Melbourne Football

They forced us to change colours- and that's the only thing they changed!

loveart

Got a fancy game day mini record on the way in, players have fancy facilities bla bla bla.......Who cares!

We  still play with an inferiority complex - why?

We are still Melbourne Heart any way you look at it and we may as well have kept our colours because in my opinion that was the best thing about the club.

I accepted the new owners and reluctantly, colours as a trade off for some success and unfortunately we are still way off. We need a new manager who knows how to fire up the players because JVS is the one constant from Heart to City- I don't think the players have any fear of him. We need a big name marquee purely to get bums on seats as we are not going to attract the general public with no name marquees and a whole heap of youth players. 

And once Mooy leaves mid season, God Help Us.

Got a fancy game day mini record on the way in, players have fancy facilities bla bla bla.......Who cares!

We  still play with an inferiority complex - why?

We are still Melbourne Heart any way you look at it and we may as well have kept our colours because in my opinion that was the best thing about the club.

I accepted the new owners and reluctantly, colours as a trade off for some success and unfortunately we are still way off. We need a new manager who knows how to fire up the players because JVS is the one constant from Heart to City- I don't think the players have any fear of him. We need a big name marquee purely to get bums on seats as we are not going to attract the general public with no name marquees and a whole heap of youth players. 

And once Mooy leaves mid season, God Help Us.

So essentially this:

http://forum.melbournefootball.com/topic/2937-sack-jvs-the-timeless-edition/?page=87

• Jimmy locked this topic
  • Murfy1 unlocked this topic

Reopened. Discusses more than sacking the coach.

After yesterday's match, it's a fair question to ask: how much has CFG changed the club?

Off the park its transformed it for the better. It has become ultra professional and has the best facilities in the league. Aesthetically, we have a better name (not some bullshit Americanised name, a proper football name) and a far better emblem which is based upon a supporter creation in the heart days. We are also taking a womens team seriously and have already become the bench mark two weeks into the W-league season on and off the pitch.

Sure, everyone is angry for the on the pitch performance last night, but you cant make any argument at all against that the club as a whole has become immensely better.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 6

Off the park its transformed it for the better. It has become ultra professional and has the best facilities in the league. Aesthetically, we have a better name (not some bullshit Americanised name, a proper football name) and a far better emblem which is based upon a supporter creation in the heart days. We are also taking a womens team seriously and have already become the bench mark two weeks into the W-league season on and off the pitch.

Sure, everyone is angry for the on the pitch performance last night, but you cant make any argument at all against that the club as a whole has become immensely better.

CFG has managed to change almost everything at the club for the better - by a long, long way - except the results on the pitch. It has put in a huge investment both in capital and operating expenditure. Even dialogue with the fans if you want to get down to detail - audio, video, the FRG (now monthly), extra personnel in Fan Engagement, Cityzens, "City Voice", "City Insider" - and so on.

Unfortunately, when results are not what the fans want, understandably those fans don't see all the good things that have been done. Which after the FFA Cup exit and the Newcastle match is what is happening now.

I can't really see that the original post adds anything to what has been raised elsewhere, and many times, in 5+ seasons. The manager, the attendances, marquees - they've all been chewed over time and time again.

Edit: By the way "They forced us to change colours" is not a true statement. CFG are the owners of the club (franchise), and they haven't forced anyone to do anything. "They changed the colours" - yes, but they are the owners of the licence to operate the franchise (club) in the A-League, and needed only the approval of FFA to do that.

Edited by jw1739

better facilities - still the same bullshit injury problems
better resources, better marketing
still the same mediocre, crowds, memberships (how many last year were villa memberships) and still an embarrassment on the pitch

In a way, it could be worse, because it's pretty clear that the club is trying to win stuff now. Back in the Heart days, you could be forgiven for thinking that the club was simply trying to not run at a loss, on-field results be damned.

• Like 1

Reopened. Discusses more than sacking the coach.

After yesterday's match, it's a fair question to ask: how much has CFG changed the club?

Sorry Murfy but this is a superfluous topic and just an agglomeration of other threads - memberships, attendance figures, JVS and also CFG to name the main ones. Don't need to read it all again.

• Like 1

CFG has managed to change almost everything at the club for the better - by a long, long way - except the results on the pitch. It has put in a huge investment both in capital and operating expenditure. Even dialogue with the fans if you want to get down to detail - audio, video, the FRG (now monthly), extra personnel in Fan Engagement, Cityzens, "City Voice", "City Insider" - and so on.

