Melbourne Football

December 19 Christmas Derby

Cityscape

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't take much notice of these articles TBH. They're generally full of typical sports phrases that are attributed to players when they're supposedly being interviewed. "Expectations", "growing confidence", "part of the job", "big season", "learning and part of the process" blah, blah, blah. Substitute two AFL clubs for City and Victory and choose a player from one of them and it could just as well be midseason AFL article. I suspect that these journos have several standard articles as fillers and they just mix and match the names they choose to insert into them.

Not so much the journos, the players themselves. They will have stock briefing notes given out to them by the PR guys. If it was an-person interview, Poortaloo would have been fully briefed and would have gone through rehearsals prior to the journo/crew turning up. If it's a phoner interview, he would have been given a list of phrases to literally read out to the questions. Sucks, but it's how professional sports journalism and PR has been working for at least the past decade now. 

3 minutes ago, AlbionLoveDen said:

Not so much the journos, the players themselves. They will have stock briefing notes given out to them by the PR guys. If it was an-person interview, Poortaloo would have been fully briefed and would have gone through rehearsals prior to the journo/crew turning up. If it's a phoner interview, he would have been given a list of phrases to literally read out to the questions. Sucks, but it's how professional sports journalism and PR has been working for at least the past decade now.

It's funny, the media bemoan modern day footballers and that there's no personalities in the game anymore, yet their the first to criticise and accuse them of racism, sexism, arrogance etc as soon as anyone says anything colourful.

Just now, bt50 said:

It's funny, the media bemoan modern day footballers and that there's no personalities in the game anymore, yet their the first to criticise and accuse them of racism, sexism, arrogance etc as soon as anyone says anything colourful.

And I guess that's the chicken-egg conundrum. So much is riding on the success of these sports people (including the journo themselves, who still needs to crank out copy and get a yarn for tomorrow's paper), that everyone's too scared to be truthful/honest.

Just now, AlbionLoveDen said:

And I guess that's the chicken-egg conundrum. So much is riding on the success of these sports people (including the journo themselves, who still needs to crank out copy and get a yarn for tomorrow's paper), that everyone's too scared to be truthful/honest.

Fuck the journos, lets make omelettes!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Broxham will mark Mooy out of the game, out for the rest of the season with broken ankles and a red card to boot. Muscat will be screaming blue murder the way Mooy's ankles tried to remove Broxhams studs from the boot.

Only before Melling pays him another visit.

1 hour ago, Cityscape said:

Whole bunch of City end tickets have just come on sale- http://premier.ticketek.com.au/events/MCITY1116/venues/MRS/performances/EMHR2015971/tickets

Let me know if we get a PAX from today. Keen to see where we're at.

we can't sell out our end of the ground, I bet  a few Victory supporters will be there

20 minutes ago, japiedog said:

we can't sell out our end of the ground, I bet  a few Victory supporters will be there

That's the active bay memberships that haven't yet been sold that have just gone on sale. Nothing to do with whether we can sell tickets to the bay.

Those seats can also only be purchased by City Active members.

Edited by bt50

I reckon if we get on the board early from a inch perfect Mooy Cross to someone's forehead we should then be able to really take the wind out of their sail considering how tired they will be after Perth and the Heat on the night.

Nothing would be better for me than Meiling to seal the game and do the following Celebration...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKJDpgybpno

For mine we go with:

Sorensen

Franjic             Kisnorbo          Hughes         Clisby

Retre               Paartalu

Mooy

Mauk                         Fornaroli                  Novillo

SUBS   Velaphi     Williams       Melling      Koren     Garrucio

Tbh I'd be happy to see Williams start but given the heat, Williams off the bench might be a super sub to have come on clinch the winner against heavy legs in his 100th game.

Given form, conditions, Valeri out and Victory travelling back from Perth I fully expect us to dominate this game from start to finish. The key will be whether we can keep them out on the counter, and conversely, make sure we can net two or three at the other end. As Cadete said, early goal to us is crucial.

19 hours ago, Jovan said:
1 hour ago, Imperial Pints said:

Just wondering what the majority on here think our central defensive pairing should be? Personally I don't think Hughes is up to starting a game yet, let alone one played in oppressive heat. If Melling is fit I'd start him with Paddy.

Honestly if Hughes can't start and play 90 minutes why did we sign him?

5 hours ago, cadete said:

I reckon if we get on the board early from a inch perfect Mooy Cross to someone's forehead we should then be able to really take the wind out of their sail considering how tired they will be after Perth and the Heat on the night.

