Melbourne Football

City v. Jets, moved to 10 Jun, Kogarah Oval, Sydney, 7.05 p.m.

mattyh001

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

Makes us look poor champions looking at the ladder.

Thank Graham Arnold for taking the 3 best players out of our team to sit on the bench for the Socceroos.... Oh wait sorry I meant to say to help him beat powerhouse Asian teams such as Chinese tapai.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Berenguer plays like a pot head. So relaxed and timid. Waste of space.

Timid is the perfect description. Dude is a complete waste of space, has no direct impact on matches, just floats around, has a few nice touches, maybe a flick or two, then goes back to doing nothing off the ball. Waste of a visa spot this season. Should have just kept Anthony caceres, was the exact same type of player, with a bit more hustle.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Thank Graham Arnold for taking the 3 best players out of our team to sit on the bench for the Socceroos.... Oh wait sorry I meant to say to help him beat powerhouse Asian teams such as Chinese tapai.

I’m still hoping A league players will be send home early.

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I agreed with starting the best available team, now I’m regretting it.

That will teach you for arguing with Stiggsy. 

We have an after game award to announce. Is it best player? No. Is it most improved team? No. Its....

spoon.png.e068317503d0fb105f7a412533764b3f.png

Congratulations Melbourne Victory on the first of many future wooden spoons.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Games like tonight, where our midfield with 2 experienced visa players cannot distinguish themselves from a couple of Newcastle youngsters that we need to up our game next season, we need a visa match winner in that midfield. Splash the cash please.

Edited by Mr MO

A poor start to the season, a poor finish to it, but some unforgettable football in between. Despite what happened tonight we are the Premiers, and IMO we should enjoy that and look forward to a good season again next season You can't take three of our best players out for national duty and have two more who might well have gone had they been fit, and also lose Craig Noone and have a not-fully-fit Griff, and expect us to still be able to beat all-comers. Almost all our goal-scoring players were absent tonight. Substitutes such as Tilio and Cola look a million dollars when they come into a side alongside our top players, but being the "main men" is a hell of lot different.

We may just get lucky in our SF - I doubt it, but let's see. Whatever, I'm going to enjoy our Premiership and look forward to next season with high expectation.

Don't get too down.

• Like 3

Suck it Victory.  They would have been going for us,  happy when we scored,  concerned when Newcastle scored, but probably still hopeful we'd grab a winner, be stressed by our players being injured,  becoming more and more desperate for us to get that goal, shattered when Newcastle got their 2nd goal,  and then bitterly disappointed when we couldn't get a goal back,  and then realise that'd  just supported us so they could avoid coming last, but all to no avail. 

Double whammy. 

In terms of us, some strange playing decisions tonight ... on such a cold night, why risk players,  when an extra week off would make all the difference

Edited by Torn Asunder

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

A poor start to the season, a poor finish to it, but some unforgettable football in between. Despite what happened tonight we are the Premiers, and IMO we should enjoy that and look forward to a good season again next season You can't take three of our best players out for national duty and have two more who might well have gone had they been fit, and also lose Craig Noone and have a not-fully-fit Griff, and expect us to still be able to beat all-comers. Almost all our goal-scoring players were absent tonight. Substitutes such as Tilio and Cola look a million dollars when they come into a side alongside our top players, but being the "main men" is a hell of lot different.

We may just get lucky in our SF - I doubt it, but let's see. Whatever, I'm going to enjoy our Premiership and look forward to next season with high expectation.

Don't get too down.

When was the last time the premiers did not make it to the GF Jw?

Curious as to why Tsubaki didn't get a run as well as Sutton. Wondering whether the coaching staff took the opportunity to see what some of the fringier players have to offer?

The plus for me was for the first time the club built a solid starting 11 plus two decent bench players. Next season task is to keep the momentum and expand to have a full bench that can come on to replace the starting 11 without missing a bit.

We need to really look at the impact the team has taken with the players out or returning from injury. Jmac, Good, Metcalfe, Noone, Griffiths, Nabbout. 5 definite starters, Griffiths being the question mark. My first thought is well done to the coaching staff for instilling a system of play that is compelling to watch and able to be employed regardless who is playing. Secondly though, not having the more senior players, especially up front, may be starting to show. 

The way we play is good enough for the win. We dominate large periods of the game but we have struggled to have someone come up with the ability to score goals. I can't remember the last time one of our players scored outside the penalty box, or even inside the box with a well hit shot. So my only concern is who is going to step up next week for us come semi finals? Will Nabbout or Noone be fit? 

