Melbourne Football

The APL/FA Management Thread

thisphantomfortress

13 hours ago, belaguttman said:

That's the job of consultants: work to get as much money from your organisation without taking responsibility for the outcomes

I think most people will be unable to comprehend how so much could be wasted on so little, so they will get away with it. Garcia sacks 50+ people and then jets off to watch the tennis - we probably paid for that as well.
It's no different with the Big Four audit scandals and government. Incomprehensible. The human brain can't cope so shuts off. 
You'll know the technical term for it @belaguttman.

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And you can see why APL is broke. Questions for the City FRG are being received and processed by this mob https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asana,_Inc. or its Australian subsidiary.

How much is being paid for that? Why not just receive questions and comments direct?

Just money being wasted in every possible direction.

Everything outsourced, nobody takes responsibility

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

ou'll know the technical term for it @belaguttman.

corruption

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

And you can see why APL is broke. Questions for the City FRG are being received and processed by this mob https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asana,_Inc. or its Australian subsidiary.

How much is being paid for that? Why not just receive questions and comments direct?

Just money being wasted in every possible direction.

Asana isn't expensive, it's just software no different to something like Google Forms, Survey Monkey, etc. 

17 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

And now, they had player data stolen as well as members info stolen not because a malicious user used some cunning way to break into their system but because they left clear text passwords on their web page. :facepalm:

Crikey. They are making the A League look like a professional outfit 

26 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

And now, they had player data stolen as well as members info stolen not because a malicious user used some cunning way to break into their system but because they left clear text passwords on their web page. :facepalm:

That's Football Australia rather than APL. What defines a "member" of FA?

22 minutes ago, D.B. Cooper said:

So not the Melbourne Rebels? 
(confused myself there)

No - definitely us.

59 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's Football Australia rather than APL. What defines a "member" of FA?

The way I read it that if you have ever registered with a local football club or just to check in on the socceroos, you are a member.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

No - definitely us.

The way I read it that if you have ever registered with a local football club or just to check in on the socceroos, you are a member.

That figures. That's like Medibank. I think when I relocated to Melbourne I enquired about changing my health insurer, but didn't change to Medibank after all. But I was caught up in the data breach. It's ridiculous. None of this information should be being kept. I recently received a letter from a well-known charity, addressed to my late wife at our previous home. It upset me, four year after she passed away. I called them and asked what the hell were they doing - they admitted to purchasing the database from a third party - and then told me it was my job to contact the database owner and have my late wife's name removed.

I won't write what my response was.

• Like 1

New club website. https://melbournecityfc.com.au/

A great improvement IMO. At least the home page looks as though it belongs to a football club.

Great to see City in the Community back.

However, the Membership link is hidden behind the three horizontal lines in the top left-hand corner of the page. Not so sure this is a good thing. Took me a while to find it.

Edited by jw1739

One thing I haven't found so far is the Fan Representative Group page. Can anyone find reference to FRGs?

Not so long ago there was a call to submit questions to the City FRG, and I did so. A bit tongue in cheek (it was about the membership thereof), but I did so. Apart from the automatic acknowledgment, no further feedback. Surely any question deserves the courtesy of an answer? Did the City FRG raise anything at the A-Leagues FRG meeting - if it was ever held? If so, what was discussed, what were the outcomes, and what are the actions to be taken, and when are they to be taken by?

My view is that if APL wants fans to be engaged and come to the stadium on matchday then it better start engaging them. And likewise the clubs. Osmosis is a pretty slow process at the best of times. Unless you engage the fans then rearranging the deckchairs on the upper deck will have no effect.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

‘We’re a football business, not a media business’: A-Leagues bosses explain job cuts

Emma Kemp
By Emma Kemp
February 5, 2024 — 7.49pm

Listen to this article
4 min

A-Leagues bosses have broken their silence on last month’s mass staff redundancies, taking responsibility for the lack of public communication and pledging to get back to basics by serving “core A-Leagues fans” while slowly building a financially sustainable organisation.

