Melbourne Football

Thomas Sorensen

Murfy1

It's all relative though because I believe we were playing a different style when Tando was keeping during those games. We played much deeper than we did earlier that season and deeper than we are now. Coincidentally it was also Kisnorbos best period of football for this club. 

Edited by n i k o

Is conceding 10 goals in 5 games really 'solid keeping'....

How many of those goals was he personally at fault?

I have already said he is not a keeper who is a game changer (top class), and would not have used a visa on him. However, he is here now and I think overall he has been solid.

How many of those goals was he personally at fault?

I think that's sort of the point. If 95% goals are the fault of the players in front of the keeper than why allocate such a large amount of our resources to what is a less important position than the others?

He was all class last night against Adelaide. His catching will improve, although I think people are being a bit picky with respect to the odd fumble in the air. Keepers like Biriighitti hardly venture off their line or punch half the balls they should catch and people don't realise that they are actually pretty ordinary in the air. But if a god keeper comes for twice as many balls but fumbles one or two they say "this bloke is shaky". Bottom line: he hasn't dropped one that cost a goal yet and has been getting better as the season wears on. I like Tando, but Sorensen is a couple of levels above.  

Quite enjoyed this post though. Made me think of the situation in a way I hadn't before. 

He was all class last night against Adelaide. His catching will improve, although I think people are being a bit picky with respect to the odd fumble in the air. Keepers like Biriighitti hardly venture off their line or punch half the balls they should catch and people don't realise that they are actually pretty ordinary in the air. But if a god keeper comes for twice as many balls but fumbles one or two they say "this bloke is shaky". Bottom line: he hasn't dropped one that cost a goal yet and has been getting better as the season wears on. I like Tando, but Sorensen is a couple of levels above.  

One of the things that has made Sorenson a class keeper is that he knows what to do at the right time. Stay close to goal, venture out and intercept a ball, punch or catch. I reckon we've seen these things in every match so far. For instance when he came out to intercept a dangerous ball like the chance that Djite had very early in the game on Thursday.

• Like 3

I think that's sort of the point. If 95% goals are the fault of the players in front of the keeper than why allocate such a large amount of our resources to what is a less important position than the others?

I agree that the money should have been spent in signing defenders, rather than a goalkeeper. 

Quite enjoyed this post though. Made me think of the situation in a way I hadn't before. 

• 1 month later...

Melbourne City goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen admits he earned his money in win over Melbourne Victory

20 December, 2015

David Davutovic

VETERAN Danish keeper Thomas Sorensen admitted he earnt his money after pulling off a series of fine saves to secure Melbourne City a famous derby win on Saturday.

Sorensen had an epic duel with Melbourne Victory’s Besart Berisha, thwarting the superstar striker five times, while producing world-class saves to stop Kosta Barbarouses and Archie Thompson from equalising.

Sorensen felt like he ‘had a hairdryer in his face’ two hours before kick-off and welcomed the pre-game temperature drop, but remained exhausted at the final whistle of the 2-1 win.

“That’s when you earn your money, when you’re under pressure,’’ Sorensen said.

“Sometimes you need players to step up and a lot of players stepped up yesterday and made a difference and that’s what we needed.

“It was tough, I was really tired at the end, it was a hot day and we rode our luck.

“I made a couple of good saves and we had some blocks on the line.

“They would be disappointed for missing their chances but we fought hard and we got over the line. It’s always nice to come good in a derby.’’

Sorensen, 39, used all of his experience to frustrate Victory in the most dramatic of the 18 derby encounters.

Despite playing over 350 English Premier League games and winning 101 caps for Denmark, Sorensen conceded still admiring some of his glovework, citing the

the ‘crucial’ 48th minute save from Barbarouses’s header.

“Most of the time you get a hand to it but you can’t quite get it round the post, so it just happens. Afterwards I had a look at the screen and I was pretty surprised,’’ he said.

“It’s always good to make a save and as it happens in the game you just instinctively react.

