Melbourne Football

Michael Zullo

kingofhearts

Zullo. Injured when signed. Injured at end of season. Release at end of season.

Going forward, we already have Clisby, Chapman and Muscat who are actually defenders, and Franjic who might be. We have four good wingers in Harry, Gooch, Fitzy and Gameiro..

Are you listening JvS? Just fill the defensive gaps by signing players who actually prefer to play as defenders, and stop trying to convert everyone into a left-back.

6 hours ago, JC22 said:

Every club gets injuries.

I think that we need to distinguish between the Heart habit of players getting injured by training on a swamp, Heat and City's preference for signing injured players and players getting injured during a match. We have no control over the last one

18 hours ago, heart_fan10 said:

The injury wS really bad luck for Zullo.

Overall it just seemed to me that you could tell he hadn't played regularly for a long time and was super rusty. I thought in the last couple of games he was starting to show glimpses of his old self and now this set back.

I would be cautious about paying him "too much" for next year.

48 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

The injury wS really bad luck for Zullo.

Overall it just seemed to me that you could tell he hadn't played regularly for a long time and was super rusty. I thought in the last couple of games he was starting to show glimpses of his old self and now this set back.

I would be cautious about paying him "too much" for next year.

Isn't that precisely the problem with players who end up being termed "injury prone"? And why we should not sign them when we have cap limitations? 

• 1 month later...

Michael Zullo Departs To Pursue A-League Opportunity

Thursday, 12 May 2016

Melbourne City can today confirm Michael Zullo will pursue another opportunity in the Hyundai A-League following the conclusion of the Club’s 2015/16 campaign.

Zullo joined the Club at the start of the 2015/16 season, signing from FC Utrecht, and made a total of 15 appearances, playing an important role in City's record-breaking season.

The Club would like to thank Michael for his contribution and professionalism during his time at Melbourne City and wishes him all the best in his future endeavours.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/michael-zullo-departs-to-pursue-a-league-opportunity/1rvp5jo8f3gew1iegyf3u491p6

Edited by Murfy1

The only Australian fullbacks available now (i.e. out of contract in June) are:

- Luke Wilkshire (34, RB, plays for Terek Grozny in Russia)

- Shane Cansdell-Sherriff (33, LB, plays for Burton Albion in League One)

- Dylan Murnane (21, LB, melbourne victory)

- Callum Elder (21, LB, Leicester City U21)

Slim pickings.

It looks like JVS is continuing his proud traditions of having too many wingers and no left-back..... 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

The only Australian fullbacks available now (i.e. out of contract in June) are:

- Luke Wilkshire (34, RB, plays for Terek Grozny in Russia)

- Shane Cansdell-Sherriff (33, LB, plays for Burton Albion in League One)

- Dylan Murnane (21, LB, melbourne victory)

- Callum Elder (21, LB, Leicester City U21)

Slim pickings.

It looks like JVS is continuing his proud traditions of having too many wingers and no left-back..... 

To be honest Murfy, I believe the club have probably not signed him due to his injury record. He would be getting paid quite a bit and they probably feel he isn't worth gambling on.

I presume Muscat can play there?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, silva10 said:

To be honest Murfy, I believe the club have probably not signed him due to his injury record. He would be getting paid quite a bit and they probably feel he isn't worth gambling on.

I presume Muscat can play there?

Yes, Muscat can play at LB. He's a pretty versatile defensive utility, who can play as a RB, LB, defensive midfielder (who screens the back four) or at a pinch a centre-half. 

But to be perfectly honest, Manny Muscat has rarely caught my eye during his years in the A-League (the best thing that could perhaps be said about him is that he rarely makes noticeable mistakes) . He's played for a pretty mediocre team in the Wellington Phoenix, which has a pretty poor defence (Wellington was one of only two teams to have a worse defence than Melbourne City last season). I really hope Muscat proves me wrong, because right now I'm not hopeful that he can really help our defence, which needs a lot of help to improve next season.

Right now Garuccio--who it seems we're keeping, as it seems there's no chance of a swap deal with him for Elrich-- just shades it over Clisby as our most preferable LB IMO.

CFG need to start working some magic to make our off-season a good news story, because right now there's not a lot to get excited about moving towards next season.

Edited by Murfy1

1 minute ago, Murfy1 said:

Yes, Muscat can play at LB. He's a pretty versatile defensive utility, who can play as a RB, LB, defensive midfielder (who screens the back four) or at a pinch a centre-half. 

