Melbourne Football

Thomas Sorensen

Murfy1

1 hour ago, japiedog said:

OK I'll hold my hand up, i've since heard that Sorensen isn't leaving

apparently we were chasing Janjetkovic and we didn't get him

still crazy that we keep a visa player on the bench

Janjetovic is a pretty good keeper. We took him to Hawaii with us in S2 but didn't subsequently keep him. But it is lunacy to keep a visa player on the bench. As with Chapman, I say that there is something more in play here than just selection. If Sorensen is just going to sit on the bench for the rest of the season - and that's what it looks like atm - then it's a total waste.

55 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Janjetovic is a pretty good keeper. We took him to Hawaii with us in S2 but didn't subsequently keep him. But it is lunacy to keep a visa player on the bench. As with Chapman, I say that there is something more in play here than just selection. If Sorensen is just going to sit on the bench for the rest of the season - and that's what it looks like atm - then it's a criminal waste.

Fixed

• 4 weeks later...

Alot of people on here (especially Mrs Rass) will be rapt that Sorensen will be back - given of course if Bouzanis is sanctioned for what he said.

But surely aren't people worried that at his age and lack of matches this year, that he's going to be terribly rusty?

I certainly hope not but can definitely see some real indecisive keeping from him when he plays. Hope im wrong but very concerned.

2 minutes ago, rass said:

Alot of people on here (especially Mrs Rass) will be rapt that Sorensen will be back - given of course if Bouzanis is sanctioned for what he said.

But surely aren't people worried that at his age and lack of matches this year, that he's going to be terribly rusty?

I certainly hope not but can definitely see some real indecisive keeping from him when he plays. Hope im wrong but very concerned.

Agree. His first 90 will be shaky but if he gets through that without too much then he should be right. Wont help not having Jakobsen assuming he is done for a Germano. 

My main concern would be his quickness,  even last season he got out of lot of situations through being able to anticipate what's going to happen,  and the few times he guessed wrong he looked silly.  Another year older and not playing all season hopefully he hasnt lost anymore movement especially sideways 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Austin316 said:

cant wait for sorensen to get back in the sticks - i have been calling for this on facebook very vocally 

"Sportsmanship...what a load of crap, don't preach your morality to me. Steve Austin doesn't have any mercy... you want mercy? Take your ass to church!"

8 minutes ago, Blackout said:

Can someone explain to me what that thing Sorenson did where he stopped the ball going into the net? That was cool I suppose.

It was ok. Would prefer some sick distribution but that trick he kept doing did seem to help stop brisbane from scoring goals so i suppose i can forgive him

• Like 1

Bouzanis isn't as bad as he's made out to be but last night was yet another example of what a top level goal-keeper can do for you.

Tommy made some crucial saves and helped turn what could have very easily been a loss into a credible draw. If we're serious about trying to make any noise in the finals he needs to start for the rest of the season. Aside from possibly Vukavic he's the best keeper in the league.

Edited by Embee

12 hours ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

We need a replacement for sorensen for next season. Any ideas fellas

How old is Sozer, the youth GK? Could we keep him at the club and also keep Tommy? Yes he'll be 41 next year but age is not necessarily prohibitive for a top GK.

Only thing I'd like to see Tommy do is not go so early on penalties as he hasn't guessed right once for us. 

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

How old is Sozer, the youth GK? Could we keep him at the club and also keep Tommy? Yes he'll be 41 next year but age is not necessarily prohibitive for a top GK.

Only thing I'd like to see Tommy do is not go so early on penalties as he hasn't guessed right once for us. 

Sozer did have a great record at city youth but i think he needs more time before being able to play for city 1st team. Maybe sorensen could coach him

Genuinely think Tommy could play another season if he wanted to but it doesn't seem like that will be the case.

Bouzanis is on a three year deal and I can't see any reason why the club would be moving him on (I don't think the gypsy incident will see him forced out, especially given his reaction to the incident afterwards) so it'll probably be either Bouzanis plus another Australian keeper to fight it out or Bouzanis plus Sozer.