Melbourne Football

Thomas Sorensen

Murfy1

50 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I was thinking about this and there should be more to it than this. I'm hoping the club is appealing the decision in whatever way they can. It was clearly unintentional and the sending off should be sufficient punishment without having to miss the following week. 

His hand was outstretched in a position it shouldn't have been. intentional or unintentional doesn't matter  

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

The only time we had won a season opener was when we were coached by Bambi. That of course was his only moment in the sun as the coach of Heart

It very quickly descended into darkness. But very true all the same.

I'm starting to miss Bambi. 

16 hours ago, n i k o said:

I was thinking about this and there should be more to it than this. I'm hoping the club is appealing the decision in whatever way they can. It was clearly unintentional and the sending off should be sufficient punishment without having to miss the following week. 

To be perfectly honest, id prefer we didn't appeal something we are unlikely to turn over and possibly give Bouzanis and reason to lose or drop down in confidence ahead of the Derby. His cameo last week would of given him a massive boost and i think JVS publicly saying they wont contest it and are backing Bouzanis in will only increase that confidence.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 9:29 PM, mjake1234 said:

The FFA match review committee has determined that "Thomas Sorensen will serve a suspension of one (1) match, being the minimum sanction for the offence of denying the opposing team an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball."

Fair enough - but how on earth can they say "deliberately"?

The rules of the game specify handball as "deliberate". If the ref doesn't think it was deliberate then it's play on. There is no such thing as a free kick for "accidental" handball. The fact that it was given as a free kick means it is, by definition, deliberate. The ref also thought it was "deliberately thwarting a goalscoring opportunity", thus a red and one week. He saved a certain goal which ended up winning us 3 points. Only this week's performance by Bouzanis will tell us whether it was worth it. But it was the right thing to do at the time.

All the fuckheads saying Sorensen is rubbbish, Tando is better, etc. know less than nothing about goalkeeping. Sorensen is class. He will make the odd mistake, but all keepers do, no matter how good they are or at what level they play. Seriously, the guy is the best GK we have ever had. I quite liked Tando but we are talking about not just different ballparks, but different suburbs. Spend your energy worrying about something else FFS.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dr lime said:

The rules of the game specify handball as "deliberate". If the ref doesn't think it was deliberate then it's play on. There is no such thing as a free kick for "accidental" handball. The fact that it was given as a free kick means it is, by definition, deliberate. The ref also thought it was "deliberately thwarting a goalscoring opportunity", thus a red and one week. He saved a certain goal which ended up winning us 3 points. Only this week's performance by Bouzanis will tell us whether it was worth it. But it was the right thing to do at the time.

All the fuckheads saying Sorensen is rubbbish, Tando is better, etc. know less than nothing about goalkeeping. Sorensen is class. He will make the odd mistake, but all keepers do, no matter how good they are or at what level they play. Seriously, the guy is the best GK we have ever had. I quite liked Tando but we are talking about not just different ballparks, but different suburbs. Spend your energy worrying about something else FFS.  

Yet if Bouzanis makes a mistake this weekend the knives will be out. whilst Sorensen continues to get a free pass. Ridiculous double standards 

1 minute ago, Chris p said:

Yet if Bouzanis makes a mistake this weekend the knives will be out. whilst Sorensen continues to get a free pass. Ridiculous double standards 

Not sure if Bouzanis has played 100 times for his country and at a couple of World Cups, etc.  Not to mention being the best keeper in the league in the previous season. I hope he does well and happy enough to have him as a back up. I hope he does well, I was very happy for him (and us) that he played well last week. But if you're comparing them, it's like comparing Einstein with your High school science teacher. 

1 minute ago, dr lime said:

Not sure if Bouzanis has played 100 times for his country and at a couple of World Cups, etc.  Not to mention being the best keeper in the league in the previous season. I hope he does well and happy enough to have him as a back up. I hope he does well, I was very happy for him (and us) that he played well last week. But if you're comparing them, it's like comparing Einstein with your High school science teacher. 

