Melbourne Football

Wade Dekker

strider

TBH I am hopeful about this guy because he's actually proved himself worthy of promotion from the NYL side unlike Zac Walker ever did or really Jezza Walker ever did because his opportunities came about from a massive lack of personnel more than anything else. 

I also normally avoid getting too excited about youth players (for the points made by numerous posters in this thread and others) but in the NPL/Youth games I've attended Wade has been head and shoulders above any other City player on the park.

He could very well flop, who knows, but I'm pretty also pretty hopeful. His technical ability/mental attributes are there in spades as far as I'm concerned, it's obviously a matter of whether he can transition from imposing himself on a game full of younger players to doing so against seasoned professionals.

• Like 2

How has he played in the NPL oppsed to the NYL. A young forward agaisnt seasoned older defenders is totally different to same aged defenders. 

The NPL games I've seem him in have still been against teams with, from what I gathered, players who were on the younger side of the spectrum so I don't think the difference between those two competitions has been as large as you might think

• Like 1

How has he played in the NPL oppsed to the NYL. A young forward agaisnt seasoned older defenders is totally different to same aged defenders. 

Quite well from what I've seen this year. Occasionally goes a little bit Matthew Richardson about the service he gets, but not the worst attribute in an attacking minded player.

• Like 1

At the end of day its only one game, but the kid will need to do a lot better than that if/when he gets another chance.

My summary:

Totally ineffectual so moved to the wing for Novillo.  Didn't do a lot there either and was half asleep when a cross came in from the left (he was on the right wing) and thus wasn't on hand for the tap in that a class winger would have scored (at about 85 min mark).  I hope he learns from that, we can't afford to play forwards who doze during matches.

The opposite actually, salary cap makes it harder to keep hold of the youth you develop, it also promotes shorter contracts which also makes it harder to hold onto the youth you develop. The problem is made far worse by the fact there are no transfer fees between A-league clubs as well, making it likely you'll lose the young player you've developed for nothing.

There is very little incentive to develop youth in this league, and it's one area the FFA really need to look into fixing TBH.

Maybe the incentives aren't there as you say Tesla

However, if you can bring a couple of players through from the youth team then it should enable you to be able to have more salary cap space for better players.

I obviously don't know the history of Aussie football and why the A League came to be formed. 

I do think the FFA needs to seriously look at the league and ask itself if it is holding it back by not allowing transfers and more marquee slots etc

I look at the ability of young strikers coming in and competing, often changing games even at 17 or 18 years of age. I then look at the standard of strikers who come into the A-League and make little to no impression what so ever.

In a country that does quite well developing goal keepers and centre halves, why is it that since the likes of Aurelio Vidmar and Mark Viduka, Australia has been so poor at consistently bringing through quality young strikers?

Dekker needs time to show, but he hasn't yet looked like he is ready to take a game by the horns.

Edited by Peter

I look at the ability of young strikers coming in and competing, often changing games even at 17 or 18 years of age. I then look at the standard of strikers who come into the A-League and make little to no impression what so ever.

In a country that does quite well developing goal keepers and centre halves, why is it that since the likes of Aurelio Vidmar and Mark Viduka, Australia has been so poor at consistently bringing through quality young strikers?

Dekker needs time to show, but he hasn't yet looked like he is ready to take a game by the horns.

Top notch strikers are hard to come by. Years ago I had a chat with a couple of Brazilians, one of whom maintained that Brazil continually produced top quality strikers so I asked him to name the top five strikers at the time but after the third it all became contentious as to their quality. And Brazil has only one sport and 180 million people. But your question is valid as to the development of players - thus far I felt that the hole in development came about because of the demise of the NSL and introduction of the A-League but lately I am becoming much more uncertain about this proposition.

• 1 month later...

Loved how Dekker created the opportunity by Winning the ball from Fatty, then finished first touch under pressure. How many times have we seen our players butcher a chance like that?