Unfortunately, when results are not what the fans want, understandably those fans don't see all the good things that have been done. Which after the FFA Cup exit and the Newcastle match is what is happening now.

I can't really see that the original post adds anything to what has been raised elsewhere, and many times, in 5+ seasons. The manager, the attendances, marquees - they've all been chewed over time and time again.

Edit: By the way "They forced us to change colours" is not a true statement. CFG are the owners of the club (franchise), and they haven't forced anyone to do anything. "They changed the colours" - yes, but they are the owners of the licence to operate the franchise (club) in the A-League, and needed only the approval of FFA to do that.

I understand that the colours are up to the owners, but we the supporters have no choice but to accept it and only a Man.City supporter preferes sky blue to red and white.  At least if we look like big brother then let's get a bit more ruthless and start following in their footsteps 

I understand that the colours are up to the owners, but we the supporters have no choice but to accept it and only a Man.City supporter preferes sky blue to red and white.  At least if we look like big brother then let's get a bit more ruthless and start following in their footsteps 

Cardiff fans didn't accept their kit change, Tan eventually wilted and the fans got their blue home kit back. We don't really have to accept anything. Buy the red & white merch-not the blue, wear red & white to the games and tell cfg you won't renew your membership if they ditch the Heart colours for good.

Cfg said they'd preserve the Melbourne Heart FC colours & history...this is how to hold them to account. Every member that explicity states their dissastisfaction and fails to re sign sends a clear message to the suits that we don't want to follow Man City Lite. As of right now they need all the members they can get.

Cardiff fans didn't accept their kit change, Tan eventually wilted and the fans got their blue home kit back. We don't really have to accept anything. Buy the red & white merch-not the blue, wear red & white to the games and tell cfg you won't renew your membership if they ditch the Heart colours for good.

Cfg said they'd preserve the Melbourne Heart FC colours & history...this is how to hold them to account. Every member that explicity states their dissastisfaction and fails to re sign sends a clear message to the suits that we don't want to follow Man City Lite. As of right now they need all the members they can get.

They never said anything about the colours. They only changed one of the heart colours and that seems to be missed a lot in this forum.  

They never said anything about the colours. They only changed one of the heart colours and that seems to be missed a lot in this forum.  

Dylan, whilst true, this is also absolute rubbish. It is the red that distinguishes City from the other side of town and the pale blue represents Manchester City and the CFG. Not us!

• Like 2

no white is not a colour. They got rid of the only colour we had and kept the shade. Only the naive or disingenuous would accept that as "trying to keep the colours". 

At the FRG meeting Scott Munn said that CFG was bitterly disappointed about the FFA cup loss and he put it on JVS's selections.

If that is true Tom, then CFG have to act now. Whether right or wrong the core supporters of this team will ultimately hold them to blame, and I don't blame them. FWIW I believe success will come, simply because CFG won't accept second best. It won't be tomorrow, but it will happen.

Well, he's made a dog's breakfast of his selections twice in a week and a half. Your move, Scott.

(twiddling thumbs, looking at watch)

crickets....crickets everywhere.......it's not up to Munn any longer, suits above him will determine when.

crickets....crickets everywhere.......it's not up to Munn any longer, suits above him will determine when.

Then we don't need a CEO. I would have thought that being responsible for hiring and firing the managers of the various departments and holding them to account is precisely his job.

At the FRG meeting Scott Munn said that CFG was bitterly disappointed about the FFA cup loss and he put it on JVS's selections.

If that is true Tom, then CFG have to act now. Whether right or wrong the core supporters of this team will ultimately hold them to blame, and I don't blame them. FWIW I believe success will come, simply because CFG won't accept second best. It won't be tomorrow, but it will happen.

Holy shit man. You live in another country and support another club but you get it more than people who have been here since and before Heart existed. 

A League attendances and viewing numbers are down this season. CFG have to do something decisive sooner rather than later as many of those lost viewers will be very difficult to entice back and there aren't thousands of ready replacements queuing for admission. It'll take a very long time to build this franchise if they leave the decision until the next derby loss.

