Melbourne Football

The APL/FA Management Thread

thisphantomfortress

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

it strikes me as strange that the more people get involved in grassroots football the more expensive it becomes

I know that this is a bit of an "In my day..." post, but I'd advance the hypothesis that football is over-administrated at the lower end of the scale, thus incurring unnecessary expenditure on (and by the families of) youngsters who for the most part won't ever go on to play for a club. 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I know that this is a bit of an "In my day..." post, but I'd advance the hypothesis that football is over-administrated at the lower end of the scale, thus incurring unnecessary expenditure on (and by the families of) youngsters who for the most part won't ever go on to play for a club. 

Its more juniors are funding senior teams. Any 12 to 15 year old kid with any talent needs to go to decent teams with decent coaches and decent level. Most (not all) are NPL 1 or NPL 2 level clubs.

Because of limited income streams NPL clubs with the approval and sanctioning of the administratiors basically see the juniors as a way to fund their operations. For 14 year olds plus kids it costs in excess of 2k just to play.  

Absolute disgrace. 

• Like 1

On 03/05/2017 at 4:44 PM, Jovan said:

Its more juniors are funding senior teams. Any 12 to 15 year old kid with any talent needs to go to decent teams with decent coaches and decent level. Most (not all) are NPL 1 or NPL 2 level clubs.

Because of limited income streams NPL clubs with the approval and sanctioning of the administratiors basically see the juniors as a way to fund their operations. For 14 year olds plus kids it costs in excess of 2k just to play.  

Absolute disgrace. 

Out of interest, how much money goes to the football federations etc and how much to the club? 

TBH I don't see an issue if it's mainly driven by the clubs, the issue would be if high fees were driven by the governing bodies as it's a bit contradictory to what they're supposed to be doing in regards to growing the game and developing players. 

26 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Out of interest, how much money goes to the football federations etc and how much to the club? 

TBH I don't see an issue if it's mainly driven by the clubs, the issue would be if high fees were driven by the governing bodies as it's a bit contradictory to what they're supposed to be doing in regards to growing the game and developing players. 

Junior soccer fees ranging up to $2000 in Melbourne’s west

Damien Ractliffe, Wyndham Leader
January 20, 2016 2:05pm

PARENTS in Melbourne’s west are forking out up to $2000 a year for their child to play soccer.

But media commentator and Point Cook father Warren Diego says parents should ask more questions before deciding where to send their child.

National Premier League clubs can charge juniors up to $2000 a year under Football Federation Victoria guidelines to help subsidise the annual $40,000 licence fee the body charges to compete in the state’s top flight.

But other clubs, such as Williamstown’s Barnstoneworth United, charge just $230 a year for children aged 12-18 to play the world game.

State League 4 outfit Point Cook — where Diego’s daughter plays in the under-11s — billed parents $350 for 7-11 year olds and $400 for 12-18 year olds in 2015.

Diego, a commentator with the Four Diegos — a soccer radio show on SEN — said the sport had become too expensive for parents.

“The issue with soccer (clubs) is they’re pricing themselves out of greater participation,” he said.

“My daughter can play two seasons of netball, 12 months of the year, for $160 a season — that’s including kit and we don’t have to pay affiliation fees.

“A whole summer of little athletics, 16 or 17 weeks, costs probably $180 to $200.”

Aussie Rules clubs such as Williamstown Juniors ($210) and Werribee Districts ($250), and cricket clubs like Altona ($160) and Keilor ($220) also provide more affordable options.

But soccer club fees such as Point Cook’s are just the tip of the iceberg.

NPL1 club St Albans — which fields more than 100 players aged 12-18 — demands $1000 per player to help cover its annual licence fee of $40,000, while the Melbourne Knights’ program — regarded as elite — commands a maximum of $1300.

“(The difference in price compared to other clubs) comes in the quality of coaching we have at our club,” Knights technical director Robert Krajacic said.

“We could easily charge the maximum $2,000 if we wanted, but we make sure all costs are covered. We feel the cost we charge is reasonable.”

<>

Junior fees are more affordable at State League level, but still compare unfavourably to other sports.

State League clubs Yarraville Glory and Altona City ask for $550 a year — a portion of which goes back to FFV.

