Melbourne Football

Jess Fishlock

Murfy1

8 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Has any player (men, women, youth) ever been more important for bringing success/trophies to Melbourne City? Our greatest ever club player?

The club  has played 6 finals matches and she's scored four goals in them. Big stage player. This isn't to mention the countless regular season games she's saved us

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Has any player (men, women, youth) ever been more important for bringing success/trophies to Melbourne City? Our greatest ever club player?

Strong call. You're narrowing the field somewhat by mentioning trophies, because the men have won only one. I'd hesitate to put her ahead of Bruno and Mooy. But she's up there with them.

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Strong call. You're narrowing the field somewhat by mentioning trophies, because the men have won only one. I'd hesitate to put her ahead of Bruno and Mooy. But she's up there with them.

Mentioning trophies narrows the field for sure, but has to be taken into account when you're looking at a player's impact in my opinion. She scored many crucial goals in those finals series and I honestly don't think we'd be celebrating a 3peat (or maybe even last season's title) without her. I love Bruno and Mooy but I think Jess has had a stronger and more meaningful contribution to Melbourne City than either of them at this point.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Imo it's easy to get caught out by the much larger hype surrounding the men's game and therefore the mens side. Don't get me wrong, Mooy and Bruno are phenomenal players, and having them at City has been truly incredible. But if a player in the men's team had the same impact as Fishlock has had in the women's side there would be absolutely no question that they were the best player in the clubs history. From an objective point of view, Jess Fishlock is Melbourne City's greatest ever.

• Like 4

On 2/19/2018 at 9:31 AM, jw1739 said:

Yes I know when we mention trophies, the list of Melbourne Heart/City's greatest players immediately becomes a lot shorter lol

It should also be mentioned that Steph Catley, Aivi Luik and Rebekah Stott also completed the Threepeat. So a quartet of very strong and important players.

Nonetheless, I believe Fishlock was named player of the match in 2 of the 3 grand finals, and as @thisphantomfortress said she has scored in most of our finals matches. So in terms of being a big game player, and being directly responsible for bringing real success and trophies to the club, objectively I think we can't go past Jess Fishlock.

In terms of what they did produce and could produce at our club, then Mooy may well have been our most talented player ever. But apart from being in (and leading our team to be) the record goal scoring team, Mooy didn't happen to be in a Melbourne City team that picked up silverware.

If Bruno can help lead the Melbourne City men's team to a Championship (GF win) or a Premiership (1st),  then there's a decent argument for him being our greatest ever club player (especially given where the men's team has had to come from, and all that has to be overcome, compared with the women's team [which had a clean slate. A very good reminder of the advantages of getting stuff right the first time round]).

But at present, Fishlock is the clear winner IMO. If you have ever seen the trophy case at CFG Academy in Bundoora, then it would be understood how hugely important it has been that Fishlock and others could directly help out in filling the trophy case. All the players must walk by it all the time, and mostly thanks to Fishlock, the players can now hold their heads higher. I really hope Fishlock continues to play some role in the club going forward, as the final thing a player like her can do to help the club be more successful going forward would be to just stick around, and play some role at the club, to help inspire the next players to win even more trophies.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
20 hours ago, haz said:

I dont know how I didnt know that the GOAT liked females

If the truth be known many professional females are gay. It would be higher proportion than wider public. 

Now for me personally that's neither here nor there but after speaking to a couple older W League players its a very high number which I found interesting/intriguing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's been known for a while but she doesn't go on about it or make an issue of it. Whatever she is, I confess I rather like her!

Im happy with LGBT people, the thing I hate is when they have to be in your face about.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, haz said:

Im happy with LGBT people, the thing I hate is when they have to be in your face about.

Anyone that self-defines themselves (or anyone else for that matter) based on an immutable characteristic is generally not someone you want to know.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Anyone that self-defines themselves (or anyone else for that matter) based on an immutable characteristic is generally not someone you want to know.

One of my favourite quotes: (Which I have repeated incorrectly)

'People ask me how I feel about gays. In my opinion I accept them like spiders. They do their own thing, it doesnt bother me. But I swear if I get in my bath and one is sitting there!.....'

Edited by haz
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's been known for a while but she doesn't go on about it or make an issue of it. Whatever she is, I confess I rather like her!

She is an absolute professional, quite modest and a team player. Traits, which people with an 'old school' mindset (myself included and presumably yourself) tend to value.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...