Melbourne Football

English Premier League 2015-16

hakz7

Would seriously not mind letting Strurridge go as he is now suffering from Germano Desease. Id like klopp to sign another couple of proven forwards as benteke is too inconsistent and our only solid forward is Firmino. Kid is  a gun striker dont know why he is played wide....

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Dylan said:

@Falastur @silva10

I have known this for ages but have just rememebred to ask. Why arnt all Premier League games televised? That seems crazy

It's probably because it would affect the attendances of the lower leagues. Other than that there is no reason. Obviously TV companies would have to pay more for more games.

Strangely Manchester City have had more Saturday 3pm kick offs (which is the traditional time) this season than for a few seasons.

I actually believe one day we will be able to buy a season ticket for our own teams for televised games. It maybe a few years away but to me it is inevitable.

13 minutes ago, silva10 said:

It's probably because it would affect the attendances of the lower leagues. Other than that there is no reason. Obviously TV companies would have to pay more for more games.

Strangely Manchester City have had more Saturday 3pm kick offs (which is the traditional time) this season than for a few seasons.

I actually believe one day we will be able to buy a season ticket for our own teams for televised games. It maybe a few years away but to me it is inevitable.

It just seems remarkable that the premier competition of the country doesn't have every game on TV. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, silva10 said:

How do you get the PLTV channel that shows all the games in the UK? Is it Premierleaguepass or something?

12 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

How do you get the PLTV channel that shows all the games in the UK? Is it Premierleaguepass or something?

I get live streams through Kodi on my laptop. It does have Premier League Pass logo on the games. I thought it was one of those channels streamed outside of the UK, but not sure.

19 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Size-of-Australia-vs-Europe.jpg

Look at that! and we have every game televised of three football codes with less than half your population

It is down to the people who run the game here in the UK. As I said the lower leagues would be against all games being televised, because it would probably affect their attendances.

8 hours ago, Dylan said:

@Falastur @silva10

I have known this for ages but have just rememebred to ask. Why arnt all Premier League games televised? That seems crazy

The PL has a rule that the various clubs insisted on since the beginning of the league that says the Saturday 3pm slot cannot be televised as it encourages match-going fans to stay at home instead and could drastically reduce match attendance, or at the very least create a culture of staying home to watch on TV because you don't fancy going out one day. The Saturday 3pm slot has a hallowed status in English football as "the correct time that football games should kick off" (it's also when all lower league weekend games bar the odd occasional exception kick off) and so there is a genuine fear that putting matches on TV at that time will eventually result in empty stadia across the board in English football.

As part of the way they enforce this rule, they also have set slots when other matches can kick off (hence why you never see games kicking off at 1:45pm, and why match slots never overlap) to try to restrict games played on TV to one at a time. Aside from that this means that they get the maximum viewing audience per game, it also means that they end up with a cap of about 5 broadcasted games every weekend, and every game that isn't broadcasted has to be played at Saturday 3pm, so again it comes back to the protection of that time slot from TV broadcasting.

I will add that it's not universally popular. Most football fans agree with the core concept of not allowing broadcasts at Saturday 3pm although many doubt that attendances would be *that* affected by knowing the game is on TV too - many just like the concept because as said the Saturday 3pm slot is considered sacred, and many complain bitterly about having to attend matches on Sunday just for the TV revenue, especially as the top clubs generally end up playing more Sunday games than Saturday. It's also pretty unpopular in business - ITV is currently attempting to take the Premier League to court for anti-competitive practices - they argue that the PL has no legal right to hold any matches back from TV broadcast and that they should not be allowed to insist that only one (domestic) channel get the rights to each game. They want a number of different domestic stations to be able to broadcast every single game, or at least as many as they have channels to broadcast on. While ITV winning would at least mean the first PL games played on free channels since 1992 (especially good for people like me, who don't have any satellite TV), it would also mean another nail in the coffin of protecting fan culture, and further to that part of ITV's argument is that allowing any TV company who wanted rights to have them would mean no bid wars for TV rights and therefore they intend for it to become far cheaper to buy games, thus producing a sizable reduction in the PL's TV revenue, which we are incredibly reliant on right now.

Ah, the good old days. The 3.00 p.m. kick-off in the middle of winter, 3d. for a programme, the floodlights on for the second half, the mist swirling in over the terraces, the pitch churning up and the orange ball getting heavier by the minute, no advertising and no names on jerseys, the half-time scores from the other matches being put up on the fence around the pitch, and being able to feel your feet again only after walking at least half of the two miles home in the dark.

Halcyon days!

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Might cost a bit more than £12M if they go down and Newcastle stay up.

I really rate Jonjo myself. Not impossible that he could decide who of those 2 stays up.

I think he's been a bit of a problem player, not sure how much truth there is to it but I think he threatened to fight a fan after the loss to Oxford 

• Like 1

we're pretty much melbourne heart, had rodgers (aloisi) mignolet (redders) but actually got the 3 points today, defence is woeful and mignolet had no saves today, another stat something like 7 or 8 teams have scored against us this season with their first shot on target for the game

just want the season to end so we can have a massive clear out 

• 2 weeks later...