Melbourne Football

Round 1 | Sydney FC V Melbourne City | Allianz Stadium | 7:30PM Saturday 10th of October 2015

Jimmy

Feels good to finally see these threads again.

I will be disappointed if we lose this match but then again this team disappoints me often. I am looking toward to seeing if our improved attitude and hunger in pre-season continues in competitive aleague matches.

Edited by Kinnibari
  • Like 1

Well I do think the A League and MLS need to get in line with most countries and postpone games when people are called up for internationals The A League in particular is a short season, so it would make sense to not schedule games when the International team is playing. That way the fans get to see the best players for their team.

Are Sydney missing any players?

Also can someone post a season schedule on the forum?

Well I do think the A League and MLS need to get in line with most countries and postpone games when people are called up for internationals The A League in particular is a short season, so it would make sense to not schedule games when the International team is playing. That way the fans get to see the best players for their team.

Nah there's a reason why that cant happen. The a-league loses like 4 maybe 5 players at best, big deal.

JVS to comprehensively out coach Arnie whilst being without Mooy. Champagne Dutch football the supporters will yell. He will then come on the forum create a username such as 'JVS is the best' and proceed to bully everyone who ever mentioned the great mans name in vain on this forum.......

or more likely a turgid draw or unlucky loss.

• Like 2

It's not only full internationals, it's also under-age competitions. Also training camps for all national teams. Any club with a good squad (senior and junior) could lose players 5-6 times each season.

I completely agree with you. If we ever expand the league then the season has to be lengthened. If the game is to grow in this country sooner or later this has to happen, so we might as well bite the bullet now. I agree that there's no point in taking on the AFL and NRL at the business end of their seasons (but in saying that I point out that there have been some good crowds for some FFA Cup matches, demonstrating that the codes can, in fact, be played concurrently), but I can't see any problem extending the business end of ours.

The season's fixtures are here: http://melbournefootball.com/melbourne-city-fixtures-2015-2016/

• Like 1

Aaron Mooy could be shock starter for Melbourne City in A-League opener following Socceroos match

OCTOBER 5, 2015

David Davutovic

AARON Mooy could be a shock Round 1 inclusion for Melbourne City, less than 29 hours after finishing a Socceroos match over 14,000 kilometres away.

The midfielder is expected to start for the Socceroos in their crunch World Cup qualifier away to Jordan on Friday morning, before making a whirlwind dash from the Middle East to Sydney.

City officials are attempting to upgrade Mooy from business to first class for the Dubai-Sydney leg, in a bid to have him available for Saturday night’s opener away to Sydney FC.

The flight is due to touch down in Sydney at 7am Saturday, just over 12 hours before the match kicks off.

Coach John van’t Schip and his football staff will monitor Mooy’s Socceroos output before making a call, but City’s new marquee is notes for his professionalism and it’s understood they give him every chance of backing up, even if he plays 90 minutes for Australia.

Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou singled out Mooy, who’s just returned from knee surgery, for backing up away to Tajikistan just five days after starting against Bangladesh in Perth.

“He (Mooy) was my worry, I was questioning whether to start him again because the A-League hasn’t started yet so I don’t think he’s match fit, but all the sort of monitoring we’re doing, he looked pretty good and recovered pretty well,’’ Postecoglou said.

“He was good, he’d just come back into the fold. He hasn’t really been involved with us too much.

“We give the guys a lot of information and that’s part of the trick of being a good international footballer — your ability to receive information and put it into practice and I thought he did really well. That’s probably the biggest gains we’ve had, the new players that have come into it, it gives us some real options now.’’

City defender Aaron Hughes is away with Northern Ireland, who can qualify for euro 2016 when they face Greece and Finland.

Ivan Franjic and Harry Novillo headline an extensive injury list that includes Corey Gamerio, Ben Garuccio and James Brown.

Former Western Sydney midfielder Steve Kuzmanovski will return from Young Socceroos duty in time, but it remains to be seen whether van’t Schip will include him.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/aaron-mooy-could-be-shock-starter-for-melbourne-city-in-a-league-opener-following-socceroos-match/story-fnk6pqhd-1227558141367

• Like 1

A draw would be a great result, even if Mooy does play (which imo, would be silly but I'll leave it to the medical staff)

Starting to agree that Hughes is a wasted Visa signing, he's barely played for us pre-season and is already missing the first game with Northern Ireland. Chapman is probably good enough to step up and start regularly alongside Paddy with Hughes the wise, experienced back-up (ala Sorenson for Velaphi)

It would appear that Zullo and Kuzi will be back in the line up, with an underdone Melling and Williams also a chance to feature.