“It was important because it was right after half-time and had they scored it would’ve been really difficult for us.’’

City fans were on edge again in the 83rd minute when Sorensen came out of the area, forcing Berisha around him, and the Dane admitted he faced a nervous few seconds.

“It’s a 50-50, but I felt I had to come out because he was in front. He gets there just before me, hits me and luckily the ball rolls through. I thought they would score,’’ Sorensen said.

“We had a bit of luck because it came to a tight enough angle that made it impossible for him to score.

“He (Berisha) is one of them who works hard for 90 minutes, gives everything for the team, pops up in most games and he’s a real threat in the box.

“We knew that before the game, but you can’t keep him quiet for 90 minutes, luckily he only got one (goal).’’

Sorensen led the celebrations at the final whistle, fist-pumping his way down the sideline and towards the City fans at the other end, admitting it was a huge win.

“To get over the line it brought a lot of emotion out of all of us because we knew how big the game was,’’ he said.

“It’s the whole thing, where we’ve come from. This is just one step but an important one.

“It was a big step for us to win a derby and continue the good form and the way it panned out, two-nil up, the second half was definitely under the cosh for a log time.

“But we can’t get too carried away with this. It’s back to business in six days’ time.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-goalkeeper-thomas-sorensen-admits-he-earned-his-money-in-win-over-melbourne-victory/news-story/8563434bafd8e0304c59690cad806492

23 minutes ago, drewmelbcity said:

God like status for me now. Not cause he pulled off the saves to help win the game but purely for the emotion he showed after the final whistle. You will seldom find any player in our short history show that much emotion from a win and it now shows me as a paying supporter we have players who give a fuck.

If only our Twitter handle had been #Passion instead of #Believe...

The appeal of football is right brain not left brain

52 minutes ago, drewmelbcity said:

God like status for me now. Not cause he pulled off the saves to help win the game but purely for the emotion he showed after the final whistle. You will seldom find any player in our short history show that much emotion from a win and it now shows me as a paying supporter we have players who give a fuck.

bit of redemption as he handed them the points in rd 2

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Has tweeted that he took a few knocks last night but will be OK for next week.

Good news. I thought he was good last night.

Hated not seeing him dive for the first one, (but in the same way that @Dylancan't stand red and white  because of his childhood memories, I have bad memories of playing with a keeper who refused to dive, so now have a bit of a phobia about it too).

im hardly a keeping expert but his positioning and timing seems to defuse a lot of stuff before it gets too dangerous.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Hated not seeing him dive for the first one, (but in the same way that @Dylancan't stand red and white  because of his childhood memories, I have bad memories of playing with a keeper who refused to dive, so now have a bit of a phobia about it too).

im hardly a keeping expert but his positioning and timing seems to defuse a lot of stuff before it gets too dangerous.

Red and white was a great omen last night ;)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Agree. It seems to me that his positioning and his mere presence (maybe together with his reputation) puts opponents off and makes them shoot wide.

It's also clear that Sorensen is made of pretty tough stuff, and if he's not getting injured last night (despite Perth players' crazy challenges on him) then I'm fairly confident he can play out the rest of the season unscathed. So thankfully it looks like Bouzanis will only warm the pine during his time at Melbourne City.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, jw1739 said:

I've been a supporter of Sorensen, but TBH I thought that was a piss-poor "effort" to save that penalty last night. He went far too early and could have easily got down to what was a soft shot if he had waited. Tando would have done better IMO.

no he wouldn't have. IMO

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I've been a supporter of Sorensen, but TBH I thought that was a piss-poor "effort" to save that penalty last night. He went far too early and could have easily got down to what was a soft shot if he had waited. Tando would have done better IMO.

What was Tando's penalty save rate? I seem to remember him saving 2 in one season

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It didn't look great did it?

Especially when old mate just put it straight ahead of his angle run (which I have heard is the statistically most likely).

How much you blame the keeper and how much you congratulate the striker for wrong footing him is another matter.

I know we played poorly but up until then Jets had no confidence, that pen changed the game.