Melbourne Football

Alex Chidiac [has re-signed]

Murfy1

SA’s Alex Chidiac joins Melbourne City’s W-League revolution

October 26, 2015

SHE is living 700km from home and completing Year 11 by correspondence, but rising SA soccer star Alex Chidiac says it is the move she had to make.

The 16-year-old forward was a standout in Melbourne City’s 2-1 win over Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park yesterday.

Chidiac, who was headhunted for City’s inaugural women’s side, says the W-League’s first Melbourne derby is the type of marquee fixture that lured her across the border.

“It needed to be done,” says Chidiac, of her transfer east from Adelaide United.

“I’m the kind of player that needs new challenges and to step out of my comfort zone.

“It also helps to play in big stadiums and in front of (TV) cameras.

“It adds pressure but that’s what I need to play under.”

Chidiac, who debuted for the Lady Reds aged 15 last year, made her senior international bow in February when she replaced Matildas legend Lisa DeVanna in a friendly against New Zealand.

Six months later, the diminutive flyer was recruited by City, where she counts DeVanna and fellow World Cup stars Steph Catley, Laura Alleway and Larissa Crummer as teammates.

“I’m learning so much and I’m growing as a player here,” says Chidiac, who can also play as a winger or attacking midfielder.

“I’m so lucky to be able to play with such quality players and they’re amazing people as well.

“(DeVanna) is giving me lots of advice and has really taken me under her wing.”

Chidiac trains twice daily at City’s $15 million football academy.

The lavish complex was bankrolled by club owner the City Football Group, which also controls English Premier League giant Manchester City.

She lives in a share house at the adjoining LaTrobe University campus with four other interstate players, while continuing her schooling externally with Marden Senior College.

“Every footballer dreams of having such quality facilities to train on,” says Chidiac, who played for Australia at the Asian under-19 championships in August.

“It’s pretty cool to live three minutes (walk) from the training ground.

“We all go out to cafes together and it’s a real family feel.

“I think of them like my sisters and they are making it really easy for me.

“I’m so busy here I don’t even notice that I’m away from my family most of the time.”

City, which also boasts SA players Monique Iannella and Racheal Quigley, sits top of the W-League table after opening its account with a stunning 6-0 triumph away to Sydney FC last weekend.

Chidiac says it has been a “fairytale” start.

“As a team we want to keep winning and want to prove to that every W-League team should have this type of (training) environment.

“Hopefully I can prove myself here to be good enough to play for the Matildas.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/sport/sas-alex-chidiac-joins-melbourne-citys-w-league-revolution/story-fni9llzu-1227583071274

Was impressive yesterday. A real livewire. Good to see talented young players in Melbourne City's W-League setup.

Edited by Murfy1

• 2 weeks later...

One to watch: Alex Chidiac

alex-chidiac_18ae2rsjyug4u1pcibad4yv7kd.

Wednesday, 11 November 2015

Like Stefan Mauk, Chidiac is from South Australia. And at just 16 the buzz about this diminutive teenager is huge with many believing she could be a future Matildas star.

The youngest member of Joe Montemurro’s star studded squad, the striker has acquired experience beyond her years at just 16.

Making a name for herself in South Australia’s Women’s Premier League, Chidiac was scouted by the Lady Reds as a train-on before earning selection in the U16s national team as a 14-year-old.

A full international call-up soon followed, securing a place in the Matildas' 2014 AFC Asian Cup squad in China.

The teen has since held down a spot in the Young Matildas set-up and arrived at Melbourne City FC as one of the county’s most promising talents.

And you can see with her stats that she’s one to watch in the NAB Young Footballer of the Year race.

So far this season, 46 passes, 4 shots, 3 chances created and 9 duels. Small in frame she may be, but a huge potential has Alex Chidiac.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/nab-young-footballer-of-the-year-one-to-watch-alex-chidiac/sz4drvz1c00k1e5pqbmbfgzft

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Young Matilda Alex Chidiac joins Campbelltown City

Matt Turner

June 2, 2016

TEEN soccer sensation Alex Chidiac has a national title under her belt but still finds it weird signing autographs and she drinks orange juice during team celebrations.

Chidiac, 17, has signed a two-year contract extension with Melbourne City after playing 10 matches for the club, including the last two minutes of its inaugural W-League grand final victory over Sydney FC in January.

She has returned to Adelaide to play for Campbelltown City’s new women’s team during the W-League off-season.

She says her championship experience at the elite level is yet to sink in.

“It was just like a dream,” Chidiac, of Windsor Gardens, says.

“We walked around the pitch and signed autographs and had photos with everybody, then had a celebration in one of the corporate boxes at AAMI Park.

“I had orange juice and the other girls had champagne.

“I don’t understand why people want my autograph ... but I’m happy to give it out.

“(Winning a title at 17) is something that you read about and is very unrealistic, but I’m thankful for it and want to keep working to create more things like that.”

Chidiac, a member of the Young Matildas, has been at Campbelltown City for six weeks and has scored 11 goals from her five matches for the State League team.

The striker’s previous experience in SA includes playing for Football Federation SA’s under-14/15 girls’ team in the Women’s Premier League in 2013 and boys’ squads at Croydon.

This year she is also training with Raiders’ under-18 boys for “a bit of a balance and higher intensity”.

“I live pretty close to Campbelltown, watched one of their games and I knew the coach as well so thought why not try.

“We want to get promoted (to the Premier League) ... and hope to make it a bigger club.”

Chidiac can drive back to Victoria this year after this week getting her P plates.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/sport/young-matilda-alex-chidiac-joins-campbelltown-city/news-story/83858996470215baea93ec8348567fdd

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Looks like we really are going to sign at least some of our MCWFC players to multi-year contracts. Nice work.

I think more multi year contracts may come in vogue and become more attractive as a selling point as the cap remains embarrassingly so low.

On 2 June 2016 at 8:10 PM, jw1739 said:

Looks like we really are going to sign at least some of our MCWFC players to multi-year contracts. Nice work.

I actually thought the league didn't allow that, as it was never done.

Anywsy I'm really pleased to see if happen.

I find myself wondering why, if the season is so short and the players just go on sabbatical to state league clubs, we don't operate a state league club too? It could be used for youth development to fill the gaps left by the players who will inevitably prefer to go off to play in the US or somesuch, while those who stay would benefit from playing together with teammates all year round, with the ensuing smoothness of play that it generates between players.

14 minutes ago, Falastur said:

I find myself wondering why, if the season is so short and the players just go on sabbatical to state league clubs, we don't operate a state league club too? It could be used for youth development to fill the gaps left by the players who will inevitably prefer to go off to play in the US or somesuch, while those who stay would benefit from playing together with teammates all year round, with the ensuing smoothness of play that it generates between players.

$.

• 3 months later...