State League clubs are billed $320 for the first junior team in each age group and $160 for subsequent teams as well as an $86 registration fee per player.

Barnstoneworth United — one of the most affordable clubs in the western suburbs — pays more than $16,000 in player registration and team entry fees for its under-12 to under-18 sides, but collects over $35,000 by charging $230 per player.

Other State League clubs — charged the same rates by FFV — are receiving more than double that in return from their players.

“Our players also get their playing shirt and if FFV gives out a backpack or football we give them out,” Barnstoneworth United secretary Helen Sinnott said.

“The reason our fees are low is all our staff (coaches) are volunteers. But we also have to pay our ground lease and maintenance.”

Altona East Phoenix president Jim Dimitriou said the $450 fee his club charged helped pay for coaching accreditation.

“It includes registration, coaching, the training kit — including shorts, socks, top — also a full tracksuit, a backpack and a soccer ball,” Dimitriou said.

“The difference in coaching can be a little bit — some clubs like Barnstoneworth, a lot of their coaches are just parents, they have a basic junior licence. All our coaches are accredited.”

In a statement, the FFV said all NPL Clubs were required to provide a breakdown of where fees are spent to ensure the money is being directed into the junior program.

“A number of factors can affect the player cost at a club including qualifications of the coaches, quality of the apparel, number of playing strips and accessories like tracksuits and bags, and also medical support staff,” the statement read.

“NPL is an advanced level of training and competition — it is important when comparing the cost to other sports that it is a fair comparison. For example the cost of training in a tennis academy receiving similarly advanced levels of coaching and support.”

Diego said parents should do their due diligence before picking a club for their child.

“I’m aware of clubs such as South Melbourne charging up to $1800. Theirs is regarded as an elite program, so I’d expect quality coaches,” he said.

“I think the best thing (for parents) to do is know what you’re getting for your money — asking more questions.

“Support your local club, play locally. Most of the time, kids get into soccer because of their friends — look for the best program, a well-run and administered club, and the best value for money.”

This is pretty accurate from what I know. The recent introduction of the NPL a few years back forced the clubs to come up with an extra 40k per year just to compete. Now they dress it up with better coaching etc but before the NPL is wasn't as costly and the junior coaching was pretty much the same level.

Edited by Jovan

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/act-sport/canberra-and-wollongong-rule-out-aleague-super-bid-through-joint-venture-20170504-gvytt3.html

We need some more teams in the A-League to make the season longer and more interesting. Hopefully they get through. It would be good to also see Tasmania and South Melbourne or Knights in there as well. I dont know how many people in Canberra would go and watch there team play as canberra isnt really that big compared to the other cities.

31 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/act-sport/canberra-and-wollongong-rule-out-aleague-super-bid-through-joint-venture-20170504-gvytt3.html

We need some more teams in the A-League to make the season longer and more interesting. Hopefully they get through. It would be good to also see Tasmania and South Melbourne or Knights in there as well. I dont know how many people in Canberra would go and watch there team play as canberra isnt really that big compared to the other cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Australia_by_population

It's also not just a matter of population, it's also the demographics.

This discussion just goes round and round in circles. Most of these so-called bids have got bugger all chance of getting up.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Aleague clubs demanding an audit of FFA, frank Lowe being investigated on accusation of corruption, FFA in the boiling pot with FIFA. All brewing for a perfect storm. 

Inb4 CFG become the overlords of the whole league and every team has "City" in their name and also wear City Blue.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

Aleague clubs demanding an audit of FFA, frank Lowe being investigated on accusation of corruption, FFA in the boiling pot with FIFA. All brewing for a perfect storm. 

Yep, quite rightly this is hotting up. http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-clubs-demand-forensic-audit-of-ffa-books-as-revenue-row-escalates-20170629-gx1ijh.html

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Add on top of that the FFV and other federations pushing for a second tier league. 

I don't support a second-tier league at this stage because IMO FFA is not yet managing the A-League properly. It beggars belief how FFA  consistently fails to meet its targets - in this case a new or alternative financial model for A-League clubs, the criteria for expansion, a timetable for expansion etc.

And how in this day and age we can have the Chairman inheriting the job from his father...just stinks to high heaven IMO. In Zimbabwe perhaps, but not in Australia.

