Melbourne Football

The Derby Crowd

citypool

Besides for the fact that we were way outnumbered my victory fans. I woke up hearing the Herald Sun and 3AW reporting negative press about the game. 

Regardless that we lost and we have a small number of fans the game is being tarnished because of the crowd. Wondering what people thought about it. 

Edited by jw1739

Besides for the fact that we were way outnumbered my victory fans. I woke up hearing the Herald Sun and 3AW reporting negative press about the game. 

Regardless that we lost and we have a small number of fans the game is being tarnished because of the crowd. Wondering what people thought about it. 

I didn't go to the game, what happened?

Change of subject a little bit, but compared to the semi final last year at Etihad Stadium I saw much more families supporting both City and the visitors. Mainly parents were Victory supporters whereas the kids seemed to have all the city merch on.

Just an observation.

Mainly parents were Victory supporters whereas the kids seemed to have all the city merch on.

Were the parents getting in their kids faces when they scored the winner? If one of my kids supported Victory much like Nick Hornby said 1- I probably wouldnt go to games with them and if I did, they would have to pay for everything themselves and 2- If for some reason we did end up at a game together and City scored the winner in the 90th minute of the match I would rub it in their face until they cried

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 5

Going to make the obvious point that I haven't seen a football fan punch a woman yet

Never saw an AFL fan complain or cite conspiracy theories about the 2 page spread and widespread condemnation that incident got yet either. 

If any other licensed venue/festival caused as much violence as ALeague games do then it would have been shut down after its first week of operation. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

Never saw an AFL fan complain or cite conspiracy theories about the 2 page spread and widespread condemnation that incident got yet either. 

If any other licensed venue/festival caused as much violence as ALeague games do then it would have been shut down after its first week of operation. 

You young blokes! Yoof!!! Obviously you never went to the Seaview Ballroom in St kilda - took the cops about three years to shut down.

For those like me who have no links to other countries, flares are what you let off at sea when you want to be rescued. Their continued use at the football just marginalises the game from the main stream & stories of kids getting injured multiples that by 100.

(in before the flare excuses posts)

• Like 6

For those like me who have no links to other countries, flares are what you let off at sea when you want to be rescued. Their continued use at the football just marginalises the game from the main stream & stories of kids getting injured multiples that by 100.

(in before the flare excuses posts)

why hasn't anyone created crowd friendly flares yet

• Like 3

Agreed - Its a fucken joke... I am sick of PPL saying its an AFL driven agenda whenever incidents get reported when the fact is there are a bunch of certain supporters in this league that are literally deliberately planning to ruin the games image. (And I am not just talking about the irresponsible use of flares).

Some of these PPL have literally been doing as such for ten years now.

PPL need to wake up and realise that this shit is occurring and stop blaming the media for reporting it as such.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

Agreed - Its a fucken joke... I am sick of PPL saying its an AFL driven agenda whenever incidents get reported when the fact is there are a bunch of certain supporters in this league that are literally deliberately planning to ruin the games image. (And I am not just talking about the irresponsible use of flares).

Some of these PPL have literally been doing as such for ten years now.

PPL need to wake up and realise that this shit is occurring and stop blaming the media for reporting it as such.

I think it's a combination of both - no question there are idiots in the crowd, but every sport has their degree of idiots, be it AFL, NRL, cricket etc etc. The media clearly goes looking for our idiots with a lot more viger than other idiots. We just have to stop giving them ammunition and our idiots need to smarten up or piss off

• Like 4

You young blokes! Yoof!!! Obviously you never went to the Seaview Ballroom in St kilda - took the cops about three years to shut down.

Ahhh, the Seaview Ballroom...

What I'd really like to see is the visitors supporters out of the away bay. I didn't get to this derby but Mrs Bela was there and came home complaining about it, it does happen every time. The only way around it would be for MCFC to bulk purchase the away bay tickets and then give or on-sell them to our fans who are members. As long as it didn't happen at a profit it wouldn't be scalping. Alternatively we could pre-purchase away derby tickets with our season tickets. It would get rid of the bandwagoner derby day warriors.

My son is only 3 months old. He can follow any team from any sport. Except for one. He has to support City.

My son is nearly 8, with every darby he realises what dickhead supporters Victory have. I said to him about five times the other night - "that's why we support City"! 

