Melbourne Football

Michael Zullo

kingofhearts

You're right (especially the 'on paper' part), but I'm keeping this quote saved for when people are complaining about how shit our defence is after a few rounds.

Let's not forget we had the three best players in the league, on paper, at the start of last season (Villa, Koren, Duff).

#jvs

look, I wouldn't be surprised if this re-emerges given our defensive track record but some next level fuck-ups have to occur for us not go minimum top 4 this season, even with JVS at the helm

Big signing. Very pleased that the club has secured Zullo. This simply must be our club's best ever defence:

Zullo     Kisnorbo   Hughes/Chapman   Franjic

Velaphi

The likes of Kisnorbo, Chapman and Velaphi did very well last season, and I really believe having 2 proper attacking fullbacks will take our team up a level. Given that our midfield (of Mooy, Melling, Koren, Paartalu) is already fantastic, and the best in the league IMO, I reckon with our defence we could legitimately have both the best midfield and the best defence next season.

Zullo complements the team so well because he's a pacy attacking fullback, who's a good age (26) and has excellent experience for a 26 year old, having spent 5 years in the Netherlands and having played 10 games for the Socceroos. He is without doubt one of Australia's best LBs ATM. Having Zullo and Franjic on both flanks will make our team unpredictable, as no opposition will just have to defend against one of our full-backs as both Zullo and Franjic can overlap and cause havoc to an opponents defence.

I would have preferred a 2 year deal, but given that Zullo is recovering from a long term injury a one year deal is understandable, as the club is understandably weary of signing up a player that might break down with injury mid-way through next season. That why the news in the announcement, that he's fit enough to travel with the team to the Gold Coast this weekend, is so excellent to read, as it sounds like his recovery is just about complete:

Zullo underwent his medical at the City Football Academy, Melbourne, on Tuesday and is expected to travel with van’t Schip’s squad ahead of this Saturday night’s clash with Manchester City FC at Cbus Super Stadium on the Gold Coast.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-signs-michael-zullo/c3m7i24dwtyg1ogen9twn4v2g

Thrilled to have 2 proper fullbacks at the club again. Welcome Zullo!

• Like 2

Like everybody else and as my previous post indicated very excited with this signing.

I was fortunate to be at the season opener at Suncorp/Lang Park a number of years ago when Zullo made his debut off the bench for Roar as a left winger.  Although he was just 19 (i think) his pace and desire to take on his man changed that game.  I was seriously impressed and as a result have kept an eye on his career ever since.

A couple of things:

• Zullo is a converted winger, Tommy Oar took that spot at Roar when he came along and Zullo was moved to left back.  As you can imagine it took him a while to learn his trade when he was converted but he's done so well no one on here seemed to even notice (I have no problem with converted wingers as fullbacks incidentally, as long as they grasp the concept of defending)
  • I reckon it was Zullo himself who wanted a one year deal.  He always talks about Europe, but his previous injury woes made a new contract there much harder for him

• Like 1

Was doing some reading on Michael just a few weeks ago, and thought we'd be no chance. When fit easily one of the best domestic LB's available. 
Recruitment of Australian players thus far has been fantastic, hopefully Michael and Scorey's knees have no future issues, as they'll play a big part in any potential success. But both signings have elements of risk attached. wonder how much the "facilities" played a part in them choosing to sign with City. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Europe is 'unfinished business' for Zullo

10 September 2015

Ben Somerford

Melbourne City recruit Michael Zullo admits he has “unfinished business” in Europe and says he wanted to sign a one-year deal to get the best out of himself.

Zullo, 26, returned to the A-League with City on a one-year contract in July, after his final year with FC Utrecht was ruined by a season-long knee injury.

The left-sided defender/midfielder made a return to action in pre-season after almost 12 months out, against no less than Manchester City.

Zullo has added two FFA Cup appearances including a start against Wellington Phoenix and, while he is still re-building his match fitness, has his eyes firmly focused on Round One, readily stating the date and opponent without a moment’s hesitation.