Edit: Worth a read: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-30/richard-hinds-difference-in-funding-for-men-women-world-cup/8663794

Edited by jw1739
Added link to article

Shits going down!

FIFA’s ultimatum to FFA: Fix your problems or we will

Matt Windley, Herald Sun
July 6, 2017 11:37am

FIFA has threatened to overthrow the Steven Lowy-chaired Football Federation Australia board if the infighting afflicting soccer is not resolved by November.

FFA is currently involved in a bitter dispute with the A-League clubs, state federations and the players association (PFA) in regards to the make-up of the congress which elects the FFA board.

In a dramatic turn of events, it was announced tonight that a joint FIFA and Asian Football Confederation delegation will come to Australia later this month to help break the deadlock that exists between the warring parties.

BOON FOR MELBOURNE: CITY GETS SOCCEROOS QUALIFIER

30dd6f919486daba1e0e5fb4b21f0e4c?width=650
FIFA has threatened to intervene if the Steven Lowy-led FFA can’t get its act together before a November 30 deadline.

And in a statement issued by FFA, Lowy confirmed that FIFA has recommended a “normalisation committee” be implemented in place of the existing board if the standoff is not resolved by November.

The FIFA-led committee would take over the running of the game here until new board elections are organised.

“We look forward to working with FIFA and AFC representatives over the coming weeks,” Lowy said.

“FFA wants to see an expanded congress for Australia that reflects the way the game is evolving in this country, but also protects and promotes the interests of the whole of the game.

“Our congress members have differing views on how that should happen so we will continue to work with all parties to find a solution by the end of November.”

The 10-vote congress that elects the FFA board is the smallest of any nation in the world.

It currently consists of the nine state federations and one representative acting as the voice of the A-League clubs.

b8f7952b91ec7d0e333a37af7ed85aa2?width=650Lowy, right, pictured with Minister for Sport Greg Hunt, FFA CEO David Gallop and Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull at the launch of Australia’s bid for the 2023 women’s World Cup. Picture: Getty Images

State bodies in Victoria and NSW had been sided with the A-League clubs and the PFA.

But after Victoria broke ranks last week FFA was able to propose to FIFA its preferred new 9-3-1 model — which means the current congress would have had added to it two more votes for A-League clubs and one for the PFA.

However, that model was flatly rejected by FIFA because it “does not reflect an appropriate representation of all stakeholders” in the game.

An FFA statement last night said: “... the Members Association Committee had advised that it would recommend the establishment of a so-called ‘normalisation committee’ to intervene directly if an acceptable expansion of the congress was not in place by November 30.”

The FIFA committee enforced such a measure in Argentina and Guinea last year.

Wonder how much power CFG will get as a result in the future

5 hours ago, Baka1 said:

How long before RBB is closed down like NT and the rest of the active areas follow suit? Bring on the silent protests! :ph34r:

I'm on the only one who thinks it's about bloody time those WSW thugs and criminals were told they weren't wanted at the football? Not sure what the problem is 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Clubs sueing FFA to reveal their books? 

In my view for all FFAs flaws, this is terrible for the game. The clubs do not have Australian football at heart (who do you think killed the proposed expansion of the A League). Challenging times ahead.

Also am I the only one who finds it ironic that the most corrupt sporting body in the world, FIFA, is preaching to the FFA about being undemocratic? Shouldn't they get their own house in order first?

I would like to see reform at FFA but I'm wary what might happen if short sighted and/or foreign owners effectively takeover the game in this country.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Clubs sueing FFA to reveal their books? 

In my view for all FFAs flaws, this is terrible for the game. The clubs do not have Australian football at heart (who do you think killed the proposed expansion of the A League). Challenging times ahead.

Also am I the only one who finds it ironic that the most corrupt sporting body in the world, FIFA, is preaching to the FFA about being undemocratic? Shouldn't they get their own house in order first?

I would like to see reform at FFA but I'm wary what might happen if short sighted and/or foreign owners effectively takeover the game in this country.

This is descending into a farce. http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/07/26/ffa-halt-league-talks-over-legal-threats-0?cx_navSource=related-side-cx#cxrecs_s

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Honestly I feel like this battle between the Lowy camp and the club owners is a fight between two evil dictators.

its probably all going to end in tears and IMO its going to need to. I don't really care, just as long as the aleague doesn't miss a season

29 minutes ago, Dylan said:

its probably all going to end in tears and IMO its going to need to. I don't really care, just as long as the aleague doesn't miss a season

I agree, it probably is.

