I think the PL model would work well. It’s simple and democratic. All options are on the table though.

If they get this right, the league will be positioned nicely to grow its revenues and hopefully bring better footballers down here. 

Big moment and decisions for the league and its constituent clubs. The discussions and decisions will have to include what will happen for Phoenix and the less wealthy clubs. Exciting times.

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I have my doubts this is as black aand white as people are making it out to be. I'd say they've (Security) still fucked up by not employing some common sense, but imo the dad won't be as innocent as its being made out. MIght have been a poor reaction to the security telling him to go to the other end.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

• jw1739 changed the title to The APL/FA Management Thread
  • jw1739 pinned this topic