Melbourne Football

2015/16 Season Predictions

Dylan

So since our squad is pretty much complete its time to make some predictions.

- Starting XI and bench at the start of the season

- Starting XI and bench at the end of the season

- Where will we finish 

- How far into the finals

Here are mine.

Season start XI (when fully fit)

Sorenson

Franjic    Chapman Huges    Zullo

Paartalu

Mooy      Koren

Novillo            Tuna                Gamerio

Tando Zinni Retre Melling Kisnorbo

Season end XI

Sorenson

Franjic    Chapman  Hughes     Zullo

Melling

Mooy         Koren

Novillo               Tuna                Gamerio

Tando Garrucio Mauk Retre Kuzaminovski

I think we will finish 6th again and lose first final

JVS to be finally gone. 

Edited by jw1739
Shorten title

Like I've said before, the team that takes the Premiership will need 52+ points to do so, meaning we need to improve on last season by 18 points or six wins. With five under-performing seasons on the board, I'm not confident we can do that. We are already riddled with injuries, and with one or two players likely to be called for international duties I don't think we will have our best players available for enough matches to secure a top 4 finish. Regrettably I suspect that Dylan is close to the mark, and we will finish 5th or 6th, but perhaps closer to 4th than before - still a big task because, remember, we were 4 wins behind Wellington in 4th place. Finals are a complete lottery so no prediction there.

Hard call mainly as jw1739 points out we are already starting the pre-season with 9 players injured. Some who have had no updates as to their status for quite some time. I expect that the top four to be hotly contested by MV, Syd, MCFC and AU. I don't believe that there will be more than five points between first and fourth with the final places determined in the last round. Certainly a finish outside the top four should be unacceptable and a new coach be found if that is the case. What I do expect to see is that MCFC wins at least one derby and draws the other two as a minimum. I don't expect any losses to the Jets, the Roar, or CCM.

My predictions will come closer to round 1, but my expectations right now are as follows 

- must make it to last 4 of FFA cup 

- must qualify for a home final preferably finishing top 2

- qualify for the champions league 

I've bolded the last point because I think this is my biggest goal as a member, to have quality games mid week and having a real hot crack at the champions league every yearyear

• Like 1

My predictions will come closer to round 1, but my expectations right now are as follows 

I've bolded the last point because I think this is my biggest goal as a member, to have quality games mid week and having a real hot crack at the champions league every yearyear

So glad I'm not the only one. As nice as winning the A-League would be, I'm more interested in seeing us play in Asia. 

Edited by Blackout

I am actually very optimistic about this season.

I believe we will definitely finish in the top three and could possibly win the league.

The 3 top teams will be the Tards, Sydney and us. I think Adelaide may struggle with the manager leaving.

We have strengthened our squad, which should enable us to deal with injuries and international call ups.

• Like 2

Last four of FFA Cup is too conservative I think, I will be disappointed if we don't make the final. Really I want us to start the season aggressively by winning it. 

I agree that our list is very good and we have depth across most lines, maybe midfield might be a weakness. But I think we can't overlook what the others have done in the offseason. The Tards will be up there again, Sydney have a good list. I wouldn't right Perth off, especially after what they did last season prior to cap scandal. Adelaide I think will be a better team this year. So I'm basically thinking we'll finish 5th. 

Tards

Sydney

Perth

Adelaide

City

the rest.

I agree that our list is very good and we have depth across most lines, maybe midfield might be a weakness. But I think we can't overlook what the others have done in the offseason. The Tards will be up there again, Sydney have a good list. I wouldn't right Perth off, especially after what they did last season prior to cap scandal. Adelaide I think will be a better team this year. So I'm basically thinking we'll finish 5th. 

Tards

Sydney

Perth

Adelaide

City

the rest.

If we don't finish above Perth then JVS will be gone.

I don't think Adelaide will be as good as last year because of the manager going.

• Like 1

If we don't finish above Perth then JVS will be gone.

I don't think Adelaide will be as good as last year because of the manager going.

Also their CEO Michael Petrillo resigned today. Must be something amiss there as well I'd say. Nevertheless they have a very attack-minded philosophy and they will be a strong test for us.

Let me break down how the season will go from here on out real quick:

We will sign a guest player, most likely Pirlo.

There will be a significant spike in memberships.

We will be in the top 3 at the halfway point in the season.

We will end the season in a lower position than the position we had at the halfway point, but we will still make finals.

We won't win the grand final.

We won't make the grand final.

People will say the squad isn't good enough

People will think we have an unusually high number of injuries even when it's within normal limits.

• Like 1

Let me break down how the season will go from here on out real quick:

We will sign a guest player, most likely Pirlo.

There will be a significant spike in memberships.

We will be in the top 3 at the halfway point in the season.

We will end the season in a lower position than the position we had at the halfway point, but we will still make finals.

We won't win the grand final.

We won't make the grand final.

People will say the squad isn't good enough

People will think we have an unusually high number of injuries even when it's within normal limits.

This, plus losing the FFA Cup final. Probably in extra time.