Whilst there may be some doubts,  there is more reason to hope though imo. Not just because we are top of the league or playing at home. It's finals. Do or die game for us. We haven't had that since our ccm game. I don't doubt we lost a little edge after that game. But come next Sunday I believe the finals title on the line will be enough to bring the boys minds back to that level of peak performance they had when the premiers title was in the line. I wouldn't be surprised to see a performance like we haven't seen for a while, even with the outs we have. 

• Like 3

The constant criticism of Berenguer amuses me. He was far from our worst last night but I guess he's the only whipping boy now so people have to take their frustration out on someone. In truth the midfield worked ok, at times pretty well, but they've found that the front three isn't what it used to be. We've gone from a front three that couldn't not score to one that threatens but lacks that cutting edge and the midfield has never been (especially without Metcalfe) a huge source of goals. Some nice combinations were made and the link between midfield and the forwards was there most of the night, however it's the final ball or shot that ultimately matters. Unfortunately we've almost run out of time trying to find a solution. Noone helps, but he'll be rusty by the time we actually play and Nabbout is still a big question mark. Tilio is struggling under the weight of expectation now and Colakovski lacks experience. Tsubaki is...somewhere?

I'm less confident now than I've ever been but I've come to accept that this Finals Series is going have an asterisk on it anyway. We've been robbed of three of our best players (and three players that could easily make the team of the season), one from each line on the pitch, and didn't really prepare for it too well. Or should I say we tried but couldn't come up with a robust solution. It seemed like we tried one thing, it didn't work, so we tried another thing, which didn't work that well either, and then we tried a third but it wasn't much better. On top of that injuries have meant that we couldn't trial the three that we needed to trial. Our preparation has been a mess but in large part it's been out of our control.

One last thing for me is that this team desperately needs a spark, and it should get one when they finally get to play in front of a home crowd. I still don't think we win the GF but who knows in front of a decent crowd at AAMI.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Harrison said:

The constant criticism of Berenguer amuses me. He was far from our worst last night but I guess he's the only whipping boy now so people have to take their frustration out on someone. 

FB, really is that bad a player, its just that he has some minor skill and can do a few good things every now and then. However, he literally goes missing as soon as things aren't running smoothly for us. He has zero hinger or drive, zero grit or determination. Watch him when he doesn't have the ball and you will see that he will hide behind an opposition player, when the other team breaks forward he will slowly jog back and lose his man (I think there was only one instance last night where he truly busted his ass to get back n cover). This lack of effort by him means that other players have to put in more effort and get dragged out of position resulting in more opportunities conceded to the opposition. So whilst he might have a little bit of skill and a little bit of flair his downsides heavily outweigh his upsides. It is arguable that he could be "carried" by two other more industtious players in midfield (e.g. O'Neill and Metcalfe), but he is never going to be ahead of Luna and given that his best performances are against shit clubs, I don't know why you would want to carry a player like him, when you could carry a younger player who has drive n determination and wants to fight for their position.

Championship winning teams can't have passenger players like him. You watch any good team and when they turn the ball over all but maybe 1 or 2 forwards works hard to get back and cover.

I think alot of the shit he cops is warranted. Though, I will admit that I am somewhat relentless when critiquing those who I do not think are at an acceptible level.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Wake up. Stop dreaming that we wiould wipe up the floor with Jets when they played with determination. Florin was one of the best in the losing side.

I never thought we would wipe the floor with the Jets, hence my comments in other threads about us having to take the game seriously to try and arrest our slump in form.

I also find it ironic that you seemingly praise the Jets for playing with determination (I certainly think they did and should be praised for it), but then also think the player on our team who is devoid of any determination was our B.O.G.

2 hours ago, malloy said:

FB, really is that bad a player, its just that he has some minor skill and can do a few good things every now and then. However, he literally goes missing as soon as things aren't running smoothly for us. He has zero hinger or drive, zero grit or determination. Watch him when he doesn't have the ball and you will see that he will hide behind an opposition player, when the other team breaks forward he will slowly jog back and lose his man (I think there was only one instance last night where he truly busted his ass to get back n cover). This lack of effort by him means that other players have to put in more effort and get dragged out of position resulting in more opportunities conceded to the opposition. So whilst he might have a little bit of skill and a little bit of flair his downsides heavily outweigh his upsides. It is arguable that he could be "carried" by two other more industtious players in midfield (e.g. O'Neill and Metcalfe), but he is never going to be ahead of Luna and given that his best performances are against shit clubs, I don't know why you would want to carry a player like him, when you could carry a younger player who has drive n determination and wants to fight for their position.