Well said. The kid's contributing in both defence and attack. 

I also rate his positioning, which was good last night and also against Wellington with his goal in the FFA Cup. Dekker's got impressive striker's instincts to first be in the right place, and then to finish well.

• Like 2

Well said. The kid's contributing in both defence and attack. 

I also rate his positioning, which was good last night and also against Wellington with his goal in the FFA Cup. Dekker's got impressive striker's instincts to first be in the right place, and then to finish well.

He did extremely well yesterday, but his stamina didn't seem to hold up for the full game. One of the few wise moves by JVS to take him off when he noticed..

Melbourne City youngster Wade Dekker confident kids can deliver

11 October 2015

Matt Windley

GOALSCORER Wade Dekker says Melbourne City’s youngsters are more than capable of matching it with the A-League’s big guns.

Far from overawed on his league debut, Dekker, 21, scored City’s only goal in the 1-1 draw with Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium on Saturday night.

The club’s injury plight also saw senior debuts handed to Hernan Espindola, 20, and Stefan Zinni, 19, and the trio could yet be thrown in to a 50,000 derby cauldron against Melbourne Victory at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night.

Dekker, who said he was nervous about the Sydney game after being told by coach John van’t Schip on Friday that he’d be making his debut, said his experiences in the FFA Cup this year had helped prepare him for Saturday night.

“I didn’t expect to start,” Dekker said.

“It was a great ball from Bruno Fornaroli (that led to the goal), well weighted and I was fortunate enough to put it in the right spot.

“It all happened so quickly and at first I didn’t think I was going to get to the ball, so I didn’t really get to think about it too much.

“It’s good to see that we’ve got that depth in the team and that everyone has faith in us to do the job. We’re just going to give 110 per cent any chance we get.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-youngster-wade-dekker-confident-kids-can-deliver/story-fni2fopz-1227565323322

It might be stupid, but am I the only one who can't wait until we play Wellington in NZ with the NZ commentators saying Dekkers name when he gets a touch of the ball or scores?

hahaha, very true.  makes me think of those Deck maintenance ads you get on the TV

the funny thing is that it will apply to almost position on the field

<<insert Kiwi accent>>

"Dekker's come from a wide position"

"Dekker's held firm after getting it in a tight position at the back"

"Dekker's fired into the back of the net with a fine touch"

could probably go on for hours

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

On social media Dekker said post-match:

So I imagine we'll hear something later today or early next week.

I'd say a silver lining is that Marc Marino (who looked pretty good in pre-season) is fit now. So he might get a chance if Dekker is temporarily sidelined. 

Out for rest of season.  Ankle ligaments. 

Any injury is bad luck but this one especially after just getting back into the squad. 

Kid looks like he can play hopefully he doesn't miss too much time to develop and takes his next opportunity. 

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Out for rest of season.  Ankle ligaments. 

Any injury is bad luck but this one especially after just getting back into the squad. 

Kid looks like he can play hopefully he doesn't miss too much time to develop and takes his next opportunity. 

Really unfortunate.

9 hours ago, bt50 said:

It was reckless at worst, get a grip you blokes. Injuries happen in sport.

Wreckless? He deliberately tripped him when the ball was 10m away!

wreckless is when you go in knowing you are only an outside chance of getting the ball.

If it'd been even a 40/60 challenge id have nothing to say, but I hate off the ball shit, I just see it as dirty and gutless.

ok he didn't set out to maim but he certainly set out to do  what would have been a red card offense if it had been picked up. Dog act.

update: the people who review these things obviously agree with bt as he is not suspended.

Edited by Shahanga
Update
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Wreckless? He deliberately tripped him when the ball was 10m away!

wreckless is when you go in knowing you are only an outside chance of getting the ball.

If it'd been even a 40/60 challenge id have nothing to say, but I hate off the ball shit, I just see it as dirty and gutless.

ok he didn't set out to maim but he certainly set out to do  what would have been a red card offense if it had been picked up. Dog act.

update: the people who review these things obviously agree with bt as he is not suspended.

