Melbourne Football

St. Pauli

belaguttman

I've just got back from a European holiday, during which time my daughter (who has a great interest in football culture) and I went on a stadium tour of FC St. Pauli in Hamburg. In case anyone os interested here are some photos of what a real community based football club is like.

D7K_4366.thumb.jpg.854aae9029aca5c3eb20f

This is a small area set aside for 'Under 6 yo' supporters to sit without their parents, supervised by a volunteer. The flower boxes were added by some fans who thought that it looked to drab. The only condition was 'no blue flowers' (rival club Hamburg's colours).

D7K_4370.thumb.jpg.ccbb047f363f4806dc4b4

The viewing area for disabled spectators. This wasn't big enough so the club removed some corporate seats to provide more space!

Incidentally those red painted areas were painted by a fan who thought that the new stand was too grey and so came and added the colour in the weekends.

D7K_4343.thumb.jpg.0d582b0cd81d1857eb653

sorry that the picture is blurred, I can blame my daughter who insisted on taking the photos. There are many 'corporate boxes' but these are available for (paid) use by fans. This one is decorated as a Baroque palace with lots of gold, a marble fireplace and walls covered in painted icons, all who happen to be players:)

D7K_4371.thumb.jpg.9e1290746127b072049b3D7K_4375.thumb.jpg.b057a95c20b359737263b

The access corridors to the stands are covered in artworks. Every season they are painted white and artists invited to come and paint them. Incidentally the 'cinderblock' refers to the stadium kindergarten. This is open all year and is for local kids. They also have a playground with a large pirate ship in it.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...