This reminds me so much of company/union confrontations that I used to be involved with. A lot of posturing on both sides, chest beating and plenty of noise, but in reality agreement on much of what needed to be done. Lowy is adopting a fairly defensive position, as we might expect. Hopefully both sides are going to come to the table willing to compromise, and agree on a program of change with a defined timetable and concrete milestones to be reached in that timetable - one big issue I see at the moment is that all the FFA documents I've read are extremely wishy-washy and vague in terms of such milestones.

IMO an "independent" league is probably inadvisable at this stage, but I do think we should "free up" the league in terms of caps, transfer fees, etc. as often suggested on here.

For the good of the game, Steven Lowy, just go.

COMMENT: Football Federation Australia have lost the plot, the dressing room and any semblance of goodwill they once shared with a frustrated football fraternity.

By Philip Micallef

11 AUG 2017 - 12:58 PM  UPDATED 13 MINS AGO

The board should do the right thing and step down.

Chairman Steven Lowy has done himself no favours with his antagonistic, arrogant and provocative approach towards the job he controversially inherited form his father, Frank, two years ago.

The governing body completed its latest public relations disaster with the abysmal handling of the row with the stakeholders over the size of its congress.

FIFA leaves Australia without completing deal

The future of Australian football now rests in the hands of FIFA after accusations FFA chairman Steven Lowy twice derailed political consensus over an extraordinary 24 hours.

As if the arrival of FIFA and AFC officials to supervise meetings designed to sort out the colossal mess was not embarrassing enough - now the foreign representatives have departed our shores with the distinct feeling that our football body is a complete basket case.

Regardless of who is right or wrong in one of the most bitter and damaging rows that have hit our game in decades, the FFA as football guardians in this country must shoulder most of the blame for the impasse that will have massive repercussions.

The FFA in one fell swoop have managed to achieve what others have failed to do for years: unite the game's stakeholders.

The only difference is that this time the football family is united in its dislike and mistrust of the governing body.

The football fraternity also has lost its faith in the modus operandi of its patronising administration that has been accused of treating its stakeholders as school children.

And when club chairmen openly call for the FFA board to resign and describe the FFA leadership as toxic, you know that the time has come for the game to change direction.

A-League club boss calls for 'toxic' Lowy to go

A-League club chiefs have vented their fury at Football Federation Australia chairman Steven Lowy, with one indignant owner describing his continued presence at the helm of Australian football as 'toxic'.

Even if a compromise - though highly unlikely at this stage - is reached by November, it is hard to imagine the game's stakeholders working together for the good of the game after what transpired in the last two weeks.

The damage caused by the recent shenanigans will have a lasting effect on our sport if the FFA are allowed to keep running it in their highly controversial style.

The FFA won't change and this is why they have to go. It's as simple as that.

Australian football has made great strides forward at many levels and to be fair we probably would not have a game to argue and bicker about were it not for the intervention of Frank Lowy more than a decade ago.

It all started so positively: Australia got out of the hole called Oceania to join Asia, the professional A-League was formed and the Socceroos qualified for the first of three straight FIFA World Cups with the healthy prospect of a fourth.

Things are different now, much different.

Hope that our game had finally cracked it in such a 'hostile' country as Australia has been replaced by frustration and a feeling of deja vu.

Our faith in an administration that was obtaining positive results has made way for mistrust.

And our belief that we had reached a stage where we were working towards a common goal has transformed itself in indignation among the fans who as always are the ones to suffer most from this impasse.

And there is no point reiterating who is to blame for this abysmal state of affairs.

Lowy and his cohorts had an obligation and should have had the foresight to make sure the row never got to this stage but they failed miserably.

In 1987, as Sydney City president, Frank Lowy in a fit of pique famously 'picked the ball up and went home' and withdrew his battling club from the National Soccer League. He was later accused of disrespect towards the game.

Steven Lowy should do the same and quit the game ... and take his board with him.

Nobody would accuse him of disrespect.

Edited by Jovan

FIFA intervention looms as FFA peace talks stall in Sydney

The future of Australian football's governance could be decided by FIFA after peace talks broke down amid allegations that Football Federation Australia chairman Steven Lowy had twice intervened to derail the consensus.