But to be perfectly honest, Manny Muscat has rarely caught my eye during his years in the A-League (the best thing that could perhaps be said about him is that he rarely makes noticeable mistakes) . He's played for a pretty mediocre team in the Wellington Phoenix, which has a pretty poor defence (Wellington was one of only two teams to have a worse defence than Melbourne City last season). I really hope Muscat proves me wrong, because right now I'm not hopeful that he can really help our defence, which needs a lot of help to improve next season.

Right now Garuccio--who it seems we're keeping, as it seems there's no chance of a swap deal with him for Elrich-- just shades it over Clisby as our most preferable LB IMO.

CFG need to start working some magic to make our off-season a good news story, because right now there's not a lot to get excited about moving towards next season.

I actually believe Clisby is a better defender than Garuccio. Ben should be playing on the left hand side of midfield.

I think everyone knows by now CFG won't make any comments regarding future signings. They will announce them when they sign them. It's frustrating because as a fan you want to hear something is happening on player recruitment. I am sure there is and am hoping we have a more balanced squad next season.

16 minutes ago, silva10 said:

I actually believe Clisby is a better defender than Garuccio. Ben should be playing on the left hand side of midfield.

I think everyone knows by now CFG won't make any comments regarding future signings. They will announce them when they sign them. It's frustrating because as a fan you want to hear something is happening on player recruitment. I am sure there is and am hoping we have a more balanced squad next season.

I'd agree that Clisby is slightly better defensively. However, Clisby is so often lost when he goes in the attacking half, and I'd say Melbourne City need full-backs who can offer support in attack, and because Zullo offers plenty going forward by a whisker I'd prefer him. Clisby's passing was 10% worse in the attacking half than in the defensive half last season (compared with only a 3% decrease with Garuccio and Franjic), and Garuccio and Franjic both had 3 and 4 assists respectively, compared with Clisby's 0, and created 2 to 3 times as many chances as him.

In short, I think Garuccio is only a tiny bit worse defensively than Clisby, and I back Garuccio more to improve defensively than I back Clisby to improve offensively. 

Right now it's going to be a hard slog to sign up more members for next season. Things just don't look good ATM. And unless CFG and Melbourne City really careful, by next season the club's membership base could shrink for a second season in a row.

Not sure why people are too disappointed here tbh. Ravaged with injury, and want overly impressive when he did play.

Elrich would be a massive upgrade imo 

Edit . just saw we missed out on Elrich. Bummer

Edited by bt50

I think that Zullo is too injury prone and his immediate past record over the last three seasons does not seem to indicate otherwise. I suppose that by this time next season we shall see how he fares injury wise. Give me another 12 months before I decide whether this was a stupid move to let him go or not.

37 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Not sure why people are too disappointed here tbh. Ravaged with injury, and want overly impressive when he did play.

Elrich would be a massive upgrade imo 

Edit . just saw we missed out on Elrich. Bummer

Problem is there are fuck all other Australian left backs that are half decent. Perth start Marc Warren every game for example. 

We're gonna have to use a visa spot.

3 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Problem is there are fuck all other Australian left backs that are half decent. Perth start Marc Warren every game for example. 

We're gonna have to use a visa spot.

Yeh i get that but most teams carries at least one dodgy spot. Fuck how many times was Steffanuto a premiership full back.

Even prior to his injury at the end Zullo was no longer playing in the lb role and he was hardly anything to write home over in midfield. 

The key will be nailing our marquee visa and then remaining visa spot. Get those right and we'll be every chance.

Sorensen

Franjic Chapman/Malik Visa Clisby

Brattan

Caceras Marquee Visa

Novillo/castelan Fornaroli Castelan/Kamau

Thats a pretty strong side on paper if those visas are nailed.

31 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Would rather Zullo plays 50% of the games than Clisby plays 100% 

Why because he leaves a massive hole on the left side for teams to exploit?

Glad to see the back of him. 

We will get 2 defensive player and will be solid.

We have Kamau and Fitzy for the attacking wing play and that's enough.

7 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Who do suggest will replace Zullo? As already mentioned the available left backs are pretty lean. Zullo when fit was quality. Problem last season that wasn't enough. 

He won't be easily replaced. 

11 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Have you thought that perhaps its a reflection of the tactics used by the manager as opposed to the player.  I doubt any of our defenders would have a good reputation if judged only on this season. Don't you? 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1