In summary. Mauk is a cnt. What goes around comes around. It's only a matter of time. Hopefully in the next game JVS puts a player on just to snipe the cnt so he can't play in the finals.

Fk you Mauk for doing that shit on an ex-team mate who is trying to make a future for himself. Fk you

• 11 months later...

Good to see the kid back in action, hopefully can get back to the top level.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/ex-city-striker-makes-npl-return-451139

Melbourne City and current Green Gully striker Wade Dekker has made his comeback in the NPL after being out of the game for 11 months with an ankle injury.

In late April 2016, Dekker was released by City and is looking to prove himself for the A-League once again after managing a full game in Gully’s 3-0 away loss to Bentleigh Greens last Friday.

His season ended after former teammate, then Adelaide United attacking-midfielder Stefan Mauk was a c#*t and tripped him behind play like a weak as piss f#*kwit that he is, which resulted in a season-ending ankle injury as City won 1-0 at Coopers Stadium in March last year.

Dekker played five A-League games for City and was involved in all 2015 FFA Cup games, scoring two goals, his first came in their 5-1 thumping over Wellington Phoenix in the Cup and in a 1-1 draw with Sydney FC away in the 2015/16 season opener.

Dekker looking forward to getting game time with Gully. Photo: Green Gully SC

The 22-year-old worked his way from the NYL side in season 2014/15 scoring 10 goals on route to winning the Championship and Golden Boot and also netted 10 times in NPL 1 West 2015 season.

He said he has settled in nicely with Gully and there are no sour grapes towards City.

“It was the first competitive game since my injury in March so it was great to be out there playing 90 minutes,” Dekker told FourFourTwo.

“I had my injury, it was going to be a while, six months or so. I got released from there and I tried cracking into another A-League club but it was hard coming off an injury.

“I looked elsewhere and then my next best bet was here with Green Gully.

“No hard feelings (towards City), I was grateful for the opportunity and grateful I could play at the highest level. Not many people can say that and I’m proud of what I achieved.

“I personally feel like I can do much better than what I did, I’m just happy I’m playing to be honest. I love playing.

“The boys here are not only great on the field but off the field and they’re a great bunch of boys. Everyone gets along really well so it makes it heaps more enjoyable.”

Dekker’s younger brother Todd, played at Gully before being sent to Box Hill to get more minutes under his belt and helped with his arrival at the club according to Gully coach Arthur Papas.

He began training with the club in the beginning of January and Papas said it was right for the youngster to be ambitious.

“We knew he was coming back off a big injury so even last year we touched base with him about if he needed to do his rehab we were happy to accommodate him,” Papas said.

“Todd mentioned Wade was thinking to get back into the A-League or ambitions professionally, he’s got to come and drop a step here.

Arthur Papas guided Gully to a 2-1 win over Central Coast Mariners in the 2016 FFA Cup Round of 32

“We spoke to him and it was a pretty simple thing to be honest because he knows from Todd, the environment we’ve got and the way we work so it’s a good fit for both of us.

“We know it’s not easy because there’s only so many spots for players from NPL level, do we think he’s got the talent to be there, quality? Absolutely.

“If we hold onto him for as long as we can, we’re happy. If he goes back to the top level I’m even happier for him because in the end he’s a young kid and he’s got a great attitude and a great ambition.”

Dekker is looking forward to the opportunity this season, as he looks to juggle his course in Health and Physical Education at Deakin University.

And he admitted he still has aspirations to return to Australia’s highest league after being unable to break into another A-League side.

“I got in contact (with clubs), but because of my injury I wasn’t able to get back in time to go trial there,” he said. “They got other boys to trial and unfortunately my chance went past because I was injured so I just got back too late.

“Of course I’d love to return. At the same time I just have to focus here and do my best, that’s what got me there in the first place just doing my best and enjoying my football.”

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 5