Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Oakleigh Cannons - Wed 9 September Jack Edwards Reserve 7:30PM

MCFCDion

Very impressed by our performance tonight. The team is playing with a freedom that I've not seen from Heart/City in our five seasons. Lots of pace and drive, a genuine hunger for the ball, quick passing, chasing and harrying when not in possession, and everyone clearly playing for each other and for the shirt. In short, a revelation. It's difficult to single out individuals, but there were some delightful moves involving Mauk, Koren and Tuna. Triallist Callum Richardson looks the goods as a full-back - I hope we can sign him. The team hardly missed a beat in the second half despite a final tally of ten substitutions (only Sorensen played the entire match and was virtually a spectator for all of it); again it's difficult to single out individuals but the scorers Cristaldo, Espindola and Dekker were in everything. We have to find a way of keeping these boys in the club, because for the first time I can remember we don't have to drop down a level with substitutions.

All in all a very encouraging night for City.

• Like 4

Was only there for the first half, but we took this game seriously and we looked very good. 

I got to say, Kuzmanovski looks like a serious player...very good with his feet. Mauk, Koren and Fornaroli also looked good linking up. There was a good intensity by the lads and a lot of hunger.

• Like 4

Very impressed by our performance tonight. The team is playing with a freedom that I've not seen from Heart/City in our five seasons. Lots of pace and drive, a genuine hunger for the ball, quick passing, chasing and harrying when not in possession, and everyone clearly playing for each other and for the shirt. In short, a revelation. It's difficult to single out individuals, but there were some delightful moves involving Mauk, Koren and Tuna. Triallist Callum Richardson looks the goods as a full-back - I hope we can sign him. The team hardly missed a beat in the second half despite a final tally of ten substitutions (only Sorensen played the entire match and was virtually a spectator for all of it); again it's difficult to single out individuals but the scorers Cristaldo, Espindola and Dekker were in everything. We have to find a way of keeping these boys in the club, because for the first time I can remember we don't have to drop down a level with substitutions.

That sounds very promising JW

Hopefully we can take this form into the league and have a very successful season.

I got there 15 minutes in, overall it was a very good result. Looking at the first half where we had most of our senior players playing if there was one aspect that I felt wasn't of standard was our ball retention rate. We lost the ball many times where we had only completed 2-3 successful passes. In saying that there were a number of moments where the ball movement was great. Second half saw many of our young players including a few new faces which I didn't recognise. What impressed me most though, and it was consistent throughout the game, was our urgency to win the ball back once we had lost it. 

Edited by n i k o

This result would be alot better if there wassnt the huge caveat that this was an NPL team who hassnt been in great form as of late. The only thing you could say is that it seemed like when the youth team was sent on in the second half the same performance continued.

I got there 15 minutes in, overall it was a very good result. Looking at the first half where we had most of our senior players playing if there was one aspect that I felt wasn't of standard was our ball retention rate. We lost the ball many times where we had only completed 2-3 successful passes. In saying that there were a number of moments where the ball movement was great. Second half saw many of our young players including a few new faces which I didn't recognise. What impressed me most though, and it was consistent throughout the game, was our urgency to win the ball back once we had lost it. 

This result would be alot better if there wassnt the huge caveat that this was an NPL team who hassnt been in great form as of late. The only thing you could say is that it seemed like when the youth team was sent on in the second half the same performance continued.

even so Oakley were still good enough to stay in the cup. The score and match reports all point us having the sort of pre-season we need if we are to be a force to be reckoned with come round 1. Fingers crossed.

I wonder how much the ball retention issue was because we are practising on a billiard table flat surface at Latrobe and then played on a cow-paddock surface.

I always wonder why teams create the perfect training surface. Surely the practice field should be tailored to the worst surface you have to play on. From what I understand some of the EPL teams actually have different pitches depending on the type of grass, conditions etc that they are going to expect for the following game.

I would expect that some of the lower division clubs have an advantage if they play their FFA cup games on less than perfect pitches.

I wonder how much the ball retention issue was because we are practising on a billiard table flat surface at Latrobe and then played on a cow-paddock surface.

I always wonder why teams create the perfect training surface. Surely the practice field should be tailored to the worst surface you have to play on. From what I understand some of the EPL teams actually have different pitches depending on the type of grass, conditions etc that they are going to expect for the following game.

I would expect that some of the lower division clubs have an advantage if they play their FFA cup games on less than perfect pitches.

Hmm, our blokes are professionals. Surface conditions shouldn't be a factor, especially against lower league teams.

There's no way they should have an advantage, especially with no travel involved. We should have the advantage.

It's a contributing factor in giant-killing runs by cup minnows everywhere. It doesn't give them an advantage, but reduces the advantage the better clubs would otherwise enjoy and evens out the contest on the day. As do inferior lighting and a changing-room with the heating deliberately turned off. Etc. etc.

It's a contributing factor in giant-killing runs by cup minnows everywhere. It doesn't give them an advantage, but reduces the advantage the better clubs would otherwise enjoy and evens out the contest on the day. As do inferior lighting and a changing-room with the heating deliberately turned off. Etc. etc.

this is what happened at the edgeworth game. 

Agree with all of this. Simply put, it was the best Heart/City performance I can remember in recent times over 90 minutes. And sure it was only against an NPL side, but the team was consistently impressive throughout the whole match despite the 10 or so substitutions.

The possession was what stood out for me. It was overall very quick, accurate and purposeful. It made much of the possession in recent seasons look pretty 2nd gear or 3rd gear by comparison. And the match was a good reminder of how devastating top gear possession football can be against an opponent: we really destroyed Oakleigh and they were chasing shadows all night.

Very good signs from Koren and Paartalu IMO. Koren was simply more effective in the final third, and his work-rate was good. Ditto Paartalu, who made a number of sliding tackles and took his header well. These are two players I'm hoping are much better next season, and the pre-season signs are looking good.

I agree that pretty much everyone put in a good shift. The fitness and energy levels were good throughout, which suggests that the club is starting to get things right with the team's fitness.

Richardson impressed in central defence this game. I'm pretty sure he played at RB last Friday, and I also thought he looked good there. Very composed on the ball for a defender, and a pretty good passer. I reckon having two central defenders comfortable on the ball in him and Chapman might be one of the reasons why the team was so impressive with the ball in the first half. 

A lot of good news overall, and further positive signs that the team will have excellent depth next season. Bring on the next pre-season match.  

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1