Melbourne Football

Jess Fishlock

Murfy1

A big signing who has played a lot with Kim Little

Melbourne City player-coach role suits Wales's Jess Fishlock

13 October 2015

Wales forward Jess Fishlock says the opportunity to develop her coaching was a major lure to re-join Australian side Melbourne City on loan.

With parent club Seattle Reign having finished their season in North America, Fishlock will head down under to play in the W-League from late October.

The 28-year-old has had two previous loan spells at Melbourne Victory.

"I didn't want to go a long time without playing and I get to be there as an assistant coach," Fishlock said.

"It is something I really wanted to do, but I also feel that Melbourne City are really going to take women's football in Australia to another level.

"With their facilities and what they're now having for the ladies I wanted to be a part of that, and I wanted to help push football in the right direction."

Fishlock, who has scored 28 goals in 87 games for Wales, will combine playing with the post of assistant coach alongside head coach Joe Montemurro.

Melbourne City are part of the network of teams owned by City Football Group, which also includes Manchester City and New York City FC.

"They're basically the sister of Manchester City and New York City, and Man City are just taking over the world right now... they're all the same franchise," added Cardiff City Ladies product Fishlock.

"You see what City are doing here in England for the women and it's going to be very similar out there."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34521451

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

W-League: "We want to challenge these girls"

15 December 2015

Melbourne City FC co-captain Jess Fishlock says maintaining a challenge was the key reason behind an altered formation in Sunday’s 1-0 win over Newcastle Jets.

City ventured out from its familiar 4-3-3 set-up as Beattie Goad struck before half time to secure Melbourne City FC’s eighth win of the season.

Head coach Joe Montemurro deployed a 3-4-3 formation in Newcastle with Steph Catley and Goad pushing forward as wing-backs while Amy Jackson slotted alongside Jen Beattie and Laura Alleway in the centre of defense.

Fishlock together with Aivi Luik held down the midfield as Kim Little lead the front third in between Larissa Crummer and Lisa De Vanna

“You see that we changed formation this week because we want to play and we want to win but also we want to challenge these girls. We ask them to play out of their comfort zone to see if they can adapt,” Fishlock said at full time.

“I think they did it well in the first half and you just see in the second half that we just weren’t as switched on and credit to Newcastle. 

I felt that they had a good game plan and absolutely defended their box for their lives and we couldn’t break that down as easy as we have been in the past.”

The result proved to be the most difficult for City to date as a well organized Newcastle Jets outfit restricted the visitors to just the one goal.

Both sides entered the contest with the best defensive records in the competition, conceding three goals each after eight rounds.

Breaking down a stubborn Jets provided a new challenge for the visitors as Fishlock explained.

“The thing I you’ve always got to learn. You cant win seven our of seven or eight out of eight and think you game is perfect or everything is great because that’s not necessarily what it is.

“You’ve still got to learn different roles, different positions, different types of roles and different responsibilities. That’s what we want to get for the girls here too and for Australia, it’s all about developing and that’s what we are here to do.

"It’s good for us, we still learn, still got lots of things to learn and that’s the beauty of it."

City will return to CB Smith Reserve this Sunday, facing last year's premiers Perth Glory.

Montemurro's side secured a 4-0 win the last time the two teams met earlier in the season.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/w-league/8hr4wquy5pzs1sq8k33e3gtbg

• 1 month later...

Jess Fishlock says Melbourne City setting pace for women’s football in Australia

January 20 2016

David Davutovic

VISA star Jess Fishlock declared that ambitious Melbourne City will keep investing in women’s football next season and W-League rivals will be challenged to keep pace.

The Welsh star, who is on loan from Seattle Reign along with Kim Little, has been a key figure in the undefeated side’s run to the semi-finals after she was recruited as player-coach.

Fishlock, 29, said the focus was on Monday’s clash with Brisbane Roar to claim a spot in the grand final, but said plans were afoot to keep improving having finished with a 100 per cent record in 12 games.

“Next year clubs have a choice to make, they either catch up and try and match and invest or they don’t,’’ Fishlock said.

“That wouldn’t be helpful for the league.

“What Melbourne City have done here, and the City Group, could be the changing force in Australian women’s football and I’m extremely thankful to be a part of that.

“I’ve been shrewdly impressed with everything City have (done) and are working towards in the women’s game.’’

Fishlock has had two stints at Melbourne Victory while carving a successful career in Europe and the US, but said City was narrowing Australia’s gap with the world.