I'm not going to commit to a comparison based purely on the fact Bouzanis has never been given an opportunity 

9 hours ago, dr lime said:

IMO you're overplaying the "goalkeeper of the year" bit. Everyone knows that the "player of the year" should have been Aaron Mooy, with Bruno running a close second, but the award  went to Castro.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO you're overplaying the "goalkeeper of the year" bit. Everyone knows that the "player of the year" should have been Aaron Mooy, with Bruno running a close second, but the award  went to Castro.

Not really.  Sorensen was clearly the best goalkeeper. Being the best overall player obviously no. 

But being a visa keeper if he wasn't the best in League then he should by rights be replaced. 

So far Sorensen has proven to be durable and apart from a few errors has been everything I have hoped for and as far a Bouzanis goes tonight is his opportunity to shine and lay a claim to be regarded as A League quality keeper. 

Good luck to him and hopefully he has a super quiet night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Not really.  Sorensen was clearly the best goalkeeper. Being the best overall player obviously no. 

But being a visa keeper if he wasn't the best in League then he should by rights be replaced. 

So far Sorensen has proven to be durable and apart from a few errors has been everything I have hoped for and as far a Bouzanis goes tonight is his opportunity to shine and lay a claim to be regarded as A League quality keeper. 

Good luck to him and hopefully he has a super quiet night.

I was really pointing out that I don't have much faith in the voting system for these awards.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 9:29 PM, mjake1234 said:

The FFA match review committee has determined that "Thomas Sorensen will serve a suspension of one (1) match, being the minimum sanction for the offence of denying the opposing team an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball."

Fair enough - but how on earth can they say "deliberately"?

He didn't play like a defender.  He made a block in the style of a goal keeper, despite being outside of the box and whilst he didn't try to do it, the ball struck his arm.  red card every day of the week.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I doubt the Keeper would come from outside Aus tbh, better to use that visa spot elsewhere

Can see Sorenson moving into the CFG somewhere as a coach. Janjetivic (however you spell it) is available. But we need to strengthen the defence and will have a visa spot up our sleeves.

Oh and if we want to have all our best players on the pitch we can only use a back three imo. So hopefully they go out and get another CB who is used to a back three. TBH I have no idea how we would set up with having all our players on the pitch. But we need a front two of Cahill and Fornaroli. Thats the only way to use them both in the team at the same time. 

Edited by Dylan

3 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Does anyone know why he is leaving?

I've said all along that IMO he's being groomed for a position within CFG. I also think now that he's probably realised that it's time for him to finally hang up his playing boots - his skills are still there but not the reaction time. Bouzanis was quite capable last night.

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I've said all along that IMO he's being groomed for a position within CFG. I also think now that he's probably realised that it's time for him to finally hang up his playing boots - his skills are still there but not the reaction time. Bouzanis was quite capable last night.

I thought he could've done the job one more season. Would be good to keep him in the CFG family.

5 hours ago, rayv36 said:

My mate reckons that JVS has had enough of Tommys attitude and has benched him until he changes. Says he doesn't take training seriously and rocks up late etc. 

Sounds very unlike him (from the perspective of someone who doesn't actually know him personally obviously)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Sounds very unlike him (from the perspective of someone who doesn't actually know him personally obviously)

So in other words you are saying it's bullshit.

I tend to agree,

unless JVS's inferiority complex with senior players who have been successful on the world stage has again short circuited his common sense into a disrespectful moron to the point of no return.... which may be the case.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, playmaker said:

So in other words you are saying it's bullshit.

I tend to agree,

unless JVS's inferiority complex with senior players who have been successful on the world stage has again short circuited his common sense into a disrespectful moron to the point of no return.... which may be the case.

Sounds like total bullshit to me. Of course i dont work at the club so i dont see what goes on behind closed doors but soro going from being one of the only ones who looked like he gave a fuck about this club last season to being lazy and unprofessional this season sounds very difficult to believe.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Sounds like total bullshit to me. Of course i dont work at the club so i dont see what goes on behind closed doors but soro going from being one of the only ones who looked like he gave a fuck about this club last season to being lazy and unprofessional this season sounds very difficult to believe.

Yeah I agree. You also look at his social media and it doesnt look like he was dropped at all. I still reckon this was all planned from the start of the season as he moves into coaching