He couldn't believe that snotty 10-12 year old from the south end giving it to the Melburnians before the game. Great parenting!

The selective reporting of incidents at soccer matches needs to stop, says Andy Maher.

It’s been reported 10 fans were kicked out of Saturday night’s A-League derby between Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City at Etihad Stadium, while several flares were let off during the game.

Maher believes the reporting is selective and that with plenty of other stories around, it shouldn’t be leading news bulletins.

“Brilliant game of football, there’s news all over the place but we decide to lead with that,” fumed Maher on SEN’s Morning Glory.

“Ten people get kicked out.

“Ok, nobody wants to see flares anymore…we understand where we sit on flares.

“But, ten people getting kicked out that’s hardly reason to lead a news item I would think.”

He believes the biased approach to reporting overshadows the amazing spectacle.

“Spectacular game of football. It was brilliant, it was compelling, great coverage again, entertaining. It was just a showpiece. It delivered and it was magnificent,” said Maher.

According to the Morning Glory host, many more people get kicked out of major sporting events and barely anything is spoken about that, yet soccer supporters seem to just cop a bad rap.

“100 people get kicked out at the Grand Final, hundreds get kicked out on Boxing Day,” he said.

“It doesn’t lead the news when that happens, that’s a footnote somewhere a couple of days after the event.

“This is selective reporting and it’s trying to paint a picture to a certain group of consumers out there about soccer in this country and it’s got to stop because it’s not fair.

“That should not have been a lead news item.”

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/10-15/andy-maher-selective-reporting-must-stop#4jtDLJYVc1LFJAHo.99

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

My son is nearly 8, with every darby he realises what dickhead supporters Victory have. I said to him about five times the other night - "that's why we support City"! 

He couldn't believe that snotty 10-12 year old from the south end giving it to the Melburnians before the game. Great parenting!

Does your mother know you're here!?

• Like 1

I would really like to know if anyone on here who knows of a large organised group of AFL supporters who has for a ten year period has on game days grouped up together with Hoods over their heads and then deliberately planned and attacked places where opposition supporters are situated to inflict physical violence.

Edited 17 hours ago by cadete

Whilst I agree with your point completely, I think the issue most people have is that the behaviour you're mentioning is often not what's making the news, but rather incidents like "9 YEAR OLD CHILD HIT BY BOTTLE AND IS HURT AT SOCCER" when, from a neutral perspective anyway, there was a pretty exciting game of football for the media to be focusing on.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

I would really like to know if anyone on here who knows of a large organised group of AFL supporters who has for a ten year period has on game days grouped up together with Hoods over their heads and then deliberately planned and attacked places where opposition supporters are situated to inflict physical violence.

Afl media lackeys make me laugh, call up neil mitchell this morning as well ? lol

Afl media lackeys make me laugh, call up neil mitchell this morning as well ? lol

Why dont you call up the Manager at The Imperial who has supported and constantly gone out of his way to assist Heart/City fans for fucken years now (Through out all the highs and lows) and see if he finds this shit as funny as you do mate? 

The fact is that you should consider yourself lucky to be able to make the smartarse remark above.

• Like 6

Whilst I agree with your point completely, I think the issue most people have is that the behaviour you're mentioning is often not what's making the news, but rather incidents like "9 YEAR OLD CHILD HIT BY BOTTLE AND IS HURT AT SOCCER" when, from a neutral perspective anyway, there was a pretty exciting game of football for the media to be focusing on.

The kid who threw the bottle got booted and is going to be reprimanded. How many people get hit by shit at the 'G on Boxing Day, I was there a few years back and someone threw a roast chicken during the Mexican wave and there wasn't nearly as much hysteria.

• Like 5

Why dont you call up the Manager at The Imperial who has supported and constantly gone out of his way to assist Heart/City fans for fucken years now (Through out all the highs and lows) and see if he finds this shit as funny as you do mate? 

The fact is that you should consider yourself lucky to be able to make the smartarse remark above.

wow don't eat him alive cadete

wow don't eat him alive cadete

Its a simple fact Strides, 

That a lot of us here dont have the privilege to pretend Soccer is unfairly targeted by the Media because we have through no choice of our own seen more than just the Tip of the Fucken Iceberg of A-League Idiots that you see in the Stadium itself.