The decision by City and Zullo to agree to only a one-year deal raised a few eyebrows, but the player said that was designed mutually by both parties to keep him on edge.

Without wanting to get ahead of himself, the former Brisbane Roar man concedes Europe was a consideration too.

“I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have unfinished business over there. I definitely do,” Zullo told FourFourTwo.

“Finally in my last year at Utrecht, I was in the peak of my form and confidence, all the stars aligned, I had a coach that liked me, I had a position which was mine, but then I tore my ACL.

“That’s how it goes sometimes but I still feel I’m good enough for Europe. In saying that, you want to be somewhere you can perform at the peak of your powers and you can do a lot of things in the A-League.”

Zullo is buoyed by Ange Postecoglou’s reign as Socceroos coach whereby opportunities have been forthcoming for A-League based Australians.

Two-and-a-half years ago, Zullo was Australia’s starting left-back against Romania, but now he’s well behind the likes of Jason Davidson and Aziz Behich.

However, one strong campaign in the A-League, like he enjoyed two seasons ago on loan at Adelaide United, could open doors for him.

“Playing in the A-League doesn’t count you out of much anymore,” he said.

“You can still be a national team player, you can still get a good transfer, so there’s a lot of opportunities. I’m really happy to be at Melbourne City.”

He added: “Of course I think about the Socceroos. It’s the pinnacle of our game.

“It’s in the back of my head. It’s something I’m keen to get involved with again but there are things that need to happen first before I can get involved.

“My first priority is to stay fit and play well for Melbourne City and take my career to the maximum heights.”

Signing a one-year deal at City is all part of his bid to reach “maximum heights” again.

“I just wanted to be kept on my toes. I’m just backing myself to perform,” Zullo said.

“The safest thing would’ve been to have signed a multi-year deal, kicked back and taken my time.

“For me, this is a pivotal season in my career. I’m on that imaginary border line between middle age and young.

“The one-year deal keeps everything real. It keeps the pressure on me to perform week-in week-out.

“You know every game and every minute of training is important and I thrive under that pressure.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/europe-unfinished-business-zullo

Like everybody else and as my previous post indicated very excited with this signing.

I was fortunate to be at the season opener at Suncorp/Lang Park a number of years ago when Zullo made his debut off the bench for Roar as a left winger.  Although he was just 19 (i think) his pace and desire to take on his man changed that game.  I was seriously impressed and as a result have kept an eye on his career ever since.

A couple of things:

• Zullo is a converted winger, Tommy Oar took that spot at Roar when he came along and Zullo was moved to left back.  As you can imagine it took him a while to learn his trade when he was converted but he's done so well no one on here seemed to even notice (I have no problem with converted wingers as fullbacks incidentally, as long as they grasp the concept of defending)
  • I reckon it was Zullo himself who wanted a one year deal.  He always talks about Europe, but his previous injury woes made a new contract there much harder for him

green line for me. 1 year deal was Zullo's idea.

Europe is 'unfinished business' for Zullo

10 September 2015

Ben Somerford

Melbourne City recruit Michael Zullo admits he has “unfinished business” in Europe and says he wanted to sign a one-year deal to get the best out of himself.

Zullo, 26, returned to the A-League with City on a one-year contract in July, after his final year with FC Utrecht was ruined by a season-long knee injury.

The left-sided defender/midfielder made a return to action in pre-season after almost 12 months out, against no less than Manchester City.

Zullo has added two FFA Cup appearances including a start against Wellington Phoenix and, while he is still re-building his match fitness, has his eyes firmly focused on Round One, readily stating the date and opponent without a moment’s hesitation.

The decision by City and Zullo to agree to only a one-year deal raised a few eyebrows, but the player said that was designed mutually by both parties to keep him on edge.

Without wanting to get ahead of himself, the former Brisbane Roar man concedes Europe was a consideration too.

“I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have unfinished business over there. I definitely do,” Zullo told FourFourTwo.

“Finally in my last year at Utrecht, I was in the peak of my form and confidence, all the stars aligned, I had a coach that liked me, I had a position which was mine, but then I tore my ACL.

