Melbourne Football

December 19 Christmas Derby

Cityscape

Muscat pretty much summed up his game-plan last night after the Perth game, "That's what happens when you don't score first", i.e. 1. Score first, 2. Park the bus, 3. counter attack hoping to catch them out as the opposition presses higher looking for a goal.

They didn't just lose their last three games, they also didn't score in their last three games so it's really simple - we score first, we win :up: 

• Like 1

Keys to us winning 

Novillo to spend large periods of the game on the right hand side and terrorize georgevski like castelan did last week 

Attack mahazi as much as possible, 2 yellow card challenges he does most weeks

Separate broxham and delpierre

Don't let their front 4 get loads of time and space

This is honestly the first time I'm going to a Derby thinking we are the better team both on form and on paper 

Edited by neio
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

Like a few weeks ago where we scored 5 anyway?

I reckon the last 2 games he hasn't totally dominated and we have played really good as a team. Maybe if they focus to much on stopping Mooy the others will have more time and space to deliver muscat a flaming bag of dogshit for Christmas. Merry Christmas towball 

29 minutes ago, japiedog said:

any coach would man mark Mooy

seriously, cut him out of the game and we are in trouble

I respect your knowledge of the game Japie, but as @wombegongal pointed out it didn't go too well for the Mariners.  To recap the rest of our midfield and forwards had a lot more space and Novillo and Tuna put them to the sword as a result. On top of that the bloke marking Mooy was run around so much that he had to go off, stuffed, after 60 min. At which point the indefatigable Mooy shredded them.

I haven't given a lot of thought on how to stop Aaron (& if I had a good idea I wouldn't be publishing it!) but I do know it would be giving me nightmares if I was the opposition coach. TBH without Valeri I'm not sure they can.

When Mooy realised he was being man marked he used it to pull the Mariners out of shape and create space for others. Although it looked like he had no active contribution, his movement off the ball was one of the reasons why we won so easily. If the visitors tried that a similar thing would happen and this is why man marking is an option with high risk in these days of very structured teams

• Like 3

Haven't been this confident going into a derby since our 4-0 win when we were hitting some form and Engelaar was tearing it up. This time we are the in form team and Mooy is playing better than Engelaar was and this time we have Fornaroli and Novillo who are playing just as good. Need to attack them early and put them on the back foot, they're confidence is very low atm and ours is probably the highest its ever been so an early goal will play heavily in our favour.

Despite their abysmal form the oppo this week are of a far higher quality than anything we've faced since the Brisbane game. They're still capable of scoring first and turning the game into an absolute hackfest full of fouls, time wasting and general belligerance. Chasing a game in high temps is particularly difficult so whoever scores first will probably win. Hughes in particular will be suited to defending a lead and sitting a bit deeper.

Melbourne City need to win derby to prove they have A-League title credentials

Michael Lynch

December 17, 2015

Melbourne City have to win this weekend's derby with Melbourne Victory if they want to silence the critics and prove their championship credentials.

They need the three points not simply to continue their three-match winning streak, nor to gain revenge over Victory for a semi-final defeat last season. 

No, says midfielder Erik Paartalu, City has to knock over Victory to gain credibility and convince the doubters that the now Manchester City owned club has what it takes to emulate its cross-town rivals and become a championship contender.

Saturday's derby - the second of the season - is vital for City. A win can show their recent hot streak has not just been achieved because they have been playing against teams struggling outside the top six.
A loss against an out-of-form opponent, and all the old criticisms will be heard again.

For virtually the first time in the 17-game history of matches between these two sides, City will go in as favourites given their recent strong form and Victory's mini slump, which deepened on Wednesday night when the champions lost 1-0 in Perth, their third defeat in a row.

"We are on a great run ourselves, we don't want to let it finish. It's a great opportunity for us to win. We have to win this game. It's one of those games where we have to be taken seriously by getting three points," Paartalu said.

"It's something we need to change if we want to be a big club in this league and really pushing to be a top side. 

"We really need to be beating teams like Melbourne Victory regardless of the circumstances and it's a great opportunity for us on Saturday night," said Paartalu, whose last-gasp header in stoppage time of the same fixture last season gave City a 1-0 win, the last time they beat Victory.

The fact City have taken 10 points out of the past 12 available has certainly lifted the mood around the club, but more importantly the players are now fully buying into the culture that is being created at the City Football Academy, Paartalu said.

That includes a new-found ruthlessness on the part of the coach, John van 't Schip, who has not hesitated to leave big-name players out if he felt they were not working at various points this season. 

