Melbourne Football

Thomas Sorensen

Murfy1

• 4 weeks later...

‘It’s been great coming here’: Thomas Sorensen talks Abu Dhabi, Denmark’s failures and life at Melbourne City

Osman Samiuddin

May 19, 2016

The former Sunderland, Aston Villa and Denmark goalkeeper was in Abu Dhabi for a special coaching session with children of the City Football Schools. He is currently playing for Melbourne City in Australia’s A-League. He spoke to The National about football in Australia, Leicester City’s title win and Denmark’s national side.

How has the experience been at Melbourne City so far?

I didn’t know too much about it. I had the briefing from Manchester City but I thought the project they are trying to establish down there is great for the club and for the city. I thought I could play an important role there with my experience and everything.

It’s been a great first year. I think we’ve come a long way, the way we’ve played, the goals we’ve scored. It’s been very attractive. We just lost out in the semi-finals [4-1 to Adelaide United] which was very disappointing but overall, I think it’s been a huge progression from the years before. Next year the main target is to win the championship.

What have you made of the level of football in Australia?

It certainly surprised me. There are a lot of good players there. There are obviously limitations there as well with the size of the squads and the salary cap. It makes the squads a bit thin but in general, all the teams put out their full-strength sides. The level is not that of the English Premier League but it’s like the Championship maybe. I think I’ve seen some quality goals, some quality play and some outstanding players this season. I’ve been impressed definitely.

How shocked were you by Leicester’s title win this season?

I think everyone has been shocked. They’ve come from nowhere. Nobody expected them to be anywhere near the top six, so for them to run away with it by 10 points, it’s a massive surprise. But you know it’s a great story as well. It’s a great inspiration to all sportspeople around the world that anything is possible if you put in the right amount of effort and dedication and teamwork. It’s possible. It’s great for football in general.

Do you think it can be repeated? It seems like such a one-off right now but can it happen again in other leagues too?

I’m sure we will see it again. I don’t think you’ll see it very often. They don’t happen very often and I don’t expect Leicester to repeat it next year for sure because, there will be a different expectation. Plus it’s always great, you see it in all sorts of sports, there are always surprises. Those are the stories that become legend and people will be talking about centuries from now. It’s part of sport.

Denmark didn’t qualify for the Euros this summer. What do you think of the team right now and do you think they can make it to the next World Cup?

I think they’re not far off. They’ve been sadly missing a prolific striker. [Nicklas] Bendtner has been doing the job in previous years. Now with him not playing at club level it’s been catching up with him. There isn’t really anyone to replace him at the moment. They were so close, had it in their hands during the group stages.

The main difference with Sweden in the play-offs was they had [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic. We probably had the best team, probably played the best football but he made the difference. That’s been their downfall. Hopefully someone will pop up or Bendtner will get back to his best. They’ll be OK, I’m sure they’ll have a great chance to qualify for the next World Cup.

How has your time been in Abu Dhabi over the past couple of days?

It’s been great coming down here. I was down here last year. It’s a great set up for the kids. Great to see the enthusiasm and for me, to come in, and just hopefully give them some inspiration that they can take away in the years to come, that is great. Obviously I worked a bit more with goalkeepers and gave them some pointers, some tips. It’s overall just great to see how enthusiastic they are, how hard they are working towards becoming better players. If I can make a tiny difference that is why I am here.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/its-been-great-coming-here-thomas-sorensen-talks-abu-dhabi-denmarks-failures-and-life-at-melbourne-city

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

http://outside90.com/thomas-sorensen-football-world-has-noticed-cahills-aleague-move-351/

The football world has noticed Cahill’s A-League move – Outside90

Veteran goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen has joined the chorus praising Tim Cahill’s move to Melbourne City,  saying the transfer has further shone the spotlight on the increasingly popular A-League.

Like Cahill, 40-year-old Sorensen is a seasoned football veteran, plying his trade for Sunderland and Stoke City, including a shared period in the Premier League while the Socceroo was at Everton.

Tim Cahill: Asia interest could not have stopped me joining Melbourne City

Both have now found themselves in the A-League, for the most part an unknown in the global football landscape.

But Cahill’s signing, Sorensen says, has been noticed worldwide, with players from his native Denmark expressing interest in the 11-year-old league.

“It’s just great to have him here,” Sorensen said.

“He’s here with an intention, with a motivation … he’s wants to win stuff and he wants to contribute.

“It builds the A-League. It’s not just us, obviously it’s great for us if we can get more fans in.