“That’s how it goes sometimes but I still feel I’m good enough for Europe. In saying that, you want to be somewhere you can perform at the peak of your powers and you can do a lot of things in the A-League.”

Zullo is buoyed by Ange Postecoglou’s reign as Socceroos coach whereby opportunities have been forthcoming for A-League based Australians.

Two-and-a-half years ago, Zullo was Australia’s starting left-back against Romania, but now he’s well behind the likes of Jason Davidson and Aziz Behich.

However, one strong campaign in the A-League, like he enjoyed two seasons ago on loan at Adelaide United, could open doors for him.

“Playing in the A-League doesn’t count you out of much anymore,” he said.

“You can still be a national team player, you can still get a good transfer, so there’s a lot of opportunities. I’m really happy to be at Melbourne City.”

He added: “Of course I think about the Socceroos. It’s the pinnacle of our game.

“It’s in the back of my head. It’s something I’m keen to get involved with again but there are things that need to happen first before I can get involved.

“My first priority is to stay fit and play well for Melbourne City and take my career to the maximum heights.”

Signing a one-year deal at City is all part of his bid to reach “maximum heights” again.

“I just wanted to be kept on my toes. I’m just backing myself to perform,” Zullo said.

“The safest thing would’ve been to have signed a multi-year deal, kicked back and taken my time.

“For me, this is a pivotal season in my career. I’m on that imaginary border line between middle age and young.

“The one-year deal keeps everything real. It keeps the pressure on me to perform week-in week-out.

“You know every game and every minute of training is important and I thrive under that pressure.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/europe-unfinished-business-zullo

So he signs for us to be used as a springboard. Work him to the bone now! MUAHAHA!

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

For someone to come back from injury and perform like that I was well happy. BLITZED IT!!!!!

Agree. If he can string a good month together he could potentially transform the side. With him and Franjic bombing both wings will be good viewing. 

• Like 2

Zullo buzzing to be back for City

Con Stamocostas

9 January, 2016

Melbourne City left-back Michael Zullo says Saturday’s clash against Western Sydney Wanderers is a must win if City have any thoughts about closing the gap at the top of the A-League ladder.

City are in third place on 21 points and are six points behind the second placed Wanderers. Saturday’s game could be a season defining six pointer.

If City can win in front of their home fans tonight it will cut down the deficit to just three points but if Wanderers win they will extend the gap to nine points for that crucial second spot on the A-League ladder.

The last time the two teams met in Melbourne was in round six and that game resulted in a 3-0 win to Wanderers.

Zullo says that if City are to get a win they can’t follow the same example of last week’s pulsating game against Sydney FC.

“To be honest, that’s not what we as players want,” he told FourFourTwo.

“It is entertaining for the fans and exciting to watch on TV. But from a player’s point of view we want to maintain possession and stifle the opposition and give them as little opportunities as possible.

“It was a pretty frantic game and a pretty open game. So hopefully against Western Sydney Wanderers this weekend we can restrict the amount of chances they get to a minimum because I think we were pretty lucky at half time to not have already conceded a few goals. 

“All the boys are aware of that and that it needs to change this weekend.”

During the opening moments of the game against the Sky Blues, Melbourne City where under the pump.

City coach John Van't Schip arrested some of the defensive issues by making an early substitute when he brought on Michael Zullo for Ali Eyigun. Zullo said that he was glad his input in the game made a difference.

“There were a few reasons why I was happy about the weekend," he said.

“I was happy to make my first appearance in a while and to come back from injury as it has been a long time. At the same time I was happy with the positive influence I had over the team. 

“I guess that’s why JVS put his confidence in me making a difference in the game but also his tactical change also contributed to that and made a big difference – changing formations it helped us reinforce our defence out wide and I think it really paid off.”

Zullo has been injured for most of the season but he said it has allowed him to witness how City has improved as the A-League season has advanced.

“For me watching on I have seen us progress a lot from the team that was playing at the beginning of the season to the team that is playing now,” he said.