After two days of extensive talks involving FIFA and the Asian Football Confederation to help end the impasse over the expansion of the FFA congress, the stakeholders were twice close to reaching a consensus that satisfied FIFA's requirements only for hopes of an agreement to be dashed.

The crucial talks were overseen by the joint delegation that was sent from Zurich, but Australian football showed no signs of being able to achieve the seemingly simple task of agreeing upon a more democratic, inclusive and representative approach to FFA membership. 

It means the joint delegation will report back to FIFA's headquarters without any confidence Australian football can reach consensus as to how it should govern itself, leaving the FFA board facing the likelihood of being replaced by temporary FIFA administrators. 

In what were meant to be talks to finally broker a peace deal under the watchful eye of world football's governing body, the stakeholders failed dismally. The delegation was FIFA's final attempt to help the FFA expand its membership from 10 seats (nine for the state federations and one for the A-League clubs) by November 30. The FFA had already been warned that failure to do so would lead to FIFA  establishing a "normalising committee" and removing the FFA's board to transition governance on terms it deemed acceptable. 

Twice the parties looked to have struck a deal that would have avoided taking Australian football down that uncertain and shameful road, only for a number of state federations to withdraw. Sources involved in the discussions have suggested those states withdrew their support for the agreed 9:5:1 model that would give the states nine votes, the A-League clubs five and the players' union one.

The first agreement was all but reached late on Wednesday night at a private meeting between the clubs, the PFA and the state federations at a hotel near Hyde Park. Sources allege that after hearing news of the deal Lowy called the state chairmen into his Westfield office, where a heated exchange is said to have taken place. The next morning, the deal between the clubs and the states was off. 

Talks between all parties resumed at 10am on Thursday morning. The clubs, states and players held private discussions again during the lunch break and returned to FFA's headquarters in unison having again reached consensus, agreeing on specific terms surrounding the 9:5:1 model. 

Upon their return, Lowy is understood to have requested another private meeting with the state federations, sidelining FIFA, the clubs and the PFA out of the room. Two of the biggest state member federations - Football NSW and Football Federation Victoria - were already offside with Lowy and his relationship with the clubs was at rock bottom. But now it seems he could run the risk of souring the relationship with FIFA, after the delegates were sidelined from the meetings they had travelled halfway around the world to attend. Sources suggest the delegates were in "disbelief".

More than two hours later, the doors were opened and the clubs, the PFA and FIFA were allowed back into the room, where it was announced the deal was once again off. Enough state member federations had again wavered on an agreement that would have satisfied FIFA's requirement for a new congress and allowed Australian football to move forward. 

"We are bitterly disappointed at not having reached consensus with our fellow stakeholders. We are equally disappointed at the obstruction of the process by the FFA board," said Greg Griffin, the chairman of Adelaide United and the Australia Professional Football Clubs Association. 

Sources involved in the meetings were furious at Thursday's events, cast an uncertain future over Australian football's governance, with one member describing the situation as "an embarrassment".

An FFA spokesman declined to comment on the private meetings involving Lowy and the state federations. 

In a statement, Lowy said: "FFA and the FIFA/AFC delegation have agreed not to make public comment on the details of these proposals while discussions continue.  FFA is hopeful that an agreement can be reached to enable the necessary procedural changes to achieve an expanded Congress by the end of November."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/fifa-intervention-looms-as-ffa-peace-talks-stall-in-sydney-20170810-gxtshk.html

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

FIFA intervention looms as FFA peace talks stall in Sydney

The future of Australian football's governance could be decided by FIFA after peace talks broke down amid allegations that Football Federation Australia chairman Steven Lowy had twice intervened to derail the consensus.

After two days of extensive talks involving FIFA and the Asian Football Confederation to help end the impasse over the expansion of the FFA congress, the stakeholders were twice close to reaching a consensus that satisfied FIFA's requirements only for hopes of an agreement to be dashed.

The crucial talks were overseen by the joint delegation that was sent from Zurich, but Australian football showed no signs of being able to achieve the seemingly simple task of agreeing upon a more democratic, inclusive and representative approach to FFA membership. 