Then we don't need a CEO. I would have thought that being responsible for hiring and firing the managers of the various departments and holding them to account is precisely his job.

it is precisely his job, although his role seems to be more aligned with marketing and daily running on the operations of the club in Melbourne.

Decision to sack the coach will unequivocally come from cfg.

hope you remember how aloisi was sacked.

Peter sidwell faced the media to announce board's decision to execute bambi.

where was Munn?

it is precisely his job, although his role seems to be more aligned with marketing and daily running on the operations of the club in Melbourne.

where was Munn?

Presumably presenting his recommendations to the board.

I don't know how they run things there, but I would have thought that the marketing and operations could be looked after by a marketing manager and operations manager, respectively. And that Munn would be the direct report for those managers, the football manager, the high performance manager, the accounting manager etc...etc...

To make it clear: what I do know about Munn, I don't particularly like. But if he is powerless to do such basic CEO things as sacking a consistently underperforming coach, then why on earth do we need him?

where was Munn?

Appointing and firing coaches has always been a board decision, never Scott Munn's. I would presume this would be similar in numerous other clubs, if not the majority (even if the board are really at the controlled by a single individual)

Appointing and firing coaches has always been a board decision, never Scott Munn's. I would presume this would be similar in numerous other clubs, if not the majority (even if the board are really at the controlled by a single individual)

I would also presume this is how the majority of clubs work as well.

The CEO is responsible for the day to day management of the club, major decisions like sacking the coach would most likely be made at a higher level at most clubs.

I would also presume this is how the majority of clubs work as well.

The CEO is responsible for the day to day management of the club, major decisions like sacking the coach would most likely be made at a higher level at most clubs.

I would also add that most large companies also have the board make the final decision with respect to senior personnel. The CEO may make a recommendation to the board, may even participate in the boards deliberation but the board makes the final decision. And I personally know of a CFO that was sacked by the board and then the CEO was told of the deed.

• Like 1

Dylan, whilst true, this is also absolute rubbish. It is the red that distinguishes City from the other side of town and the pale blue represents Manchester City and the CFG. Not us!

So we should only as a counter team to victory? Thats what heart was about. I would have thought that as City we are better than that. 

Edited by Dylan

Everything has changed for the better except the on field performances.

Spot on and can't agree more, have been more than impressed with effort put in off the field and to be honest I don't mind the colours. There was always going to be a teething period as with most take overs, there still has to be a change in attitude as far as I'm concerned but it'll get there and I think we'll start seeing more crowds, more wins and all round happier supporters. 

• Like 1

I would also add that most large companies also have the board make the final decision with respect to senior personnel. The CEO may make a recommendation to the board, may even participate in the boards deliberation but the board makes the final decision. And I personally know of a CFO that was sacked by the board and then the CEO was told of the deed.

Absolutely true. Not only terminations but also appointments, remuneration etc. Simply because large companies have an overall reputation to maintain. And out of respect for the senior personnel that they have hired in the first place. Terminations of any sort at a high level in an organization may have far wider implications than just local ones. CFG is a perfect example of that - should a coach be terminated at any one of our four clubs then you can bet the media would be all over it. And it might be quite difficult for a coach to get another gig in a hurry.

Spot on and can't agree more, have been more than impressed with effort put in off the field and to be honest I don't mind the colours. There was always going to be a teething period as with most take overs, there still has to be a change in attitude as far as I'm concerned but it'll get there and I think we'll start seeing more crowds, more wins and all round happier supporters. 

Couldn't agree more.  With regards to the colours, I think CFG has got it spot on. They were always going to change the home kit, but using the Heart home kit as the "new" away kit is a smart move. It acknowledges the history(however short that may be) of the club and allows those of us that joined when they were Heart to hold on to that history. I bought my first Melbourne City jersey this year, and it was always going to be the away kit for that reason. Yes Friday sucked, but on the whole I think they are headed in the right direction. Patience is the key. I would rather win consistently in the long run than a lot for a short period. As for crowds, I don't have numbers(happy to be proved wrong if anyone does have them) but from appearances, the GA area at the opposite end of the active area appears to have more people than the last few years. I think what makes it look like there are less is because all the premium seats are on the left and right. If we're building a club then these are always going to fill up last. I mean, why pay extra when(derbies excepted) you can pay for a GA membership and pretty much sit wherever you want at a home game.  We've got some way to go but I think overall, we are headed in the right direction. 

• Like 2