“I’ve seen us make really positive steps in the right direction. So that’s always good to see… we have more in us.  Especially if we get a result this week because it’s a pretty important match for us.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/zullo-buzzing-be-back-city#:dFgqwKFNwjA9EA

Great stuff from Zullo

Zullo believes he is at Australia's 'most ambitious club'

January 13, 2016

Ali Abass stole the headlines at the weekend with a fairytale comeback for Sydney FC in their 2-0 victory over Newcastle Jets. But, there was another man among the A-League fixtures who deserves the limelight after returning from a serious ACL injury.

Michael Zullo ran out for Melbourne City after over a year out having suffered a serious knee injury while training for Dutch club FC Utrecht. At the time, Zullo hoped he wold return within six months but he soon missed all the 2014/15 season after his knee required complete reconstruction.

The 27-year-old finally came back in round two of the A-League, only to endure another frustrating 11 weeks on the sideline after straining his calf.

Zullo has figured for City in the their last two games, although the 10-capped Socceroo says it’s still too early to know if he’s over the worst of his injuries.

“It’s hard to say,” Zullo said.

“This is my first full season back after my ACL injury – it is hard to stay fit and to get everything up and firing.

“It’s always going to take a while. It’s not going to be perfect. Hopefully I can keep my body working well and stay fit. And then I am pretty confident that my form will follow.”

Zullo added that one of the hardest part of being injured for a long time is dealing with the mental aspect.

“It’s not easy,” Zullo said.

“Especially for me being at a new club, I wanted to make my mark on things and to show the fans and the club what I am about.

“I haven’t really been able to do that as yet. The club has been really good they’ve been really supportive and lucky I have a really good medical team at Melbourne City.

Zulu has played in Europe and represented the Socceroos, but he feels he still has unfinished business in his career.

“I feel as though this is a really, really good place to be in terms of furthering my career goals,” Zullo said.

“The next box to tick in my career is to win something with a team. And that is something I haven’t been able to achieve even though the clubs I have been at and the clubs that I have played for have been very successful in the years after I left.

“I feel as though Melbourne City is the perfect spot to be if you want to be in Australia and be successful.  It’s probably Australia’s most professional club and definitely the most ambitious club – and I don’t think you can doubt that.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/zullo-believes-he-australias-most-ambitious-club#:Hbw7igAtFJA9EA

Michael Zullo fit and focused on playing key role in Melbourne City's title tilt

January 20, 2016

Michael Lynch

When you haven't played a full 90-minute match for a year and a half as a result of a series of debilitating injuries and your dreams seem to be slipping through your fingers, there are plenty of dark moments.

There are the days when you feel that your career might be over before you have had the chance to achieve what you believe your ability should allow you to, the moments when you fear it could end before you have had the chance to play for big clubs, make your mark with the national team, go to the big tournaments.

By the age of 22, Michael Zullo had made the breakthrough in the A-League with Brisbane Roar, won his first senior cap for the Socceroos and earned his move to Europe, where he was part of a group of young Australians the Roar sold to Dutch Eredivisie club Utrecht.

Five years later, Zullo is older, wiser, more mature and with a greater understanding of the transient nature of the game and the way it can set you up only to knock you down. He is happy simply to be able to play a full game.

Now with Melbourne City, the diminutive left back or left winger (he can operate in either role) is delighted that he was able to start and get through more than a half of football last Saturday when John van 't Schip's men came back from Perth with a 2-2 draw against the Glory.

Zullo was laid low with an anterior cruciate ligament injury when he returned to the A-League to play for Adelaide United in the 2013-14 season and since joining City last winter he has been plagued by a series of other niggling problems which have restricted him to cameos during the first half of the current season.

Now he is ready to play a full 90 minutes but, mindful of tempting fate, says that his main focus is to re-establish himself as a top-flight footballer and win a permanent role in the City starting line-up as a left back.

"My goals after what I have been through are pretty much focused on the next four to five months and just establishing myself here. Hopefully that means being a starting left back and contributing to a winning environment and culture at the club.