Three weeks after the Australian Professional Leagues made almost half of its 80-odd workforce redundant, new A-Leagues commissioner Nick Garcia and independent chair Stephen Conroy have outlined the latest vision for the future of the country’s top-flight domestic soccer competitions.

Arsenal blow Premier League title race wide open

Arsenal blow Premier League title race wide open

Aussie sport climber bound for Paris

Arsenal's 3-1 win over Liverpool has blown the Premier League's title race wide open, as wild celebrations ensued.

“The overarching point here is we’re a football business, not a media business,” Garcia told this masthead on Monday. “We exist to create a great competition that our clubs thrive in and fans love to watch. The first thing about the A-Leagues strategy is it leads with a football strategy, and that is about being really clear about the sort of league you are.

“In the men’s we’re a development league, first and foremost. In the women’s league we are potentially a destination league in Asia, but much more focused on retaining the great national team players rather than attracting international players. But over everything, we’re about developing stars of the future.

”That’s possible because seven years ago all the clubs implemented academy systems, and we’re seeing the crop of that come through right now. So Garang Kuol going to Newcastle United, [Nestory] Irankunda is going to Bayern Munich, and I think we’ve got some other exciting transfers coming up.“

Garcia believes the APL’s digital and content arm KeepUp, which featured content ranging from the domestic leagues to the European leagues and national teams, “did work, to a degree”. “I don’t think it was whether it worked,” he said. “I think, just at this time, it’s not commercially sustainable.”

A-Leagues commissioner Nick Garcia (right) with Bill Foley, the owner of the incoming Auckland franchise.

A-Leagues commissioner Nick Garcia (right) with Bill Foley, the owner of the incoming Auckland franchise.Credit: Getty

Instead, the recently launched aleagues.com.au will focus on “talking to core A-Leagues fans, engaging them more and bringing them to our ecosystem”.

“That new digital strategy will be about converting people,” he said. “KeepUp was always about circling the global football economy, and it did that to a degree. But now we’ve got these fans who want to be talked to through an A-Leagues product, and we have engaged them throughout what we’re doing.”

Garcia said a 33 per cent increase in the average number of pages users clicked on during a single site session on aleagues.com.au proved fans were already responding.

Garcia conceded he “probably should have engaged the media sooner” after closing down KeepUp, which sat at the core of its strategy under previous chief executive Danny Townsend.

Stephen Conroy (right) in 2009 during his days as a minister in the Rudd government.

Stephen Conroy (right) in 2009 during his days as a minister in the Rudd government.Credit: Glen McCurtayne

But both he and Conroy were bullish about the financial feasibility of the organisation, having “realigned parts of our business” to stem the bleeding after the $140 million cash injection provided by US private equity firm Silver Lake was almost entirely spent on KeepUp, the upheaval associated with COVID-19, loans to clubs, taking over Perth Glory (not to mention the Newcastle Jets, now owned by a group of individual club owners) and underwriting distributions to struggling clubs.

They were equally adamant the $200 million, five-year broadcast deal with Network Ten and Paramount would not be abandoned until its expiration at the end of 2025-26, insisting the network was serving the leagues well despite criticism around its lack of promotion.

Conroy said the APL had put off making positive announcements around flagged new Glory and Jets ownership, and the addition of a Canberra team to join the already-announced Auckland team in an expanded 14-team league next season, in favour of first trying to “deal with some of the more negative perceptions that have been out there”.

The former federal minister referenced the NBL as an example of successfully finding its niche in a crowded Australian sporting landscape.

“Part of what Nick talks about is what Larry [Kestelman] has been able to successfully do - create local superstars picked up in the NBA draft,” Conroy said. “And we’re starting to see that [with transfers overseas].

“I think we can learn from what Larry’s done at NBL - it was a basket case and he turned it around. Every football fan understands that we’re the global biggest sport, so they want to see it as the biggest sport in Australia. So we’ve just got to be patient.”