Melbourne Football

December 19 Christmas Derby

Cityscape

17 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I'm not for crowd violence, but if berisha scores a goal and celebrates in front of us again, expect a bottle in the face cunt.

I reckon being drenched in bourbon would be worse. 35° and covered in sticky, sickly booze for the rest of the match...take that you whinging, cheating, ugly little vermin.

I also agree that it's time for Hughes to step up and do a job. He was solid in the 1st half against Manchester City in pre-season, and the 1st half against Western Sydney (who were kept scoreless in the 1st half). Also, Berisha isn't that pacey, so out of our 3 options Clisby, Melling and Hughes I reckon Hughes has the smarts and ability to contain Berisha.

So I'd like to see the same lineup as last week, with Hughes in for injured Chapman:

------------------Sorensen------------------

Franjic-----Kisnorbo--Hughes----Clisby

----------Melling--------Paartalu-----------

--------------------Mooy---------------------

Mauk-----------Fornaroli-----------Novillo

Bench: Velaphi, Retre, Garuccio, Koren, Williams

The stage is set for us. Our big players Mooy, Fornaroli, Novillo and Franjic just need to keep up their good form, and if our other players (such as Paartalu, Kisnorbo, Mauk) can keep contributing then this match should be another solid attacking performance from us which keeps our good form rolling.

5 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I think Melling is struggling to hold Retre out right now. Apart from that I agree.

I agree. However I would start Melling for the first half simply because of his physicality compared to Retre. Given the heat and intensity I would expect that MV would be by and large tired for the second half which is when I would bring Retre on. In other words, I expect that the use of substitutes will be critical to the game plan.

27 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I agree. However I would start Melling for the first half simply because of his physicality compared to Retre. Given the heat and intensity I would expect that MV would be by and large tired for the second half which is when I would bring Retre on. In other words, I expect that the use of substitutes will be critical to the game plan.

One thing that will cost us this game is a red card. The player most likely to get a red card in a derby is Melling. We have to balance that risk against the extra steel he brings to midfield.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

I think Melling is struggling to hold Retre out right now. Apart from that I agree.

I'm a big fan of Retre, and have been pointing out his positive influence a lot this season. I'd be more than happy for either of Retre or Melling to start.

The main argument for starting Melling though is that you shouldn't change a winning team, and over the past few weeks we've started with a midfield of Melling, Paartalu and Mooy. 2 other good arguments for Melling is that he's more physical and defensive than Retre, and Melling has a good history of performing in derbies (he had a big game in our Christmas derby win last year).

So I'd be happy with either Retre or Melling starting, but I believe JVS will opt for a settled line-up, and will start Retre on the bench and sub him on in the 2nd half to give the team a boost.

It's so good having competition for spots, where some good players are unlucky and have to start on the bench. The club didn't have enough of these good "selection headaches" in the past.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Hey guys, 

Ive left my membership card at home and have no time to get it back, does anyone know if theres any way I can get in the stadium without having to purchase a new ticket? Anyone have this happen to them before/has any advice for me? 

Edited by OG-12

12 minutes ago, OG-12 said:

Hey guys, 

Ive left my membership card at home and have no time to get it back, does anyone know if theres any way I can get in the stadium without having to purchase a new ticket? Anyone have this happen to them before/has any advice for me? 

Only thing I can suggest is to go to the membership tent on Swan Street with some ID and plead your case.

• Like 1

JVS is always good value for a selection surprise. Melling completely dropped from the squad.

Starting XI:

------------------Sorensen----------------

Franjic---Kisnorbo--Clisby--Garuccio

----------------Retre----Paartalu---------

-----------------------Mooy-----------------

Mauk-------------Fornaroli-------Novillo

Bench: Velaphi, Hughes, Espindola, Williams, Koren

It's the same XI that scored 3 goals against the Newcastle Jets last round in the 2nd half. Fair enough to play that team again.

Clisby did do well at the centre-half position for 2/3s of that game. Also Garuccio played pretty well, especially for the 2nd goal where he tackled and took the ball off David Carney, dribbled up field then played a neat assist for Fornaroli to score.

If the team can pick up where they left off in the 2nd half against Newcastle last week, we should produce some effective quality football.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, n i k o said:

@Murfy1 why is Miller there then? 

Where is Miller? Him and Melling made the preliminary match day squad announced Thursday, but were dropped from the actual match day squad announced 50 minutes ago (there has to be 2 extra players named in the preliminary squad that get omitted from the actual match day squad every round).