Melbourne Football

Week 20: Melbourne v Gold Coast United - Feb 17 - 8pm

Caddy

This really is a must win game for us, if we don't win on friday (and by win i mean comfortably, not a close match) we are in some serious trouble, confidence will be at a season low and it will just about end our finals hopes imo, with consecutive matches against Central Coast then Brisbane, followed by a fixture against the in-form Wellington.

Hopefully the boys can put together some form over the coming weeks leading into the finals, also with Fred returning I'm hoping to see more dangerous attacks heading forward, rather then the dissapointing efforts of the last few matches.

shocking effort going to a NAB cup game over a season defining game.

club doesnt need you anyway.

Have to agree with MTP. It's a bloody NAB cup game!!! Where as our game is for actual points! And it's must win. Keeps us alive. Anyway. This is the worst reason you have given to date ;)

shocking effort going to a NAB cup game over a season defining game.

club doesnt need you anyway.

Have to agree with MTP. It's a bloody NAB cup game!!! Where as our game is for actual points! And it's must win. Keeps us alive. Anyway. This is the worst reason you have given to date ;)

You're both right, real piss weak reason but I couldn't give a fuck, not ashamed to admit that the Tiges will always have priority.

You're both right, real piss weak reason but I couldn't give a fuck, not ashamed to admit that the Tiges will always have priority.

TBH I think this is fair enough...

I know ppl will say that because I am also a big AFL Fan (However I would not make the same choice in regards to a Pre-Season game), however a supporter should spend their time where the most want too.

People support multiple teams and some are always closer to their heart than others.

But it spre-season, im passionate about my team as well - but you got to go to the game that counts.

There is more on the line for heart this game than any game before...

We all know how it will end for the tiges this year anyway - same as every other year :)

Can see everyone's points and would probably be saying the same thing if it wasn't me who was missing the game. Mates who go for both North and Hawthorn have been organising this for months and I have a mate coming down for Echuca for it.

Had it not been like that I'd be probably heading to the Heart game but ah well, shit happens.

This is the season-defining game for us. It might not determine where we finish on the ladder, but it will define whether we've actually got the qualities that it takes to be taken seriously - basically the qualities to work as a team and do the job properly. GCU are bottom and their squad seriously depleted - if we can't beat them then we don't deserve to feature in the play-offs, even if we eventually do.

The team needs to move the ball around quickly - not this endless horizontal stuff in the backline - using the midfield with a series of passes rather then that long ball crap that we have seen so much of lately. And actually convert some chances.

GCU will not be a pushover. We've never beaten them at AAMI. It will be a mistake if we put anyone on the field who is not absolutely 100% fit and ready to play 96 minutes. JvS needs to get his substitutions right as well.

The time for talking is over. Everyone in the squad needs to lift.

Mates who go for both North and Hawthorn have been organising this for months and I have a mate coming down for Echuca for it.

Well that's different. We all presumed you were going by yourself. But I totally understand that your making a night out of it. As you were tiger ;)

GOLD Coast United have sensationally "suspended" coach Miron Bleiberg from tomorrow night's match against Melbourne Heart.

It's believed club owner Clive Palmer was angry with comments made by Bleiberg in relation to the decision to appoint teenager Mitch Cooper captain for the clash against the Heart.

Despite never having played an A-League game, Cooper will wear the captain's armband in the absence of suspended regular skipper Michael Thwaite.

Palmer made the decision to appoint Cooper stand-in skipper.

Assistant coach Mike Mulvey will take the reins for the match against Heart at AAMI Park in the absence of Bleiberg.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/soccer/gold-coast-united-bans-coach-miron-bleiberg-from-clash-with-melbourne-heart/story-e6frfg8x-1226272586105

Gold Coast are likely to only field two players over the age of 23 on Friday night due to the unavailability of 14 top-line players, mainly due to injury.

http://www.sportal.co.nz/football-news-display/miron-suspended-by-gcu-161559

With these developments, Miron suspended and most of GCU's squad unavailable, there is effectively no chance we won't win. Get down tomorrow if you want to see the lads win.

Melbourne Heart squad:

1.Clint Bolton (GK), 2.Michael Marrone, 3.Brendan Hamill, 4.Simon Colosimo, 5.Fred ©, 6.Matt Thompson, 7.Rutger Worm, 9.Maycon, 10.Wayne Srhoj, 11.Alex Terra, 13.Jonatan Germano, 15.David Williams, 19.Eli Babalj, 26.Paul Reid, 27.Craig Goodwin, 30.Sebastian Mattei (GK)

*one to be omitted*

My take:

----------------------------------------------------------------Eli Babalj----------------------------------------------------------------

Alex Terra-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jonathan Germano

---------------------------------------Fred ©----------------------------------------------Matt Thompson--------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------Wayne Shroj---------------------------------------------------------------

Craig Goodwin----------------------Brendan Hamill--------------Simon Colosimo--------------------------Michael Marrone

------------------------------------------------------------Clint Bolton----------------------------------------------------------------

Subs -

Sebastian Mattei (GK)

Paul Reid

Rutger Worm

David Williams

Omitted - Maycon

Am so confident in us winning this game comfortably that I don't think we should risk Fred's groin and my sanity by playing him. It smacks of the first time we rushed him back into the line up because we where desperate, which was also against Gold Coast.

If he picks up another injury in his first game back, I'll call for Peter Wollins head.

IMO JvS is a very stubborn man. I really would have liked to see, say, Brodie Patterson come in. The boy can play and he can shoot - e.g. free kicks.. If Srhoj and Germano lift their game, that could be our midfield. And then we wouldn't have to risk Fred. A guy still using ice after 30 minutes in a NYL match - not ready IMO.

Thompson probably won't get up and Sarkies not ready. So the only change from last week will probably be Fred in for Good. Line up will probably be something like:

Bolton

Marrone Hamill Colosimo Goodwin

Fred Shroj Germano

Worm Babalj Terra

Reid

Williams

Maycon

Personally, I wouldn't mind giving Williams a go from the start. But whatever the line-up, I think we should win in a canter so long as our attitude is right. The only issue for me is our own confidence. We have to be absolutely ruthless and look to dominate them. But if we're fearful of the consequenses and play like we're scared or inhibited, we could let them into the game. Melbourne 3-0.

Fucking AFL playing the tigers on the same night, I'll also be on the twitter feed for updates whilst watching my beloved Richmond at the vistors home ground.

Not many people actually know what Sharpy looks like, so he won't be missed. Which is a shame, because the NAB Cup is a complete wank.

Man we have to win this game! Gold Coast, (who weren't that great to start with) have so many out, then there is the farce about naming a child as captain on his debut and then suspending the coach because he wasn't stark raving mad. They are never going to be weaker and to be frank we will be laughing stock of the A league if we can't dispose of them.

I expect this to be the Coast's last game against us. As a Coasty i don't know what to feel about their impending demise. Sadness that their won't be Aussie top level football in my home town anymore, or relief that the circus act is nearing its end.

I think Hamill is a better choice than Good anyway at CB.

Curtis is one CB to keep an eye on. He has socceroo potential all over him. However Hamill has the ability to push into midfield which gives him more versatility.

Is it just me or is a concern that so many of our players are injured, or have been this year. it's a little similar to St Kilda a few years ago when a lot of their players went down with soft tissue injuries. From the outside it looks like we may have an issue with the fitness staff. We lost Sarkies last week after he had a blinder against victory. Germano was out for an extended period. Simon and Fred have had on again off again seasons. The list goes on.