It means the joint delegation will report back to FIFA's headquarters without any confidence Australian football can reach consensus as to how it should govern itself, leaving the FFA board facing the likelihood of being replaced by temporary FIFA administrators. 

In what were meant to be talks to finally broker a peace deal under the watchful eye of world football's governing body, the stakeholders failed dismally. The delegation was FIFA's final attempt to help the FFA expand its membership from 10 seats (nine for the state federations and one for the A-League clubs) by November 30. The FFA had already been warned that failure to do so would lead to FIFA  establishing a "normalising committee" and removing the FFA's board to transition governance on terms it deemed acceptable. 

Twice the parties looked to have struck a deal that would have avoided taking Australian football down that uncertain and shameful road, only for a number of state federations to withdraw. Sources involved in the discussions have suggested those states withdrew their support for the agreed 9:5:1 model that would give the states nine votes, the A-League clubs five and the players' union one.

The first agreement was all but reached late on Wednesday night at a private meeting between the clubs, the PFA and the state federations at a hotel near Hyde Park. Sources allege that after hearing news of the deal Lowy called the state chairmen into his Westfield office, where a heated exchange is said to have taken place. The next morning, the deal between the clubs and the states was off. 

Talks between all parties resumed at 10am on Thursday morning. The clubs, states and players held private discussions again during the lunch break and returned to FFA's headquarters in unison having again reached consensus, agreeing on specific terms surrounding the 9:5:1 model. 

Upon their return, Lowy is understood to have requested another private meeting with the state federations, sidelining FIFA, the clubs and the PFA out of the room. Two of the biggest state member federations - Football NSW and Football Federation Victoria - were already offside with Lowy and his relationship with the clubs was at rock bottom. But now it seems he could run the risk of souring the relationship with FIFA, after the delegates were sidelined from the meetings they had travelled halfway around the world to attend. Sources suggest the delegates were in "disbelief".

More than two hours later, the doors were opened and the clubs, the PFA and FIFA were allowed back into the room, where it was announced the deal was once again off. Enough state member federations had again wavered on an agreement that would have satisfied FIFA's requirement for a new congress and allowed Australian football to move forward. 

"We are bitterly disappointed at not having reached consensus with our fellow stakeholders. We are equally disappointed at the obstruction of the process by the FFA board," said Greg Griffin, the chairman of Adelaide United and the Australia Professional Football Clubs Association. 

Sources involved in the meetings were furious at Thursday's events, cast an uncertain future over Australian football's governance, with one member describing the situation as "an embarrassment".

An FFA spokesman declined to comment on the private meetings involving Lowy and the state federations. 

In a statement, Lowy said: "FFA and the FIFA/AFC delegation have agreed not to make public comment on the details of these proposals while discussions continue.  FFA is hopeful that an agreement can be reached to enable the necessary procedural changes to achieve an expanded Congress by the end of November."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/fifa-intervention-looms-as-ffa-peace-talks-stall-in-sydney-20170810-gxtshk.html

Burn Burn Burn Burn Burn its soon going to explode

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Australian football owes a great debt to Frank Lowy.

I'm not sure that debt is best paid by making his son the boss though. It's a challenging time to head the FFA. Skills are needed to grow the fragile game, whilst meeting the needs of the long suffering owners. 

Why does football owe him a great debt? Football is much bigger than any one man, especially one that created a model that is failing right now. 

7 hours ago, n i k o said:

Why does football owe him a great debt? Football is much bigger than any one man, especially one that created a model that is failing right now. 

Really? Come on.

the various people running the game here before frank had run it in to the ground and it was at a pro level at deaths door. I know you are old enough and game aware enough to know that.

Frank led the recovery, including ending "the glory days of Oceania" & getting us into the World Cup again (he hired Hiddink). He's still pouring his company's money into the game too.

the game might be bigger than 1 person, but everyone else in authority before he came along seemed hell bent on a self serving agenda..

itseasy to criticise someone in authority but when you look at what he achieved you have to applaud 

• Like 2

Interesting, from Bonita Mersiades. Get this woman running FFA

Time for the faceless men to be held to account

State federation presidents and a mobile phone could result in a FIFA intervention in Australian football

11 August 2017 |  Bonita Mersiades

No-one thought anything when the protagonists in various meetings on Thursday took out their mobile phone of choice – Blackberry for Steve Lowy, iPhone for most, an occasional Samsung Galaxy – and looked at it.