“What Melbourne City women have here, only very few clubs in the world have this facility and backing and structure. That’s a huge thing to have in Australia because no one has ever had that before,’’ she said.

“It needs a focus point as a whole. They’ve been very dedicated to the Matildas over the last two years because they’ve had the Asian Cup and World Cup and now the Olympics, so it’s understandable.

“But the future of the Matildas is built around the domestic league because that’s where they’re going to get their players from, so they need to keep pushing and developing the W-League.’’

Fishlock said Roar would be desperate to cause an upset in Monday’s curtain-raiser to the City-Wellington A-League clash.

“We don’t feel the pressure. We look on what we’ve achieved as an accomplishment but we go into the finals games with a separate mindset because it’s different,’’ Fishlock said.

“It’s up to us and our mentality. Brisbane are a good team and everyone wants to beat us but we have to be prepared for that.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/jess-fishlock-says-melbourne-city-setting-pace-for-womens-football-in-australia/news-story/6745d011c19a3247c25dc8cab3ca84db

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there's a chance Fishlock could be retained: 

City hope that Fishlock, who also worked as an assistant coach to Joe Montemurro this season, can be persuaded to come back on another loan deal.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-title-won-now-city-must-hold-on-to-stars-as-rivals-look-to-strengthen-20160201-gmiw3x.html

Also, she was asked by ABC Grandstand if she'd be back next year, and she said "I think so".

Would be a real boost, as the team plays much better when she's in it (like yesterday) than when she's not in it (like last Monday, the semi-final, when she went off injured).

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Seems Jess is back in Melbourne training with the mens team. Pretty certain she will be back. I reckon if De Vanna doesnt retire she will be back as well. 

Very interesting! I thought she wasn't coming back. Good news and glad to see they're happy to have her train with the men, a good 'one club' mindset.

2 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Very interesting! I thought she wasn't coming back. Good news and glad to see they're happy to have her train with the men, a good 'one club' mindset.

I always thought Jess would be back because she was an assistant coach last season. Seems like she is here during the olympics to work with joe. There is a photo of them both at a cafe on her instagram

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M13 said:

It might be unfair on other teams but we can offer so many fringe benefits..

Fringe benefits? 

It's just decency and common courtesy. 

Some of the stories of the treatment of some of the W League players is just wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Fringe benefits? 

It's just decency and common courtesy. 

Some of the stories of the treatment of some of the W League players is just wrong.

Which is why we are the undisputed champions.. This we do right actually

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Shahanga said:

What’s this rumour spreading that Jess is leaving and ain’t coming back? 

Say if ain’t so Jess!

@Shahanga Where did you hear or see that rumour? I was thinking that Fishlock had a career with CFG  ahead of her if she wanted it. If she goes I'll be really concerned that the swamp extends further than I thought.

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Shahanga Where did you hear or see that rumour? I was thinking that Fishlock had a career with CFG  ahead of her if she wanted it. If she goes I'll be really concerned that the swamp extends further than I thought.

Talking city boys had her bags packed and at the airport post grand final (without even mentioning how thst would be a disaster)

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Talking city boys had her bags packed and at the airport post grand final (without even mentioning how thst would be a disaster)

I wasn't even on this week, but I listened, and I could have sworn the lads discussed how heavily we rely on Jess in big moments and that it would be a massive loss if she were to go.

17 minutes ago, Embee said:

I wasn't even on this week, but I listened, and I could have sworn the lads discussed how heavily we rely on Jess in big moments and that it would be a massive loss if she were to go.

Well i guess you must be right but I remember it in two parts.

1. Some (accurate) comments about how we can’t win unless she scores

2. Some later comments about how she’s leaving and how great she’s been (but no questions as to why on earth the club is allowing that to happen and/or what is driving it). Was all very matter of fact as if it was common knowledge, which it wasn’t for me at least.

Just now, Shahanga said:

Well i guess you must be right but I remember it in two parts.

1. Some (accurate) comments about how we can’t win unless she scores

2. Some later comments about how she’s leaving and how great she’s been (but no questions as to why on earth the club is allowing that to happen and/or what is driving it). Was all very matter of fact as if it was common knowledge, which it wasn’t for me at least.

I'm pretty sure either Rodney or @thisphantomfortress stated that it was their feeling that she will leave, but not that it's stated fact. If she does leave, IMO anyway, it wouldn't be to play for another A-League club, rather that she wouldn't be coming down here during the US off-season anymore.

Jess will be 32 at this point next season, perhaps she simply doesn't wish to jump between countries during the year anymore.