Melbourne Football

December 19 Christmas Derby

Cityscape

2 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Minus a bad pass or 2 Clisby has confidence and looks the goods. Pity about the red hair but makes him easy to spot.

WE ARE MELBOURNE......... 

WE ARE CITY...........

Watching Sorenson and Tuna hugging 10mins after the game finished was great to see, sometimes wonder about Visa players whether they buy into the club or not.

Any player surely wants to be part of a winning team. Novillo, Fornaroli and Sorenson are professionals who seem to pride themselves on putting in good performances and seeing the team do well. I don't think you'll hear them saying "if we win we win, if we lose we lose."

How anyone could rate clisby over Sorensen amazes me. The only reason and I mean the only reason we won tonight was Sorensen.

Haven't read the whole thread. But Clisby was poor. He repeatedly missed the player he was looking for. There is no disguising it. But so is kisnorbo on the ball. A genuine liability. He seemed to be doing his best Colosimo interpretation for large parts of the game. Those two coupled with Erik doing his best to turn the ball over meant we were simply unable to retain possession aside from the 20 minutes when we grabbed two goals. Still at least they lost it going forwards. I remember a lot of games watching where it was lost when passing between colosimo Bolton and whoever was playing at the back with colosimo.

we were second best for the first ten minutes and for the 60 minutes after their goal. I'm not actually that upset about it because we won but I'd be rope able if we'd lost. Novillo was disappointing on the night, his two highlights being the tackle which led to the yellow card and his sloooooowwwww walk off. Mooy was his usual self, el tuna very good. Retre scored but was part of a well beaten midfield. Franjic was barely ok. 

Happy with the win. Lots of work still to be done but feeling better.

• Like 3

had crappy seats but they were perfect for seeing the goals scored by Mauk and Retre. That second half cost me another life and a crushed mobile phone but t was worth it. I guess I could say that the team needs to improve and blah, blah, blah. What better Xmas present?

The other thing that I will point out is that on the park, there was some serious young talent by City in Mauk, Retre, and Garrucio, AND in Geria and Deng for MV. Those 5 players alone can make a decent under 23s team. I hope that Ange was watching the game.

And as I write PG is leading WSW 2-1. I hope that it stays that way.

Fantastic result. Love the Christmas derby. 

My old man used to say that he wished every day was Christmas. I wish every game was a Christmas derby!

Not sure if its the couple extra beers after arriving home but I was nervous as all fuck those last 30mins and for the first time I can remember every player looked like they were actually desperate to hang on. 

This feeling should never end.

3 minutes ago, Melbournehammer said:

Oh and one final thing. With a different ref there might have been 12 cards and Ben khallifah would have been off very early on. His approach to the game was unusual to say the least.

Fahid hasn't played Great this year from what I've seen and thank God we didn't play him into form. But yes the lack of cards was annoying and should have put a few more MV on the yellow.

Never in doubt............

Just home and buggered after having my adrenal glands wrung out for 90 minutes. I thought watching sport was meant to be an enjoyable pastime but after their goal that was 60 minutes of torture. Well done to the lads - the gods smiled on us and we take the points and march on. 

Two great goals and I loved Retre'a work tonight - he brought a huge amount of energy to the midfield and is improving weekly. He is also quicker than I gave him credit for which is helpful next to QE2 Paartalu. Sorensen clearly MOM and saved our bacon with stunning saves. I think Bruno had a tough night with Delpierre who is in another league compared to recent defenders, but I just love his energy and fight. You can see he's busting his guts and the respect shown by others towards his efforts seems to lift us. 

So we were a bit lucky, but I think it's really hard to judge some performances tonight because of the conditions. It was just oppressive watching it in the stands let alone playing. Paartalu looked fucked and couldn't track at the end and even Koren struggled with his 10-15 minutes. And Franjic is way off being fit - I can't wait til he is - he provides great drive and cunning. Tactically I would have dropped Mooy deeper and played Koren further up when he came on. Koren was so off the pace fitness wise and he's possibly just one of those players who struggles with heat. Some people just don't have the physiology to deal with it. 

And what planet is Muscat on when he says the second half was the most one sided in derby history? We were second best in the second half admittedly but he must have missed the numerous chances we had to bury the game and forgets the 4-0 thumping we dished out a few years back. Idiotic statement. 

Santa came early and I hope everyone on here enjoyed the final result as much as I did. Merry Christmas!!

• Like 1

Great result considering Novillo & Mooy didn't have their usual influence. Thought Harry was awful tbh...petulant, selfish and chose the wrong option repeatedly. Surprised he wasn't hooked earlier. Am glad Sorenson was able to rectify his blunder with some quality saves and thought Franjic was particularly impressive also.

Oh and Berisha can eat his own excrement. That guy is an absolute mouth breather. Him & his coach are taking the elevator straight down to the basement when they leave this world.

• Like 2

Strider's weekly "three things I learnt this game":

1. Man-marking Mooy only works 50% of the time

2. Great crowd, good stuff by Melburnians and Co -- they lit a flare on a total fire ban day. Fucking retards. Also took the massive MCFC #TOGETHER WE ARE LOUDER sign down. Disgrace. Take that banner, we'll take the 3 points you mongrels. 

3. I guess Sorenson is ok @Dylan

• Like 4

13 hours ago, CSKAfan_9 said:

Hey lads, anyone watching the game in Patong?

No but i watched the matt thompson derby a few years back from Patong. The “Aussie Bar” on Bangla road werent showing it. Some rinky-dink bar with 3 or 4 tables had a very high quality webstream. Good times. Hope u got to see the match.

So many people saying we were so poor in that second half and that without Sorenson pulling some magic out of his arse we'd have lost. You guys realise Sorenson is a member of our team and that's what he's payed to do right? Somebody on the team has to stop the attack, and several times Sorenson stepped up, who reckons he's a wasted VISA spot now? I'd say we were great tonight, beat the reigning champions in the derby after all! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Clisby won us that game in the end. He'll be getting my MOTM vote when Hedaik puts the poll up.

Hope everyone had a great night and got home safe and trouble free. Merry Christmas :) 

Paging @HOLLYWOOD clisby no.1 fan

on anlther note jimmy, do you still think Sorensen was a waste of a visa spot?

Edited by thisphantomfortress

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

on anlther note jimmy, do you still think Sorensen was a waste of a visa spot?

Of course. The fact that he's a good keeper was never a point of contention. I honestly think we'd be in an even better position if we had a high quality VISA Left back, centre half or another winger with Tando between the sticks.

But please let's not turn this thread into another debate about the merits of a VISA keeper.

Take it as it is folks. If you're going to win silverware in most cases there's going to be a match or two like that in the process where by rights you should have lost but somehow you didn't. That's why tragics like us keep coming back.

Wish we could have been there but couldn't due to surgery, but lent our cards to two young friends of ours. Incidentally, the attendance at the very first Christmas Derby (season 2010-11) was lower than last night. The average for all home derbies is 25,592, so filling those remaining seats is an issue for the club to work on.

Just looking at the highlights - a great win against all the odds. Wonderful stuff - one of the classics for the all-time highlights reel.

Marry Christmas to you all, young and old, and may we all prosper in 2016.

JW.

• Like 2