Melbourne Football

Thomas Sorensen

Murfy1

23 hours ago, Shahanga said:

That never made sense to me when you have a visa spot tied up.

Yeah, there's definitely that aspect. There's also the other issue that Sorensen didn't actually do anything wrong to find himself on the bench in the first place. He was red carded and suspended for covering for a teammate's blunder, sacrificing himself for the good of the team and helping to preserve the win (Bouzanis was also excellent when he came on in Round 1, it must be said).

So sure, City could have kept Bouzanis in favour of Sorensen, either to give him a few games of experience (say, up to six, spread over the course of the season), or they could have kept him in the starting position, until he had a howler of a game. He's had a few of those, yet he remained, with Sorensen staying in the apparent doghouse, for God knows what reason. I can't remember a game this season where I've gone away thinking "Gee, it's lucky we had Bouzanis between the sticks, rather than Sorensen." And that's because Sorensen is simply a better keeper and because he's also the natural leader that we need to marshal our inexperienced and limited defenders.

It's just been a baffling decision to keep him on the bench, getting splinters, when there was no good reason for it. You make a decision for the future when you're anchored to the bottom of the table and going nowhere fast, not when you should be competing for premierships/championships. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

There has been no logic to Sorenson sitting on the bench. He should have been paid of at Xmas if he wasn't first choice, and we could have used the visa slot on an outfield player. Once again the CFG heirarchy have been guilty at letting things slide at this club.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

It is frustrating how they couldnt even do a nice speach for sorensen after the game. For what he did at city. He deserves every respect he gets.

We should make a banner next season thanking sorensen. Just give him a smaller head then aaron mooys banner

Edited by xXCiTyZeNXx
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

It is frustrating how they couldnt even do a nice speach for sorensen after the game. For what he did at city. He deserves every respect he gets.

We should make a banner next season thanking sorensen. Just give him a smaller head then aaron mooys banner

Apart from a report quoting Valkanis, is there any actual confirmation of Sorensen's departure? There's nothing on his Twitter. Not that I doubt it, but it's always best to get something "official."

Edited by jw1739

• 3 weeks later...

All we know is the statement by Valkanis and that TS is doing a coaching course at CFA along with Cahill. He's done coaching with juniors in Abu Dhabi on at least one occasion, so it looks as though he's lined up for some sort of coaching role within City Football Group, but there's no definite information.

The club seems to be in snooze mode as far as A-League matters go, except for the membership department.

I suspect they are holding off on announcing his retirement until he's completed his badges, so they can announce his coaching appointment at the same time.

In that way its ensuring they are having one press release on Sorensen, rather than two.

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

I suspect they are holding off on announcing his retirement until he's completed his badges, so they can announce his coaching appointment at the same time.

In that way its ensuring they are having one press release on Sorensen, rather than two.

Is it that simple to get coaching badges - a few days in a classroom? Sounds a bit like going to a week-long OHS course and getting a diploma at the end of it. Shop stewards used to do that and were forever a pain in the arse thereafter - calling everything a "safety issue."

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Is it that simple to get coaching badges - a few days in a classroom? Sounds a bit like going to a week-long OHS course and getting a diploma at the end of it. Shop stewards used to do that and were forever a pain in the arse thereafter - calling everything a "safety issue."

No idea tbh. I imagine that they could have started elements of it months ago though and are now just going through the intensive one-on-one stuff now.

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The FFA "C" license takes one week. And as far as I know, the highest level you can coach with it is NPL u/18s.