Given our conservative approach to the pre season, I'd suggest Mooy is unlikely to play 90 but the key will be whether he starts or comes off the pine.

The keeper spot is a genuine 50-50 and I'm curious to see Sorensen given all the pre season games I went to featured Tando.

So IMO, we'll run something like this:

Sorensen/Velaphi

Retre     Chapman  Kisnorbo    Zullo

Paartalu

Koren.       Mooy/Trifiro

Dekker.          Fornaroli.         Kuzi 

SUBS Sorensen/ Velaphi   Trifiro/Mooy     Mauk.    Richardson.     Williams (Espindola if Williams isn't deemed fit)

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

It would appear that Zullo and Kuzi will be back in the line up, with an underdone Melling and Williams also a chance to feature.

Given our conservative approach to the pre season, I'd suggest Mooy is unlikely to play 90 but the key will be whether he starts or comes off the pine.

The keeper spot is a genuine 50-50 and I'm curious to see Sorensen given all the pre season games I went to featured Tando.

Sorensen/Velaphi

Paartalu

SUBS Sorensen/ Velaphi   Trifiro/Mooy     Mauk.    Richardson.     Williams (Espindola if Williams isn't deemed fit)

Given that JVS article where he said Sorenson was 'rusty', I wouldn't be surprised to see Velaphi start.

Hope Mooy isn't rushed back too soon and then injured. 

The way I sort of see it. Zinni Dekker then Espindola.(in that order). Although Dekker I think can play #9 and wide and Zinni more of a genuine winger. Espindola from what I've seen probably won't get into many squads unless we cop multiple injuries. Not sure about Kuzi due to his national duties. But all of them are definitely talented be interesting to see if any of them can demand a selection once Novillo and Gamiero are available similar to Melling last season.  If so then that you really lift the level of the squad. 

All I'm hoping is that JVS isn't taking safe options regarding to how we set up and attacks things boldly. His selection and way he approaches this week will indicate his mindset.

Aaron Mooy could be shock starter for Melbourne City in A-League opener following Socceroos match

OCTOBER 5, 2015

David Davutovic

City officials are attempting to upgrade Mooy from business to first class for the Dubai-Sydney leg, in a bid to have him available for Saturday night’s opener away to Sydney FC.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/aaron-mooy-could-be-shock-starter-for-melbourne-city-in-a-league-opener-following-socceroos-match/story-fnk6pqhd-1227558141367

This hasn't already been happening?

• Like 1

Socceroos get business class. I think what they will do is try get him one of those air beds they have in Etihad flights.

if it were heart they would have told him to catch the bus

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

It's not just about physical health. It shows desperation and puts too much pressure on a player. 

He might be the one desperate to play.

IMO, he can get through it no problems at all, he's a professional athlete.

Hell I played full games of footy on Saturday's, followed by full games of Soccer on Sunday's this season and as Embee can vouch, I'm no physically superior specimen.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

Sorensen/Velaphi

Paartalu

I'd have Mauk ahead of Trifiro, but have Trifiro also on the bench as a possible sub for Paartalu.

Also not sure how close Gameiro is...

But otherwise pretty close i think.

He might be the one desperate to play.

IMO, he can get through it no problems at all, he's a professional athlete.

Hell I played full games of footy on Saturday's, followed by full games of Soccer on Sunday's this season and as Embee can vouch, I'm no physically superior specimen.

You've certainly seen better days mate

mazlineconz_1475.jpg

Socceroos get business class. I think what they will do is try get him one of those air beds they have in Etihad flights.

if it were heart they would have told him to catch the bus

FWIW, it would be an Emirates flights if it's going through Dubai (Etihad goes through Abu Dhabi).

First class would (depending on plane) most likely be a 'closed suite', but yeah it would basically give him a better opportunity to rest/sleep.

It would be a lot of money for the socceroos to fly first class always, plus there aren't enough seats anyway (8-12 seats max per flight). Business seems reasonable.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1