Championship winning teams can't have passenger players like him. You watch any good team and when they turn the ball over all but maybe 1 or 2 forwards works hard to get back and cover.

I think alot of the shit he cops is warranted. Though, I will admit that I am somewhat relentless when critiquing those who I do not think are at an acceptible level.

Well I respectfully disagree. It’s not how I saw his game last night and it’s not what I see most weeks. I think he does his fair share of defensive work but maybe this is down on last season. He does go missing and isn’t the gritty type, that’s fair. But I don’t think he hides much. I see him in good spots calling for it and in tight areas where he draws in more than one defender. 

He was also involved in a few of our better chances, either by playing the second last ball or the final ball. One was a long ball to Nabbout who just over hit the cross to Colakovski. Another was a beautiful cross to Luna, he then squared it to Tilio who couldn’t get on the end of it (maybe a lack of predatory instinct) and another late where he crossed to Atkinson who almost scored. If any of those come off then maybe the perception is different.

All in all he was good last night. Is he a very good player? No. Should we be aiming higher? Yes. Happy for us to go after someone with a lot more output next season and I really hope we do. I think we agree on that!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Well I respectfully disagree. It’s not how I saw his game last night and it’s not what I see most weeks. I think he does his fair share of defensive work but maybe this is down on last season. He does go missing and isn’t the gritty type, that’s fair. But I don’t think he hides much. I see him in good spots calling for it and in tight areas where he draws in more than one defender. 

He was also involved in a few of our better chances, either by playing the second last ball or the final ball. One was a long ball to Nabbout who just over hit the cross to Colakovski. Another was a beautiful cross to Luna, he then squared it to Tilio who couldn’t get on the end of it (maybe a lack of predatory instinct) and another late where he crossed to Atkinson who almost scored. If any of those come off then maybe the perception is different.

All in all he was good last night. Is he a very good player? No. Should we be aiming higher? Yes. Happy for us to go after someone with a lot more output next season and I really hope we do. I think we agree on that!

I disagree re the hiding, it is much more evident in tougher games. The shirking of defensive duties occurs more when the ball isn't in his immediate vicinity, he will typically slowly jog somewhere whilst a free man breaks away from him and creates another option for the opposition. 

I also question him offering himself in tight situations as i think alot of these he tends to come too close to the passer and essentially close down available space especially when he merely passes the ball back to the player who passed it to him.

I do ackowledge he is capable of one or two brilliant things a match (credit where credit is duethe ball out to Nabbout was class), but view his negatives as far outweighing these moments of brilliants (which imo occur less frequently, if at all, against better teams).

Even if the one or two things you mentioned came off last night, I am not sure my opinion of him would change, rather just my view of his petformance. For my opinion to change he would really have to go the way of Jamo and drastically change his performances.

Yes I agree with your questions and responses in your last paragraph.

Any way, I accept that we are at an impasse on this matter.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, malloy said:

I disagree re the hiding, it is much more evident in tougher games. The shirking of defensive duties occurs more when the ball isn't in his immediate vicinity, he will typically slowly jog somewhere whilst a free man breaks away from him and creates another option for the opposition. 

I also question him offering himself in tight situations as i think alot of these he tends to come too close to the passer and essentially close down available space especially when he merely passes the ball back to the player who passed it to him.

I do ackowledge he is capable of one or two brilliant things a match (credit where credit is duethe ball out to Nabbout was class), but view his negatives as far outweighing these moments of brilliants (which imo occur less frequently, if at all, against better teams).

Even if the one or two things you mentioned came off last night, I am not sure my opinion of him would change, rather just my view of his petformance. For my opinion to change he would really have to go the way of Jamo and drastically change his performances.

Yes I agree with your questions and responses in your last paragraph.

Any way, I accept that we are at an impasse on this matter.

It’s very simple, this was also the case when I was still playing. It can be deceiving sometimes and hard to notice. There are players out there who are pretending to put effort in, he runs with his man but doesn’t stick his leg out or only does it halfarsed. Florin is one of these players, Luna is on the other scale. 

Going forward he would do himself a big favour if the could finish a goal for once, like this lob ball last night. Or if finally players starting to score from the assists. This would make this discussion so much easier.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/06/2021 at 6:08 PM, neio said:

Nabbout starts, Cola starts. Nat on the bench 

20210610_180735.jpg

Just for the record this was our Grand final winning team with Nabbout Atkinson change, and after that loss who would have thought.......

FWIW my first post GF and I still can't believe weve did it. 

• Like 1