"It's something that the club really set out to do this year, to draw a line in the sand and move forward. I just hope to contribute to that and to a successful season," Zullo said on Wednesday as City began preparations for their clash next Monday with Wellington Phoenix.

The game in Perth last weekend was something of a personal marker for the former Socceroo.

"It was a good feeling, it was the first time I had played more than 45 minutes of league football in a year and a half.

"It's been a long build-up, but personally for me it was a pretty big occasion. I am still conscious of the fact that I have a long way to go to get back to where I was and to a level I know I can reach."

He readily admits that there were many low points as he battled to regain fitness, but says that he never once considered throwing in the towel.

"When you first do your ACL you get given a nine-month timeline, but it's never really like that," he said.

"I was fit and training again after seven months, but so long out of the game my body just wasn't really conditioned to professional football again, and as a result I picked up things I had never had any problems with in my career, muscle problems. It wasn't a really happy time, but that's behind me now. 

"Most of the stuff people see is the high points, the things you do on the weekend. The low points are pretty much off camera and when you are by yourself. It can be a pretty lonely time, but I don't think throwing in the towel was ever an option even though there were a lot of low points during that time. I  was picking up injuries that I never had problems with in my career, and all of a sudden they were recurring injuries.

"But a lot of players had been through it and come out on the other side."

Zullo is small, quick and enthusiastic, and that eager-beaver nature might, in some ways, have contributed to the series of recurring injuries that prevented him getting back sooner.

"It's part of my build-up that there's no half doing things. When I am out there I am going at 100 per cent, maybe that was a bit of a curse in a way. Potentially, I needed to ease myself back in really slowly, but then again that's probably one of the reasons why I have achieved what I have in my career, because of never doing things at half-speed, always doing things at 100 per cent and training hard," he said. 

"That might have contributed to the injury problems that I have had, but it's one part of my make-up I don't want to change.

"I have been given the green light to play 90 minutes by the medical staff, but whether I do is entirely in the coach's hands. Physically I feel like I am getting there, I have done some really hard work in the last four or five weeks to get myself ready for the next chapter."

There has been plenty of movement at the City Football Academy, with players leaving (Tando Velaphi and David Williams) and new ones arriving (Central Coast duo Anthony Caceres and Nick Fitzgerald).

Zullo says that he and the squad accept the ins and outs as part of the game.

"The older you get and the more experience you have in the game you just become desensitised to players coming and going. It's just part of the job. Someone can be a teammate one day, and three or four days later you can be playing against them. It's part of being a footballer. But it can be very exciting if you are a player looking to get a move somewhere else."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/michael-zullo-fit-and-focused-on-playing-key-role-in-melbourne-citys-title-tilt-20160120-gm9r38.html

Edited by Murfy1

Zullo praises City's professionalism

25 January 2016

John Greco

Michael Zullo says a competitive environment and an atmosphere of ambition is the key behind Melbourne City’s stunning Hyundai A-League form.

City surged to second on the ladder on Monday night after an eye-catching 3-1 disposal of Wellington Phoenix at AAMI Park.

Some of City’s football was sublime, with Zullo, Bruno Fornaroli, Harry Novillo and Aaron Mooy the chief contributors.

John van ‘t Schip’s side has now scored an incredible 40 goals from their 16 games this season and they will take some stopping come finals time.

“The environment is firstly very competitive which is imperative for a successful side,” Zullo told Fox Sports.

“We’ve got competition for spots all over the park now which maybe we didn’t have at the start of the season.

“More importantly it’s just an atmosphere of enthusiasm and ambition.

“We’re not interested in coming second or third, we want to win the league. We’re second now so we’re one off where we want to be.”

Fornaroli got things rolling with his 13th goals of the season on 12 minutes before Novillo struck either side of half-time to have the three points wrapped up with 40 minutes still to play.

While City didn’t have a bad player, Novillo was a clear man-of-the-match and Zullo feels the Frenchman is taking his game to great heights this season.

