Melbourne Football

R 4: City vs. Newcastle, Fri 30 Oct, 7.40 pm, AAMI Park

jw1739

That was seriously shit. Glad I didn't waste my time attending. Took a lot of effort not to throw something at the tv after that second half capitulation. 

My kids went to bed at half time and have to tell them the bad news in the morning - making them support both City and Carlton is almost child abuse...

• Like 5

besides leaving a huge gap for the striker to slot one home for the penalty? This guy is terrible a few fancy saves won't change that. He has allowed so many goals through this season.

Yes, it's always the keeper's fault when the opposition score a penalty. Apparently. "Fancy saves"??... If you don't know anything about goalkeeping, don't embarass yourself. To blame the keeper for tonight's insipid second half from the midfield and back four is just silly. 

• Like 2

Still obviously looks like its coming down to the fragile mentality of the players because john still can't instil belief to fight on or close out a game.

All the talk and changes made leading up to this season just makes it even more frustrating, enough cliché excuses.   

• Like 1

so you'd rather have pavlidis and velaphi? it's a no from me

Would  defiantly prefer Velaphi,  considering we could have used that Visa spot on a better outfield player,  the only thing that Sorenson has impressed be so far is that he hasn't picked up a soft tissue injury yet 

• Like 1

Would  defiantly prefer Velaphi,  considering we could have used that Visa spot on a better outfield player,  the only thing that Sorenson has impressed be so far is that he hasn't picked up a soft tissue injury yet 

Despite thinking Sorensen is a good keeper, I do think it is a valid argument that Velaphi perhaps wouldn't have done any worse and the visa spot could have been used for an outfield gun. Unfortunately our history of picking outfield guns is not great. Koren out!!

• Like 2

Velaphi wasn't available tonight. Without using the visa spot on Sorensen, Pavlidis or some equivalent nobody would have been in goals for us against the Jets.

Despite thinking Sorensen is a good keeper, I do think it is a valid argument that Velaphi perhaps wouldn't have done any worse and the visa spot could have been used for an outfield gun. Unfortunately our history of picking outfield guns is not great. Koren out!!

Exactly Sorenson defiantly has the quality but Velaphi was just as good last season and even in the FFA Cup, bar Koren and possibly Hughes ,  We have generally recruited well. Imagine having another Fornaroli or Novillo upfront instead we have wasted it on a position that didn't need improving 

Yes, it's always the keeper's fault when the opposition score a penalty. Apparently. "Fancy saves"??... If you don't know anything about goalkeeping, don't embarass yourself. To blame the keeper for tonight's insipid second half from the midfield and back four is just silly. 

Oh right so premeditating where a penalty will go before the bloke moves to take it is good keeping? Sorenson has been useless accept it, waste of a visa spot when we had perfectly fine keeper in velaphi

• Like 1

Well that was a result that we almost deserved, we were lucky it wasn't 2-4 or even 2-5. 

Positives:

First half - confident proactive football with good ball movement, good player movement off the ball.

Negatives: 

I don't know what our coaching genius did at half time, perhaps he hypnotised the players, maybe someone in the dressing room sucked the life force out of the players but the whole team from Sorensen forward with the exception of Fornaroli were flat, anxious, stiff, static, second to every ball, unable to complete a pass. It was vintage Heart/City anxiety and from about 55 minutes the result was predictable.

Perhaps 3 games in relatively quick succession had some influence but the whole team was virtually paralysed. This is not a personnel problem, its a mentality problem. We haven't played 2 halves of football since the Wellington FFA Cup game. Its the same mentality we've had the whole time barring the Aloisi era when we didn't play any good halves of football. It won't change until we have a coach that can motivate the team.

I predict a loss away to Adelaide next week as the fundamental problem with this team has not been addressed.

• Like 5

I don't understand the game like most on here but why instead of trying to hold onto the ball did we sit back and try to defend the game out. Also not that we miss him anywhere else but we miss Paartalu defending set pieces and the high ball into the box

I don't understand the game like most on here but why instead of trying to hold onto the ball did we sit back and try to defend the game out. Also not that we miss him anywhere else but we miss Paartalu defending set pieces and the high ball into the box

You understand the game better than JVS

• Like 1