Melbourne Football

Thomas Sorensen

Murfy1

7 hours ago, Embee said:

Bouzanis isn't as bad as he's made out to be but last night was yet another example of what a top level goal-keeper can do for you.

Tommy made some crucial saves and helped turn what could have very easily been a loss into a credible draw. If we're serious about trying to make any noise in the finals he needs to start for the rest of the season. Aside from possibly Vukavic he's the best keeper in the league.

Slightly off topic: I think it's a really tough call for Vukovic v Theo for the best keeper in the league this season. Vukovic will get the nod, I'm sure (nine goals against speaks for itself), but I think Vukovic has generally been steady, while Theo has regularly been spectacular (not one of his better games last night, though he wasn't terrible).

17 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Slightly off topic: I think it's a really tough call for Vukovic v Theo for the best keeper in the league this season. Vukovic will get the nod, I'm sure (nine goals against speaks for itself), but I think Vukovic has generally been steady, while Theo has regularly been spectacular (not one of his better games last night, though he wasn't terrible).

Definitely not Theo,  he has cost them points on at least 4 occasions I think 

IMO it's been Vukovic then daylight then Izzo (he has been brilliant in an average side) , then chuck a blanket over the rest 

1 minute ago, neio said:

Definitely not Theo,  he has cost them points on at least 4 occasions I think 

IMO it's been Vukovic then daylight then Izzo (he has been brilliant in an average side) , then chuck a blanket over the rest 

Difficult to not put Liam Reddy in the mix tbh. He's had a good season so far, particularly against us. Agree on the Izzo point, he's really impressed me this year

Sorensen intends to usurp Bouzanis
Clement Tito

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/sorensen-intends-to-usurp-bouzanis--451464

But he is now determined to make the decision for Michael Valkanis as hard as possible once his teammate finishes serving suspension

Bouzanis cemented his place in the squad under former coach John van’t Schip, who resigned for personal reasons in January, and elected to go with the Aussie over the EPL-experienced Sorensen in Round 2 as the Dane was sent off in Round 1 against Wellington Phoenix.

Sorensen has played three games this season after being recalled twice when he was sent off against the Nix.

Bouzanis suffered a rib injury in the 1-1 draw against Western Sydney Wanderers and the offensive slur towards Besart Berisha in the Melbourne Derby earned him a five-match suspension.

Sorensen will continue in goals as Bouzanis watches in the stands.

The Dane turns 41 in June but said departing did not cross his mind after becoming second-choice in van’t Schip and Valkanis’ plans.

“I’ve always been committed to what we’re trying to achieve here, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed,” Sorensen said.

“I spent a couple of weeks, disappointed and unhappy but again that’s not what I’m about. I’m a team player and I was there to support Dean all the way through. Sometimes it’s a tough situation being a manager, you can’t make everyone happy.

“John stuck to his beliefs and what he wanted to do, again I was a casualty, but if I hadn’t worked hard, hadn’t stuck in I wouldn’t have had this opportunity now so that’s been my focus – be ready when the call comes.”

Sorensen was greeted with rapturous applause in City’s 2-2 draw Brisbane Roar last Saturday where Valkanis had to make up for seven suspended players while Ivan Franjic and Michael Jakobsen were injured.

The Dane was given the captain's armband on the night.

“When you’re out for a long time, there’s always going to be doubts,” he said.

“You can measure your levels and training, but training is one thing. Games is something else and I think some doubts creep in and then it’s always great to get out there and get yourself tested.

“When I got out there, I felt good before, felt really good when I was there. Great to have experience when you’re in that sort of situation.

“You can dig into that bag of experience and use that, I didn’t feel rusty at all. I felt good, had a big task with a lot of young players, a lot to focus on and got stuck in with the job.”

Sorensen said the style in pressing high at the beginning of the season evolved and circumstances dictated change after positive results early.

He used undefeated Sydney FC as an example, highlighting their discipline in play when they lose possession of the ball.

“When you look at it they’re (Sydney) aware of their job and what they have to do in certain situations,” Sorensen said.

“They work together very well. They’re very well drilled and I think that’s where we sometimes been caught up with everything that goes on when we’re attacking that we haven’t been aware of getting things organised early.

“Being aware of the dangers, see them before they happen and then have a plan of how to deal with them. I think now in the last couple of weeks, a lot of work has been done in that part of it, I thought we saw some good things on Saturday.

“We’re still not there because we got caught in one of the goals. Won’t keep us from conceding, if we can just cut down on a percentage of the goals, it’ll give us a much bigger chance of winning games.”

Fourth-placed City play Wellington on Saturday night.

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Did some good things tonight, but can't save a penalty to save his life and should have done a lot better with the free-kick. Don't know why we don't have a man on each post for those kicks either.