Paartalu found himself on the outer early in the campaign after he was dropped following a loss and a draw in the opening two rounds, only forcing his way back into the side against Adelaide in round five.

He scored that night - the first of two goals he has notched this season - and has retained his place in the side.

"Everything is there for us as a platform. Only recently have we started to believe in it, the culture is being created every day, so it's getting stronger and stronger, and for the first time it's starting to feel like a real football club."

City have scored 14 goals in the past three games and conceded only two. But it was only last Sunday, in the 4-0 win at Newcastle, that they kept a clean sheet for the first time all season.

"It's certainly changed in the dressing room. Walking around the place now there's a bit more confidence, that aura that we are capable of scoring goals and also defending well as a team. 

"It [keeping a clean sheet] became a focus three or four weeks ago when we started scoring a lot of goals in games and conceding some as well.

"It's great to score goals, but at the other end we worked to fine tune a few things. We needed to defend as a collective."

Of his own goals - against Adelaide and Perth - he is modest. 

"It's easier when you have got someone like Aaron Mooy putting them on a plate for you, and set pieces are something we are quite strong at as a team."

The 29-year-old reflects on the fact that he was dropped earlier in the season - with the coach not sparing his feelings about why he had been omitted - as another learning curve in a footballing life.

"That's part and parcel of being a footballer. It's not always smooth sailing. You just have to get on with your job, be professional. It's what you get paid to do, turn up, train, get better.

"I am glad to be in the team now, it's certainly something I won't take for granted. But the coach is within his rights. We didn't have a a great start to the season, a draw and a loss. 

"The gaffer made it pretty clear he wasn't going to wait around this season to make things happen, he was going to make things happen from the minute go.

"That's the way the season has been for us, it's been like this season is a big season and he means business, so we all have to mean business.

"It comes with the job. As a manager it's probably something he has grown into as well. Expectation has grown with all of us at this club. This season is a big season for all of us. We all feel that expectation. We are all learning and its part of the process."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-need-to-win-derby-to-prove-they-have-aleague-title-credentials-20151217-glpnq8.html

"for the first time it's starting to feel like a real football club". 

Wow. What did it feel like before? I just don't understand how you can say stuff like that after a couple good wins. We lose the next 3 games does it still feel like a real club.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 2

The 29-year-old reflects on the fact that he was dropped earlier in the season - with the coach not sparing his feelings about why he had been omitted - as another learning curve in a footballing life.

This ^ implies that in the past jvs has dropped players without given them straight & honest feedback about what they'd have to do to reclaim their spot. Pretty damning im

Edited by Imperial Pints
I have stared into the eyes of the beast that is the double post gremlin and he is a frightful creature

27 minutes ago, Imperial Pints said:

This ^ implies that in the past jvs has dropped players without given them straight & honest feedback about what they'd have to do to reclaim their spot. Pretty damning im

Does it really imply that?  

No idea how you got to that conclusion.

I don't take much notice of these articles TBH. They're generally full of typical sports phrases that are attributed to players when they're supposedly being interviewed. "Expectations", "growing confidence", "part of the job", "big season", "learning and part of the process" blah, blah, blah. Substitute two AFL clubs for City and Victory and choose a player from one of them and it could just as well be midseason AFL article. I suspect that these journos have several standard articles as fillers and they just mix and match the names they choose to insert into them.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, japiedog said:

ok and who was the non nondescript marking him

I think Victory have better players, a better structure and a better coach than the Mariners

Harry Ascroft? 

The commentary team literally drew attention to it every 5 minutes

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

Not overly concerned by Mahazi, Broxham or Bozanic marking Mooy out of a game.

Broxham will mark Mooy out of the game, out for the rest of the season with broken ankles and a red card to boot. Muscat will be screaming blue murder the way Mooy's ankles tried to remove Broxhams studs from the boot.

30 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Broxham will mark Mooy out of the game, out for the rest of the season with broken ankles and a red card to boot. Muscat will be screaming blue murder the way Mooy's ankles tried to remove Broxhams studs from the boot.

Dead set if Broxham Muscat-style tackled Mooy and broke his leg, I guarantee you that Broxham wouldn't make it off the pitch with his skull in tact.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Dont understand people not going due to the heat, being outdoors with a beer is the best thing you can do on a hot night. 

Not only that with the Temperature reaching over 40 now the Hool Track has been officially upgraded to its highest ranking of a “Firm 1 – Dry Hard Track”. We are talking a track harder than the one at Ascot on Perth Cup Day.

Maximum Hool Points are now on offer!!! :ph34r:

• Like 2