Melbourne Football

Memberships 2015-16

Red or Dead

Mine arrived, I was annoyed because I got a email saying a package had arrived and I was hoping it was something else... at least I can get the drinks special at The Gimp again which I was not getting after my Wallet was stolen.

I have not had my wallet stolen but I can't imagine the trauma you went through 

Really solid effort all things considered. Reckon we'll get more sign ups than last year from this point as our first home game is rnd 3. Wasn't the Jets opening game in rnd 1 last year?

No, in 2014-15 our first home game was v. Newcastle in Round 2. 19th October.

Seriously though, can the club make up it's mind. You either say it's a new club that started last year or you accept the past. Seems half the time they are denying Melbourne Heart ever existed, then the other half they're trying to claim the history when it suits them. Eg wtf is this 6 year member thing I received, it is a nice touch for foundation members of Melbourne Heart but it just seems strange given the club has gone out of it's way to distance itself from the Melbourne heart days. Nor does it feel like I've been a member of Melbourne City for 6 years (because I haven't).

• Like 2

Seriously though, can the club make up it's mind. You either say it's a new club that started last year or you accept the past. Seems half the time they are denying Melbourne Heart ever existed, then the other half they're trying to claim the history when it suits them. Eg wtf is this 6 year member thing I received, it is a nice touch for foundation members of Melbourne Heart but it just seems strange given the club has gone out of it's way to distance itself from the Melbourne heart days. Nor does it feel like I've been a member of Melbourne City for 6 years (because I haven't).

Don't think the club ever tried to claim that MCFC is a different entity from MHFC. They're trying to paper over the change of colours treating it as about as minor a change as when teams change their away kits, in order to try to reduce the opposition to the move by pretending it never even happened, but they never said that Melbourne City was a different entity, and I'm certain that they never wanted it to be thought of that way. 

Remember that CFG blooded themselves in football club management in England and their management style is essentially English. In England, the concept of franchising teams and of replacing a team with a new entity simply doesn't exist. Teams do change names, but they are always, always considered to be the same team as the original. Even when the owners of Wimbledon F.C. moved the team to Milton Keynes and renamed them the MK Dons, they tried to claim continuity and we're only forced to relinquish it when a court of law ruled that they had violated their obligation to serve the community by moving away from the team's home territory. 

• Like 1

My take on it is pretty much the same as Falastur's. They've taken a middle road, both with the nature of the changes and the timing of those changes. IMO they have been largely successful as evidenced by the improvement in season ticket sales over the old Heart days. In retrospect it was a sound move to downplay the Heart days whilst the changes in name and colours were taking place, and then, once those changes were made and largely settled down, to continue to recognise the club's heritage.

I'd be most upset if my Foundation Membership of Melbourne Heart was no longer recognised. Just as I would if my employer changed the company name and logo and I suddenly found that my years of service under the old name didn't count any more.

• Like 1

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

Do we get these for free if we are members?

Why would they block it and why should you be happy that they didn't say that our history doesn't exist? It should be expected.

People acting like the club is doing them a favor with anything red drive me up the wall. It's so defeatist. 

Yes, they are doing them a favour. CFG took over and wish to promote their brand so it wouldn't have surprised me had all the redness in these cards been rejected. I think it's a nice gesture from CFG to allow us to keep some of our history.

Why would they block it and why should you be happy that they didn't say that our history doesn't exist? It should be expected.

People acting like the club is doing them a favor with anything red drive me up the wall. It's so defeatist. 

Seriously mate but the war was fought (poorly) and inevitably lost in a quick and efficient manner quite like the "6 Day War", I know for a fact even less of Heart will be around in the New Club this Season and this pattern will continue in each of the following seasons.

Edited by cadete

Why so early?

It's for the first four games only, not flexi like last season. They aren't going to be blockbuster games, versing Mariners, Jets, WSW and Glory, but they are ones we should win.

Guess it's like a taster membership for fence-sitters, new-comers or old fans who don't wanna fork out for a full membership to see "same shit different jersey etc". Sounds like a good idea tbh, especially if they chase up everyone after the 4 games, and offer a rest-of-season membership. This is probably why it isn't flexible.

Dunno why people don't like it.

Edited by bellydrum
  • Like 2

It's for the first four games only, not flexi like last season. They aren't going to be blockbuster games, versing Mariners, Jets, WSW and Glory, but they are ones we should win.

Guess it's like a taster membership for fence-sitters, new-comers or old fans who don't wanna fork out for a full membership to see "same shit different jersey etc". Sounds like a good idea tbh, especially if they chase up everyone after the 4 games, and offer a rest-of-season membership. This is probably why it isn't flexible.

Dunno why people don't like it.

I think it's a good idea, I just don't like how it's counted as a membership and inflates our numbers so we can't get an actual idea of how many supporters we have.

I think it's not a bad idea, the club has signed up most the definites up for the season already. Now this might attract some of the people who are unsure, then after 4 games they can throw them a discounted full membership (eg taking the price of 4 games off full membership cost). 

• Like 1

I don't mind the 4 game membership but definitely not a true figure of our membership count. I wouldn't count them in the membership count. A member for me is one who purchases a full season membership before our first home game.

Agreed. For the record, the count was 7,022 before the new packages became available. Any further comparisons with previous seasons are meaningless because it is no longer "apples with apples." The club would have the breakdown of all the various different grades of membership, but we don't.

I dont really care what they do to sell tickets or memberships, just as long as they dont gloat about having 2000004234 members when only 8000 are at a game like the AFL clubs do. 

Best comparison would be revenue from memberships. 

Edited by hedaik