You can't have blokes on posts. That's crazy talk.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Why? As long as you're 10m+ from the ball you can be anywhere. Now you may consider it a stupid idea - and that's fair enough - but AFAIK it's not proscribed by the laws of the game.

Sorry I meant you shouldn't.  

Putting defenders on the post allows the opposition forwards to block the keepers vision and possible movement not to mention the chance of a deflection.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

Has to stay, seems to be the glue and a leader of the group.

And he has the best ass in the league, have you seen him reaching his yellow boots with his yellow gloves - seen his glutes, this man is definitely not gluten intolerant!!!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, fidrildid6 said:

Next week... will he stay or will he go?

Has to stay in my book. Newcastle weren't without their chances, and Sorensen timed his runs off his line to perfection. Incidentally, I thought Newcastle's Jack Duncan looked a good GK under trying circumstances. Wouldn't mind seeing him in our squad.

58 minutes ago, Embee said:

Didn't have the best view from the terrace but looked like he was in the middle of the huddle post-game, looking pretty animated. He's a natural leader and has to stay in the starting 11 IMO.

just telling the guys we're fucked for the rest of the season when he's back on bench from now on 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Should have been the captain. Should never have been dropped.

Yes and definitely Yes should never have been dropped. You have to wonder what happened between him and JVS to have been kept out of the starting side as i cannot in any way see why he was dropped.

43 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Yes and definitely Yes should never have been dropped. You have to wonder what happened between him and JVS to have been kept out of the starting side as i cannot in any way see why he was dropped.

Could always be wrong but to me it's simple. Sorenson is done end of season. He would have understood that this was Boazanis opportunity to try to step up. I'm sure the coaches saw it way and so did Sorenson. 

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Could always be wrong but to me it's simple. Sorenson is done end of season. He would have understood that this was Boazanis opportunity to try to step up. I'm sure the coaches saw it way and so did Sorenson. 

There was rumours of a falling out late last season due to Tommy questioning tge tactics. JVS could have just seized the opportunity to get one up on him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, malloy said:

There was rumours of a falling out late last season due to Tommy questioning tge tactics. JVS could have just seized the opportunity to get one up on him.

I heard these rumours as well from that one to Sorenson banging jvs wife. It could very well be that one that you mention. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Sadly, l think he is gone as well. Would love to keep him for one more season, if not, remain in the CFG family in one way or another.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

That never made sense to me when you have a visa spot tied up.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, n i k o said:

What appalling logic. The time for him to step up is/was when Sorenson retired. In the meantime watch and learn.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

What appalling logic. The time for him to step up is/was when Sorenson retired. In the meantime watch and learn.

Tbf the plan may have evolved quickly as the season went on.

The plan at the start of the year was probably to have Sorenson play atleast 80% of the games, with Bouzanis maybe getting a run somewhere to see if he is capable of being a starter going forward.

Sorensons red card in round 1 gave Bouzanis the opportunity earlier than expected, and seeing as he put in 1 and a half solid games in Sorensons absence they decided they'd keep playing him. Obviously while not outstanding his form was good enough to retain his spot, and with the added bonus of showing us that he is capable of performing at this level they just kept running with it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Tbf the plan may have evolved quickly as the season went on.

The plan at the start of the year was probably to have Sorenson play atleast 80% of the games, with Bouzanis maybe getting a run somewhere to see if he is capable of being a starter going forward.

Sorensons red card in round 1 gave Bouzanis the opportunity earlier than expected, and seeing as he put in 1 and a half solid games in Sorensons absence they decided they'd keep playing him. Obviously while not outstanding his form was good enough to retain his spot, and with the added bonus of showing us that he is capable of performing at this level they just kept running with it.

Agree wholeheartedly, and will add that thanks to his big break into the side after Sorensen see red round one, Bouzanis sits equal second (with Fornaroli) in our forums player of the season despite missing the last five games.

Would love to see Sorensen retain his spot but Bouzanis shouldn't be discussed as a pure benchwarmer yet

• Like 1

Given importance of a GK and the leadership role they often play at the back, Bouzanis should never has held his position once Sorensen's suspension was over.

We have definitely suffered and lost for that decision. 

What Sorenson offers at the back with the years of playing at the 'world best' level is being greatly underestimated IMO. Just remember he was the A league's best goalkeeper by a mile last season and we can be reminded, by his recent inclusion, there are very obvious reasons why.

There is no valid reason why a manager would choose to include an inferior player in any position, but especially in GK position where his chemistry with the defenders is nearly as important as his positional ability.

The decision to play Bouzanis was just plain wrong and the team has suffered on and off the pitch as a consequence.

Bouzanis shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Sorensen when talking about goalkeeper selection.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 6