Was it rude? Well you’d certainly think so if you were a parent at a dinner table and your offspring pulled one out and started poking the screen mid-bite of the lamb cutlets. But let's face it. It’s not considered to be rude in today’s office etiquette. People talk, write, sip green tea and look at their phone all at the same time.  

In the midst of FFA Congress talks with FIFA and the AFC in town, what were they searching for? The latest price on the stock exchange? The temperature on an unseasonably mild and sunny Sydney winter’s day? Whether the flight back home was delayed? The latest transfer rumours? Who was saying what on social media?

Getting close.

What they were doing was busily texting others amongst the gathered groups with the latest insights into what was going on. A sort of corporate espionage.

That’s how Steve Lowy knew he needed to intervene on Wednesday night after the state federations, the A-League clubs and the PFA came to a compromise agreement of 9-5-1. Someone let him know.

Reports suggest that he hastily commanded the state federations to Westfield HQ in Pitt Street and, according to multiple sources, “read them the riot act”.

It’s perplexing just what that could be.

When the A-League clubs and the PFA turned-up on Thursday morning, they were faced with some sheepish-looking state federation presidents who were no longer sticking to the deal from the day before.

'OMG. WTF?!'  the clubs and the PFA probably text messaged to themselves. But then they picked themselves up, dusted themselves off and started all over again.

More intense lobbying at lunchtime. People flitted from one room to the next – and not necessarily in search of the best prawn sandwich – as ‘lines in the sand’ were tossed-about, arguments heard, and counter-arguments made.

By the end of lunch, they were all in furious agreement. Again. 9-5-1 it is.

But wait, there's more.

When the groups returned to the meeting room after lunch, with FIFA and AFC believing an agreement was locked-in and they’d have a few spare hours before heading-off to the airport, Steve Lowy asked for everyone to leave the room. Except the state federations.

You see, it seems that someone was busily texting FFA during lunchtime.

Others have reported how everyone – FIFA, AFC, the A-League clubs, the PFA, the AAFC delegates who had met with them earlier in the day, and the waiting media – were astounded that Steve Lowy left them waiting for more than two hours. Actually, that bit really isn't surprising. 

What is intriguing is the power that Steve Lowy seems to have over the state federation presidents.

Did he make promises to them? Did he say they’d no longer get VIP invitations to FFA events? Did he threaten them with taking away their generous allocation of complimentary tickets to the World Cup? Does he have Vladimir Putin-type ‘tapes’ that would embarrass them? Or did he threaten to walk away from football altogether, like his dad did in 1987?

Who are these men who flip-flopped, not once, not twice, but five times from their original position to their final position? Who are they, that they can control football this way, but are unaccountable to the game’s fans and players? We took a look from publicly available information.

NSW – Anter Isaac

• An accountant with his own sports management consultancy for the past ten years, Isaac worked for both Soccer Australia and FFA in the finance department. He has been President of Football NSW since 2013, and is also on the Board of the Canterbury Bulldogs Rugby League team. Early 40s.

Northern NSW – Bill Walker

• An old-timer who was formerly on the Board of Soccer Australia when Tony Labbozzetta was President. He has twice been on the Board of Northern NSW Football and was instrumental in reinstating the current CEO, David Eland, after he was sacked by another board faction. His total time on the Northern NSW Board rivals the longevity of former FIFA executive committee members such as Issa Hayatou and Jack Warner: around 27 years, from 1985-2004 and from 2010 until now. Aged about 67.

Victoria – Kimon Taliadoros

• Co-founder of the PFA, former NSL player and Socceroo, sometime commentator. He has qualifications in finance and business, and is now the CEO of a software company that helps to reduce environmental impacts. He was elected President of the Victorian Federation in 2015. Late 40s.

Queensland – Greg Redington

• An accountant with his own practice, Redington has been FQ President since 2013 and has a long involvement in Townsville football. In his time as President, locals say that participation has fallen. FQ recently ran an NPL license process which has gone down like a lead balloon in many parts, and he is considered by most regional and rural clubs not to be committed to advancing football in highly regionalised Queensland. Mid 50s.

