Melbourne Football

Laura Alleway

Dylan

Will wear the number 5. Another good signing. Lets hope the good spine continues.

Melbourne City FC is pleased to announce Matildas defender Laura Alleway has joined the Club ahead of the Westfield W-League 2015/16 season.

The 25-year-old follows international teammate and Matildas captain Lisa De Vanna in joining Melbourne City FC, as Head Coach Joe Montemurro continues to build his squad for the Club’s inaugural W-League campaign.

A member of Brisbane Roar’s championship winning squad in 2011, Alleway boasts a wealth of W-League experience, registering over 50 appearances in the women’s domestic competition.

Upon returning to Australia following a spell with English Women’s Super League (FAWSL) club Lincoln Ladies in 2012, Alleway established herself as an integral part of the Matildas’ defence, representing her country in two FIFA Women’s World Cups since making her national debut in 2010.

With Alleway returning from the recent FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015 in Canada, Montemurro expressed his delight at securing one of Australia’s most talented defenders.

“We are very excited to have Laura join Melbourne City FC in our inaugural season,” Montemurro said.

“Laura is an extremely talented defender who has a lot of domestic and international experience.

“To have Laura on board helps establish the foundations of our defence as we continue to build a competitive squad this season.”

alleway_gu1cq88lll4x1r9tixvd6kjjq.jpg?t=

Alleway, the Club’s second W-League signing, is excited to be a part of the Club’s first W-League campaign.

“It’s really exciting and hopefully we can come out with a big bang in the first season,” Alleway said.

“We haven’t yet played together and it’s a fresh team, but there is a lot of optimism and excitement around this season, our team and the Club.

“As the team builds, we are really looking forward to working together and hopefully create something special with City.”

Alleway will wear the number 5 jersey.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

At this rate..will we have a team in time for the start of the season?

At this rate (1 player/ month) I predict we will have a full squad just in time for the 2017 season.

Last year the season started in mid September.  If this were to be the case again we'd be in strife, as we need to sign 18 players and jell a squad in just 4 weeks.  Not sure why its taking so long and why there was a whole month between our first and second signings.  Anyway probably the wrong thread for that.

Back to topic - Laura is a good signing.

Edited by Shahanga

At this rate (1 player/ month) I predict we will have a full squad just in time for the 2017 season.

Last year the season started in mid September.  If this were to be the case again we'd be in strife, as we need to sign 18 players and jell a squad in just 4 weeks.  Not sure why its taking so long and why there was a whole month between our first and second signings.  Anyway probably the wrong thread for that.

Back to topic - Laura is a good signing.

There's nothing at all on the FFA website about the W-League fixtures for 2015/16. A bit puzzling...

They pushed the league forward last season to wrap up before the Asian Cup, thus it going back to October this year. Fixture is due out late august early sept, iirc?

Alleway said on Instagram than she moved to Melbourne the weekend before being announced, maybe the players are starting to come and we'll get more announcements soon?

Yes, and my housemate's colleague's daughter went for a trial with the team last week (amazing insider knowledge right here) so I guess they're still doing at least some recruiting. (Edited to add: she's 17 so I guess it's more squad focused.) On the one hand, with the salaries of the wleague I guess it limits what you can do, but on the other Sydney recently announced their full squad. (Not sure if any other teams have though.)

Edited by Kinnibari

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...