Nothing would be better for me than Meiling to seal the game and do the following Celebration...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKJDpgybpno

Yeah, this would be better, directed at Thompson thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=desvHf5G5Sg

A-League Melbourne derby: veteran stopper may return for City

December 18, 2015

Michael Lynch

Veteran stopper Aaron Hughes will come back into the Melbourne City squad for just the third time this season and could line up alongside Patrick Kisnorbo in the heart of the in-form City defence for the derby against Melbourne Victory on Saturday night.

Coach John van 't Schip is juggling his options at the back given the injury suffered by central defender Connor Chapman, a medial ligament problem that will keep the youngster out for three months.

The Dutchman could use utility Jack Clisby at centre-half alongside Kisnorbo, or do what he did a few weeks before, and drop midfielder Jacob Melling into the slot alongside the club captain.

Hughes, a Northern Ireland international and former Newcastle United and Fulham central defender, is an experienced professional and van 't Schip said he was fit enough to play 90 minutes if selected. He has started only once, lasting just one half in the home defeat to Western Sydney.

The coach said that all aspects of the game — including the high temperature in which the match will be played — would be taken into account before a decision.

"There are a lot of things we consider. One of them could be the circumstances because of the heat. For the players it's going to be a challenge but it's the same for both teams. Hughes could, maybe, play 90 minutes.

"We have to not think too much about it [the heat]. We have played in those circumstances before. It's going to be hot, something the players have to deal with."

City may have won their past three games and Victory lost their past three, but van 't Schip is not naive enough to think that this match will be anything but a severe test.

"We all know that the differences [between the teams] are very, very small. We also know that we haven't beaten them in the last three games.

"Our last win was this time last year [when Erik Paartalu scored with a stoppage-time header to give City a 1-0 win]. They are the champions, they have won everything last year.

"It [Victory's ability] didn't disappear overnight. For us it's just focusing on the game and continuing on the things we are doing. This is a special game, a different game."

While City have been barnstorming their way to easy victories in the past month there is still an element of doubt about them given they have not played any of the top teams.

Van 't Schip acknowledges that before they can be considered real contenders they have to beat sides like Victory and other frontrunners like Western Sydney.

"Their strong point is that it is a team that has shown over a period of time that they can bounce back, and that they win a lot of things. It's a team with quality. For sure it will bounce back.

"If you really want to make an impact you have to win a lot of those games. The league is tight. We have to start beating the teams that are normally in the first four if you want to become one of the best teams in the league."

If City can keep their winning run going they will open up a four-point lead over Victory, but that's not something van 't Schip will stress to his players. "No, I won't mention it ... [it's] no use to talk about ifs. Everybody knows what happens if you win, and if you lose. We have to approach this game in a very professional way. It will bring a lot of other things with it."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-melbourne-derby-veteran-stopper-may-return-for-city-20151218-glqprd.html

My fear for this game is despite all the good play from us we will have Finkler or Berisha tripping over in the D and getting a free kick.

Finkler having done nothing all day because he is tired from travel and hot, takes two steps and buries it into the top right corner. He's a diver extraordinaire but is a talented free kick taker.

I then woke up from the nightmare and not sure what is real and what is fiction.

~ Melbourne Table Football Club at City Sqaure (Melbourne city FC's city square outside aami park) Today 5:00pm-7:00pm~

Hi guys

Some of you are aware of us but we are heart/city fans who have started a table football club from the ground up and have posted here before back in January where we hosted the table football asian cup. If you are a Melbourne City forum member then you should be well aware of the "flick here for subbuteo" thread

We got in contact with Melbourne City if they would like the club to be included in their fan engagement before a home game and they asked us to join them at the derby fixture.

We will be setting up at city square (Gosch's Paddock) to hold a demonstration and have people experiment and play the game to see how it all works on a makeshift 3/4 board

We will also be selling a few things as well as stickers which are 50 cents each. So come and say hello, We should be operating from 5:00pm to 7:00pm

See you later

12346752_934017326675331_107711516_n.jpg

Edited by True Until I die
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, True Until I die said:

~ Melbourne Table Football Club at City Sqaure Today 5:00pm-7:00pm~

Hi guys

Some of you are aware of us but we are heart/city fans who have started a table football club from the ground up and have posted here before back in January where we hosted the table football asian cup. If you are a Melbourne City forum member then you should be well aware of the "flick here for subbuteo" thread

We got in contact with Melbourne City if they would like the club to be included in their fan engagement before a home game and they asked us to join them at the derby fixture.

We will be setting up at city square (Gosch's Paddock) to hold a demonstration and have people experiment and play the game to see how it all works on a makeshift 3/4 board

We will also be selling a few things as well as stickers which are 50 cents each. So come and say hello, We should be operating from 5:00pm to 7:00pm

See you later

12346752_934017326675331_107711516_n.jpg

Great work