“But it’s great for the A-League. It’s getting noticed not just in Australia but getting noticed everywhere else.

“The A-League is mentioned and when I speak to people back in Denmark… a couple of years ago, no one knew about the A-League and now, everyone is taking notice and players want to come here.

“It’s only going to be great long term. Tim is just the first part and hopefully there’s more to come.”

Cahill has signed a three-year deal with City, with the final year in a coaching role. He will wear the no.17 shirt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'll probably be unpopular for saying this...but I'm leaning towards the view that Tommy is past it now. I was unimpressed with him at the tail-end of last season, and IMO is being beaten far too easily so far this pre-season, especially from set pieces.

Agree. We need someone better someone different. Maybe someone not human, a mythological creature with ten arms and four legs  that can jump and save us from the defensive recruitment and mediocrity of John Vant Schip. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'll probably be unpopular for saying this...but I'm leaning towards the view that Tommy is past it now. I was unimpressed with him at the tail-end of last season, and IMO is being beaten far too easily so far this pre-season, especially from set pieces.

I don't know if he's past it, but he's certainly approaching that territory. I don't trust Bouzanis as a number 1, so we need to start looking at keepers for next season now. *cough* bring back Tando *cough*

30 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I don't know if he's past it, but he's certainly approaching that territory. I don't trust Bouzanis as a number 1, so we need to start looking at keepers for next season now. *cough* bring back Tando *cough*

Going to side with Sorensen here.

With our defence, we concede so many shots on goal and Sorensen is constantly under pressure. Unfortunately a GK is only as good as the defence in front of him. 

He was a top four GK last season and probably will be again this season. Offer him a GK coaching position for 17/18 whilst being a reserve keeper so he can mentor our new keepers.

It's widely accepted that Bouzanis is garbage in goals.

Would like us to have a crack at Oldfield (I think that's his name) from Hume, and turn him into one of ours if he has his citizenship. 

You can see the benefits that Victory are now getting having brought Lawrence Thomas through.

8 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Going to side with Sorensen here.

With our defence, we concede so many shots on goal and Sorensen is constantly under pressure. Unfortunately a GK is only as good as the defence in front of him. 

He was a top four GK last season and probably will be again this season. Offer him a GK coaching position for 17/18 whilst being a reserve keeper so he can mentor our new keepers.

It's widely accepted that Bouzanis is garbage in goals.

Would like us to have a crack at Oldfield (I think that's his name) from Hume, and turn him into one of ours if he has his citizenship. 

You can see the benefits that Victory are now getting having brought Lawrence Thomas through.

Interesting that you name Chris Oldfield. He starred in a pre-season match against Port Melbourne several seasons ago in the Heart days - I remember talking to John Didulica about him and JD singing his praises. Alistair Bray was another 'keeper who seemed likely to make it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nate said:

wtf did Sorenson do wrong today lol, kept a clean sheet while he was on and saved a certain goal that came about because of Josh Rose's schoolboy backpass 

MOTM

... bouzanis made the most crucial 1v1 save bromigo. sorenson is a pretender. last season's clean sheet record proves it. tando had more clean sheets with a worse squad/defense. 

stats dont lie

6 hours ago, n i k o said:

Unbelievable that Sorenson is being used as a scapegoat for the ineptitude of JVS choosing below average defenders  

This. Just rewatched the incident. That was incredibly good goalkeeping by Sorensen and incredibly bad luck it rebounded onto his arm. Certain goal saved.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, n i k o said:

Unbelievable that Sorenson is being used as a scapegoat for the ineptitude of JVS choosing below average defenders  

Out of likes. But i remeber the same thing happened to Paddy K at the start of last season. Then by the end he was being hailed as a hero by the same people who were blaming him for our shitty start.

Its never JVS' fault remember?

"Its only the off season guys. The fact we are leaking goals doesnt matter because these games dont count for anything..." etc etc

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

We kept a clean sheet yesterday, if I didn't know the score I'd think we let in 5 reading this thread. 

Agree. I said it in another post but the only thing that's a negative is that Sorenson is out of an important game next week. If we were playing a Newcastle or CCM it wouldn't be as much of an issue. That's my view of it anyway. 

20 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Shit logic. we should not analyse our players because we won ?

Our weaknesses in this match will be expose x5 next weekend 

That's not the point I'm making at all. I shouldn't be surprised that this has gone over the head of somebody who doesn't know how to use the word "literally" though.

• Like 1