“He’s a very special player and he’s shown what he’s capable of now,” the Socceroos winger said of Novillo.

“His whole youth set up he’s come through Olympic Lyon, you don’t do that unless you have unbelievable talent and he’s starting to show that now.

“He’s a powerful guy and his work ethic is starting to pick up now and it’s taking his game to another level.”

Zullo was also delighted to get through the full 90 minutes himself after a season which has been plagued by injuries.

“I’m happy to be back, happy to be contributing to my side and I just want to stay fit and keep going until the end of the season,” he said.

“I’m a bit disappointed I didn’t keep it going in the second half. I didn’t get any assists which is always the goal for me each half.

“What’s important for me now is to get some rhythm in my body that’s when I’m going to hit my best form, when I can play consecutive games week after week, get fit and hopefully contribute to a winning side.

“I think we have a very talented group of players this year and we can do some special stuff.”

City next travels to Western Sydney on Friday night for a top-of-the-table clash against the Wanderers at Pirtek Stadium.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/michael-zullo-praises-melbourne-citys-professionalism/19mpuvho26rzw1xmo5hoawncxw

Quite easily his best performance first half. The run he made at the start of the game was scintillating and he even got in a good shot at the end. He continued that throughout the game and late on was making good tackles, even though he was suffering from cramp. I think having Melling on his side gave him that freedom to get forward, because Jacob has the pace to cover him.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Brisbane Roar want to lure Michael Zullo back from Melbourne City to link up with Tommy Oar again

By Marco Monteverde

March 16, 2016

HAVING lured Tommy Oar home, Brisbane Roar could soon make a play for another of their former stars — Michael Zullo.

The Roar are understood to be monitoring the progress of Zullo, whose year-long deal with Melbourne City expires in the off-season.

Brisbane coach John Aloisi will get a first-hand look at Zullo on Friday night when the Roar take on City in a match crucial for both teams’ A-League premiership chances.

Zullo, 27, made 53 appearances for the Roar between 2007 and 2010 before the club sold him, Oar and Adam Sarota to Dutch side FC Utrecht for $1.8 million.

His ability to play anywhere on the left makes him a valuable asset, particularly with veteran left full-back Shane Stefanutto retiring at the end of the season.

Zullo would provide plenty of competition for contracted left back Corey Brown, with his versatility adding to his appeal.

City are yet to make Zullo a concrete offer for next season.

“I’m still happy at City, and we’re communicating, but we’ll just have to see what happens,” the former Socceroo told The Courier-Mail.

“I’m not sure where I’ll be playing next season.

“What I’m focused on at the moment is contributing to City and making sure we are

successful this season. I want to win something with them.”

Zullo admits to still finding it odd to play against the Roar.

“They’re the club I supported before I was a professional so it feels a bit strange whenever I play for a team against them,” he said.

Such feelings will be magnified tomorrow night if, as expected, Oar makes his first appearance for the Roar since rejoining the club less than three weeks ago.

“We’ve been teammates at two clubs which is a pretty unique situation. I’ve never played against him,” Zullo said.

“It’s going to be great to see my little friend.

“I’m not sure how the Roar got him back home but big kudos to them for doing it.

“It’s always something special to play for your hometown club and I’m sure Tommy can’t wait for the game if he’s selected.”

Having been stifled by injury for the first few months of the season, Zullo has enjoyed his recent run of games.

He has made 12 appearances for City, eight as a starter.

“I’m really happy with my fitness at the moment and not having any injury concerns,” he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/teams/brisbane-roar/brisbane-roar-want-to-lure-michael-zullo-back-from-melbourne-city-to-link-up-with-tommy-oar-again/news-story/6ce8b8805ae27aade91ff82bdaeac231?from=public_rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I have little doubt that, despite our outs and ins during January, we have a potential salary cap problem for next season. With everyone fit and available we do have an excellent squad, so it's going to be hard to keep them all happy for next season. Zullo, coming out of contract, is one of the players the club has to look hard at in their calculations.

Edited by jw1739

• 3 weeks later...