Western Australia – Liam Twigger

• CEO of an online mine-broker business and a corporate advisory firm servicing the resources sector. He spent two years as a teenager with Swindon Town before returning to Australia. He previously worked for Robert Holmes a Court, Alan Bond, Macquarie Bank and Banker’s Trust. Twigger has been Chairman of Football West since 2013. He has been lobbying FFA to have a Football West team in the A-League. Mid 50s.

South Australia – Sam Ciccarello

• A former CEO of Adelaide United for a little over three years until 2010, Ciccarello has extensive involvement in sports management and media including with the Sydney Olympics, the Australian Formula One and Austereo. He currently runs his own management consultancy. Mid 50s.

Tasmania – Sean Collins

• An Irishman who has lived in Australia for almost 40 years, Collins was a marine biologist by profession with experience as a teacher and in IT in public sector organisations in the forestry and fishery areas. He now has his own consulting business focussed on business analysis, strategy and public speaking training. He was elected President of Football Federation Tasmania in 2010, and served on the Board for two years before that. Early 60s.

ACT – Mark O’Neill

• O’Neill is a retired ACT government lawyer. He has a long involvement in football and futsal in Canberra, including as a player and coach. He has been on the record since at least 2015 promising an A-League team in Canberra. Early 60s.

NT – Stuart Kenny

• Kenny is the General Manager of a WA-based company that provides technical capacity for the defence, mining, oil and gas, marine, civil construction and earthmoving industries across northern Australia. He previously worked in agriculture and was CEO of the NT Cattleman’s Association. As well as being President of NT Football, Kenny is deputy president of the NT Chamber of Commerce and chairman of the NT Manufacturers’ Council. Early 50s.

On the face of it, the nine men don’t read like they’re pushovers – but previous state federation presidents and A-League chairmen have cowed in front of Steve’s dad in the past, so who knows?

Wondering who was texting? Multiple sources point to the man with nimble fingers allegedly being ACT federation president, Mark O’Neill, while the man happily keeping his Chairman and CEO updated with the latest 'goss' was allegedly long-time FFA employee, Mark Falvo. O'Neill is also alleged to be the first of the federation presidents to refuse to have any further discussions with the A-League clubs and the PFA. 

It's also worth noting that observers and participants from the past two days concur that not all of the state federation presidents flip-flopped. According to multiple sources, NSW's Anter Isaac copped “unbelievable abuse” from Steve Lowy “but he never wavered. He was extraordinarily strong.”

However, what the football community should now be demanding, in light of the perilous position we’re in, is for these mostly faceless men to be called to account. They're elected to these positions because they wanted to stand for them. They obviously believe in their own leadership capacity. They wield power. They should be held accountable.

What is their vision for football in their state? Why did they twice renegue on a deal that would have solved the FFA Congress issue this week? What is their counter-argument to the A-League clubs and the PFA? And why should we not believe that they’re perhaps more interested in their position in the game, rather than what is best for the game overall?

Categories: Opinion | A-League | Football Business

Tags: ffa congress, ffa governance, ffa, fifa, afc, a-league clubs, pfa

You might also like:

• 1 month later...

Was always going to happen. Had got to a point where only blowing the place up would resolve it. Lets hope its our 90's MLS moment without the help of a World Cup. First thing, Independent Aleague commission. 

Although I am very worried about the State federations getting more power.

Edited by Dylan

Like you @Dylan I'm very concerned. 

1. Taking instructions from FIFA on how to run an organisation is bizarre. They are allegedly the most corrupt sporting organisation in the world. 

2. Football in this country when dominated by the states and special interests was a disaster, but it seems that's where we are going

3. The clubs who want more say are mostly foreign owned and as best I can figure out they (& the Aussie owners) don't give a rats about the development of football in this country, which is why they stopped the proposed expansion.

On the eve of the new HAL season, Socceroos playing high stakes WC qualifiers, Matilda's doing great things for the game, the FFA and state feds are doing their best to keep power away from other legitimate football stakeholders :droy:.

Lowy appears dictatorial and state feds compliant sheep. FFS we had the balls up with the way the NSL was run into the ground by poor administration. You'd have to be nervous about FIFA getting involved but if they can sort out this crap and get a more representative congress then that'd be a good outcome.

• jw1739 changed the title to The APL/FA Management Thread
  • jw1739 pinned this topic